Submit questions about Billboard charts, as well as general music musings, to email@example.com.
Please include your first and last name, as well as your city, state and country, if outside the U.S.
Or, tweet @gthot20.
For all KatyCats, let's recap the U.S. sales of Katy Perry's albums, as well as her most-streamed and best-selling songs and her most-heard hits on radio, through the week ending Aug. 20.
All figures are per (purr?) Nielsen Music/MRC Data.
Album sales3.1 million, Teenage Dream (2010) / 1.74 million, PRISM (2013) / 1.73 million, One of the Boys (2008) / 311,000, Witness (2017) / 63,000, MTV Unplugged EP (2009)
Most-streamed songs, on-demand1.2 billion, "Dark Horse" (feat. Juicy J) / 904 million, "Roar" / 526 million, "Firework" / 509 million, "Con Calma" (Daddy Yankee feat. Perry & Snow) / 481 million, "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)"
401 million, "E.T." (feat. Kanye West) / 399 million, "Feels" (Calvin Harris feat. Pharrell Williams, Perry & Big Sean) / 394 million, "Hot N Cold" / 388 million, "California Gurls" (feat. Snoop Dogg) / 323 million, "Swish Swish" (feat. Nicki Minaj)
Best-selling songs7.4 million downloads sold, "Firework" / 6.6 million, "Roar" / 6.4 million, "Dark Horse" / 6 million, "E.T." / 5.9 million, "California Gurls"
5.8 million, "Hot N Cold" / 5 million, "Teenage Dream" / 4.8 million, "I Kissed a Girl" / 3.8 million, "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)" / 3.5 million, "Wide Awake"
Most-heard songs on radio6.8 billion audience impressions, "Firework" / 6.6 billion, "Dark Horse" / 6.3 million "Teenage Dream" / 6.2 billion, "Hot N Cold" / 6 billion, "Roar"
5.3 billion, "California Gurls" / 4.3 billion, "E.T." / 3.8 billion, "Wide Awake" / 3.6 billion, "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)" / 3.2 billion, "The One That Got Away"
Lead Smile single "Daisies" (whose title turned out to be a heartwarming clue) hit No. 40 on the Billboard Hot 100 upon its debut in May, becoming Perry's 25th top 40 hit. On Adult Pop Songs, it became her 16th top 10.
Now, the set's title cut is getting early radio interest. It debuts at No. 28 on the Adult Contemporary chart (dated Aug. 29), thanks to plays on WINC Winchester, Va., in the tracking week, when it was the station's fourth-most-played song.
"Smile" was also the third-most-played song of the week on Pop Songs chart reporter Radio Disney.
Meanwhile, earlier this month, ABC announced that Perry will return, along with Luke Bryan and Lionel Richie, to the judges panel on American Idol next season.
As "I Hope" by Gabby Barrett rises to the top 10 of the Hot 100, she scores the latest top 10 by a one-time American Idol contestant, as she placed third in 2018.
She earns the first top 10 by an Idol singer since original champion Kelly Clarkson, with "Piece by Piece" in 2016. She's the first Idol finalist to earn a first top 10 since Phillip Phillips, with "Home," which hit No. 6 in 2013.
Jesper TanSubang Jaya, Malaysia
Approaching 20 years after its premiere in 2002, Idol continues to make an impact on Billboard charts and, as of this week, again in the Hot 100's top 10.
"What an amazing journey this song has taken me on," Barrett toldBillboard last month of "I Hope." "I feel so blessed and excited that fans are still loving and listening to it. I am so grateful."
In honor of Barrett's ascent, here's an updated recap of every Hot 100 top 10 by an Idol contestant.
Kelly Clarkson, "A Moment Like This," No. 1 (two weeks), beginning Oct. 5, 2002
American Idol Finalists, "God Bless the U.S.A.," No. 4, May 3, 2003Clay Aiken, "This Is the Night," No. 1 (two weeks), June 28, 2003Ruben Studdard, "Flying Without Wings," No. 2, June 28, 2003Kelly Clarkson, "Miss Independent," No. 9, July 19, 2003
Ruben Studdard, "Sorry 2004," No. 9, Feb. 28, 2004Clay Aiken, "Solitaire," No. 4, April 3, 2004Fantasia, "I Believe," No. 1 (one week), July 10, 2004Kelly Clarkson, "Breakaway," No. 6, Nov. 20, 2004
Kelly Clarkson, "Since U Been Gone," No. 2, April 9, 2005Kelly Clarkson, "Behind These Hazel Eyes," No. 6, June 11, 2005
Carrie Underwood, "Inside Your Heaven," No. 1 (one week), July 2, 2005Bo Bice, "Inside Your Heaven," No. 2, July 9, 2005Kelly Clarkson, "Because of You," No. 7, Nov. 19, 2005
Taylor Hicks, "Do I Make You Proud," No. 1 (one week), July 1, 2006
(Chris) Daughtry, "It's Not Over," No. 4, Feb. 10, 2007Carrie Underwood, "I'll Stand by You," No. 6, May 12, 2007Kelly Clarkson, "Never Again," No. 8, May 12, 2007(Chris) Daughtry, "Home," No. 5, June 2, 2007Carrie Underwood, "Before He Cheats," No. 8, June 2, 2007Jordin Sparks, "Tattoo," No. 8, Dec. 29, 2007
Jordin Sparks (duet with Chris Brown), "No Air," No. 3, April 26, 2008David Cook, "The Time of My Life," No. 3, June 7, 2008David Archuleta, "Crush," No. 2, Aug. 30, 2008
Kelly Clarkson, "My Life Would Suck Without You," No. 1 (two weeks), Feb. 7, 2009Carrie Underwood (feat. Randy Travis), "I Told You So," No. 9, April 4, 2009Jordin Sparks, "Battlefield," No. 10, Aug. 8, 2009
Adam Lambert, "Whataya Want From Me," No. 10, May 1, 2010
Kelly Clarkson, "Mr. Know It All," No. 10, Nov. 12, 2011
Kelly Clarkson, "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)," No. 1 (three weeks), Feb. 18, 2012
Phillip Phillips, "Home," No. 6, Jan. 19, 2013
Kelly Clarkson, "Piece by Piece," No. 8, March 19, 2016
Gabby Barrett, "I Hope," No. 10 (to date), Aug. 29, 2020
Clarkson leads all Idol finalists with 11 Hot 100 top 10s. Breaking down the rest of the haul of top 10s among the show's contestants: Carrie Underwood (four); Jordin Sparks (three); Clay Aiken, Chris Daughtry (as Daughtry frontman), Ruben Studdard (two each); David Archuleta, Barrett, Bo Bice, David Cook, Taylor Hicks, Adam Lambert and Phillips (one each).
The competition's judges haven't done too badly on the Hot 100, either. Among all who have sat at the panel full-time, Mariah Carey leads with 28 top 10s, followed by Nicki Minaj (19), Perry (14), Lionel Richie (13), Jennifer Lopez (10) and Paula Abdul (eight), for a combined total of 92 top 10s.
Adding Aerosmith's eight Hot 100 top 10s, sung by Steven Tyler, an Idol judge in 2011 and 2012, the sum jumps to an even 100.
See more here:
- Capitol riot suspect arrested after giant tattoo revealed on video - The Independent - June 9th, 2021
- The Sacred Male Body Modification Practices That Still Exist Today - InsideHook - May 16th, 2021
- `We were never terrorists`: Proud Boys Canada officially dissolved` - WION - May 4th, 2021
- Farmer Boys celebrating 40th anniversary with free burger tattoo - KTNV Las Vegas - April 19th, 2021
- Here are the nine men from Hudson Valley charged with participating in Jan. 6 Capitol riot - Times Herald-Record - April 19th, 2021
- Crowdfunding Hate in the Name of Christ - The Nation - April 4th, 2021
- Guest Opinion | Reflections on the course Women Unknown: Fight for Independence - UI The Daily Iowan - April 4th, 2021
- Part 3: How a Trini played a role in the life of Nipsey Hussle - Loop News Trinidad and Tobago - April 4th, 2021
- We want to keep him alive Family, friends remember San Antonios Tito Bradshaw two years later - San Antonio Express-News - April 4th, 2021
- Quick on the draw: Castagna the chaotic Tiger with a tattoo gun - The Age - April 4th, 2021
- Love Island Australias Phoebe Thompson reveals WAP lip tattoo as she celebrates birthday - The Irish Sun - March 8th, 2021
- Brave, Powerful, Complicated: The Most Formidable Heroines In Film - British Vogue - March 8th, 2021
- Jaden Hill is LSU's ace pitcher who has a bigger calling in life: 'I'm chosen to help people' - The Advocate - February 19th, 2021
- Gangland: a book about meth and the people whose lives it touches - The Spinoff - February 17th, 2021
- SA tattoo artist to the stars on taking his skill abroad - News24 - February 14th, 2021
- Memories of dad help make University of Houston's Justin Gorham a rebounding machine - Houston Chronicle - February 11th, 2021
- Tauranga's strongest head to the Highlands - The Bay's News First - SunLive - February 6th, 2021
- Nick Carter of Backstreet Boys Got His Paris Hilton Tattoo Just 3 Week Before They Broke up - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 30th, 2021
- 2 Green Country Women Share Stories Through Tattoo Ink; Competing In National Contest - News On 6 - January 30th, 2021
- Gangs? Cliques? Subgroups? Call Them What You Will There've Been 18 (Yes, 18) In The LA Sheriff's Department - LAist - January 22nd, 2021
- Trump's useful thugs: how the Republican party offered a home to the Proud Boys - The Guardian - January 22nd, 2021
- Proud Boys among groups being watched as inauguration approaches. Do they have Northeast Ohio ties? - Akron Beacon Journal - January 20th, 2021
- Who are Proud Boys? The Western chauvinist far-right group explained and what Donald Trump has previously said about them - The Scotsman - January 15th, 2021
- Theyve been hidden too long: Report details Los Angeles Sheriffs deputy gangs and violence toward communities of color - East Bay Times - January 15th, 2021
- Hawaii Proud Boy Charged By DOJ After Raiding US Capitol - Honolulu Civil Beat - January 9th, 2021
- Swimming With My Shirt Off - The New York Times - January 9th, 2021
- How the Internet Reflected on and Coped With the Capitol Attack - Hyperallergic - January 9th, 2021
- The Weekly-ish Mailbag is mailing it in this week. - Off Tackle Empire - December 31st, 2020
- Four months before her wedding, Mary knew it was over - Sydney Morning Herald - December 19th, 2020
- Family, determination and a dream: The Real Woods story - The Stanford Daily - December 16th, 2020
- Skating solo gives me time to study everyone else on the rink - The Globe and Mail - December 16th, 2020
- LOCAL NEWS BRIEFS: Price is Right Live show rescheduled - Goshen News - December 16th, 2020
- Controversial Mom Made One Of Her Twin Toddlers Get A Tattoo For Very Important Reason - BabyGaga - December 11th, 2020
- Mum of twins tattoos one so she can tell them apart leaving mother-in-law fuming - Daily Star - December 11th, 2020
- Farmingtons mayor of 12 years memorializes his experience in tattoo - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - December 8th, 2020
- Im A Celebrity superfan gets tattoo of Ant and Dec at Gwrych Castle inked onto his thigh - The Sun - December 1st, 2020
- MacAdam: Fascination with Mike Tyson began in Albany - The Daily Gazette - November 27th, 2020
- 'Home town boys' return to Philippi Main Street - The Inter-Mountain - November 20th, 2020
- The Post-Election Proud Boys Meltdown Is Here, and It's Ugly - The Daily Beast - November 12th, 2020
- I just want to be with my friends: how will children cope with being cooped up again in second lockdown? - The Guardian - November 9th, 2020
- 240+ Inspirational & Meaningful One Word Tattoos (2020 ... - November 6th, 2020
- 75+ Best Small Tattoos For Men (2020) - Simple Cool ... - November 6th, 2020
- Tickets for sale in Snohomish County and around the region - The Daily Herald - November 5th, 2020
- Seances, tattoos and the unbreakable bond between Mikaela Mayer and Al Mitchell - ESPN - October 30th, 2020
- Students rediscover their childhood fandoms on TikTok - Daily Northwestern - October 29th, 2020
- Chase Winovich talks playing time, conspiracy theories with Zolak & Bertrand - 98.5 The Sports Hub - October 22nd, 2020
- The Cycle of Punitive Justice Starts in Schools. Eric Butler Is Showing Kids and Teachers How to Break It. - Mother Jones - October 21st, 2020
- The Proud Boys? - SOFREP - October 16th, 2020
- Theatre Alliance to perform outdoor production of Devil Boys from Beyond - Yes! Weekly - October 16th, 2020
- Freshers' Flu - Why My Mum Invented COVID - Cherwell Online - October 10th, 2020
- Who Are the Proud Boys Trump Told To 'Stand Back and Stand By'? - Snopes.com - October 8th, 2020
- Dan Osbornes tattoo shows hes protective of Jacqueline Jossa & the meaning behind Brooklyn Beckhams spoo - The Sun - October 7th, 2020
- When the Proud Boys came to town - The Economist - October 7th, 2020
- The ten essential facts you need to know about BTS's Suga - Film Daily - October 6th, 2020
- 30 Best Neck Tattoos for Boys and Girls - The Best Tattoo ... - September 30th, 2020
- Best 100+ Tattoo Designs For Men and Boys - Youme And Trends - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys, the extremist group Trump named in the debate - Insider - INSIDER - September 30th, 2020
- Fred Perry Will Denounce Proud Boys, But The President Won't - Highsnobiety - September 30th, 2020
- Hooligans With Heart: Phoenix Risings Red Fury fan club reaches out to refugees - Cronkite News - September 30th, 2020
- Whats New on Netflix UK & Top 10s: September 30th, 2020 - What's on Netflix - September 30th, 2020
- From the Fields: Soaking it up now | agrinews-pubs.com - Agri News - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys and why did Trump tell them to stand by? - The Irish Sun - September 30th, 2020
- The Giant Proud Boy Rally That Wasn't - VICE - September 28th, 2020
- Dallas Cowboys news: Defense is looking for improvements - Blogging The Boys - September 26th, 2020
- For Australia's military veterans, tattoos are an important reminder of the things they've seen - The Canberra Times - September 26th, 2020
- What is the alt-right group the Proud Boys? - The Sun - September 21st, 2020
- Police investigating after man tried to grab young boy from street - The Northern Echo - September 18th, 2020
- Cowboys news: Reviewing the rookies after the Cowboys season-opener - Blogging The Boys - September 18th, 2020
- Nas makes his latest claim to the throne with King's Disease - NYSMusic - September 18th, 2020
- The Boys Season 2 Episode 4: 20 Easter Eggs And Things You Might Have Missed - GameSpot - September 15th, 2020
- The Boys Season 2 Episode 4: 20 Things You Might Have Missed - GameSpot - September 11th, 2020
- Remembrance of Things Past: A favorite series features a book with a local tie - theday.com - September 11th, 2020
- RCB spinner Adam Zampa speaks of his love for whisky, need to carry microwave on tours - Times Now - September 8th, 2020
- Youth of color disproportionately represented in the justice system - Prescott eNews - September 7th, 2020
- Two "Boogaloo Boys" Allegedly Tried To Supply Weapons To Hamas And Join As Mercenaries - BuzzFeed News - September 6th, 2020
- Sophie Kasaei shows off full sleeve and chest piece in 'tattoo' snap - Heat - September 3rd, 2020
- Failed by the System - Eugene Weekly - September 3rd, 2020
- 'They're going to have to shoot me': A cop's son meets a tragic fate in Morris Township - Morristown Green - September 3rd, 2020
- Youth of color disproportionately represented in the justice system - Cronkite News - September 3rd, 2020
- 2 Boys Arrested In Suspected Attempted Carjacking, Armed Robbery - Patch.com - September 2nd, 2020