Last weekend I spent an entire long run listening to a negative voice criticise every element of my run. This enemy in my own head was so consistent and downbeat in her message that I started to believe her.
I want to stop. Im not fit enough. I dont enjoy running. Not another hill.
I could feel my confidence and posture dip with each mile as I started to accept these messages as truth. But I should have known better. I had met this inner critic many times before on the run.
You may have an inner voice like this yourself. As a beginner, it can stop you from getting out the door for fear of not being a real runner. You dont look like a runner. Your pace is too slow and your breathing is too loud. As we overcome that initial awkwardness, this unhelpful voice rears its head again as we try to build motivation and fitness: You should stay at home, its raining and one more missed run wont make a difference. Even when we build up to running races the voice joins us at the start line: You will never be as good as them. You are not a natural runner. You have not prepared enough.
The negative voice within us seems set on holding us back by vocalising our insecurities just when we could do with a dose of enthusiasm and positivity instead. Thankfully we also have a positive, encouraging voice in there, but for most of us it tends to speak a little quieter. This inner cheerleader thinks we are amazing and can do anything we put our mind to. We might not be able to silence our inner critic, but maybe we could just turn down the volume a bit and let these more positive voices be heard. If we let the loud negative voice become our main influencer, we miss out on so much opportunity and fulfilment that running offers. What holds a lot of us back from running better or achieving new goals rests on the stories we constantly tell ourselves. Which of the voices in your head do you listen to most?
You may think sports psychology is only for elite athletes but we can all use the tricks of the trade to help ourselves run better by training our heads to think more positively. Unless we train ourselves mentally to approach our running with a positive mindset and learn to work to encourage more enthusiasm, we risk letting these negative voices determine our running future. The constant nagging and unhelpful self-talk will drain our energy rather than push us along to our potential.
If you are filling your head with negative thoughts, this will transfer to your running performance and enjoyment. As your confidence drops, you will start to lose your posture, good technique and become heavier on your feet. We spent money, time and energy on strengthening all parts of our body to support our running, but as part of your training this season, could you set aside some time to train your head instead of your legs or your core?
Regardless of your running ambitions, we must take some time to fill our heads with positive images and affirmations to keep us strong, tall, confident and relaxed when we need it most. These images will get us through the tough patches of the run and out of any temporary dip in confidence and energy. Some runners stick post-it notes on walls, others use vision boards and some even have tattoos to remind them to remain positive and focused.
Get inspired and take a little time to create some positive lines that you believe and that will motivate and inspire you to keep on running. Without travelling down the tattoo route, you can simply write your running mantra on the back your hand if it helps keep you positive on the run. Simple mantras like one mile at a time or I can do it have provided great focus for runners who get distracted by negativity along the route.
In hindsight, the reason my inner critic came running with me last weekend was because I didnt have the ideal build-up and preparation to the long run. I wasnt in the right frame of mind. You dont really need to hear all my excuses, but I have plenty. In a nutshell, I was tired, I hadnt eaten well and I was running an unfamiliar hilly route. Instead of accepting these factors and lowering my expectations for the run, I allowed that pessimistic running buddy to lecture me the whole way around.
Sometimes we can get complacent with our running when everything is ticking along relatively fine. But all it takes is one disappointing run to remind us of how important it is to be mentally strong enough to handle the tough days out. If you have a run like I had last week, dont fret. Instead, use it as good motivation to get your mental training back on track for the next occasion. No run is wasted if you learn lessons to take forward to your next run and beyond.
Mary Jennings is founder and running coach with ForgetTheGym.ie. Marys book Get Running published by Gill Books is out now.
Sign up for one of The Irish Times'Get Runningprogrammes (it is free!).First, pick the eight-week programme that suits you.- Beginner Course:Acourse totake you from inactivity to running for 30 minutes.- Stay On Track:For those who can squeeze in a run a few times a week.- 10km Course:Designed for those who want to move up to the 10km mark.Best of luck!
- 10 of the best talented Calgary tattoo artists to get inked by | Curated - Daily Hive - March 8th, 2021
- CURTIS HONEYCUTT: With friends like these ... | Features | albanyherald.com - The Albany Herald - February 17th, 2021
- Stephen Bear branded sick by fans for pretending girlfriend was pregnant with twins with scan ripped off Goo - The Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Local tattoo shops see increase in business as the COVID-19 pandemic continues - The Morning Sun - February 7th, 2021
- Nagaland Locals Shift House On Foot, Watch Video: Trending Topics, Viral Videos and Funny Memes of The Day - LatestLY - February 7th, 2021
- Justice League's Snyder Cut Is Fixing The Most Hated Part Of Leto's Joker - Screen Rant - February 4th, 2021
- Anderson: Sarasota fugitive still running, only now the chase is on to catch him - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - January 30th, 2021
- Married teacher found guilty of having sex with student in a field - Yahoo News Australia - January 30th, 2021
- 23 Fun Long Nail Designs to Copy in 2021 - The Trend Spotter - January 30th, 2021
- One Of The Proud Boys Who Stormed The Capitol Had Instructions For Making Guns And Bombs In His Home, FBI Says - BuzzFeed News - January 30th, 2021
- These Amazing Quilters Will Inspire You To Take Up A New Pandemic Hobby - HuffPost Canada - January 30th, 2021
- Tattoo industry striving to safely ink their way through pandemic - KXXV News Channel 25 - January 25th, 2021
- Former Xbox, SEGA, And EA Head Peter Moore Returns To Gaming - Screen Rant - January 22nd, 2021
- Feds: Man arrested near US Capitol had truckload of weapons - Daily Mountain Eagle - January 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share 6 of their favorite designs to ink, and 5 they don't really like - Yahoo News - January 12th, 2021
- US Capitol riot: the myths behind the tattoos worn by 'QAnon shaman' Jake Angeli - The Conversation UK - January 12th, 2021
- The Myths Behind the Tattoos Worn by 'QAnon Shaman' Jake Angeli - Snopes.com - January 12th, 2021
- Khanyi Mbaus racy tattoo has got the timeline buzzing - All4Women - January 12th, 2021
- Records: Alabama man on bond arrested after Capitol riot - Daily Mountain Eagle - January 12th, 2021
- How Memorial Tattoos Can Help With The Grieving Process - HuffPost - January 9th, 2021
- A radish in a tutu walking a dog? This AI can draw it really well - ABC17News.com - January 9th, 2021
- Stefflon Don Shows Off Upper Thigh Tattoo In Gucci Swimsuit During Ghana Vacation - The Inquisitr - January 9th, 2021
- George Gerdes, Bosch and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo actor, dies at 72 - Yahoo Entertainment - January 5th, 2021
- Taking a look at the Most Useful Android Apps - Programming Insider - January 5th, 2021
- Suspects charged in connection with Steelton shooting - PennLive - January 5th, 2021
- Skin in the game: why getting a tattoo helped me achieve my goals - The Guardian - January 3rd, 2021
- How the Networks Will Fill Airtime on a Quiet New Years Eve - The New York Times - December 31st, 2020
- Why Werent We All Invited To Neymars New Years Eve Party? - The18 - December 31st, 2020
- Mars is revealing its angel, devil and heart "tattoos" as ice melts at its south pole - SYFY WIRE - December 27th, 2020
- Turn Your RPG Character's Into Inked Showcases With The Tome of Mystical Tattoos - TheGamer - December 27th, 2020
- Bloke asks for his mums advice on what tattoo to get and takes her answer WAY too seriously - The Irish Sun - December 23rd, 2020
- Bloke asks for his mums advice on what tattoo to get and takes her answer WAY too seriously - The Sun - December 21st, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077: The Face Tattoos, Ranked - TheGamer - December 17th, 2020
- The 25 Best Latin Songs of 2020: Staff Picks - Billboard - December 17th, 2020
- Cardi B Is Being Sued For The Use Of A Tattoo On Her Album Cover - mit inc - December 12th, 2020
- This Mom Tattooed Her Toddler & We're Actually On Board With It - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 12th, 2020
- Inked for The Very First Time: Madonna shares behind-the-scenes photos of first tattoo at 62 - The Independent - December 9th, 2020
- Keke Palmer Showcases Upper Thigh Tattoo In Tiny Plaid Dress & Leather Knee-High Boots - The Inquisitr - December 8th, 2020
- Sophie Turner shares a never-before-seen photo with Joe Jonas from her pregnancy - Insider - INSIDER - December 6th, 2020
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic Or Memphis Depay Or Sergio Ramos: Whos Got The Best Tattoo On Their Back? - IWMBuzz - December 3rd, 2020
- Oliver Peck Net Worth | What is Tattoo Artist Oliver Peck's Net Worth? - The Cinemaholic - December 2nd, 2020
- Rulers of the Upper Realm, Thunderbirds Are Powerful Native Spirits - National Audubon Society - December 1st, 2020
- Through Positive Eyes: living with HIV and Aids - a photo essay - The Guardian - December 1st, 2020
- A Life On Our Planet: 10 Behind The Scenes Facts You Need To Know - Screen Rant - November 27th, 2020
- Lockdown-defying tattoo shop raided for second time as owner wrongly cites Magna Carta - The Samford Crimson - November 27th, 2020
- EndSARS Protester Inscribes Tattoo On His Chest To Commemorate The Killing Of Nigerians At The Lekki Toll Gate (Photos) - GH Gossip - November 21st, 2020
- Born into occupation, young Afghans fear the Taliban will crush their freedoms when US troops exit - The Bakersfield Californian - November 21st, 2020
- David Fincher: Studios don't want to make anything that can't make billions - FOX 28 Spokane - November 20th, 2020
- BEST PLACES TO GET TATTOOS ON YOUR BODY - Artvoice - November 16th, 2020
- David Fincher: Studios don't want to make anything that can't make billions - lcbcradio.com - November 16th, 2020
- Family Fun: Rocking joy into the world with vibrantly painted rocks - The Spokesman-Review - November 16th, 2020
- The Inconclusive World of Tattoos in the Workplace - Fordham Observer - November 12th, 2020
- Police issue CCTV images of three men over incident on train via Dalmuir - Clydebank Post - November 12th, 2020
- Images released of men after rammy on board Glasgow train - Glasgow Times - November 11th, 2020
- 'I'd been avoiding looking at myself': Breast cancer survivors reveal how mastectomy tattoos changed them - 7NEWS.com.au - November 11th, 2020
- Red Notice: Ryan Reynolds Edits Young Versions of Him & Dwayne Johnson Into Image - Screen Rant - October 31st, 2020
- The Weeknd Likes to Keep a Lot of Things a Mystery Potential Tattoos Included - POPSUGAR - October 30th, 2020
- MAGNUM To Release Special Album, Dance Of The Black Tattoo, In January - bravewords.com - October 24th, 2020
- Images released of suspect in four North York break-and-enters - Toronto Sun - October 23rd, 2020
- 25 Carefree Bird Tattoos for Men in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - October 16th, 2020
- Before They Were Tatted: 10 Rockers Before + After Their Tattoos - Loudwire - October 14th, 2020
- Perthshire farm worker posing as teen rumbled in online paedophile trap by tattoo of his own name - The Courier - October 10th, 2020
- 20 Unforgettable Moon Tattoos for Women in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - October 9th, 2020
- V,I, Council on the Arts celebrated Arts and Humanities Month - Virgin Islands Daily News - October 9th, 2020
- First fossil feather found belonged to this dinosaur - Deccan Herald - October 6th, 2020
- True Meaning behind Paris Jackson & Godfather Macaulay Culkin's Matching Spoon Tattoos - AmoMama - October 6th, 2020
- Artists Quarantine With Their Art Collections - Hyperallergic - October 4th, 2020
- Survivors, First Responders Use Tattoos To Cover Scars From The Route 91 Shooting - KNPR - October 2nd, 2020
- First Fossil Feather Ever Found Belonged to This Dinosaur - The New York Times - September 30th, 2020
- Dolly Parton Addresses Those Tattoo Rumors, Reveals the Moving Reason Behind Her Tasteful Ink - Yahoo Entertainment - September 24th, 2020
- Chinese city orders taxi drivers to remove tattoos (for the women and children) - bdnews24.com - September 24th, 2020
- Chinese city orders taxi drivers to remove tattoos for the women and children - Deccan Herald - September 22nd, 2020
- People are getting coronavirus-themed tattoos of masks, toilet paper - Insider - INSIDER - September 20th, 2020
- Surveillance Images Show Denver Burglar Who Has 25 Tattooed On Forehead - CBS Denver - September 18th, 2020
- The Black Lives Matter Movement Will Change the Future of Tattooing - Yahoo Lifestyle - September 10th, 2020
- Conroe man hit with huge 60-year sentence - Woodlands Online - September 9th, 2020
- Daytonian of the Week lets her artwork tell the story it wants to communicate - dayton.com - September 9th, 2020
- Artist selected to paint mural on Garrett City Hall - KPCnews.com - September 8th, 2020
- Jada Kingdom Shows Off Tattoo Of Boyfriends Name On Her Neck - DancehallMag - September 6th, 2020
- Jungkook Reveals New Tattoo With Meaning That Warms The BTS Army's Hearts - Talent Recap - September 2nd, 2020