The order came in August as transportation officials in Lanzhou, the capital of Gansu province, rolled out a campaign to spruce up the image of local cabdrivers. Ostensibly, the no-tattoo rule was meant to keep some passengers from feeling uncomfortable.
It also coincided with nationwide efforts to dampen the growing popularity of tattoos among younger generations, who are increasingly embracing the once-stigmatised body art.
But one driver in Lanzhou wanted to keep the ink and took to an online government forum to deliver a polite, but pointed, rebuttal to the citys order.
When applying for our driver permit, we submit documents showing that we have no criminal records, wrote the driver, who was not identified in the post and could not be reached for comment. Our tattoos dont turn us into bad guys and criminals.
The driver noted that removing tattoos was painful and expensive, requiring repeat visits to scrub traces of permanent ink from the skin through laser technology. The process can also leave scars and faded patches of colour.
The governments order was simply discriminatory, the driver said.
But in a public response Sept 7, Lanzhous transportation committee did not budge. Without offering evidence, it said that large tattoos on drivers may cause distress to passengers who are women and children.
The committee also insisted that drivers who already have tattoos should remove them through surgical procedures to the greatest extent possible.
It was unclear how the tattoo removal would be enforced or who would pay for it. When reached by telephone Tuesday, representatives of the Lanzhou government declined to comment.
The committees response to the driver was widely reported across China, reviving an age-old debate in a country where tattoos are being increasingly embraced by younger Chinese but are still shunned by those who consider them a mark of criminality.
Tattoo culture began to flourish in China as the country opened up to the West ahead of the Beijing Olympics in 2008. Western influences and pop culture resonated with Chinese audiences. More entertainers and athletes began displaying tattoos in televised appearances, including Lin Dan, a badminton Olympic champion who bared his ink-stained arms during competitions.
Tattoo parlours, schools and conventions multiplied. Some tattoo artists, such as Chen Jie and Joey Pang, pioneered a style that evokes Chinese ink paintings with watercolor-like strokes. Others were influenced by a delicate new style of South Korean mini-tattoos, distinguished by pinprick-thin outlines and pastel colours.
In Japan, where tattoos have long been associated with organised crime syndicates like the yakuza, regulations on tattooing have gradually loosened. Many bathhouses and hot springs still bar tattooed visitors in an attempt to exclude gang members. But in a boon for tattoo parlours and practitioners, the country ruled last week that tattooing did not require a medical license.
In China, the increasing acceptance of tattoos has been resisted by conservative gatekeepers. Television censors blurred images of tattoos, as well as cleavage and mens earrings, in 2017 and in 2019. And Chinese sports officials ordered soccer players with tattooed arms to wear long sleeves during the Asian Cup in the United Arab Emirates last year.
Lanzhous directive may be among the most harsh for taxi drivers.
Changchun, a Chinese city in the northeastern province of Jilin, recently issued its own ban on tattoos for cabdrivers but merely told them to cover them up, not to remove them. (It also told drivers not to smoke, to keep their vehicles clean and to turn on the air conditioning while ferrying passengers.)
The driver in Lanzhou who went public with discontent said that Changchuns approach was preferable and suggested that the local government modify its directive.
I understand that our leaders want to present our industry in a more positive light, the driver wrote. The purpose of telling us to remove our tattoos is so that our passengers dont see them. Covering them up achieves the same result.
After the pushback, Lanzhous transportation committee said that drivers could hide large tattoos on their arms and necks but suggested that it would be a temporary solution.
Those who are unable to remove them completely for the time being should cover them up, the committee said in its reply to the driver.
Other online reaction to the episode has been mixed. In an informal poll on social media asking 3,000 women whether they would ride with taxi drivers sporting tattoos, 850 said they would, and 1,000 said they would not.
A male internet user said on Weibo, a Chinese microblogging platform, that although he respected the art of tattooing, he would become nervous if a tattooed driver took a turn down a deserted road.
Some said the Lanzhou rule simply reflected outdated stereotypes about tattoos. A 29-year-old internet user in Wuhan, Diane Yang, wrote on Weibo: If the higher-ups dont like the look of tattoos, please dont use women as an excuse. Tattoos should not be considered the manifestations of ill intentions.
Its very normal, Li Mingjun, a 21-year-old student in Beijing, said in an interview about body ink. You cant stop someone from making a living just because of a personal preference.
She said she wanted a tattoo for herself.
2020 The New York Times Company
See more here:
- 10 of the best talented Calgary tattoo artists to get inked by | Curated - Daily Hive - March 8th, 2021
- CURTIS HONEYCUTT: With friends like these ... | Features | albanyherald.com - The Albany Herald - February 17th, 2021
- Stephen Bear branded sick by fans for pretending girlfriend was pregnant with twins with scan ripped off Goo - The Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Local tattoo shops see increase in business as the COVID-19 pandemic continues - The Morning Sun - February 7th, 2021
- Nagaland Locals Shift House On Foot, Watch Video: Trending Topics, Viral Videos and Funny Memes of The Day - LatestLY - February 7th, 2021
- Justice League's Snyder Cut Is Fixing The Most Hated Part Of Leto's Joker - Screen Rant - February 4th, 2021
- Anderson: Sarasota fugitive still running, only now the chase is on to catch him - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - January 30th, 2021
- Married teacher found guilty of having sex with student in a field - Yahoo News Australia - January 30th, 2021
- 23 Fun Long Nail Designs to Copy in 2021 - The Trend Spotter - January 30th, 2021
- One Of The Proud Boys Who Stormed The Capitol Had Instructions For Making Guns And Bombs In His Home, FBI Says - BuzzFeed News - January 30th, 2021
- These Amazing Quilters Will Inspire You To Take Up A New Pandemic Hobby - HuffPost Canada - January 30th, 2021
- Tattoo industry striving to safely ink their way through pandemic - KXXV News Channel 25 - January 25th, 2021
- Former Xbox, SEGA, And EA Head Peter Moore Returns To Gaming - Screen Rant - January 22nd, 2021
- Feds: Man arrested near US Capitol had truckload of weapons - Daily Mountain Eagle - January 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share 6 of their favorite designs to ink, and 5 they don't really like - Yahoo News - January 12th, 2021
- US Capitol riot: the myths behind the tattoos worn by 'QAnon shaman' Jake Angeli - The Conversation UK - January 12th, 2021
- The Myths Behind the Tattoos Worn by 'QAnon Shaman' Jake Angeli - Snopes.com - January 12th, 2021
- Khanyi Mbaus racy tattoo has got the timeline buzzing - All4Women - January 12th, 2021
- Records: Alabama man on bond arrested after Capitol riot - Daily Mountain Eagle - January 12th, 2021
- How Memorial Tattoos Can Help With The Grieving Process - HuffPost - January 9th, 2021
- A radish in a tutu walking a dog? This AI can draw it really well - ABC17News.com - January 9th, 2021
- Stefflon Don Shows Off Upper Thigh Tattoo In Gucci Swimsuit During Ghana Vacation - The Inquisitr - January 9th, 2021
- George Gerdes, Bosch and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo actor, dies at 72 - Yahoo Entertainment - January 5th, 2021
- Taking a look at the Most Useful Android Apps - Programming Insider - January 5th, 2021
- Suspects charged in connection with Steelton shooting - PennLive - January 5th, 2021
- Skin in the game: why getting a tattoo helped me achieve my goals - The Guardian - January 3rd, 2021
- How the Networks Will Fill Airtime on a Quiet New Years Eve - The New York Times - December 31st, 2020
- Why Werent We All Invited To Neymars New Years Eve Party? - The18 - December 31st, 2020
- Mars is revealing its angel, devil and heart "tattoos" as ice melts at its south pole - SYFY WIRE - December 27th, 2020
- Turn Your RPG Character's Into Inked Showcases With The Tome of Mystical Tattoos - TheGamer - December 27th, 2020
- Bloke asks for his mums advice on what tattoo to get and takes her answer WAY too seriously - The Irish Sun - December 23rd, 2020
- Bloke asks for his mums advice on what tattoo to get and takes her answer WAY too seriously - The Sun - December 21st, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077: The Face Tattoos, Ranked - TheGamer - December 17th, 2020
- The 25 Best Latin Songs of 2020: Staff Picks - Billboard - December 17th, 2020
- Cardi B Is Being Sued For The Use Of A Tattoo On Her Album Cover - mit inc - December 12th, 2020
- This Mom Tattooed Her Toddler & We're Actually On Board With It - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 12th, 2020
- Inked for The Very First Time: Madonna shares behind-the-scenes photos of first tattoo at 62 - The Independent - December 9th, 2020
- Keke Palmer Showcases Upper Thigh Tattoo In Tiny Plaid Dress & Leather Knee-High Boots - The Inquisitr - December 8th, 2020
- Sophie Turner shares a never-before-seen photo with Joe Jonas from her pregnancy - Insider - INSIDER - December 6th, 2020
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic Or Memphis Depay Or Sergio Ramos: Whos Got The Best Tattoo On Their Back? - IWMBuzz - December 3rd, 2020
- Oliver Peck Net Worth | What is Tattoo Artist Oliver Peck's Net Worth? - The Cinemaholic - December 2nd, 2020
- Rulers of the Upper Realm, Thunderbirds Are Powerful Native Spirits - National Audubon Society - December 1st, 2020
- Through Positive Eyes: living with HIV and Aids - a photo essay - The Guardian - December 1st, 2020
- A Life On Our Planet: 10 Behind The Scenes Facts You Need To Know - Screen Rant - November 27th, 2020
- Lockdown-defying tattoo shop raided for second time as owner wrongly cites Magna Carta - The Samford Crimson - November 27th, 2020
- EndSARS Protester Inscribes Tattoo On His Chest To Commemorate The Killing Of Nigerians At The Lekki Toll Gate (Photos) - GH Gossip - November 21st, 2020
- Born into occupation, young Afghans fear the Taliban will crush their freedoms when US troops exit - The Bakersfield Californian - November 21st, 2020
- David Fincher: Studios don't want to make anything that can't make billions - FOX 28 Spokane - November 20th, 2020
- BEST PLACES TO GET TATTOOS ON YOUR BODY - Artvoice - November 16th, 2020
- David Fincher: Studios don't want to make anything that can't make billions - lcbcradio.com - November 16th, 2020
- Family Fun: Rocking joy into the world with vibrantly painted rocks - The Spokesman-Review - November 16th, 2020
- The Inconclusive World of Tattoos in the Workplace - Fordham Observer - November 12th, 2020
- Police issue CCTV images of three men over incident on train via Dalmuir - Clydebank Post - November 12th, 2020
- Images released of men after rammy on board Glasgow train - Glasgow Times - November 11th, 2020
- 'I'd been avoiding looking at myself': Breast cancer survivors reveal how mastectomy tattoos changed them - 7NEWS.com.au - November 11th, 2020
- Red Notice: Ryan Reynolds Edits Young Versions of Him & Dwayne Johnson Into Image - Screen Rant - October 31st, 2020
- The Weeknd Likes to Keep a Lot of Things a Mystery Potential Tattoos Included - POPSUGAR - October 30th, 2020
- MAGNUM To Release Special Album, Dance Of The Black Tattoo, In January - bravewords.com - October 24th, 2020
- Images released of suspect in four North York break-and-enters - Toronto Sun - October 23rd, 2020
- 25 Carefree Bird Tattoos for Men in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - October 16th, 2020
- Before They Were Tatted: 10 Rockers Before + After Their Tattoos - Loudwire - October 14th, 2020
- Perthshire farm worker posing as teen rumbled in online paedophile trap by tattoo of his own name - The Courier - October 10th, 2020
- 20 Unforgettable Moon Tattoos for Women in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - October 9th, 2020
- V,I, Council on the Arts celebrated Arts and Humanities Month - Virgin Islands Daily News - October 9th, 2020
- First fossil feather found belonged to this dinosaur - Deccan Herald - October 6th, 2020
- True Meaning behind Paris Jackson & Godfather Macaulay Culkin's Matching Spoon Tattoos - AmoMama - October 6th, 2020
- Artists Quarantine With Their Art Collections - Hyperallergic - October 4th, 2020
- Survivors, First Responders Use Tattoos To Cover Scars From The Route 91 Shooting - KNPR - October 2nd, 2020
- First Fossil Feather Ever Found Belonged to This Dinosaur - The New York Times - September 30th, 2020
- Dolly Parton Addresses Those Tattoo Rumors, Reveals the Moving Reason Behind Her Tasteful Ink - Yahoo Entertainment - September 24th, 2020
- Chinese city orders taxi drivers to remove tattoos for the women and children - Deccan Herald - September 22nd, 2020
- People are getting coronavirus-themed tattoos of masks, toilet paper - Insider - INSIDER - September 20th, 2020
- Surveillance Images Show Denver Burglar Who Has 25 Tattooed On Forehead - CBS Denver - September 18th, 2020
- The Black Lives Matter Movement Will Change the Future of Tattooing - Yahoo Lifestyle - September 10th, 2020
- Conroe man hit with huge 60-year sentence - Woodlands Online - September 9th, 2020
- Daytonian of the Week lets her artwork tell the story it wants to communicate - dayton.com - September 9th, 2020
- Artist selected to paint mural on Garrett City Hall - KPCnews.com - September 8th, 2020
- How to deal with your negative inner voice when running - The Irish Times - September 7th, 2020
- Jada Kingdom Shows Off Tattoo Of Boyfriends Name On Her Neck - DancehallMag - September 6th, 2020
- Jungkook Reveals New Tattoo With Meaning That Warms The BTS Army's Hearts - Talent Recap - September 2nd, 2020