The use of lasers is the top way dermatologic surgeons and trained physicians are removing unwanted tattoos. Whereas before, dermabrasion and surgical excision were two of several methods used, they have since taken a backseat to laser technology because it's more effective and if performed by a skilled specialist, the risk of side effects are limited.
Q-switch lasers are often used in the removal of tattoos. Q-switching is a technique in which a laser is used to generate a pulsed output beam in the nanosecond range. The light pulses produced penetrate the layers of skin, where they reach the ink pigment and break it up. The body then uses its natural elimination process to expel the ink from the body. After multiple sessions (depending on the size of the tattoo and the laser used), the tattoo fades or is completely removed.
Today, laser tattoo removal specialists use three different types of Q-switched lasers, and each are more useful than the other in removing certain ink colors. Because heat is produced by these lasers and the skin's layers are penetrated at various depths, there are some side effects to consider. And despite the picosecond laser revolutionizing the art of tattoo removal when it was introduced in 2013, it too comes with side effects and breaks up some ink pigments better than others.
Q-switched Ruby laser: The light wavelength of 694nm makes this useful for removing blue, black and green pigments.
Q-switched Nd:YAG laser: This laser can operate alone at a wavelength of 1064nm (effective for removal of dark blue or black ink), or with a frequency-doubling crystal to shorten the wavelength to 532nm (effective for removal of red or orange ink).
Q-switched Alexandrite laser: This laser operates at a wavelength of 755nm, which resides between those of the ruby and neodymium: YAG lasers. It is excellent for the removal of green, blue and black tattoos.
Picosecond laser: This laser delivers short, rapid bursts of energy to the skin in a trillionth of a second. Photothermal and photomechanical effectscaused by the ultra-short pulse durations break up and destroy the color pigment. It works best on black, green and blue inks, but is also effective with yellow, orange and purple inks.
All of these lasers are highly useful for tattoo removal, but as you can see, certain lasers more effectively remove certain colors. Consider finding a clinic that uses all four lasers, because this will greatly increase your chances of effectively having your tattoo(s) removed.
Aside from the side effects mentioned, others (not listed) may occursome are temporary, while others may be permanent. Consult with your specialist prior to treatment to understand your particular risks, as particular side effects may result depending on your skin's complexion. For instance, dark-skinned patients are more likely to experience hypopigmentation after treatment.
Go here to read the rest:
- Regretting a tattoo? These are your options when it comes to getting rid of it - Fashion Journal - February 19th, 2021
- My Experience Lightening and ... - Tattoos & Piercings - February 14th, 2021
- 'Britain's most tattooed woman' shows what she looks like with ink covered up - Daily Star - February 6th, 2021
- Tattoo Removal Market Trends, Comprehensive Research Study, Development Status, Opportunities, Future Demand, Competitive Landscape and Growth by... - January 22nd, 2021
- Free tattoo removal event helps give people a clean break with past - Stockton Record - January 20th, 2021
- WJFW Newswatch 12 - News From Where You Live - Rhinelander Wisconsin WJFW TV-12 - WJFW-TV - January 20th, 2021
- Kat Von D tattoo cover- up revealed: Tattoo artist shows off new ink! - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - December 18th, 2020
- Ribbon Cutting in Boca Raton: LifeGaines Medical and Aesthetics Center Will Receive the Lumenis Excellence Award at Their Ribbon Cutting Event Today... - December 17th, 2020
- Laser Tattoo Removal Procedure, Benefits, and Risks - December 12th, 2020
- How Does Laser Tattoo Removal Work? 7 Facts You Need to Know - December 12th, 2020
- Tattoo Removal | American Society of Plastic Surgeons - December 12th, 2020
- The Best Tattoo Removalists in Canberra - The RiotACT - December 6th, 2020
- Laser tattoo removal offers hope for future - December 5th, 2020
- Laser tattoo removal offers hope for future | fox43.com - December 5th, 2020
- 7 Stars Who Had to Remove Tattoos of Their Exes, From Johnny Depp to Pete Davidson (Photos) - msnNOW - December 2nd, 2020
- The Best Laser Tattoo Removalists in Canberra - The RiotACT - November 30th, 2020
- How Much Does Tattoo Removal Cost? [2020 Price Guide] - November 12th, 2020
- 7 FAQs About Laser Tattoo Removal | Blog | Balshi Dermatology - November 12th, 2020
- The MedSpa on 5th Removes Unwanted Tattoos and Skin Blemishes with the Astanza Duality in Mount Dora, Florida - PRNewswire - November 9th, 2020
- E-dermis Magnetic Tattoo Removal An Alternative Way of Tattoo Elimination - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - November 3rd, 2020
- Understanding Laser Tattoo Removal | University of Utah Health - October 29th, 2020
- Tattoo Removal: How Much Lasering a Tattoo Costs and Hurts ... - October 29th, 2020
- Panacea Tattoo Removal Offers a Second Chance with Laser Tattoo Removal Featuring the Astanza Duality in Grand Junction, CO - PRNewswire - October 27th, 2020
- Laser Tattoo Removal: From Prep to Aftercare, Heres What to Expect - HYPEBAE - October 27th, 2020
- What To Expect When You Get a Tattoo - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - October 2nd, 2020
- 9 Tips for Tattoo Removal Health Essentials from ... - September 28th, 2020
- What You Need to Know Before Tattoo Removal - - RushPRnews.com - September 26th, 2020
- These innovative regimes and therapies are worth booking well in advance - Connecticut Magazine - September 22nd, 2020
- Chinese Taxi Drivers Ordered To Remove Tattoos - INKED - September 22nd, 2020
- Tattoo Removal: How to, Costs, Before and After Pictures ... - September 9th, 2020
- Tattoo removal - Mayo Clinic - September 9th, 2020
- Laser Tattoo Removal - Swinyer-Woseth Dermatology - September 9th, 2020
- 6 Things Everyone Gets Wrong About Laser Tattoo Removal | SELF - September 9th, 2020
- How to Remove Your Unwanted Tattoo Permanently and Safely - Chiang Rai Times - August 25th, 2020
- 10 Things No One Tells You About Tattoo Removal | Glamour - August 22nd, 2020
- How To Remove A Permanent Tattoo: DIY Methods and Surgical ... - August 22nd, 2020
- Laser surgery - Wikipedia - August 22nd, 2020
- 'Erase The Mistake' effort addresses unwanted tattoos - Huntington Herald Dispatch - August 18th, 2020
- Removery's INK-nitiative Will Remove Racist and Hate Tattoos For Free - Tyler Morning Telegraph - August 12th, 2020
- Interest In Tattoo Removal High As Removery Safely Opens Its Doors - PRNewswire - July 15th, 2020
- How to Remove a Tattoo without Laser at Home - September 13th, 2019
- Tattoo removal - Wikipedia - September 13th, 2019