During Tuesday night's presidential debate, moderator Chris Wallace asked President Donald Trump if he would condemn white supremacist and militia groups. The president asked for a name of a group causing right-wing violence, and former Vice President Joe Biden suggested the majority right-wing hate group the Proud Boys.
"Proud Boys, stand back and stand by," Trump said.
Jonathan Greenblatt, the CEO of the Anti-Defamation League (ADL), a nongovernmental organization that tracks extremist and hate groups, said in a tweet that Trump "owes America an apology or an explanation" for his Proud Boys remarks.
The current leader of the Proud Boys, Enrique Tarrio, said in a tweet that he did not interpret Trump's comment as "a direct endorsement," and said that the group is not associated with white supremacy. "Him telling the ProudBoys to stand back and standby is what we have ALWAYS done," Tarrio said, adding that he was "extremely proud" of Trump's performance in the debate.
But Trump's comments did exactly what extremism experts immediately feared. Within hours of the debate, people who identify with the Proud Boys on social media were incorporating the quote as a new slogan of sorts. On the messaging app Telegram, the Proud Boys account said, "Standing down and standing by sir," NBC News reported.
Kris McGuffie, the deputy director of the Center on Terrorism, Extremism, and Counterterrorism at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey, told Insider that Trump's words were "exceedingly dangerous" and "may be used as a rallying cry to incite violence."
"Calls for overt violence and civil war have been building since President Trump began campaigning for the presidency, and we have seen the real-world results of increased calls for violence that are legitimized by politicians and other people in power," McGuffie said.
Trump's refusal to condemn white supremacy coupled with his advisement that people "watch very carefully" appeared to be "a thinly disguised call for voter intimidation," McGuffie said.
Here's who Trump was speaking to when he name-checked the Proud Boys.
Gavin McInnes pumps his fist during a rally at Martin Luther King Jr. Civic Center Park on April 27, 2017 in Berkeley, California. Elijah Nouvelage/Getty Images
Proud Boys believe that western culture, particularly that of straight men, is under attack by a culture of political correctness. The group often uses social-media platforms to recruit members, though it was banned by Facebook in 2018.
The all-male, pro-Trump group was founded in 2016 by Gavin McInnes, the co-founder of Vice Media. McInnes himself described the organization in a 2016 op-ed as "Western chauvinists" who are against a politically-correct culture and "long for the days when 'girls were girls and men were men.'"
The organization is described by the ADL as a "drinking club" for men to celebrate "western culture." Details of the group's activities are kept quite secret, but Samantha Kutner, an independent consultant and expert on the Proud Boys, analyzed their bylaws in a May report published by the International Centre for Counter-Terrorism.
In its Constitution and Bylaws, published in 2018, the Proud Boys organization identified itself as a "fraternity" dedicated to "the promotion of Western civilization including free speech and the right to bear arms," among other missions, including "true patriotism."
Initiation rituals read at first like a fraternity hazing manual. To become a second-degree member, one must be "punched until he can name five breakfast cereals." Third-degree members need to get a Proud Boys tattoo, and fourth-degree members must "engage in violence on the group's behalf," Kutner wrote.
Kutner estimated in her research that the group has 3,000 members worldwide. It's most popular in the US, but has a foothold throughout Europe.
Members of the group tend to wear black and yellow Fred Perry polo shirts, and the Proud Boys logo is an inverted version of Fred Perry's logo. In a statement on September 24, the British brand said it would no longer sell the shirts in the US or Canada "until we're satisfied that its association with the Proud Boys has ended."
While the group's leadership has claimed to be against racism, some members "espouse white supremacist and anti-Semitic ideologies" and are involved with white supremacist organizations, according to the ADL.
In an internal document obtained by government transparency non-profit Property of the People, a sheriff's office in Washington said that the FBI considered the Proud Boys an "extremist group with ties to white nationalism."
McGuffie told Insider that the group "purports to be against white supremacy, while overtly promoting the precise theories and narratives that white supremacists are known for."
The group also uses "misogynistic, Islamophobic, transphobic, and anti-immigration" rhetoric, the ADL said.
Last year, McInnes sued the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), a non-profit organization that tracks hate and extremism in the US, for classifying the Proud Boys as a hate group. But McInnes himself has a long history of misogyny and racism.
Years ahead of the Proud Boys' founding, McInnes told The New York Times in a 2003 interview that he was "very proud" to be white. ''I don't want our culture diluted. We need to close the borders now and let everyone assimilate to a Western, white, English-speaking way of life," he said.
In 2002, McInnes repeatedly used racist and homophobic epithets in an interview with the New York Press.
In a 2015 Fox News interview, McInnes called housewives "heroes" and said that working women are "wasting their time."He has also made several transphobic comments, including, "Buying woman parts from a hospital and calling yourself a broad trivializes what it is to be a woman."
Members of the Proud Boys, a far right organization dedicated to fighting with leftists, hold a rally on September 26, 2020 in Delta Park, on the northern edge of Portland, Oregon. Andrew Lichtenstein/Corbis via Getty Images
Proud Boys have become violent at far-right or alt-right rallies across the US, often counter-protesting against left-wing groups.
The group is known for its "paramilitary arm and violent tactics," McGuffie said.
In recent months, Proud Boys members have counter-protested at Black Lives Matter protests across the country. On Saturday, 200 people attended a Proud Boys rally in Portland, Oregon, according to local CBS affiliate KOIN, one of several events they've hosted in the city. At the rally, Tarrio, the current "chairman" of the group, told KOIN that "Portland is the epicenter for all the issues we're having across the country."
On Wednesday, Portland police arrested a Proud Boys member in connection with an August incident in which firearms were aimed at protesters, according to Oregon Public Broadcasting.
Last fall, two Proud Boys were sentenced to four years in prison for attacking left-wing protesters after McGinnes gave a speech in Manhattan. While the organization had said the two men, Maxwell Hare and John Kinsman, were acting in self-defense, footage obtained by The New York Times revealed that Hare and Kinsman provoked what became a brawl.
Tarrio attended the now-infamous "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, in 2017, though he later said he was "against" certain aspects of the events. The white supremacist and neo-Nazi protest led to three deaths and dozens of injuries, A former Proud Boys member helped to organize the rally, the SPLC said.
McInnes said at the time that he did not want to be associated with neo-Nazis and did not attend the event, though several other Proud Boys had been in attendance, according to the SPLC.
Like other right-wing extremist groups, including the Boogaloo Bois, Proud Boys members "emphasize civil violence and conflict as an acceptable mechanism for political and social change," McGuffie said.
Read this article:
- Jaden Hill is LSU's ace pitcher who has a bigger calling in life: 'I'm chosen to help people' - The Advocate - February 19th, 2021
- Gangland: a book about meth and the people whose lives it touches - The Spinoff - February 17th, 2021
- SA tattoo artist to the stars on taking his skill abroad - News24 - February 14th, 2021
- Memories of dad help make University of Houston's Justin Gorham a rebounding machine - Houston Chronicle - February 11th, 2021
- Tauranga's strongest head to the Highlands - The Bay's News First - SunLive - February 6th, 2021
- Nick Carter of Backstreet Boys Got His Paris Hilton Tattoo Just 3 Week Before They Broke up - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 30th, 2021
- 2 Green Country Women Share Stories Through Tattoo Ink; Competing In National Contest - News On 6 - January 30th, 2021
- Gangs? Cliques? Subgroups? Call Them What You Will There've Been 18 (Yes, 18) In The LA Sheriff's Department - LAist - January 22nd, 2021
- Trump's useful thugs: how the Republican party offered a home to the Proud Boys - The Guardian - January 22nd, 2021
- Proud Boys among groups being watched as inauguration approaches. Do they have Northeast Ohio ties? - Akron Beacon Journal - January 20th, 2021
- Who are Proud Boys? The Western chauvinist far-right group explained and what Donald Trump has previously said about them - The Scotsman - January 15th, 2021
- Theyve been hidden too long: Report details Los Angeles Sheriffs deputy gangs and violence toward communities of color - East Bay Times - January 15th, 2021
- Hawaii Proud Boy Charged By DOJ After Raiding US Capitol - Honolulu Civil Beat - January 9th, 2021
- Swimming With My Shirt Off - The New York Times - January 9th, 2021
- How the Internet Reflected on and Coped With the Capitol Attack - Hyperallergic - January 9th, 2021
- The Weekly-ish Mailbag is mailing it in this week. - Off Tackle Empire - December 31st, 2020
- Four months before her wedding, Mary knew it was over - Sydney Morning Herald - December 19th, 2020
- Family, determination and a dream: The Real Woods story - The Stanford Daily - December 16th, 2020
- Skating solo gives me time to study everyone else on the rink - The Globe and Mail - December 16th, 2020
- LOCAL NEWS BRIEFS: Price is Right Live show rescheduled - Goshen News - December 16th, 2020
- Controversial Mom Made One Of Her Twin Toddlers Get A Tattoo For Very Important Reason - BabyGaga - December 11th, 2020
- Mum of twins tattoos one so she can tell them apart leaving mother-in-law fuming - Daily Star - December 11th, 2020
- Farmingtons mayor of 12 years memorializes his experience in tattoo - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - December 8th, 2020
- Im A Celebrity superfan gets tattoo of Ant and Dec at Gwrych Castle inked onto his thigh - The Sun - December 1st, 2020
- MacAdam: Fascination with Mike Tyson began in Albany - The Daily Gazette - November 27th, 2020
- 'Home town boys' return to Philippi Main Street - The Inter-Mountain - November 20th, 2020
- The Post-Election Proud Boys Meltdown Is Here, and It's Ugly - The Daily Beast - November 12th, 2020
- I just want to be with my friends: how will children cope with being cooped up again in second lockdown? - The Guardian - November 9th, 2020
- 240+ Inspirational & Meaningful One Word Tattoos (2020 ... - November 6th, 2020
- 75+ Best Small Tattoos For Men (2020) - Simple Cool ... - November 6th, 2020
- Tickets for sale in Snohomish County and around the region - The Daily Herald - November 5th, 2020
- Seances, tattoos and the unbreakable bond between Mikaela Mayer and Al Mitchell - ESPN - October 30th, 2020
- Students rediscover their childhood fandoms on TikTok - Daily Northwestern - October 29th, 2020
- Chase Winovich talks playing time, conspiracy theories with Zolak & Bertrand - 98.5 The Sports Hub - October 22nd, 2020
- The Cycle of Punitive Justice Starts in Schools. Eric Butler Is Showing Kids and Teachers How to Break It. - Mother Jones - October 21st, 2020
- The Proud Boys? - SOFREP - October 16th, 2020
- Theatre Alliance to perform outdoor production of Devil Boys from Beyond - Yes! Weekly - October 16th, 2020
- Freshers' Flu - Why My Mum Invented COVID - Cherwell Online - October 10th, 2020
- Who Are the Proud Boys Trump Told To 'Stand Back and Stand By'? - Snopes.com - October 8th, 2020
- Dan Osbornes tattoo shows hes protective of Jacqueline Jossa & the meaning behind Brooklyn Beckhams spoo - The Sun - October 7th, 2020
- When the Proud Boys came to town - The Economist - October 7th, 2020
- The ten essential facts you need to know about BTS's Suga - Film Daily - October 6th, 2020
- 30 Best Neck Tattoos for Boys and Girls - The Best Tattoo ... - September 30th, 2020
- Best 100+ Tattoo Designs For Men and Boys - Youme And Trends - September 30th, 2020
- Fred Perry Will Denounce Proud Boys, But The President Won't - Highsnobiety - September 30th, 2020
- Hooligans With Heart: Phoenix Risings Red Fury fan club reaches out to refugees - Cronkite News - September 30th, 2020
- Whats New on Netflix UK & Top 10s: September 30th, 2020 - What's on Netflix - September 30th, 2020
- From the Fields: Soaking it up now | agrinews-pubs.com - Agri News - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys and why did Trump tell them to stand by? - The Irish Sun - September 30th, 2020
- The Giant Proud Boy Rally That Wasn't - VICE - September 28th, 2020
- Dallas Cowboys news: Defense is looking for improvements - Blogging The Boys - September 26th, 2020
- For Australia's military veterans, tattoos are an important reminder of the things they've seen - The Canberra Times - September 26th, 2020
- What is the alt-right group the Proud Boys? - The Sun - September 21st, 2020
- Police investigating after man tried to grab young boy from street - The Northern Echo - September 18th, 2020
- Cowboys news: Reviewing the rookies after the Cowboys season-opener - Blogging The Boys - September 18th, 2020
- Nas makes his latest claim to the throne with King's Disease - NYSMusic - September 18th, 2020
- The Boys Season 2 Episode 4: 20 Easter Eggs And Things You Might Have Missed - GameSpot - September 15th, 2020
- The Boys Season 2 Episode 4: 20 Things You Might Have Missed - GameSpot - September 11th, 2020
- Remembrance of Things Past: A favorite series features a book with a local tie - theday.com - September 11th, 2020
- RCB spinner Adam Zampa speaks of his love for whisky, need to carry microwave on tours - Times Now - September 8th, 2020
- Youth of color disproportionately represented in the justice system - Prescott eNews - September 7th, 2020
- Two "Boogaloo Boys" Allegedly Tried To Supply Weapons To Hamas And Join As Mercenaries - BuzzFeed News - September 6th, 2020
- Sophie Kasaei shows off full sleeve and chest piece in 'tattoo' snap - Heat - September 3rd, 2020
- Failed by the System - Eugene Weekly - September 3rd, 2020
- 'They're going to have to shoot me': A cop's son meets a tragic fate in Morris Township - Morristown Green - September 3rd, 2020
- Youth of color disproportionately represented in the justice system - Cronkite News - September 3rd, 2020
- 2 Boys Arrested In Suspected Attempted Carjacking, Armed Robbery - Patch.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Ask Billboard: Katy Perry's Career Bests, From 'One of the Boys' to 'Smile,' & Every Hot 100 'Idol' Top 10 - Billboard - August 29th, 2020
- This says Jimin's tattoo, it has a very deep meaning - Somag News - August 27th, 2020
- 10 Katy Perry Tattoos and the Meaning of Each - Music Times - August 27th, 2020
- Home and Away Review: Annabelle Stephens joins the cast as Angelos wife - The West Australian - August 26th, 2020
- Listen to this! New releases and livestreams from The Boy Band Project, Broadway Buskers, and Playbill - DC Metro Theater Arts - August 25th, 2020
- LASD gangs: Who are the Compton Executioners? - Los Angeles Times - August 20th, 2020
- Disney adults are the most terrifying people on the planet and they need to be stopped - The Tab - July 15th, 2020
- Blake Shelton Said He Has the 'Crappiest Tattoo' and Fans Get It Wrong - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - July 15th, 2020
- 30 Hand Tattoo Designs for Boys and Girls - thisistattoo.com - September 13th, 2019
- Proud Boys - Wikipedia - September 13th, 2019