We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Heres our process.
After the pencil-thin look that dominated 90s trends, you cant not notice: big brows have been a serious *thing* for a while. And while latter years seemed to favor more groomed styles, were now reaching the wilder version of the #BigBrow trend.
(And no, its not just because no one can make it to their waxing appointment during quarantine.)
While unattainable beauty standards dont help anyone, this fad might have an upside many are embracing their natural brows, no matter how thick. (Shout out to kween Sophia Hadjipanteli for keeping it real.)
Whether your eyebrows grow like weeds or are pencil-thin, it goes without saying that brows of all shapes and sizes are beautiful. But if you want to ride the bushy brow train, by all means, buckle up and well show you how.
Otherwise, keep rocking what you got. (Plus, psst, trends dont last: experts predict that thin eyebrows will creep back into vogue in no time.)
Whether you have naturally big brows or want to give yours a little boost, there are fun ways to try out this unruly-chic look.
Brows arent just about aesthetics: they keep moisture out and reduce light exposure for our eyes. And if the raised eyebrows you give a textbook #mansplainer are any indication, they also help us communicate our emotions.
So, one possible theory for the #BushyBrow craze? The more expansive your brows, the bolder your expressions appear. Make yours bushy, and next time you frown at that person not wearing a mask, maybe theyll get the picture.
Brows also frame the eyes and have a big impact on the overall appearance of the face.
In one 2015 study, researchers found that the position of the brows impacted the perceived shape of the eyes. Specifically, they found that higher brows make eyes appear larger and low ones make eyes appear smaller which yeah, is no secret to brow technicians and makeup artists.
Still, theres a lot to be said about the way your brows can alter your overall appearance. If youre looking for a mini makeover without doing anything invasive, the brows are the perfect starting place.
From drawn-on 20s brows a la Greta Garbo (that Rihanna rocked an iteration of for Vogue just last year) it seems like the beauty community will never tire of ways to shake up this feature. For a style update, why not?
Grow them out, pluck them, add some powder whatever you do, you can always get your shape back to its natural state. But for now, well show you how to dip your toes into the big, wild and bold.
If youre looking to add volume, silkiness, or just a little extra oomph to your brows, here are a few ideas to help your brows look their bushiest and best.
Also known as vitamin H, biotin is a water-soluble vitamin that improves the health of keratin proteins in your bod which make up your hair, skin and nails.
While the science isnt totally there, some research suggests the supplements help with hair growth. In a 2015 study, women with thinning hair experienced a significant amount of hair growth and a decrease in shedding after taking an oral marine supplement containing biotin twice a day for 90 days.
To boost brow growth, consider picking up a biotin supplement at your local drugstore and taking it as instructed.
You can also up your levels by eating biotin-rich foods like egg yolks, nuts, legumes, whole grains, bananas, cauliflower, and mushrooms.
Keratin is extracted from the feathers, wool and horns of various animals and used as an ingredient in hair serums, shampoos and supplements to boost hair health. While the research on its effectiveness isnt quite there, those who use it often report increased silkiness and improved hair growth.
Many vitamins labeled for hair, skin and nails contain both biotin and keratin.
This silky stuff seems like the secret ingredient in every other beauty recipe out there, and better brows are no exception. While theres no proof that coconut oil actually works to boost hair growth, it will help deep condition, which can help protect against breakage and make brows appear more voluminous.
Warm it up on your hands, rub it on your brows, and youre good to go. When applied with an eyebrow brush, you can also use the oil to help style them as youd like.
Pro tip: Brush upward to get the slightly unkempt lewk everyones after RN.
Tea tree oil helps build a moisturizing barrier that supports healthy hair. While theres no evidence that it will give you brows like Brooke Shields, it can definitely make each strand healthier and happier.
Try it out by applying a few drops to each brow before bedtime.
One peruse through YouTube will show you that castor oil is all the rage for hair and brow growth.
Some evidence suggests that ricinoleic acid, a chemical compound that makes up nearly 90 percent of castor oil, may treat hair loss. One 2015 study found that ricinoleic acid seemed to have helped people grow their hair back by suppressing the protein prostaglandin D2 (PGD2).
The jurys still out on whether it actually works. There are plenty of testimonials that suggest one way or the other, and not enough research to know for sure. If nothing else, it will def deep-condition them and help protect against breakage.
Try it out for yourself by swabbing castor oil on with a mascara wand or Q-tip once or twice a day.
Thanks in part to the big brow revolution, there are a number of OTC and prescription brow serums on the market. For the biggest impact, look for products that contain the following ingredients:
Peptides are proteins made of amino acids. When applied to the brows, they stimulate follicle growth. In a 2016 study, researchers found that two specific peptides helped men with male pattern baldness regrow their locks.
Pro tip: Peptides may irritate sensitive skin, so always do a small patch test first to see how yours responds.
Commonly taken in pill form for hair growth, biotin also works when applied topically to the brows. Biotin helps promote hair strength and may lead to increased growth.
Many eyebrow serums contain the hair-strengthening protein keratin. When combined with peptides and biotin, keratin can pack a major punch for your brows.
B vitamins help condition, moisturize and strengthen the brows. Its not a powerhouse ingredient like peptides, but its a nice bonus to spot when product hunting.
Penciling in brows has been a thing for a long time, but its only recently that gels, powders, and pencils of all kinds have really taken off. These days, the sheer number of brow-enhancing cosmetics out theres enough to make your head spin.
If you want to bulk up your brows with makeup, here are some options to consider:
Pencils add definition to your arches and fill in any gaps. For a natural effect, start with the sparsest areas of your brow and make short, feather-like strokes. Avoid pressing down too hard unless you prefer the drawn-on look. (Were looking at you, No Doubt-era Gwen.)
Powders are a quick way to fill in larger gaps. No need to make dainty lines you can just use an angled brush to lightly pat it on to make certain areas look fuller. You cant add sharp definition to your brows like you can with a pencil, but a powder will definitely help you attain a fuller look.
Gels and pomades are the ultimate secret to the bushy brow look. They add drama and definition while also making them appear thicker and more voluminous.
They often come in tubes with mini mascara-like wands. When you sweep the wand across your brows, you can brush upward to get a Kaia Gerber-inspired look. Whether you choose a tinted variety or a more subtle clear formula, gels will srsly make your brows pop.
Microblading has been a popular semi-permanent cosmetic treatment for several years now. Essentially a temporary tattoo (itll last you between 18 and 30 months), an esthetician uses a needle device to add pigment to the eyebrow area that resemble real hairs.
It takes a couple hours and typically costs between $250 to over $1,000. Due to the risk of infection, always shop around to a trained professional you can trust. Hygiene standards and proper skills are key to the best outcome.
Heads up: The FDA doesnt regulate the color additives used in microblading pigments, which means you might not know exactly whats going into your skin.
If youre committed to the practice, make sure your esthetician has good reviews, client photos, and accreditation from either the American Association of Micropigmentation or the Society of Permanent Cosmetic Professionals (SPCP).
Now that you know the ropes, weve rounded up a few of the best products on the market for bushy brows.
These supplements are slightly pricier than others on the market, but they contain a particularly powerful blend of ingredients. In addition to biotin, they have keratin, silicon, copper, and folic acid all of which will help your brows become their healthiest.
Buy Olly Ultra Hair Vitamins.
From the creators of the much-raved about Rapidlash eyelash serum comes this brow-focused counterpart. It contains polypeptides, amino acids, vitamins, and keratin to boost brow health and stimulate growth. It also has apple fruit cell extract and sweet almond extract to condition and add shine.
Simply swipe it on your brows once a day. Most users report results within 60 days.
Buy Rapidbrow Eyebrow Enhancing Serum.
With 14 shades to choose from, Brow MVP makes it easy to find a shade that actually matches your brows. The tips perfect for creating fine strokes, and its extremely blendable for those areas youd like to fill in a little more. Plus, Riri made it, so it must be good, right?
Buy FENTY BEAUTY Brow MVP Ultra Fine Brow Pencil.
If you havent heard about this cult favorite before, you havent paid attention to whats new in brow news for at least 3 years. (But hey, no judgement.)
Inspired by hair pomade, with every stroke, the wax-based formula moisturizes, tints, and thickens. If you want what they call instantly fluffy, feathered brows, this is the ticket.
Buy Glossier Boy Brow.
YouTube makeup tutorials have seriously upped everyones glow-up game worldwide. If you want to learn how to do bushy brows at home, its a lot easier to watch someone elses skilled hands pull it off first. Here are a few pros in action:
- The Ron Swanson Mistake You Never Noticed In Parks And Recreation - Looper - April 4th, 2021
- Ireland Baldwin Reveals Creative Use For David Bowie Tattoo - The Inquisitr News - April 4th, 2021
- Watch Travis Barkers Daughter Alabama Cover Up His Face Tattoos With Makeup - menshealth.com - April 4th, 2021
- Is There KVD Beauty Without Kat Von D? - The Business of Fashion - March 8th, 2021
- What Is Microshading? Heres What To Know About the No-Maintenance, Feathery Brows Everyones Talking About - Well+Good - March 8th, 2021
- Jennifer Aniston finally reveals the meaning behind her '11 11' wrist tattoo - Cosmopolitan UK - March 8th, 2021
- Popular new makeup products to try in 2021 - Belfast Live - February 19th, 2021
- Woman Reacts To Seeing Boyfriend For First Time Without Tattoo-Covered Face - BroBible - February 19th, 2021
- Test Pattern Director Shatara Michelle Ford on Making Their First Film and Being Emotionally Truthful - TheStranger.com - February 19th, 2021
- Here's Why Jeffree Star's 'Delicious' Neck Tattoo Is One Of His Favorites - TheThings - February 17th, 2021
- Blue Light Body Arts to open on the bricks in spring - Hays Daily News - February 17th, 2021
- Exploring the ever-diminishing returns of the Crow franchise - The Spool - February 14th, 2021
- 'Justice League': Check out Jared Leto's freaky Joker in the trailer for Zack Snyder's new HBO Max cut - USA TODAY - February 14th, 2021
- JUSTICE LEAGUE Director Zack Snyder Addresses Absence Of The Joker's SUICIDE SQUAD Tattoos In The Snyder Cut - CBM (Comic Book Movie) - February 11th, 2021
- Zack Snyder explains why Joker's tattoos were removed in Justice League - Explica - February 11th, 2021
- How TikTok communists are reclaiming the hammer and sickle - i-D - February 11th, 2021
- Why Leto's Joker Doesn't Have His "Damaged" Tattoo In Justice League - Screen Rant - February 10th, 2021
- Site of the day: Want a tattoo? You have to download this app - Explica - February 10th, 2021
- Salma Hayek Shows off Chest Tattoos for New Movie 'Bliss' - PopCulture.com - February 7th, 2021
- The rise of beauty enhancements and Maya Darwiche - Sunrise News - February 7th, 2021
- The eyes have it: Above-the-mask makeup sees pandemic surge - CBC.ca - February 7th, 2021
- BB14 promo: Salman Khan schools Abhinav for his choice of words; asks if he's 'going in the right direction' - Times Now - February 7th, 2021
- Tattoo Stamp - MILK MAKEUP | Sephora - February 6th, 2021
- Eye Studio Color Tattoo 24HR Cream Gel Eyeshadow - Maybelline - February 6th, 2021
- Salma Hayek flaunts new large tattoo and fans freak out - HOLA USA - February 6th, 2021
- Gigi Hadid Now Has A Tattoo Tribute To Baby Girl And It Matches Zayn Maliks - Capital - February 4th, 2021
- Bobrisky lavishes N596k while shopping for lady that tattooed him on her back - Legit.ng - February 4th, 2021
- Make-up artist Mei Pang is turning the internet into her beauty playground - Dazed - February 4th, 2021
- Nick Carter of Backstreet Boys Covered Up His Paris Hilton Tattoo With a Skull and Crossbones - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 4th, 2021
- Two Singaporean women pioneering in the rise of hand-poked tattoos - News24 - February 4th, 2021
- Britney Spears Fans Concerned About Singers Well-Being After Her Latest Video Upload - The Inquisitr - February 4th, 2021
- Priyanka Chopra is a sight to behold as the bold and beautiful cover star of Elle UK - Bollywood Hungama - February 4th, 2021
- Promised Neverland: 10 Great Emma Cosplay You Have To See | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 4th, 2021
- The Multiple Personalities of Johnny Depp: The Smearing of Makeup and a Beloved Actors Career - Mandatory - February 2nd, 2021
- Hunter Schafer on the Reverb of Euphorias Makeup and Her Road-Trip Beauty Essentials - Vanity Fair - January 24th, 2021
- BTS' Jungkook reveals tattoos on show and fans are excited to get a close-up view - CNA - January 24th, 2021
- Forget microblading... These eyebrow tattoo stickers are the in-thing - Jacaranda FM - January 24th, 2021
- Jurassic World: Age, Height, & 8 Other Things You Didn't Know About Jeff Goldblum - Screen Rant - January 24th, 2021
- Foundation getting in the way of your natural freckles? Here's how you can make them pop again - News24 - January 20th, 2021
- Forget Shoes, It's About the Lipstick: Hollywood Stylists Share Lessons Learned From Working in a Pandemic - Hollywood Reporter - January 15th, 2021
- This designer is giving the ancient art of henna a modern makeover - CNN - January 15th, 2021
- Apex Legends: 10 Loba Cosplays That Prove She Is The Best Character - TheGamer - January 15th, 2021
- New fashion trend went viral, women tattooing tattoos to hide dark circles and stretch mark - Primetime - January 12th, 2021
- Makeup trends 2021 | Beauty - MAG THE WEEKLY - Mag The Weekly Magazine - January 12th, 2021
- Assassins Creed Valhalla: 10 Female Eivor Cosplays That Are Battle-Ready - TheGamer - January 12th, 2021
- Justin Bieber Covered Up All His Tattoos for the Anyone Music Video and the Video Is Mesmerizing to Watch - Us Weekly - January 9th, 2021
- Fans Think Cardi B Deserves A Superhero Name | TheThings - TheThings - January 9th, 2021
- Priyanka Chopra In Trouble With UK Cops After Breaking Lockdown Rules - Talent Recap - January 9th, 2021
- Nikita Dragun Masters The Underboob Look In Metallic Bandeau Top With Matching Thigh-High Slit Skirt - The Inquisitr News - January 3rd, 2021
- Justin Bieber Shared a Video of Himself Getting His Tattoos Covered Up for His New "Anyone" Music Video Watch - Allure - January 3rd, 2021
- Prateik Babbar experiments with his hair colour again, goes from red to blue - Republic World - December 28th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077: 5 Things That Make No Sense About V (& 5 Fan Theories That Really Do) - TheGamer - December 28th, 2020
- Fashion trends that originated from other cultures - Los Angeles Times - December 28th, 2020
- 89 Best Truth or Dare Questions and Dares - Teen Vogue - December 28th, 2020
- Louisa Johnson Showcases Chest Tattoo In Low-Cut White Top For A Series Of Close-Up Snaps - The Inquisitr - December 23rd, 2020
- Get the Look: a gold mine of information about gilded makeup looks - Irish Examiner - December 21st, 2020
- Replicating Success In The ECommerce World: A Case Study With James Khuri - Forbes - December 21st, 2020
- Pete Davidson is reportedly in the process of removing all of his tattoos - 21-Dec-2020 - NZ Entertainment news - NZCity - December 21st, 2020
- TRIED & TESTED: "I got my eyebrows tattooed with a freehand blade. Here's how it went." - Mamamia - December 18th, 2020
- Permanent Makeup Information: Eyeliner, Lipstick, and More - December 18th, 2020
- People Have a Lot of Feelings About Pete Davidson Removing All of His Tattoos - POPSUGAR - December 17th, 2020
- Are Hair and Beauty Salons Allowed to Be Open in Tier 3? - POPSUGAR United Kingdom - December 17th, 2020
- Docs with Tattoos: More Relatable to Patients? - MedPage Today - December 14th, 2020
- Keep Your Eye On These Young Designers From Around the World - W Magazine - December 3rd, 2020
- Carmen Electra, 48, Nearly Bursts Out Of Plunging Corset While Caressing Her Chest - The Inquisitr - November 26th, 2020
- 7 of the best and 6 of the worst beauty trends of the year, so far - INSIDER - November 25th, 2020
- Guns N Roses Stars Daughter Draws All Eyes To Her Backside As She Strikes A Sultry Pose With ... - Metalhead Zone - November 25th, 2020
- Gen-Z is finding alternatives to traditional mental health resources through social media - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 21st, 2020
- KVD Vegan Beauty Debuts Holiday 2020 with First-Ever Fully-Recycled Eyeshadow Palette, Dazzling Shadows Sticks, Vegan Lashes and a Plethora of... - November 20th, 2020
- Astanza Wins Top Aesthetic Company, Best Laser Service and Training, and Best Laser Company to Work For in the Aesthetic Everything 2020 Aesthetic and... - November 20th, 2020
- Valeria Micropigmentation Is One of The Most Trusted Solution for Permanent Makeup - Press Release - Digital Journal - November 18th, 2020
- Revealed: The Get The Gloss Beauty and Wellness Awards 2020 winners - Get The Gloss - November 18th, 2020
- Queen Icon Roger Taylors Daughter Tiger Lily Looks Sexy In Red, Shows A Secret Tattoo And Explains ... - Metalhead Zone - November 18th, 2020
- New Zealand has just elected one of the most diverse parliaments in the world. Here's how it stacks up - KESQ - November 18th, 2020
- Cardi B Puts Her Colorful Leg Tattoo on Display in a Red Reebok Outfit from Her New Collection - AmoMama - November 16th, 2020
- Lee Sang Yeob Hilariously Pretends To Be Bentley From The Future On The Return Of Superman - soompi - November 16th, 2020
- Tejaswini Pandit Flaunts A Rare Barcode Tattoo, Fans Wonder What Scanning It Will Lead To? - Zee Kannada - November 12th, 2020
- Chris Evans Has 9 Hidden Tattoos Here's What They Mean - POPSUGAR - November 11th, 2020
- Assassins Creed Valhalla Will Feature Photo Mode at Launch. Know All The Updates Right Here ! - Stanford Arts Review - November 9th, 2020
- 'Welcome to Plathville': The Plaths Are More Divided Than Ever in the Season 2 Sneak Peek Moriah Calls Her Parents' House a 'Cage,' Ethan Gets a... - November 9th, 2020