Tattooartists from around the world gathered in Las Vegas to cover the scars of survivors of the Route 91 Harvest Music Festival and the first responders who helped treat them.
The nonprofit Healing Ink put on the event at Seven Tattoo Studio in Las Vegas. The goal is to use tattooing as a type of trauma therapy to help empower survivorssuffering from physical, mental, and emotional scars.
The nonprofit Healing Ink put on the event and use tattooing as a type of trauma therapy to help empower survivors.
Craig Dershowitz is the CEO of Artists for Israel and the president of Healing Ink. He said thegroup had more than 100 applicants for the event. They had to narrow that down to 17 people for the 17 artists available.
These recipients were either injured in the 1 October shooting, are families of victims who have passed, or are first responders who helped to keep people alive during that tragic time, Dershowitz said.
Craig Dershowitz, President of Healing Ink/Courtesy: Zach Green
He said theyll be getting tattoos that help them heal, celebrate their resiliency or in some way have an impact on their quality of life.
Healing Ink came out of the group Artists for Israel, which used art to better communities in that country.
I know personally that Ive used tattoos to mourn losses, to celebrate victories, and I said, I wonder if this modality of healing will work, he said, We did it the first time in Israel in 2016, and it exceeded our wildest expectations.
Dershowitz said during the event in Israel they heard stories of people who had been suicidal until that event or wouldnt leave the house because they had been disfigured during a terror attack and felt uncomfortable until they got a tattoo.
After the group realized the impact they were having, Healing Ink expanded from there.
The process for getting this tattoo and for the healing aspect of it starts before the tattoo, he said, It begins when the artist first talks to the recipient and there is this sense of, Im not alone, something is going to happen. They are able to put their faith and trust that theyre going to feel better at the end of this process.
He said recipients are also helped by the act of going to the event and seeing others going through the same thing.
Each person has a reason a story for their tattoo as unique and different as we are as people, he said, Some its to cover a scar. The scar makes them feel uncomfortable and disfigured. They dont want people to see it and now they wake up in the morning and see something beautiful.
He said others seen their tattoos as a badge of honor. Overall, Dershowitz said the tattoos are about agency and personal freedom.
Each survival and first responder receives a tattoo that is custom to their personality and their story.
For Heather Gooze, who wasworking as a bartender at the Route 91 event, her tattoo artist Becca Martin was the perfect person to tell her story through art.
Ive got a feather that kind of turns into birds, flying from the feather, Gooze explained, Underneath, in cursive, it says, Be your own kind of beautiful. Its just to remind myself, and others, that were all different and weve just got to find the beauty in all of us.
Gooze said the colors of the tattoo are significant. One side will be purple and orange, which were the colors of the Route 91 Harvest Festival. The other side will be red, yellow and green. The colors represent the colors of the bracelets that workers at the festival wore on each night.
She said, for workers at the event, green is significant because it is the color of the bracelets they were wearing Sunday evening, when the shooting happened.
Martin said she and Gooze collaborated on the design for the tattoo. Gooze said she was originally assigned a tattoo artist who specialized in darker, black and white, and 3D images, but she wanted something that was more colorful.
Healing Ink found Martinwho was a better fit for what Gooze wanted to be done.
Becca Martin, tattoo artist (left)/Heather Gooze, bartender and survivor (right)
It is super humbling to have someone ask you to mark them permanently, Martin said, But I also understand the power of healing through art. It is just another way to help people who are looking for a different way of healing.
Martin wasexcitedto know that she is making another persons day better, but at the same time, it was nerve-wracking because it is permeant and she wantedGooze to love the tattoo.
Gooze said there is a special bond between the artist and the recipient because of the trust they have to have in each other.
Im healed as much as you can heal three yearsafter an event that changes your life, Gooze said, For all the people that say, Get over it, or Move on, youre never going to. It becomes a part of our life.
Gooze said after surviving the shooting she has more empathy towards people who are going through their own personal traumas. She found the Healing Ink event extremely healing and being with her other Route 91 family helps with that healing.
For artist Michael Caldwell and recipient Gregory Koehler, the time they spent together was dedicated to healing the soul.The two worked together on the design. Koehler wanted the Route 91 sign involved in the tattoo but not the actual concert logo.
And as we talked, our conversation evolved into whyhe was getting the tattoo and it was to heal and to further go through life and not be stuck in that moment, Caldwell said, To be able to have something positive to tie to that moment.
In the end, the two decided on a design featuring a phoenix because the mythical bird rises from the ashes and brings empowerment through dark moments.
Michael Caldwell, tattoo artist (left) and Kevin Koehler, survivor (right)
To me, this is incredible. I think weve all been through traumatic experiences, things that have affectedour soul and our existence and to be able to provide service and an experience to someone that helps bring positivity to their life is everything, Caldwell said.
Koehler already has a half-sleeve tattoo on his arm, but this project completed it onto his hand. He said the phoenix design represents many aspects of his life.
Rising from the Route 91 situation, I just survived COVID this summer, so that is also rising from that, he said.
Koehler was in a VIP box when the shooting happened, but within minutes of the first shots, he raced to the ground level to start treating and triaging people. He ended up working at the site for another eight hours.
Ive had some good come out of that actually, he said, I met my girlfriend, dont tell her but someday wife from this tragedy. Three years later, Ive been diagnosed with PTSD. Asa paramedic, I still run shooting patients within the city on duty and sometimes it I wouldnt say flashback but the thoughts of Route 91do come into my thought process when treating patients.
He said that hes been able to get past it, but the week leading up to the anniversary and the week after it, he is grumpier and short with people.
Koehler believes hes lucky that he hasnt had any major triggers like other survivors who are re-traumatized by fireworks or helicopters. Despite that, he did admit he had some extremely dark moments in his healing journey.
Im going to be brutally honest, Koehler said, A year and a half after, I had a dark moment, where I was going to kill myself. I dont know what triggered it. Its the one time that Ive had a situation come up I sat there with my gun in my hand and I didnt know exactly what was going to happen. I reached out to a friend of mine. He was able to stop what he was doing and talk to me for 45 minutes. Hes on the peer support team at the fire department and he set me up with a counselor.
Koehler said that incident was likely an accumulation of his work as a paramedic and the tragedy and trauma he experienced on October 1, 2017, but luckily, he reached out to someone for help.
I tell that story about myself, not because I want to but because I know there areothers out there. It can only help, he said.
Koehler believes the mental health of survivors and their families need to be addressed.
Besides finding his girlfriend, Koehler said another positive outcome from the shooting is that is more able to empathize with people who are experiencing trauma, which is something he deals with all the time in his line of work.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
See original here:
- 10 of the best talented Calgary tattoo artists to get inked by | Curated - Daily Hive - March 8th, 2021
- CURTIS HONEYCUTT: With friends like these ... | Features | albanyherald.com - The Albany Herald - February 17th, 2021
- Stephen Bear branded sick by fans for pretending girlfriend was pregnant with twins with scan ripped off Goo - The Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Local tattoo shops see increase in business as the COVID-19 pandemic continues - The Morning Sun - February 7th, 2021
- Nagaland Locals Shift House On Foot, Watch Video: Trending Topics, Viral Videos and Funny Memes of The Day - LatestLY - February 7th, 2021
- Justice League's Snyder Cut Is Fixing The Most Hated Part Of Leto's Joker - Screen Rant - February 4th, 2021
- Anderson: Sarasota fugitive still running, only now the chase is on to catch him - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - January 30th, 2021
- Married teacher found guilty of having sex with student in a field - Yahoo News Australia - January 30th, 2021
- 23 Fun Long Nail Designs to Copy in 2021 - The Trend Spotter - January 30th, 2021
- One Of The Proud Boys Who Stormed The Capitol Had Instructions For Making Guns And Bombs In His Home, FBI Says - BuzzFeed News - January 30th, 2021
- These Amazing Quilters Will Inspire You To Take Up A New Pandemic Hobby - HuffPost Canada - January 30th, 2021
- Tattoo industry striving to safely ink their way through pandemic - KXXV News Channel 25 - January 25th, 2021
- Former Xbox, SEGA, And EA Head Peter Moore Returns To Gaming - Screen Rant - January 22nd, 2021
- Feds: Man arrested near US Capitol had truckload of weapons - Daily Mountain Eagle - January 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share 6 of their favorite designs to ink, and 5 they don't really like - Yahoo News - January 12th, 2021
- US Capitol riot: the myths behind the tattoos worn by 'QAnon shaman' Jake Angeli - The Conversation UK - January 12th, 2021
- The Myths Behind the Tattoos Worn by 'QAnon Shaman' Jake Angeli - Snopes.com - January 12th, 2021
- Khanyi Mbaus racy tattoo has got the timeline buzzing - All4Women - January 12th, 2021
- Records: Alabama man on bond arrested after Capitol riot - Daily Mountain Eagle - January 12th, 2021
- How Memorial Tattoos Can Help With The Grieving Process - HuffPost - January 9th, 2021
- A radish in a tutu walking a dog? This AI can draw it really well - ABC17News.com - January 9th, 2021
- Stefflon Don Shows Off Upper Thigh Tattoo In Gucci Swimsuit During Ghana Vacation - The Inquisitr - January 9th, 2021
- George Gerdes, Bosch and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo actor, dies at 72 - Yahoo Entertainment - January 5th, 2021
- Taking a look at the Most Useful Android Apps - Programming Insider - January 5th, 2021
- Suspects charged in connection with Steelton shooting - PennLive - January 5th, 2021
- Skin in the game: why getting a tattoo helped me achieve my goals - The Guardian - January 3rd, 2021
- How the Networks Will Fill Airtime on a Quiet New Years Eve - The New York Times - December 31st, 2020
- Why Werent We All Invited To Neymars New Years Eve Party? - The18 - December 31st, 2020
- Mars is revealing its angel, devil and heart "tattoos" as ice melts at its south pole - SYFY WIRE - December 27th, 2020
- Turn Your RPG Character's Into Inked Showcases With The Tome of Mystical Tattoos - TheGamer - December 27th, 2020
- Bloke asks for his mums advice on what tattoo to get and takes her answer WAY too seriously - The Irish Sun - December 23rd, 2020
- Bloke asks for his mums advice on what tattoo to get and takes her answer WAY too seriously - The Sun - December 21st, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077: The Face Tattoos, Ranked - TheGamer - December 17th, 2020
- The 25 Best Latin Songs of 2020: Staff Picks - Billboard - December 17th, 2020
- Cardi B Is Being Sued For The Use Of A Tattoo On Her Album Cover - mit inc - December 12th, 2020
- This Mom Tattooed Her Toddler & We're Actually On Board With It - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 12th, 2020
- Inked for The Very First Time: Madonna shares behind-the-scenes photos of first tattoo at 62 - The Independent - December 9th, 2020
- Keke Palmer Showcases Upper Thigh Tattoo In Tiny Plaid Dress & Leather Knee-High Boots - The Inquisitr - December 8th, 2020
- Sophie Turner shares a never-before-seen photo with Joe Jonas from her pregnancy - Insider - INSIDER - December 6th, 2020
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic Or Memphis Depay Or Sergio Ramos: Whos Got The Best Tattoo On Their Back? - IWMBuzz - December 3rd, 2020
- Oliver Peck Net Worth | What is Tattoo Artist Oliver Peck's Net Worth? - The Cinemaholic - December 2nd, 2020
- Rulers of the Upper Realm, Thunderbirds Are Powerful Native Spirits - National Audubon Society - December 1st, 2020
- Through Positive Eyes: living with HIV and Aids - a photo essay - The Guardian - December 1st, 2020
- A Life On Our Planet: 10 Behind The Scenes Facts You Need To Know - Screen Rant - November 27th, 2020
- Lockdown-defying tattoo shop raided for second time as owner wrongly cites Magna Carta - The Samford Crimson - November 27th, 2020
- EndSARS Protester Inscribes Tattoo On His Chest To Commemorate The Killing Of Nigerians At The Lekki Toll Gate (Photos) - GH Gossip - November 21st, 2020
- Born into occupation, young Afghans fear the Taliban will crush their freedoms when US troops exit - The Bakersfield Californian - November 21st, 2020
- David Fincher: Studios don't want to make anything that can't make billions - FOX 28 Spokane - November 20th, 2020
- BEST PLACES TO GET TATTOOS ON YOUR BODY - Artvoice - November 16th, 2020
- David Fincher: Studios don't want to make anything that can't make billions - lcbcradio.com - November 16th, 2020
- Family Fun: Rocking joy into the world with vibrantly painted rocks - The Spokesman-Review - November 16th, 2020
- The Inconclusive World of Tattoos in the Workplace - Fordham Observer - November 12th, 2020
- Police issue CCTV images of three men over incident on train via Dalmuir - Clydebank Post - November 12th, 2020
- Images released of men after rammy on board Glasgow train - Glasgow Times - November 11th, 2020
- 'I'd been avoiding looking at myself': Breast cancer survivors reveal how mastectomy tattoos changed them - 7NEWS.com.au - November 11th, 2020
- Red Notice: Ryan Reynolds Edits Young Versions of Him & Dwayne Johnson Into Image - Screen Rant - October 31st, 2020
- The Weeknd Likes to Keep a Lot of Things a Mystery Potential Tattoos Included - POPSUGAR - October 30th, 2020
- MAGNUM To Release Special Album, Dance Of The Black Tattoo, In January - bravewords.com - October 24th, 2020
- Images released of suspect in four North York break-and-enters - Toronto Sun - October 23rd, 2020
- 25 Carefree Bird Tattoos for Men in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - October 16th, 2020
- Before They Were Tatted: 10 Rockers Before + After Their Tattoos - Loudwire - October 14th, 2020
- Perthshire farm worker posing as teen rumbled in online paedophile trap by tattoo of his own name - The Courier - October 10th, 2020
- 20 Unforgettable Moon Tattoos for Women in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - October 9th, 2020
- V,I, Council on the Arts celebrated Arts and Humanities Month - Virgin Islands Daily News - October 9th, 2020
- First fossil feather found belonged to this dinosaur - Deccan Herald - October 6th, 2020
- True Meaning behind Paris Jackson & Godfather Macaulay Culkin's Matching Spoon Tattoos - AmoMama - October 6th, 2020
- Artists Quarantine With Their Art Collections - Hyperallergic - October 4th, 2020
- First Fossil Feather Ever Found Belonged to This Dinosaur - The New York Times - September 30th, 2020
- Dolly Parton Addresses Those Tattoo Rumors, Reveals the Moving Reason Behind Her Tasteful Ink - Yahoo Entertainment - September 24th, 2020
- Chinese city orders taxi drivers to remove tattoos (for the women and children) - bdnews24.com - September 24th, 2020
- Chinese city orders taxi drivers to remove tattoos for the women and children - Deccan Herald - September 22nd, 2020
- People are getting coronavirus-themed tattoos of masks, toilet paper - Insider - INSIDER - September 20th, 2020
- Surveillance Images Show Denver Burglar Who Has 25 Tattooed On Forehead - CBS Denver - September 18th, 2020
- The Black Lives Matter Movement Will Change the Future of Tattooing - Yahoo Lifestyle - September 10th, 2020
- Conroe man hit with huge 60-year sentence - Woodlands Online - September 9th, 2020
- Daytonian of the Week lets her artwork tell the story it wants to communicate - dayton.com - September 9th, 2020
- Artist selected to paint mural on Garrett City Hall - KPCnews.com - September 8th, 2020
- How to deal with your negative inner voice when running - The Irish Times - September 7th, 2020
- Jada Kingdom Shows Off Tattoo Of Boyfriends Name On Her Neck - DancehallMag - September 6th, 2020
- Jungkook Reveals New Tattoo With Meaning That Warms The BTS Army's Hearts - Talent Recap - September 2nd, 2020