Sacha Jennis developed an interest in photography when travelling in his twenties. The need was there to capture moments and local culture in foreign countries with better pictures, so he decided to take photography courses and graduated in 2016. Meeting people from other countries and cultures enriches travel experience and delivers a better image of how people live there, Mr. Jennis starts his conversation with Sarajevo Times.
I made my first real photo series on a Thai island, about ladyboys in the night club Queens Cabaret. Only years later, the series got published and after this first reportage I decided to do more photo series about subjects that intrigued me. Another example is a series about people living in an architectural, historic public housing complex just outside of Antwerp. This series got me the title of city photographer Antwerp for two years and I had some exhibitions with the project, he added.
In 2014, he made a motor trip through the Balkans together with a friend of his. They both were intrigued by the region and its, for them Belgians, underestimated touristic potential. This truly was an amazing experience for them. They started in Albania and immediately came into touch with the very friendly population, always prepared to help them out when they were lost.
The trip through the countries of ex-Yugoslavia was also very special and interesting. We were only teenagers when the civil war 92-95 took place. It struck to us how young people our age and generation experienced childhood/youth in these terrible conditions. Talking to our peers, they made a very down to earth, friendly and spontaneous impression to us, he added.
The beautiful nature of Bosnia Herzegovina was another thing stuck in his head since his passing on a motor bike. And as a city, Sarajevo never escaped his memory since his first encounter.
Spending only two days there in 2014 was enough to decide I would come back again there someday to picture fascinating aspects of the city. So I went back in 2017, 2018 and 2019, Mr. Jennis adds.
One night in Sarajevo, back in 2017, I ended up in an underground venue to watch a benefit concert of local rock bands. As I brought my camera and did not really know people in the venue, I started taking pictures of the bands. Later I met Dijana and her friends from the band Starbridge. I ended up taking a band picture and Dijana is featured in my photo series. We met again the next year I was in Sarajevo and had some beers with her boyfriend and his son who were in the band. Really friendly people, even inviting me to stay at their place next time around. Also, how brave and cool at the same time to have a band with your dad!, he explained.
Another interesting story was about grandmother of a girl he know from Antwerp, Alja, who lives in Sarajevo. When doing research he asked Alja if her grandmother, Ramiza, would be interested in seeing me and having her picture taken. Ramiza still lives in the apartment just outside Sarajevo center which was fired at during the 92-95 siege.
I met her via Aljas sister Arwa and her mother, who were in Sarajevo at the time I was there in November 2018. Arwa translated her story for me and it took my breath away. She told me how her late husband was building a wall in their apartment to protect his family from the snipers bullets. Arwa and Aljas nephew showed me the basement where they were kept and hid as children during the war, he adds.
Answering on the question of how has he decided to visit Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sascha said that it is a country that always intrigued him. Partly because it used to be a former country of Yugoslavia, partly because of the immense beauty of its nature.
I learned a bit about its history and wanted to know more. I guess I was interested in daily peoples stories. I actually shared many similar interests with many of the young people I met. We were born in other parts of Europe yet our situation was/is so different. We both have terrible political conditions (we have the world record of not having a government) but economically Bosnia is off much worse than Belgium. I learned high unemployment rates led to mass migration of young people. In the West of Europe and in Belgium for instance, little is known about Bosnia. When it is covered in the news, its mostly because of politics and the 90s war. I wanted to give a more positive picture of the country and show how many young people do decide to stay in their country and build a life and/or business. I do believe they are the future of the country. So I mainly focused on them in my photo series Sarajevo Daily Lives,
Speaking about his favourite places in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sacha says that in 2018, he spent a few weeks of holiday in Bosnia and Herzegovina so he had another impression of the country. He really enjoyed Sutjeska National park.One of the most beautiful trails he has ever walked is in the park, they walked a hiking trail towards Montenegro just across the border with Bosnia and on the trail, they had some amazing views.
The island of Scit is a little gem inside Bosnia. Really small but really worth a visit. We drove around the Ramsko lake and went for a little paddle. When we arrived back in our hotel, which was a 2h drive from Scit, my girlfriend realized she lost her cell phone. A local guy found it and contacted my girlfriends sister and me to make sure we got it back. Quite a story and illustrative for the kind nature of the Bosnians, he adds.
Some other favorite places are Blidinje Nature Park and Hutovo Blato park. They went on a cycling tour around Blidinje lake and cycled to Hutovo Blato from Trebizat on the Ciro cycling trail, a bike route from Dubrovnik to Mostar and Sarajevo, using a former railway track which was closed in 1976.
It was quite a trip as we passed several gravel and rock roads through tunnels crowded with bats. When we were in the area between Trebizat and Mostar, we also enjoyed visiting family owned vineyards such as Brkic winery. Really great quality wines you find there, Zilavka wines are my favorites, he explains.
Of course, Sarajevo is a favorite place. In fact, its one of my favorite cities in Europe. Not that its the most beautiful city, its charm, character and culture is what appeals to me most. Local events are internationally renowned such as the annual International Film Festival, MESS International Theater Festival and the Jazz festival. People work hard to put Sarajevo on the international cultural map and it has every right to be on it. Every time I visit Sarajevo, I discover something new. The mix of West and East (Baarija) is very interesting and the renovated Trebevi cable car is nice. It makes it much easier to go to the surrounding mountains and have a nice walk there with rewarding views of the city. So nature never is far when you live in the city, Sacha adds.
Also, Sascha liked Lukomir, little mountain village that has something special since it only has some ten inhabitants, more or less. No kids are being born so it seems people only stay there, are self-supporting and gain a little extra from tourists. The place is abandoned during winter months.
But what I loved the most in Lukomir, was the astonishing view you have on top of the mountain.
Bosnians are really friendly and easy-going towards foreign tourists. At least thats what I experienced. Especially when they feel you know something about the region and history, its interesting to have conversations with locals. I felt they could appreciate my interest for their country, lifes and stories. From several locals I understood most tourist seek for traditional war memorials and stories which is only being commercialised by governments and tourist agencies. Everyone one I talked to just wanted to move on and live a normal life, not being constantly reminded of a painful past.
Speaking about some of the favourite photographs taken during his visit to Sarajevo, Sacha says that he stayed in the Ciglane neighbourhood when he was in Sarajevo the last time. It has a special character and the apartments crawling up the hill are photogenic to him.
And in October 2019, I photographed a part of Sarajevo I never went before. On the bus ride from the airport to Skenderija, I saw this really photogenic brutalist church. I went back there to take pictures, another fascination I have as a photographer is architectural photography and specifically modernism and brutalism. When I walked around that neighbourhood, the sight of a big Mosque with a football ground and apartment buildings in the back asked for a photograph, he adds.
Last but not least, I really enjoyed meeting and photographing people for the Sarajevo Daily Lives project. Some of my favorite pics from this series are the ones I took in the tattoo shop tzi Tetoviracnica and artist/art gallery owner Mak in the door of his Gallerija Brodac, Sacha concludes.
Interview by Zejna Yesilyurt
View original post here:
- Rohanpreet Singh gets a tattoo of wife Neha Kakkars name! - The Tribune India - February 19th, 2021
- Valentines Day 2021: Neha Kakkars Husband Rohanpreet Singh Gets Nehus Man Tattooed On His Arm; Lady Gushes Over Him And Calls It The Best Gift Ever-... - February 17th, 2021
- Rohanpreet Singh gets a tattoo for Neha Kakkar on Valentines Day; 'Nehu's man', it reads; check it out - The Tribune India - February 14th, 2021
- Norfolk tattooist turns to art in lockdown - Eastern Daily Press - February 14th, 2021
- CrimeStoppers says face masks are making it harder to identify wanted criminals - KHON2 - February 11th, 2021
- Sapna Choudhary gets husband Veer Sahu's name tattooed on her arm | Latest photos - India TV News - February 6th, 2021
- Khushi Kapoor is OBSESSED with tattoos; Take a look at these PHOTOS which prove the same - PINKVILLA - February 4th, 2021
- Best of Jackson 2021: Community and Culture - Jackson Free Press - February 4th, 2021
- All About Alev Aydin, Halsey's Boyfriend and Father of Her Child - ELLE.com - February 2nd, 2021
- Who is Leni Klum? 5 fascinating facts about Heidi Klum's 16-year-old daughter who walked her first runway - MEAWW - January 27th, 2021
- BTS Jungkooks tattoo to Jennies 25th birthday; Heres a weekly round-up of K-pops - Republic World - January 24th, 2021
- UK lotto winner shares photo of her bizarre bum tattoos on Instagram - NEWS.com.au - January 22nd, 2021
- 90 Day Fiance: Everything To Know About Yolanda's Ex Josh Seiter - Screen Rant - January 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share 6 of their favorite designs to ink, and 5 they don't really like - Insider - INSIDER - January 12th, 2021
- Chicago Activist Outs Local Insurgents Who Traveled To Capitol - WBEZ - January 12th, 2021
- POLICE LOOKING FOR SUSPECT IN TOOL THEFT FROM LOWE'S IN DECEMBER - wccsradio.com - January 9th, 2021
- Brad Pitt Shows Off His 7 Back Tattoos As He Goes Snorkeling In Turks And Caicos - SpotboyE - January 5th, 2021
- Raheem Sterling's tattoos explained: What do they mean and where are they on his body? - Goal (English) - January 5th, 2021
- Inspired by the sun's nourishment - Otago Daily Times - January 5th, 2021
- Raheem Sterling's tattoos explained: What do they mean and where are they on his body? - Goal.com - January 3rd, 2021
- David Fincher, the Unhappiest Auteur - The New York Times - January 3rd, 2021
- The Nashville explosion slammed these small businesses. They'll need help digging out - WLS - December 28th, 2020
- Ink Master Season 1: Where Are They Now? Ink Master Season 1 Winners Today - The Cinemaholic - December 25th, 2020
- Police trying to ID woman hit by van - Times-Mail - December 23rd, 2020
- Chhavi Mittal Flaunting Her Stomach Tattoo Dedicated To Hubby, Mohit Hussein Screams Of Eternal Love - BollywoodShaadis.com - December 21st, 2020
- Mom-To-Be Kareena Kapoor Khan Turns Author, Shares How The Subject Of Her Book Is Close To Her Heart - BollywoodShaadis.com - December 21st, 2020
- Fantasy Island reboot on the cards - The New Indian Express - December 18th, 2020
- She was in Iraq when her son was killed. Four years later, the police have no leads. - Houston Chronicle - December 17th, 2020
- Sushmita Sen And Rohman Shawl Vacay In Dubai, Her Brother, Rajeev And Wife, Charu To Join Them Soon - BollywoodShaadis.com - December 16th, 2020
- Nipsey Hussle, The LAPD And The Inescapable Trap Of Gang Affiliation - NPR - December 14th, 2020
- This Alberta dad sat through 30 hours of tattoo pain so his son would feel better about birthmark - CBC.ca - December 11th, 2020
- Mom-to-be Kareena Kapoor Khan snapped with hubby Saif Ali Khan; latter's new tattoo grabs everyone's atte - Times of India - December 11th, 2020
- Gwen Stefani reveals why shes delayed Blake Shelton wedding - Metro.co.uk - December 9th, 2020
- Madonna, 62, Gets Her Very 1st Tattoo and the Beautiful Design Is Touchingly Beautiful - Us Weekly - December 8th, 2020
- At the age of 68, Purnimas mother with a tattoo on her arm! - Primetime - December 8th, 2020
- Lost Gypsy Tattoo holds giveaway to encourage holiday sponsorship of veterans, children in need - Hazard Herald - December 5th, 2020
- Chris Evans and His Dog, Dodger, Have the Purest Bond See Their Cutest Photos - POPSUGAR - December 5th, 2020
- Press photographer's new collections of snapshots bring Swindon's history to life - Swindon Advertiser - December 2nd, 2020
- Justin Bieber wants 'a little tribe' of kids with wife Hailey Baldwin - Metro.co.uk - December 1st, 2020
- Merrill man charged with making child pornography after investigators say they identified him by his tattoo - Wausau Daily Herald - November 25th, 2020
- Kunal Kemmu's tattoo will leave you impressed - Times of India - November 25th, 2020
- Karan Mehra And Nisha Rawal Celebrate 8th Wedding Anniversary, Share Photoshoot Pictures With Kavish - BollywoodShaadis.com - November 25th, 2020
- Dipika Kakkar Flaunts 'Shoaika' Tattoo, Calls it Her Reason for Happiness - News18 - November 25th, 2020
- When Tracey was Traci: Emin's unseen early paintings published for the first time - The Guardian - November 23rd, 2020
- Dipika Kakar gets a tattoo of 'Shoaika' on her hand dedicated to her and Shoaib's love - News Track English - November 21st, 2020
- 2021 Oscar Predictions: Best Picture [Updated November 19] - Gold Derby - November 20th, 2020
- I'm A Celebrity: Jordan gets a helping hand from Gavin and Stacey - Metro.co.uk - November 20th, 2020
- Lisa Congdon On Creativity, Activism, and Finding Your Flow - Brit + Co - November 20th, 2020
- Is it the last of the Camden Lock mohicans? - Camden New Journal newspapers website - November 18th, 2020
- Is Angelina Pivarnick already headed for divorce? Heres why Jersey Shore fans think she and Chris L ... - Monsters and Critics - November 18th, 2020
- Unseen Pictures Of Arpita Khan Sharma And Aayush Sharma From 'Grih Pravesh' Ceremony Post-Wedding - BollywoodShaadis.com - November 18th, 2020
- Police release pictures of three men wanted for knife and bat attack on woman in Lancaster - Lancashire Post - November 16th, 2020
- Tattoo Inks Market Expected To Witness A Sustainable Growth Over 2026 - PRnews Leader - November 6th, 2020
- Brooklyn, son of David Beckham, is the latest popular child to reveal a face tattoo - DodoFinance - November 5th, 2020
- Dad ridiculed after getting tattoos of his kids POO on his leg as gobsmacked people joke I thought Id seen - The Sun - November 5th, 2020
- Kajal Aggarwals fan gets her name tattooed on the formers wedding day. See PHOTOS - Times of India - October 31st, 2020
- First day of tier 3 restrictions in Sutton - in pictures - Mansfield and Ashfield Chad - October 31st, 2020
- Tattoo Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images - October 30th, 2020
- Kunal Kemmu's Stylish Tiger Tattoo Took 4 Years to Complete and It Looks Awesome - Report Door - October 30th, 2020
- Larissa Lima has yet another cosmetic procedure, promises pictures after she heals - Monsters and Critics - October 30th, 2020
- Prince Monolulu: The truth behind horse racing's original showman tipster - BBC Sport - October 30th, 2020
- Tattoo artist has nose CUT OFF and horns added to make himself look like Marvel villain Red Skull - The Sun - October 27th, 2020
- Removery Expands To Meet Increasing Tattoo Removal Demand - PRNewswire - October 27th, 2020
- Shaquille O'Neal's Son Shareef Reveals Another Tattoo He Got in Honor of the Late Kobe Bryant - AmoMama - October 27th, 2020
- Chris Evans shares a picture of his pup Dodger resting in the sweetest place - Dog of the Day - October 27th, 2020
- Why Senator Mitch McConnells Hand Appears Discolored, Here Are Some Possibilities - Forbes - October 24th, 2020
- Rashod Bateman: Back with the Gophers, and receptive to change - Minneapolis Star Tribune - October 22nd, 2020
- Actress Lake Bell And Husband Scott Campbell Split After 7 Years Of Marriage - YourTango - October 22nd, 2020
- Vanessa Bryant Shares Pictures of Her New Tattoo Honoring Kobe and Gianna - Fox Sports Radio - October 21st, 2020
- Chef Jennifer Zavala on the Best and Worst Things About South Philly - Philadelphia magazine - October 19th, 2020
- Sanjay Dutt Looks Fit And Fabulous in New Pictures After Assuring Fans That he Would Beat Cancer - India.com - October 17th, 2020
- Sushant Singh Rajputs sister shares rare pictures of their mother, who died when SSR was a teenager.... - Hindustan Times - October 17th, 2020
- Newly Married Niti Taylor Gets Husband Parikshits Name Tattooed on Her Ring Finger, Says Very Long Name - India.com - October 16th, 2020
- Niti Taylor Gets Husband Parikshit Bawa's Name Tattooed on Finger as 2nd Month Anniversary Gift - News18 - October 16th, 2020
- The Argonaut Pen and Oak Tattoo opens shop - Argonaut - October 16th, 2020
- This Has Been a Trying Year. Chris Smith Knows As Well As Anyone - Sports Illustrated - October 16th, 2020
- Kaley Cuoco and Zosia Mamet Got the Chicest Matching Tattoos in Honor of Their Show The Flight Attendant - Us Weekly - October 14th, 2020
- Niti Taylor Gets Hubby Parikshit Bawas Name Inked On Second Month Anniversary After A Hush-Hush Wedding - SpotboyE - October 14th, 2020
- 11 pictures of YOUR Sunderland AFC tattoos - Sunderland Echo - October 14th, 2020
- Fantasia's Husband Kendall Taylor Honored Her with a Tattoo Glimpse at His Romantic Gesture - AmoMama - October 14th, 2020