Jon Pompia|The Pueblo Chieftain
In my 1979 Ford Mustang beset with more problems than a calculus syllabus,there was a cassette stereo that, most appropriately, never functioned properly either.
In fact, the eject button eventually went kaput, which resulted in Motley Crue's seminal release "Shout at the Devil" taking up residence for myentire junior year of college.
In hindsight, the only worthwhile memory associated with that bucket of bolts.
Until I heard that 1983 hard/glam rock masterpiece, I always considered the band's first release, "Too Fast for Love," to be the greatest thing since Anita Ekberg in Fellini's La Dolce Vita."
But hearing "Shout at the Devil" on an endless loop fully revealed the dark and glorious beauty, and ferocious hunger, of this upstart band of misfits from the heart of Hollywood.
And coupled with the aforementioned"Too Fast for Love," "Shout" set in motion an unbreakable obsession with the band, especially lead Crue-ster Nikki Sixx, whom I considered the coolest and most talented cat to ever walk the Sunset Strip in 7-inch heels.
"Im sure there are much biggerMotleyCrue fans out there, but I have been a pretty big one for as long as i can remember," said Matt Centner, an account executive for Effectv, and president of Southern Colorado Press Club as well as the board of the Greater Pueblo Chamber of Commerce.
"My guess, since I was 7 years old: hearing 'Girls, Girls, Girls' for the first time when that album came out."
Although I only caught the Crue in concert once, a not particularly memorable stop on the "Carnival of Sins" caravan, Matt hit the "Crue Trifecta" in 2005:all three Colorado shows in less than a month.
"Add a few more shows over the years, and even the two Vince Neil solo shows at the Colorado State Fair when the band took a break, and I have probably seen this band more times than any other I can think of," he said.
In narrowing the wide Crue song field to 10, Matt said he began to "break down songs and albums, it became much more difficult than I expected: so many great songs. But its a top 10 list, so here it goes, in noparticular order."
SHOUT AT THE DEVIL
MATT: The title track to the1983 release, this is usually the one that kicks off the show. That Vince Neil is still able to hit the high notes, even close to 40 years later, is phenomenal. Add in the crowd engagement and chants of shout, shout, shout and this is a solid hit to start the list.
JON: Staking a claim as the greatest kickoff to an album ever, this menacing but insanely catchy ode to resistance is, without a doubt, one of the top five MC songs of all time. The "devil," in case you are wondering, was reportedly Ronald Wilson Reagan, whom Nikki Sixx was convinced was the Antichrist as prophesized in scripture. That's reason alone to love this masterwork.
MATT:One of my first introductions toMotleyCrue, this has awesome guitar riffs from Mick Mars from the get go and powerful drumming by Tommy Lee. To me, this is probably Tonny's best drumming performance.We can never forget the spinning drum set, with Tommy playing upside down. Of course, the personal highlight of this song as a 7-year old was the line Kicking (expletive)on the Wild Side." Love this song.
JON: After the lackluster "Theatre of Pain" album, the Kings of L.A. returned with something to prove. Like "Shout" and before it "Live Wire," "Wild Side" is the ideal start to a record chock full of meatytunes. The ferociousness of the main lick is complemented by gritty, and some might way blasphemous,lyrics I consider to be among the best Sixx ever penned.
HOME SWEET HOME
MATT: Slowing it down a bit from the traditional hard hitting sound. "Home Sweet Home" was a song I blasted making trips home from college or after being away for awhile. Vince'sfocus and Mick'sguitar carry most ofsong, but Tommy'spiano playing was a new sound for the band. This track off 1985's "Theatre of Pain" iscertainly the best original song off the album. It even came back to life to close out the movie Hot Tub Time Machine.
JON: Fantastic on the first couple of spins, but overplaying, especially on MTV, and overhyping killed it for me. I know "Theatre of Pain" has taken its licks from critics and record buyers alike, but I maintain that it does host one truly great Crue track, the overlooked "City Boy Blues." Driven by a swaggering lick and loose groove worthy of Keith Richards, this cut boasts another batch of killer lyrics that prove Sixx was the Charles Bukowski of his day.
DON'T GO AWAY MAD (JUST GO AWAY)
MATT:My first track off 1989's "Dr. Feelgood" continues the ballad-type style but with a little more energy than some of the "lighter-waving" songs. In the era of music videos, this was a good one.
JON: I know "Dr. Feelgood" sold millions and exposed MC to a whole new legion of fans, butfor the most part, I find it much too poppy and commercially contrived. Sure, the title track and "Kickstart My Heart" are the bee's knees, but the rest strays too far from the Sunset Strip depravity that served as the band's benchmark. Instead, I'm going with "Looks that Kill," which follows "Shout" on the album, giving that disc a one-two punch that levels any pretenders to the hard/glam rock throne. Arguably, the most notable example of "riff rock," with that inescapable three-chord main passage giving way to a plethora of similarly engaging passages.
MATT: Sticking with arguably the best album ever fromMotleyCrue, this track was a bridge from traditional hair band-type rock to a harder style, before the grudge era took over. Written by Nikki and Mick, as were most Crue songs, this boasts another powerful drumming performance and consistently great riffs. One of MotleyCrues top five songs, ever.
JON: The opening guitar chug that leads into the main riff remains as colossally epic as The Big Bang itself. This track oozes attitude, but like the best of the Crue's output, is accessible, memorable and fun. As this was to appear on my list, I will use the opportunity to single out the excitable ferocity of "Piece of Your Action," a highlight of the debut "Too Fast for Love." Like "Take Me To the Top" from that same disc, "Piece" is cut straight from the less glamorous side of Hollywood that birthed the quartet.
MATT: Even on a greatest hits album,MotleyCrue still finds a way to produce new hits. Off the "Decade of Decadence" compilation from 1991, "Primal Scream" showed thatthe Crue could continue to deliver hits: even when all of their hits are on the same album.
JON: A solid track to be sure, as are the covers of "Teaser" and "Anarchy on the U.K." also found on "Decade." But I'm going to venture off the main part of the Sunset Strip onto a back alley not often visited by true Crue fans: the "Motley Crue" disc from 1994 that featured John Corabi, rather than Vince Neil, on vocals. Although all but lost to history, that self titled albumboasts a first-rate hard charger in the form of "Hooligan's Holiday:" Like "Hell on High Heels" from the also overlooked "New Tattoo" record, the powerfully raw "Hooligan's Holiday" is a track that demands a revisit.
GIRLS, GIRLS, GIRLS
MATT: This one is a no-brainer for a Top 10 list: the song and video that truly putMotleyCrue on the mainstream map in 1987. Along with "Wild Side," this was one of my earliest memories ofMotleyCrue. I remember going to the local restaurant/bar in my hometown with my parents. The owner cranked it up on the jukebox and I was hooked. The motorcycles revving up to kick the song off showed more of the attitudeMotleyCrue has when they deliver hits
JON: One of the Crue songs that even non-Crue fans especially patrons of adults-only cabarets know, this one is indeed an obvious selection. Which is why I'm returning to 1983 and what I consider to be one of the band's greatest achievements, "Too Young to Fall in Love." The pop hit that never was you can probably blame the flaming pentagrams and band's satanic aura for that this is metal with a bite, heart and a melody that digs in for the long haul.
SAME OL' SITUATION (S.O.S.)
MATT: Back to "Dr. Feelgood," and not for the last time, "S.O.S" showcased more of Vince's powerful vocals. In what would seem to most to be a simple video of a band performing live in front of the crowd, it added a few extra elements such as the rising drum set, which you would see at a Crue concert. But to wrap it up, they added in, as a tribute,the spinning video camera to catch all of the fans and get their reactions.
JON: Right or wrong, I always see "Dr. Feelgood" as a move into the mainstream, which is about the time I lose interest. Chalk it up to sobriety, as the band was reportedly off all the illicit substances that characterized the early days and, in my opinion, superior songcraft. From 1983,"Danger" is as fitting an album closer as "Shout" is an opener. A dark and foreboding street serenade, "Danger" unfolds like an autobiographical expose of the dangerous underbelly of Hollywood, "my town," in the words of Sixx. This is the sound of a young and hungry band, with production and atmospherethat, in my estimation, was never topped.
IF I DIE TOMORROW
MATT: "What?"Im sure this is what many of you are thinking, but I had to go with a recent hit due to the fact thatMotleyCrue went through a rough patch between 1992 and 2003. So when the band decided to get back together and plan a tour, they released an anthology album, "Red, White and Crue." This included all the hits one would expect,including ones thatdidn't make "Decade of Decadence." Well it wouldnt beMotleyCrue without adding a couple more hits to the mix, and "If I Die Tomorrow" was the ballad hit we hadnt had since "Dr. Feelgood."
JON: Admittedly, I had to track this down for what turned out to be my first listen.It's not a bad song, but not memorable enough to be considered one of the top 10. What does belong in this spot, however, is a tossup. So take your pick from "Starry Eyes," "Red Hot," "Dancing on Glass," "Louder than Hell," "Knock Em Dead Kid," "Afraid" or "Kickstart My Heart."
KICKSTART MY HEART
MATT: My final selection isa hard-hitting song that turned out to be one of the bigger stadium/arena sports anthems you hear at events: especially a Colorado Avalanche hockey game. So much power and energy, it's impossible to not get pumped up when this song comes on the radio or at an arena near you.
JON: For me, there is no other song to cap a list than the one that started the black leather and eyeliner revolution. Not only does "Live Wire" start the "Too Fast for Love" album, it effectively kicked off MC's career and my ongoing fascination with these street savvy hitmakers. I know this is a key track in the biopic "The Dirt," but I wouldn't know, because I have no real desire to see it. After reading "The Dirt," the book on which the Netflix piece is based, I was thoroughly disappointed, because many of the juiciest and wildest stories I recalled from obsessively pouring over "Circus," "Creem," "Hit Parader," "Kerrang" and other bibles of mayhem, didn't even make the book.
Chieftain reporter Jon Pompia can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or at twitter.com/jpompia.
Follow this link:
- US-Mexico border closure turned busy streets into ghost town - Business Insider - September 1st, 2021
- History Of Tattoo. The Time Of The Appearance Of The First Tattoos. - The Seeker Newsmagazine Cornwall - The Seeker - August 20th, 2021
- Australian Baroques Space Music blends historical composition and astronomical images at the Girls School - The West Australian - August 6th, 2021
- Abi Rawlings: Who is the Love Island 2021 star? - The Independent - August 6th, 2021
- The Unending Allure Of the Tattoo Boyfriend and the Pretty Girlfriend - Jezebel - July 8th, 2021
- Rauw Alejandro, Like the Rest of Us, Has A Big Crush on J.Lo - Interview - July 8th, 2021
- Love Island hunk to wow girls in villa by showing them tattoo of his MUM... - The Sun - June 26th, 2021
- Brooke Shields finds an unusual and very personal way to bond with her teenage daughter - Woman & Home - June 26th, 2021
- Katie Prices fiance Carl Woods trolled over new tattoo of her with fans saying it looks like her rival J... - The Irish Sun - June 26th, 2021
- Tokyo Tattoo Girls on Steam - June 9th, 2021
- Blueface Responds to Video of Women Getting Tattoos, in Bunk Beds - XXL - XXLMAG.COM - May 4th, 2021
- Grandpa wants to bribe girls not to get a tattoo - The Boston Globe - May 4th, 2021
- Heres The Full Story Behind That Viral TikTok Of A Girl Getting Upskirted At A Syd Tattoo Shop - Pedestrian TV - April 19th, 2021
- Ruby Rose on gender, bullying and breaking free: I had a problem with authority - The Guardian - April 4th, 2021
- Traditional Croatian Tattoos: Meet the tattoo artist keeping tradition alive - Croatia Week - March 8th, 2021
- David and Victoria Beckham Have a Matching Hebrew Tattoo Here's What It Means - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 8th, 2021
- Exotic Body Works celebrates 25th anniversary - Hammonton Gazette - February 14th, 2021
- Gigi Hadid and Zayn Malik now have matching tattoos in honour of their daughter Emirates Woman - Emirates Woman - February 11th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Irish Sun - February 11th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Sun - February 10th, 2021
- 10 Celebs Who Have Finger Tattoos | TheThings - TheThings - February 7th, 2021
- Kamala Harris' Stepdaughter Ella Emhoff Is Making Waves Get To Know The Rising Model In 5 Snaps - OK! - February 4th, 2021
- Problems with girls and the Troubles with men - The Irish Times - February 4th, 2021
- New Movies to Watch This Week: Supernova, The Little Things, Palmer - Variety - February 2nd, 2021
- Cops investigated kidnappings, extortions, teen runaways across California. Victims all ended up at same motel, forced into sex trafficking, feds say... - January 27th, 2021
- 'Miss Scarlet and the Duke' Recap: Episode 2 - WTTW News - January 25th, 2021
- The tattoo on her arm said it all: Grace Orzechowski was a fighter - Concord Monitor - January 20th, 2021
- Modern, Edgy And Bold: Different Bob Cuts For Girls To Try - Femina - January 15th, 2021
- What's New on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Disney+, and More in January 2021 - TV Guide - January 15th, 2021
- KVD Vegan Beauty Announces Launch of Limited-Edition Tattoo Liner with Global Organization, Girl Up - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2021
- Sonakshi Sinha Paints The Town Yellow in an Embroidered Cape Set from the Shelves of Arpita Mehta Worth Rs 39 - India.com - January 12th, 2021
- Musician tattoo stories | Wild and funny tattoos - Alternative Press - January 12th, 2021
- 40+ YA Book Cover Artists and Designers to Follow on Instagram - Book Riot - January 12th, 2021
- FIRST LOOK: Meet the contestants for new reality dating show The Cabins - FM104 - January 5th, 2021
- The Cabins cast: Meet all the contestants in the winter Love Island dating show - The Sun - January 5th, 2021
- What's New on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Disney+, and More in January 2021 - TV Guide - January 3rd, 2021
- Gothika Ending, Explained | Why Did Miranda See the Boy's Ghost? - The Cinemaholic - December 31st, 2020
- Tour Tales | Crowned YB shares untold stories of shooting Dave East around the world - REVOLT TV - December 31st, 2020
- An Interview with Gareth Johnson MP by Neve Wilson, Dartford Grammar School for Girls - This is Local London - December 31st, 2020
- Everything coming to and leaving Netflix in January 2021 - Fox News - December 28th, 2020
- Well At Least Some Positives for Women in 2020 - The Citizen - December 27th, 2020
- Jollof Couscous & Leather Jackets: Inside The Mind Of Enny - British Vogue - December 25th, 2020
- This is Justin Vernon from Bon Ivers favourite song of all time - Far Out Magazine - December 25th, 2020
- Family beg dad who disappeared after saying he was 'going away' to call this Christmas - Liverpool Echo - December 25th, 2020
- Shows like Black Widows that you may like; from Django Unchained to Gone Girl & more - Republic World - December 25th, 2020
- Michaela Garechts mother reacts to arrest of suspect in 1988 Hayward kidnapping of 9-year-old daughter - San Francisco Chronicle - December 25th, 2020
- The Interview Gift Guide That Gives Back - Interview - December 23rd, 2020
- 25 Feather Tattoos for Girls in 2020 NewShables - December 21st, 2020
- How sexy these tattoos on intimate body parts of women ... - December 21st, 2020
- How I Met Your Mother: 10 Worst First Dates The Characters Had - Screen Rant - December 21st, 2020
- Sabrina Carpenter's Got Her Very First Tattoo, and It's a Reference to Her "Lucky" Life - POPSUGAR Beauty Austrailia - December 18th, 2020
- Whats New On Netflix In January: Night Stalker, History of Swear Words, Cobra Kai And More - BroBible - December 18th, 2020
- Roxanne First Shares Her Inspirations - Vanity Fair - December 16th, 2020
- So, What the Hell Folk Tales Is Taylor Swift Telling Now on evermore? - Vulture - December 12th, 2020
- The Work Diary of Mira Mariah, Tattoo and Girl Culture Expert - The New York Times - December 11th, 2020
- Strongest girl in the world: Meet the 7-year-old who can lift 80 kg - The Indian Express - December 11th, 2020
- Mum of twins divides opinion after tattooing one baby to help tell them apart - Heart - December 11th, 2020
- Three Oaks wants INKED to raise awareness - Toronto Star - December 11th, 2020
- [150+] Beautiful Wrist Tattoo Ideas ... - Tattoos for Girls - December 6th, 2020
- The girl with her own tattoos: the joy of homemade ink - The Guardian - December 6th, 2020
- 35 Hand Tattoos for Women | Cute Tattoos For Girls On Hand - December 6th, 2020
- Emily Viti's son has MPS and the Framingham High volleyball coach is fighting to find a cure for the terminal disease - Milford Daily News - December 6th, 2020
- Mara and Dona: Argentine twins a living tribute to soccer great - Reuters - November 28th, 2020
- Born into occupation, young Afghans fear the Taliban will crush their freedoms when US troops exit - Anchorage Daily News - November 23rd, 2020
- Environmental contest's winning displays and essays are on exhibit at Jeff Library - NOLA.com - November 18th, 2020
- Tiffany Calver: Living the dream | DJMag.com - DJ Mag - November 18th, 2020
- Blind date: 'We realised we have matching tattoos' - The Guardian - November 16th, 2020
- Tattooed twins from Germany (PHOTOS) - The Saxon - November 12th, 2020
- A Clover in weeds, loss, homelessness, beatings and love - Tucson Weekly - November 5th, 2020
- The Real Housewives of New York City's First-Ever Black Housewife Isn't Holding Back - The Daily Beast - November 3rd, 2020
- Every time Bollywood actresses proved that they are protective mothers - Times Now - November 3rd, 2020
- Broadley, BF girls three-peat on Thetford trail - Brattleboro Reformer - November 1st, 2020
- Jack Nowell: Would I get a tattoo of Eddie Jones? Only if he promises to pick me for every England game - iNews - October 31st, 2020
- Ronald Hall, Worcester man accused of human trafficking, kept women addicted to drugs and had his nickname ta - MassLive.com - October 30th, 2020
- Learner Dad: 'I need to get the kids to write an early Santa letter so they cant change their minds' - Irish Examiner - October 27th, 2020
- 133 Inspiring Cute and Small Tattoos Ideas for Girls - October 22nd, 2020
- 30 Beautiful Tattoos for Girls 2020 - Meaningful Tattoo ... - October 22nd, 2020
- Jill Duggar's Tattoo Opinions Have Changed, but Does She Have One? - Distractify - October 22nd, 2020
- Sophie Turner wears vote hoodie on stroll with Joe Jonas and baby girl - Metro.co.uk - October 22nd, 2020
- Jacqueline Jossa reveals her incredible singing voice in the car after admitting she wants to sing on stage - The Irish Sun - October 22nd, 2020