KJ-1.It is highly likely that the Proud Boys will become energized and experience increased membership because of the recent negative media attention the group has received from partisan news outlets and journalists.
KJ-2.It is highly likely the Proud Boys will continue to be a counter element at political protests. Although the group does organize its own rallies, most of its activism is as an answer to adversarial groups like ANTIFA. It is almost certain that civil unrest in the U.S. will continue to rise in months leading to and following the presidential election. This will increase the likelihood of violence among opposing groups.
KJ-3.Despite media reporting, it is highly likely that the Proud Boys will not be designated as a criminal organization anytime soon, although the FBI has clarified that the group may have been tied to extreme acts. This will likely change if Joe Biden is to be elected president: President Trump recently declared ANTIFA a terrorist organization, and it is likely that the Proud Boys will receive that same treatment as a political move.
If you have followed what has been going on in American politics or society over the past few years, there is a chance you may have found yourself wondering if the quote abandon hope all ye who enter from Dantes Inferno should be placed in the arrivals entrance of every U.S. international airport terminal, just as it is placed over the fictionalized gates of hell. Tribalism has set in, and a diverse selection of factions have found themselves locked in battle in domestic political and social protests.
Since the 2016 presidential election, protests and direct activism in the United States have generally been steered by an energized public sphere. Various political and social groups have been formed, strengthened, and locked in a kinetic battle over the superiority of their ideas.
The fringe groups on the traditional x-axis model of the political spectrum have managed to gather significant media attention. The unfortunate reality of that is the hyper-partisan nature of journalistic coverage. It happens on both sides, with groups like ANTIFA movement on the left being used as political pawns for the right, and the Boogaloo movement on the right being used as a political pawn for the left. This hyper-partisanship makes it difficult to separate truth from falsehoods and analyze these groups objectively.
Read Next: ANTIFA: The movement that Trump wants to declare a terrorist organization
In the Swahili language, Uhuru is a word for freedom, liberation, and autonomy. In the West, the term has ironically been appropriated as the battle-cry of the Proud Boys, one of the strangest contemporary political groups to emerge in the U.S. Chances are, if you encounter the Proud Boys in the wild, you will hear Uhuru chanted in unison among its members.
On September 25th, 2020, Oregon Governor Kate Brown declared a state of emergency. Prior to that announcement, Oregon had endured months of hardship. Recent wildfires had wreaked havoc across the state, destroying homes and forcing families to evacuate. In the city of Portland, protests for law enforcement reforms resulted in almost nightly riots, violence, and destruction, caused by primarily left-wing groups like ANTIFA and their allies.
On that day, however, the reason for the declared emergency was different. The Proud Boys were set to march in Portland the following day, and it was expected that their presence alone would spark civil unrest. The reason given for their march was to seek some sort of vigilante justice against the adversarial groups causing destruction in the city.
The rally was rather uneventful. At least in the sense that it remained relatively peaceful. In national media, however, the Proud Boys once again became the target of conversation and media talking points.
Seventy-two hours later, on the evening of the 29th, the U.S. public was graciously treated to the first presidential debate, between candidates Joe Biden and President Donald Trump. During the debate, moderator Chris Wallace asked the President: Are you willing tonight, to condemn white supremacist and militia groups, and, to say, that they need to stand down, and not add to the violence at a number of these cities? The President hesitated to directly condemn any groups. He asked for clarification on which groups Wallace meant. Biden suggested the Proud Boys, to which the President replied, Proud Boys, stand back and stand by.
The Fallout: Although the President publicly denounced the group a few days later, let us just say, the partisan media were given a gift.
Gavin McInnes first heard the song Proud of your boy at his daughters school production of Aladdin. The song itself was cut from Disneys 1992 animated classic, and according to McInnes is the most annoying song in the world. That conclusion was not based on its musical composition but on its lyrics. According to McInnes, if theres one song that would make a father totally devoid of pride, it would be this Proud of Your Boy. The core message of the song involves Aladdin apologizing to his mother for what McInnes would consider a boy acting like [sic] boys do.
McInnes is no stranger to controversy. In 1994 he co-founded Vice Media which he left it in 2008 due to creative differences. Since then he has been involved with multiple right-wing and alternative news sites. His activities have ranged from being a commentator on Fox News to having his own internet show on various independent networks.
Many media outlets and journalists consider him to be some sort of racist hipster, likely due to his profane and unfiltered nature and punk rock attitude towards politics and culture. McInnes has written guest columns in white nationalist affiliated websites such as VDARE, American Renaissance, and Takis Magazine.
Read Next: The media that cried wolf: How trumped-up coverage is hurting political discourse in America
Furthermore, McInnes has openly given a platform and even praise towards prominent white supremacists like Jared Taylor, Augustus Invictus, and Richard Spencer. Despite being documented using racist and sexist language, McInnes vocally claims that he or his Proud Boys are not white nationalists or racist in any way. Media outlets think differently, and they commonly label both parties as allies of the white nationalist movement.
The groups official website claims that the Proud Boys are a pro-Western fraternal organization for men who refuse to apologize for creating the modern world; aka Western Chauvinists. Although only men can be part of the organization, women have their own supportive sub-group called Proud Boys Girls that is officially recognized by Proud Boys.
FirstDegree:A prospective member openly declares: I am a western chauvinist, and I refuse to apologize for creating the modern world.
Second Degree: Firstly, a first degree Proud Boy must be jumped in by receiving a physical beating by established members while loudly reciting the names of five breakfast cereals. Secondly, the Proud Boy must take a personal vow to give up masturbation thereby increasing testosterone and having increased sexual encounters (I am not making this up).
Thirds Degree: A second degree Proud Boy must get a Proud Boys tattoo (size, shape, etc subjective to each individual member).
Fourth Degree: The fourth degree is more of an addition to the primary three. This degree is awarded to a Proud Boy who has endured a major conflict related to the cause. McInnes himself wrote an article on the official groups website clarifying what that means after controversy over the degrees adversarial and violent tone.
The Proud Boys are not going anywhere, and their recent media coverage has only energized them more. The central threat they present is of violent political and social protests, although they are not known to attack or harass civilians. At grassroots rallies, they organize in support of their causes. The direction that the group will take in the coming months is unknown, but the conditions are set for ample opportunities to demonstrate its growing activism and membership. Media coverage is likely to inspire more people to join the group in protest of the media and groups like ANTIFA who are in direct opposition to the Proud Boys ideology.
This article was written by Michael Ellmer and originally published on Grey Dynamics.
See original here:
- Jill Duggar shows off her fresh haircut & teases big changes after reality star revealed she may get a... - The Sun - November 23rd, 2021
- 30 things to know about The Pyramid as the Memphis landmark turns 30 - Commercial Appeal - November 9th, 2021
- They created monsters: How New Zealands brutal welfare system produced criminals - The Guardian - October 29th, 2021
- Alone, starved and living with a brothers corpse. Why did no one save the Texas house of horror boys? - The Independent - October 29th, 2021
- Local Kan. elections getting taken over by bruising DC-style politics - Hays Post - October 29th, 2021
- Leaked Video Helped Lead to the Conviction of a Far Right "Proud Boy" - Truthout - October 17th, 2021
- For the Flyers Kevin Hayes, his big brother will never be gone - The Delaware County Daily Times - October 17th, 2021
- The Skys The Limit, On And Off The Court, And These Girls Have Got Next - CBS Chicago - October 17th, 2021
- 8 Best Places To Get A Tattoo for Both Men and Women - TheTealMango - October 5th, 2021
- Real Madrid 1-2 Sheriff: Sebastien Thill has tattoo of himself dreaming of the UCL - GIVEMESPORT - October 5th, 2021
- #BlackInkChi Recap: Ryan Confronts Former Friend After Sleeping With His Ex, Twitter Says Hes For The Streets - HipHopWired - October 5th, 2021
- Review: At the Hella Mega Tour it was all about the cult of Green Day - pacificsandiego.com - September 1st, 2021
- Matt Willis is removing his tattoos in a bid to bag top movie roles... - The Sun - August 20th, 2021
- Lauren Phillips Reveals The Matching 'Bad Tattoo' She Has With A Scottish Boy - KIIS1011 - August 20th, 2021
- R Kelly trial hears singer is a 'predator' who lured girls, boys and young women with his fame - ABC News - August 20th, 2021
- Why Jonah Hills body love tattoo is so important for the male body positive movement - Yahoo Life - August 6th, 2021
- What's New to Stream on Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+ and More in July 2021 - TV Guide - July 22nd, 2021
- Love Island: What tattoos does Danny Bibby have and what do they mean? - Metro.co.uk - July 22nd, 2021
- Capitol riot suspect arrested after giant tattoo revealed on video - The Independent - June 9th, 2021
- The Sacred Male Body Modification Practices That Still Exist Today - InsideHook - May 16th, 2021
- `We were never terrorists`: Proud Boys Canada officially dissolved` - WION - May 4th, 2021
- Farmer Boys celebrating 40th anniversary with free burger tattoo - KTNV Las Vegas - April 19th, 2021
- Here are the nine men from Hudson Valley charged with participating in Jan. 6 Capitol riot - Times Herald-Record - April 19th, 2021
- Crowdfunding Hate in the Name of Christ - The Nation - April 4th, 2021
- Guest Opinion | Reflections on the course Women Unknown: Fight for Independence - UI The Daily Iowan - April 4th, 2021
- Part 3: How a Trini played a role in the life of Nipsey Hussle - Loop News Trinidad and Tobago - April 4th, 2021
- We want to keep him alive Family, friends remember San Antonios Tito Bradshaw two years later - San Antonio Express-News - April 4th, 2021
- Quick on the draw: Castagna the chaotic Tiger with a tattoo gun - The Age - April 4th, 2021
- Love Island Australias Phoebe Thompson reveals WAP lip tattoo as she celebrates birthday - The Irish Sun - March 8th, 2021
- Brave, Powerful, Complicated: The Most Formidable Heroines In Film - British Vogue - March 8th, 2021
- Jaden Hill is LSU's ace pitcher who has a bigger calling in life: 'I'm chosen to help people' - The Advocate - February 19th, 2021
- Gangland: a book about meth and the people whose lives it touches - The Spinoff - February 17th, 2021
- SA tattoo artist to the stars on taking his skill abroad - News24 - February 14th, 2021
- Memories of dad help make University of Houston's Justin Gorham a rebounding machine - Houston Chronicle - February 11th, 2021
- Tauranga's strongest head to the Highlands - The Bay's News First - SunLive - February 6th, 2021
- Nick Carter of Backstreet Boys Got His Paris Hilton Tattoo Just 3 Week Before They Broke up - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 30th, 2021
- 2 Green Country Women Share Stories Through Tattoo Ink; Competing In National Contest - News On 6 - January 30th, 2021
- Gangs? Cliques? Subgroups? Call Them What You Will There've Been 18 (Yes, 18) In The LA Sheriff's Department - LAist - January 22nd, 2021
- Trump's useful thugs: how the Republican party offered a home to the Proud Boys - The Guardian - January 22nd, 2021
- Proud Boys among groups being watched as inauguration approaches. Do they have Northeast Ohio ties? - Akron Beacon Journal - January 20th, 2021
- Who are Proud Boys? The Western chauvinist far-right group explained and what Donald Trump has previously said about them - The Scotsman - January 15th, 2021
- Theyve been hidden too long: Report details Los Angeles Sheriffs deputy gangs and violence toward communities of color - East Bay Times - January 15th, 2021
- Hawaii Proud Boy Charged By DOJ After Raiding US Capitol - Honolulu Civil Beat - January 9th, 2021
- Swimming With My Shirt Off - The New York Times - January 9th, 2021
- How the Internet Reflected on and Coped With the Capitol Attack - Hyperallergic - January 9th, 2021
- The Weekly-ish Mailbag is mailing it in this week. - Off Tackle Empire - December 31st, 2020
- Four months before her wedding, Mary knew it was over - Sydney Morning Herald - December 19th, 2020
- Family, determination and a dream: The Real Woods story - The Stanford Daily - December 16th, 2020
- Skating solo gives me time to study everyone else on the rink - The Globe and Mail - December 16th, 2020
- LOCAL NEWS BRIEFS: Price is Right Live show rescheduled - Goshen News - December 16th, 2020
- Controversial Mom Made One Of Her Twin Toddlers Get A Tattoo For Very Important Reason - BabyGaga - December 11th, 2020
- Mum of twins tattoos one so she can tell them apart leaving mother-in-law fuming - Daily Star - December 11th, 2020
- Farmingtons mayor of 12 years memorializes his experience in tattoo - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - December 8th, 2020
- Im A Celebrity superfan gets tattoo of Ant and Dec at Gwrych Castle inked onto his thigh - The Sun - December 1st, 2020
- MacAdam: Fascination with Mike Tyson began in Albany - The Daily Gazette - November 27th, 2020
- 'Home town boys' return to Philippi Main Street - The Inter-Mountain - November 20th, 2020
- The Post-Election Proud Boys Meltdown Is Here, and It's Ugly - The Daily Beast - November 12th, 2020
- I just want to be with my friends: how will children cope with being cooped up again in second lockdown? - The Guardian - November 9th, 2020
- 240+ Inspirational & Meaningful One Word Tattoos (2020 ... - November 6th, 2020
- 75+ Best Small Tattoos For Men (2020) - Simple Cool ... - November 6th, 2020
- Tickets for sale in Snohomish County and around the region - The Daily Herald - November 5th, 2020
- Seances, tattoos and the unbreakable bond between Mikaela Mayer and Al Mitchell - ESPN - October 30th, 2020
- Students rediscover their childhood fandoms on TikTok - Daily Northwestern - October 29th, 2020
- Chase Winovich talks playing time, conspiracy theories with Zolak & Bertrand - 98.5 The Sports Hub - October 22nd, 2020
- The Cycle of Punitive Justice Starts in Schools. Eric Butler Is Showing Kids and Teachers How to Break It. - Mother Jones - October 21st, 2020
- Theatre Alliance to perform outdoor production of Devil Boys from Beyond - Yes! Weekly - October 16th, 2020
- Freshers' Flu - Why My Mum Invented COVID - Cherwell Online - October 10th, 2020
- Who Are the Proud Boys Trump Told To 'Stand Back and Stand By'? - Snopes.com - October 8th, 2020
- Dan Osbornes tattoo shows hes protective of Jacqueline Jossa & the meaning behind Brooklyn Beckhams spoo - The Sun - October 7th, 2020
- When the Proud Boys came to town - The Economist - October 7th, 2020
- The ten essential facts you need to know about BTS's Suga - Film Daily - October 6th, 2020
- 30 Best Neck Tattoos for Boys and Girls - The Best Tattoo ... - September 30th, 2020
- Best 100+ Tattoo Designs For Men and Boys - Youme And Trends - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys, the extremist group Trump named in the debate - Insider - INSIDER - September 30th, 2020
- Fred Perry Will Denounce Proud Boys, But The President Won't - Highsnobiety - September 30th, 2020
- Hooligans With Heart: Phoenix Risings Red Fury fan club reaches out to refugees - Cronkite News - September 30th, 2020
- Whats New on Netflix UK & Top 10s: September 30th, 2020 - What's on Netflix - September 30th, 2020
- From the Fields: Soaking it up now | agrinews-pubs.com - Agri News - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys and why did Trump tell them to stand by? - The Irish Sun - September 30th, 2020
- The Giant Proud Boy Rally That Wasn't - VICE - September 28th, 2020