No one gets a tattoo thinking theyll want it removed, but circumstances change and tastes evolve. Thats where science and technology step in in the late 60s, doctors began experimenting with lasers and discovered that focused light beams can break up tattoo ink, allowing the body to absorb the pigment and remove it via natural processes. Since then, the laser-powered removal process has been refined, resulting in fewer and less severe side effects such as scarring and skin discoloration. Now, professionals favor Q-switched lasers such as the Lumenis and photomechanical lasers including the PicoSure.
Despite the relative ease of modern-day tattoo removal, those in the market for un-inked skin will need to prepare for multiple removal sessions, as well as pre and post-procedure downtime.HYPEBAEconsulted experts about what to expect from your first tattoo removal session, as well as the risks that come with going bare.
I always tell people that tattoo removal is a misnomer, Dr. Jeremy Fenton of Schweiger Dermatologysays. It is very difficult to completely remove a tattoo. Most people have to settle for a lightening of the tattoo, and if you look closely, you will often see some remnant of ink, the board certified dermatologist explains.
In addition, color tattoos are more challenging to remove on darker skin tones than on lighter complexions. Pointing to the medical communitys oversight of Black patients, Dr. Fenton notes that certain wavelengths of lasers most effective for color ink are not safe to use in darker skin.
Different types of lasers have their own pros and cons, depending on what type of tattoo youre trying to get removed. Most likely, youll be choosing between three options: the Picosure, a Q-switched laser such as the Lumenis, or a laser that incorporates both Picosure and Q-switched technology.
Dr. Fenton uses the Picosure, as it delivers energy about 100 times faster than lasers that rely entirely on Q-switched technology. Pico technology, as in the Picosure laser, delivers energy pulses in a much smaller period of time, resulting in the ability to break up the ink into smaller particles with less risk of damage to surrounding tissue, he explains.Despite its quick speed, the Picosure offers fewer wavelength options than Q-switched lasers, a con for stubborn tattoos that respond better to slight variations in wavelength.
Nurse Jamie prefers the Lumenis PiQo4, a Q-switched laser that, according to the expert, can treat a larger sized area per pulse. Itreaches even the deepest, most stubborn colors and clears pigment more efficiently than other devices, she says.
Nurse Jamie prescribes a host of pre-session precautions. Things you cant do to the tattooed area: expose it to sunlight or tanning beds, exfoliate it, pluck it, wax it or apply irritating ingredients such asretinols, retinoids, glycolic and salicylic acids to it. Apply SFP 50+ sunscreen at all times if your treatment areas are exposed to UV light, she cautions. Dr. Fenton also suggests covering the area with a bandage before going out in the sun. If youre so starved for rays that youre considering a fake tan, dont do it tanning products should be avoided seven days before your appointment. If you are concerned about post-removal bruising, dont take blood thinners such as Advil, aspirin, ibuprofen, and fish oil supplements for one week prior.
On the day before your appointment, shave the tattooed area with a sterile, new razor and be sure to get a solid eight hours of sleep dont come hungry, tired or dehydrated. This is especially important if you are prone to fainting at the sight of needles or blood, Dr. Fenton advises. He also recommends avoiding alcohol the night before your session. Before leaving, clean the tattooed area. Dont moisturize it with any excess lotion or cream, and wear loose-fitting clothing. If you smoke cigarettes, consider giving the habit up. Smokers have worse rates of tattoo clearance, Dr. Fenton observes.
No pain, no gain. As unpleasant as it may be, the reality is that laser tattoo removal hurts. Dr. Fenton explains the nuts and bolts of the removal process in easy-to-understand terms: Laser energy is absorbed by the pigment in the skin. This energy breaks up the ink into smaller particles, he describes. When the particles get small enough, the bodys immune system is able to do its job it clears these ink particles. According to the expert, it takes about six to eight weeks for the body to flush out the pigment.
Luckily, laser tattoo removal sessions are quick and tolerable. Most of my patients opt for some type of numbing, [which] can range from topical cream or an injection of lidocaine, to just ice, Dr. Fenton shares, adding that the treated area will still be very tender post-session.
Though cases vary depending on several variables including the size, age, color and location of the tattoo expect to invest in multiple removal appointments. On average, however, Dr. Fenton says the typical patient undergoes seven sessions until the tattoo has faded to their liking. Nurse Jamie cites an average of six sessions, spaced out every four to six weeks. Though cost per session also varies, Schweiger Dermatology quotes a general estimate of $550 USD per laser tattoo removal appointment.
If youre hoping to save money by using over-the-counter tattoo removal creams, you risk suffering burns and other damaging effects. Tattoo removal creams can create chemical burns on the skin and leave behind scarring, Dr. Fenton cautions. Tattoos are meant to be permanent, so using just a tattoo removal cream wont make [them] disappear, Nurse Jamie agrees.
For one to three days after your removal session, the treated area will be red and tender. It will then peel, scab, crust or even blister similar to the after effects of getting a tattoo. The whole healing process takes at least one week, but usually about two weeks on average. It can take even longer for slower healing areas like the lower legs, Dr. Fenton states.
Until your skin is fully healed, gently wash the treated area daily and keep it protected with a layer of ointment such as Aquaphor or petroleum jelly. Cover with a bandage and refresh the ointment twice a day. As always, keep the treated skin out of the sun and protect it with sunscreen between sessions.
Nurse Jamie also recommends wearing loose clothing 24 to 48 hours afterwards. Avoid all types of exercise as well as the gym, steam room, sauna, jacuzzi and swimming pool. When showering and bathing, keep the water tepid or lukewarm avoid anything too hot.
- Tarnished Provides Advanced Laser Tattoo Removal and Tattoo Modification Using the Astanza Duality in Oakville, Connecticut - Yahoo Finance - June 9th, 2021
- This Is What Its Like To Get A Tattoo Removed, If You Once Had No Ragrets But Now Have Some - Pedestrian TV - June 9th, 2021
- Warren woman whose mugshots went viral shares her story of recovery - News 5 Cleveland - May 16th, 2021
- Meet ArrDee: The Brighton rapper behind TikTok's biggest song right now - The Tab - May 16th, 2021
- Laser All Brings Full-Spectrum Laser Tattoo Removal and Painless Laser Hair Removal to Westminster, CO with the Astanza Trinity and Astanza ReSmooth... - April 19th, 2021
- Regretting a tattoo? These are your options when it comes to getting rid of it - Fashion Journal - February 19th, 2021
- My Experience Lightening and ... - Tattoos & Piercings - February 14th, 2021
- 'Britain's most tattooed woman' shows what she looks like with ink covered up - Daily Star - February 6th, 2021
- Tattoo Removal Market Trends, Comprehensive Research Study, Development Status, Opportunities, Future Demand, Competitive Landscape and Growth by... - January 22nd, 2021
- Free tattoo removal event helps give people a clean break with past - Stockton Record - January 20th, 2021
- WJFW Newswatch 12 - News From Where You Live - Rhinelander Wisconsin WJFW TV-12 - WJFW-TV - January 20th, 2021
- Kat Von D tattoo cover- up revealed: Tattoo artist shows off new ink! - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - December 18th, 2020
- Ribbon Cutting in Boca Raton: LifeGaines Medical and Aesthetics Center Will Receive the Lumenis Excellence Award at Their Ribbon Cutting Event Today... - December 17th, 2020
- Laser Tattoo Removal Procedure, Benefits, and Risks - December 12th, 2020
- How Does Laser Tattoo Removal Work? 7 Facts You Need to Know - December 12th, 2020
- Tattoo Removal | American Society of Plastic Surgeons - December 12th, 2020
- The Best Tattoo Removalists in Canberra - The RiotACT - December 6th, 2020
- Laser tattoo removal offers hope for future - December 5th, 2020
- Laser tattoo removal offers hope for future | fox43.com - December 5th, 2020
- 7 Stars Who Had to Remove Tattoos of Their Exes, From Johnny Depp to Pete Davidson (Photos) - msnNOW - December 2nd, 2020
- The Best Laser Tattoo Removalists in Canberra - The RiotACT - November 30th, 2020
- How Much Does Tattoo Removal Cost? [2020 Price Guide] - November 12th, 2020
- 7 FAQs About Laser Tattoo Removal | Blog | Balshi Dermatology - November 12th, 2020
- The MedSpa on 5th Removes Unwanted Tattoos and Skin Blemishes with the Astanza Duality in Mount Dora, Florida - PRNewswire - November 9th, 2020
- E-dermis Magnetic Tattoo Removal An Alternative Way of Tattoo Elimination - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - November 3rd, 2020
- Understanding Laser Tattoo Removal | University of Utah Health - October 29th, 2020
- Tattoo Removal: How Much Lasering a Tattoo Costs and Hurts ... - October 29th, 2020
- Panacea Tattoo Removal Offers a Second Chance with Laser Tattoo Removal Featuring the Astanza Duality in Grand Junction, CO - PRNewswire - October 27th, 2020
- What To Expect When You Get a Tattoo - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - October 2nd, 2020
- 9 Tips for Tattoo Removal Health Essentials from ... - September 28th, 2020
- Tattoo Removal Lasers: Types & Differences - September 28th, 2020
- What You Need to Know Before Tattoo Removal - - RushPRnews.com - September 26th, 2020
- These innovative regimes and therapies are worth booking well in advance - Connecticut Magazine - September 22nd, 2020
- Chinese Taxi Drivers Ordered To Remove Tattoos - INKED - September 22nd, 2020
- Tattoo Removal: How to, Costs, Before and After Pictures ... - September 9th, 2020
- Tattoo removal - Mayo Clinic - September 9th, 2020
- Laser Tattoo Removal - Swinyer-Woseth Dermatology - September 9th, 2020
- 6 Things Everyone Gets Wrong About Laser Tattoo Removal | SELF - September 9th, 2020
- How to Remove Your Unwanted Tattoo Permanently and Safely - Chiang Rai Times - August 25th, 2020
- 10 Things No One Tells You About Tattoo Removal | Glamour - August 22nd, 2020
- How To Remove A Permanent Tattoo: DIY Methods and Surgical ... - August 22nd, 2020
- Laser surgery - Wikipedia - August 22nd, 2020
- 'Erase The Mistake' effort addresses unwanted tattoos - Huntington Herald Dispatch - August 18th, 2020
- Removery's INK-nitiative Will Remove Racist and Hate Tattoos For Free - Tyler Morning Telegraph - August 12th, 2020
- Interest In Tattoo Removal High As Removery Safely Opens Its Doors - PRNewswire - July 15th, 2020
- How to Remove a Tattoo without Laser at Home - September 13th, 2019
- Tattoo removal - Wikipedia - September 13th, 2019