Notorious for its drunken vacations, cabaret showtunes, and, frankly, its whiteness, The Real Housewives of New York City is finally saying hello to its first ever Black housewife in Season 13. But despite her impressive rsum and the much-needed diversity she brings to Bravos second oldest Housewives franchise, attorney and journalist Eboni K. Williams, 37, told The Daily Beast that at the end of the day, shes just a regular woman in New York City whos accustomed to standing out.
I always knew that I would be able to navigate spaces that were not necessarily used to people like me, and that I would be successful in it, she told The Daily Beast. It's so hard to be what you can't see, and I just want to be a part of representing Black excellence or what is possible for Black folks in this country.
The author and podcast host said that she wont let the pressure that comes with a reality TV platform change her from who she really is: a Southern-raised scholar passionate about the Black community who happened to land herself in the Big Apple a little over six years ago.
Unlike many of her castmates who share similar experiences of East Coast upbringings, Williams was raised by her single mother in the South and received a B.A. in Communications and African American Studies from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. With a juris doctorate degree from Loyola University College of Law in New Orleans, Williams later went on to represent clients in criminal cases involving drugs, rape, and murder.
My mother, Gloria, didn't even go to school with white people until high school, Williams said. She grew up in rural Louisiana, in the segregated Jim Crow South and recognized the limitations of opportunities for people that look like her. Then she had me. She just really did not subscribe to limitations for my life and, to an extent, not even for her own life.
Now, Williams co-hosts the hip-hop talk show State of the Culture on REVOLT TV, hosts and executive produces REVOLT Black News, and has just launched a new podcast called Holding Court with Eboni K. Williams where she uses her legal background to address issues like systemic racism in the court through a cultural lens.
This wont be the first time that the old-money housewives of NYC receive a stark switch-up in the types of women featured within their circle.
I always knew that I would be able to navigate spaces that were not necessarily used to people like me, and that I would be successful in it.
Last season, newcomer Leah McSweeney was the center of many arguments among her more traditional-minded castmates. McSweeney was constantly criticized for her blunt sex-positive table talk and pearl-clutch-inducing tattoos, which really just turned out to be a Chanel tattoo and a pair of wings on her vagina (you read that right.)
Viewers will be interested to see how the outspoken Williams will interact with the girls who gave McSweeney grief for her disgusting behavior. Williams opinions about President Donald Trump, for one, are wildly different from some of her future castmates, especially those with long-standing connections to the Trumps.
At the two-part Season 9 reunion Ramona Singer, along with castmates Sonja Morgan and Luanne De Lesseps, were accused of voting for Trump in the 2016 election by former castmate and journalist Carole Radziwill. Singer admitted that she knows the Trump family from their estate at Mar-a-Lago; Morgan said shes gone to lunch with Ivanka Trump and her family on multiple occasions and knows Donald from business; and De Lesseps said that shed been introduced to the president before.
When Bravo host Andy Cohen asked the ladies whom each of them voted for in the 2016 presidential election, Singer, De Lesseps and Morgan each pleaded the fifth, to which Radziwill asked: Dont you feel like the people that said, Im not going to say, voted for Trump?
More recently, at the RHONY Season 12 reunion in September, castmate Dorinda Medley, who has voted Democrat in the past, accused Singer of attending an event hosted by Donald Trump Jr., thus violating social distancing guidelines at the time.
Williams, on the other hand, has been vocal in her criticism against Mr. 45 and said that she has no time for trying to be a beacon of standard societal perfection. The media personality said that she isnt a fan of respectability politics, or the idea that Black people are rewarded with respect for behaving in a palatable manner to whiteness. When she thinks of the typical Housewife, Williams said that shell instead just have a different type of energy.
During her stint as a Fox News host in 2017, Williams condemned Trumps Charlottesville remarks on-air, calling them cowardly and dangerous. While you personally might not be a racist, President Trump, what you are is all too happy to reap the benefits of their support and you even tacitly encourage them with evasive, irresponsible statements, she said at the time.
Williams received death threats from viewers and came to realize that she couldnt have her desired impact at the conservative network anymore. She left Fox News in 2018, later telling the Breakfast Club radio show that the networks bigoted and racist reputation is all for very good reason.
But despite her RHONY castmates differing outlooks, Williams said that she isnt letting fear affect her upcoming season debut, and that shes looking forward to getting to know the girls.
And theres no better time to challenge the status quo than now, as Bravo is finally addressing some of its decade-long diversity issues and has booted racist offenders off some shows cast lists.
Williams said that she, for one, has no idea why Bravos diversity push took so long to materialize. She said that New Yorks elite tend to live in self-selected segregated social circles that dont reflect the citys abundant diversity.
Still, Williams social circles are already adjacent to some of the ladies on the show this season. Williams said that she and McSweeney have plenty of mutual friends, like Breakfast Club co-hosts Charlamagne tha God and Angela Yee, and shes hung out with Countess De Lesseps at charity events and fundraisers, too.
And though two cast members, Tinsley Mortimer and Medley, recently announced their departures from RHONY, Williams promises there are still plenty of surprises in store. (Viewers can hopefully expect a new season in the coming spring and an announcement from Bravo early in the new year, Williams said.)
I am absolutely unlike anything that the franchise has ever seen in many ways, Williams said. Everybodys got a super strong point of view and theres a lot of new dynamics at play to push it to the next level.
See the article here:
- Ruby Rose on gender, bullying and breaking free: I had a problem with authority - The Guardian - April 4th, 2021
- Traditional Croatian Tattoos: Meet the tattoo artist keeping tradition alive - Croatia Week - March 8th, 2021
- David and Victoria Beckham Have a Matching Hebrew Tattoo Here's What It Means - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 8th, 2021
- Exotic Body Works celebrates 25th anniversary - Hammonton Gazette - February 14th, 2021
- Gigi Hadid and Zayn Malik now have matching tattoos in honour of their daughter Emirates Woman - Emirates Woman - February 11th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Irish Sun - February 11th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Sun - February 10th, 2021
- 10 Celebs Who Have Finger Tattoos | TheThings - TheThings - February 7th, 2021
- Kamala Harris' Stepdaughter Ella Emhoff Is Making Waves Get To Know The Rising Model In 5 Snaps - OK! - February 4th, 2021
- Problems with girls and the Troubles with men - The Irish Times - February 4th, 2021
- New Movies to Watch This Week: Supernova, The Little Things, Palmer - Variety - February 2nd, 2021
- Cops investigated kidnappings, extortions, teen runaways across California. Victims all ended up at same motel, forced into sex trafficking, feds say... - January 27th, 2021
- 'Miss Scarlet and the Duke' Recap: Episode 2 - WTTW News - January 25th, 2021
- The tattoo on her arm said it all: Grace Orzechowski was a fighter - Concord Monitor - January 20th, 2021
- Modern, Edgy And Bold: Different Bob Cuts For Girls To Try - Femina - January 15th, 2021
- What's New on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Disney+, and More in January 2021 - TV Guide - January 15th, 2021
- KVD Vegan Beauty Announces Launch of Limited-Edition Tattoo Liner with Global Organization, Girl Up - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2021
- Sonakshi Sinha Paints The Town Yellow in an Embroidered Cape Set from the Shelves of Arpita Mehta Worth Rs 39 - India.com - January 12th, 2021
- Musician tattoo stories | Wild and funny tattoos - Alternative Press - January 12th, 2021
- 40+ YA Book Cover Artists and Designers to Follow on Instagram - Book Riot - January 12th, 2021
- FIRST LOOK: Meet the contestants for new reality dating show The Cabins - FM104 - January 5th, 2021
- The Cabins cast: Meet all the contestants in the winter Love Island dating show - The Sun - January 5th, 2021
- What's New on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Disney+, and More in January 2021 - TV Guide - January 3rd, 2021
- Gothika Ending, Explained | Why Did Miranda See the Boy's Ghost? - The Cinemaholic - December 31st, 2020
- Tour Tales | Crowned YB shares untold stories of shooting Dave East around the world - REVOLT TV - December 31st, 2020
- An Interview with Gareth Johnson MP by Neve Wilson, Dartford Grammar School for Girls - This is Local London - December 31st, 2020
- Everything coming to and leaving Netflix in January 2021 - Fox News - December 28th, 2020
- Well At Least Some Positives for Women in 2020 - The Citizen - December 27th, 2020
- Jollof Couscous & Leather Jackets: Inside The Mind Of Enny - British Vogue - December 25th, 2020
- This is Justin Vernon from Bon Ivers favourite song of all time - Far Out Magazine - December 25th, 2020
- Family beg dad who disappeared after saying he was 'going away' to call this Christmas - Liverpool Echo - December 25th, 2020
- Shows like Black Widows that you may like; from Django Unchained to Gone Girl & more - Republic World - December 25th, 2020
- Michaela Garechts mother reacts to arrest of suspect in 1988 Hayward kidnapping of 9-year-old daughter - San Francisco Chronicle - December 25th, 2020
- The Interview Gift Guide That Gives Back - Interview - December 23rd, 2020
- 25 Feather Tattoos for Girls in 2020 NewShables - December 21st, 2020
- How sexy these tattoos on intimate body parts of women ... - December 21st, 2020
- How I Met Your Mother: 10 Worst First Dates The Characters Had - Screen Rant - December 21st, 2020
- Sabrina Carpenter's Got Her Very First Tattoo, and It's a Reference to Her "Lucky" Life - POPSUGAR Beauty Austrailia - December 18th, 2020
- Whats New On Netflix In January: Night Stalker, History of Swear Words, Cobra Kai And More - BroBible - December 18th, 2020
- Roxanne First Shares Her Inspirations - Vanity Fair - December 16th, 2020
- So, What the Hell Folk Tales Is Taylor Swift Telling Now on evermore? - Vulture - December 12th, 2020
- The Work Diary of Mira Mariah, Tattoo and Girl Culture Expert - The New York Times - December 11th, 2020
- Strongest girl in the world: Meet the 7-year-old who can lift 80 kg - The Indian Express - December 11th, 2020
- Mum of twins divides opinion after tattooing one baby to help tell them apart - Heart - December 11th, 2020
- Three Oaks wants INKED to raise awareness - Toronto Star - December 11th, 2020
- [150+] Beautiful Wrist Tattoo Ideas ... - Tattoos for Girls - December 6th, 2020
- The girl with her own tattoos: the joy of homemade ink - The Guardian - December 6th, 2020
- 35 Hand Tattoos for Women | Cute Tattoos For Girls On Hand - December 6th, 2020
- Emily Viti's son has MPS and the Framingham High volleyball coach is fighting to find a cure for the terminal disease - Milford Daily News - December 6th, 2020
- Mara and Dona: Argentine twins a living tribute to soccer great - Reuters - November 28th, 2020
- Born into occupation, young Afghans fear the Taliban will crush their freedoms when US troops exit - Anchorage Daily News - November 23rd, 2020
- Environmental contest's winning displays and essays are on exhibit at Jeff Library - NOLA.com - November 18th, 2020
- Tiffany Calver: Living the dream | DJMag.com - DJ Mag - November 18th, 2020
- Blind date: 'We realised we have matching tattoos' - The Guardian - November 16th, 2020
- Tattooed twins from Germany (PHOTOS) - The Saxon - November 12th, 2020
- A Clover in weeds, loss, homelessness, beatings and love - Tucson Weekly - November 5th, 2020
- Every time Bollywood actresses proved that they are protective mothers - Times Now - November 3rd, 2020
- Broadley, BF girls three-peat on Thetford trail - Brattleboro Reformer - November 1st, 2020
- Jack Nowell: Would I get a tattoo of Eddie Jones? Only if he promises to pick me for every England game - iNews - October 31st, 2020
- Ronald Hall, Worcester man accused of human trafficking, kept women addicted to drugs and had his nickname ta - MassLive.com - October 30th, 2020
- Learner Dad: 'I need to get the kids to write an early Santa letter so they cant change their minds' - Irish Examiner - October 27th, 2020
- 133 Inspiring Cute and Small Tattoos Ideas for Girls - October 22nd, 2020
- 30 Beautiful Tattoos for Girls 2020 - Meaningful Tattoo ... - October 22nd, 2020
- Jill Duggar's Tattoo Opinions Have Changed, but Does She Have One? - Distractify - October 22nd, 2020
- Sophie Turner wears vote hoodie on stroll with Joe Jonas and baby girl - Metro.co.uk - October 22nd, 2020
- Jacqueline Jossa reveals her incredible singing voice in the car after admitting she wants to sing on stage - The Irish Sun - October 22nd, 2020
- Jacqueline Jossa reveals her incredible singing voice in the car after admitting she wants to sing on stage - The Sun - October 21st, 2020
- Vanessa Bryant reveals new tattoo dedicated to Kobe and their 4 girls (photo) - Rolling Out - October 16th, 2020
- Pomp it Up: On the wild side with Motley Crue - Pueblo Chieftain - October 16th, 2020
- Coronavirus is killing haunted houses, but we still have real horror stories to scare you - Detroit Free Press - October 16th, 2020
- Glimpse inside Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's Tattoos and the True Meaning behind Them - AmoMama - October 14th, 2020
- Mike Tyson Almost Got an Even Crazier Tattoo on His Face Thankfully He Didn't - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 14th, 2020
- Mike Tyson's Tribal Face Tattoo Got a Wild Reaction From a Woman in the Tribe - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 14th, 2020
- 10 Gilmore Girl Tattoo Ideas That Would Earn Lorelai and Rory's Stamp of Approval - POPSUGAR - October 10th, 2020
- 10 Gilmore Girl Tattoo Ideas That Would Earn Lorelai and Rory's Stamp of Approval - POPSUGAR Beauty Austrailia - October 9th, 2020
- Cancer survivor views tattoos as another recovery technique - Leader Publications - October 7th, 2020
- Revisiting Hellboy, the mixtape that captured Lil Peep's breakout energy - Dazed - October 7th, 2020
- 'Mr Snake': Meet the teacher who is France's most tattooed man - The Phnom Penh Post - October 6th, 2020
- Healing wheels: 63-year-old skates her way to cancer recovery - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - October 6th, 2020
- Benjamin Keough laid to rest next to his grandfather Elvis at Graceland - The Irish Sun - October 2nd, 2020