Everyone is freaking out, said Delilah Stephens, bluntly explaining the situation at her London secondary school, where the new lockdown rules have prompted more chaos than clarity.
Sports are cancelled, after-school activities have been suspended and lunchtime jam sessions in the music room are a distant memory. Stephens, 15, has her GCSE mocks in a month and there is a distinct possibility the results will determine her final grades if exams are disrupted again next summer. So many people are on the verge of giving up, she said, utterly despondent. We need so much more motivation to get through it.
Last month, the Department for Education collated health data and multiple studies to publish a comprehensive report charting the effect the pandemic has had on those aged between five and 24. It found that isolation from friends, learning from home and worrying about family members have been key triggers for poor mental health.
Cases of anxiety, depression andbehavioural and eating disorders have risen. Those with existing problems and who suffer digital poverty a lack of internet access, laptops and electronic devices have been especially affected by not being able to find treatment on or offline. The mental wellbeing of children and young people is of critical concern to clinicians and researchers, who fear the long-term impact will be as damaging as the more immediate Covid spike. So how are Britains young coping with a second lockdown?
Its not really lockdown, is it, if all the schools are open and the Tube is packed? said 13-year-old Carmen Stephens who, like her sister Delilah, has an hour-long commute to and from school. The rules dont make sense. It is crazy that were allowed to sit together with friends all day but not allowed to go near each other outside the school gates, she said.
The inconsistencies have incensed parents and campaigners. Ashley Levien, who runs KickOff@3, a not-for-profit organisation primarily working with disadvantaged young black people in London, is aghast at the ban on sport. Football is an energy release and a safe space for these young people, away from postcode violence and difficulties at home. A lot of them might have invisible disabilities, like dyslexia and ADHD, and its already been difficult to re-engage them since the first lockdown. Our young people are resilient, but theyre the ones who will feel this the most.
Alongside co-founder Michael Wallace, Levien coaches grassroots football teams and mentors teenagers. Both say the restrictions of the second lockdown will further alienate and damage young boys already struggling to cope. Young people find it difficult to control emotions and feelings, said Wallace. They dont have the experience we have as adults, and now they have nowhere to let off steam.
In the spring Carmen told the Observer that she was worried we would still in lockdown even at Christmas, while Delilah, especially, felt cheated: I feel really stressed by how much work I have to do. I hate online learning because I cant focus, and Im worried Im missing out on all these important years. I just want to be with my friends.
Six months on, little had changed.
Delilah had bleached her hair and dyed it about 10 different colours as a distraction, while Carmen was working on her mendhi (henna tattoo) skills. The sisters also felt sorry for their younger siblings Rafi, 14 months, and Lucia, five who are affected in different ways.
Rafi is at the age where he just wants to bite and kiss and play all the things you cant do and he has so much energy and curiosity about seeing other children, said their mother, Sonia. Lucias become even more of a home body: she just wants to stay at home. The lack of playdates and social normality for their younger ones worried both parents, who moved the family from inner London to Chingford last year, to give the children more space and freedom.
More than a dozen parents who spoke to the Observer confirmed similar anxieties around the social and physical development of their children. One, who wished to remain anonymous, felt it was a disgrace that outdoor sports had been stopped while childhood obesity is such a problem. They said: Yet again, were sacrificing our childrens health to protect the elderly. We need to let our kids live their lives freely. They should be the priority, not those who have already lived their lives.
Others were more sympathetic towards the vulnerable. Amie Jordan, an artist and mother to seven-year-old Jasper, felt strongly that sacrifices have to be made for the greater good.
If the government had done a better job, we wouldnt be in this position now, she said. I wouldnt be potentially facing another meltdown of epic proportions over Christmas with a miserable child desperate to see all the people hes barely seen for the best part of a year.
The Jordans live in a bungalow in Salford, surrounded by a cluster of cul-de-sacs connected by the school and a strong community of parents and schoolmates, but they have struggled to stay afloat. Amie has had much of her work cancelled throughout this year and has dug deep into her savings.
I do make a point of never letting him see if Im struggling. Ill go without to make sure he has food and clothes and whatever it is he needs, she said, but there were days where financial worries made her quieter and her son noticed. Inadvertently, the stress about the money is having an effect on him because hes worrying about me. Hes seven years old. This shouldnt even be a thought process. It isnt acceptable.
Jasper was a worrier before the pandemic, she said, but lockdown escalated his anxieties, and he has suffered intense periods of crying and panic attacks. Some days were just a write-off from the start, said Amie, 28, who tried desperately to keep her son happy and at ease. Some days he couldnt even tell me why he was crying. He just was, and couldnt explain why he felt so sad. Both hope things will be different now, while schools stay open.
Jaspers first question about the next month had been to ask if Just Eat would still deliver takeaways on Friday nights. His biggest concerns are food but, more seriously, socialising and contact with others. His friends are so close, but he cant get to them.
Read more here:
- Jill Duggar shows off her fresh haircut & teases big changes after reality star revealed she may get a... - The Sun - November 23rd, 2021
- 30 things to know about The Pyramid as the Memphis landmark turns 30 - Commercial Appeal - November 9th, 2021
- They created monsters: How New Zealands brutal welfare system produced criminals - The Guardian - October 29th, 2021
- Alone, starved and living with a brothers corpse. Why did no one save the Texas house of horror boys? - The Independent - October 29th, 2021
- Local Kan. elections getting taken over by bruising DC-style politics - Hays Post - October 29th, 2021
- Leaked Video Helped Lead to the Conviction of a Far Right "Proud Boy" - Truthout - October 17th, 2021
- For the Flyers Kevin Hayes, his big brother will never be gone - The Delaware County Daily Times - October 17th, 2021
- The Skys The Limit, On And Off The Court, And These Girls Have Got Next - CBS Chicago - October 17th, 2021
- 8 Best Places To Get A Tattoo for Both Men and Women - TheTealMango - October 5th, 2021
- Real Madrid 1-2 Sheriff: Sebastien Thill has tattoo of himself dreaming of the UCL - GIVEMESPORT - October 5th, 2021
- #BlackInkChi Recap: Ryan Confronts Former Friend After Sleeping With His Ex, Twitter Says Hes For The Streets - HipHopWired - October 5th, 2021
- Review: At the Hella Mega Tour it was all about the cult of Green Day - pacificsandiego.com - September 1st, 2021
- Matt Willis is removing his tattoos in a bid to bag top movie roles... - The Sun - August 20th, 2021
- Lauren Phillips Reveals The Matching 'Bad Tattoo' She Has With A Scottish Boy - KIIS1011 - August 20th, 2021
- R Kelly trial hears singer is a 'predator' who lured girls, boys and young women with his fame - ABC News - August 20th, 2021
- Why Jonah Hills body love tattoo is so important for the male body positive movement - Yahoo Life - August 6th, 2021
- What's New to Stream on Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+ and More in July 2021 - TV Guide - July 22nd, 2021
- Love Island: What tattoos does Danny Bibby have and what do they mean? - Metro.co.uk - July 22nd, 2021
- Capitol riot suspect arrested after giant tattoo revealed on video - The Independent - June 9th, 2021
- The Sacred Male Body Modification Practices That Still Exist Today - InsideHook - May 16th, 2021
- `We were never terrorists`: Proud Boys Canada officially dissolved` - WION - May 4th, 2021
- Farmer Boys celebrating 40th anniversary with free burger tattoo - KTNV Las Vegas - April 19th, 2021
- Here are the nine men from Hudson Valley charged with participating in Jan. 6 Capitol riot - Times Herald-Record - April 19th, 2021
- Crowdfunding Hate in the Name of Christ - The Nation - April 4th, 2021
- Guest Opinion | Reflections on the course Women Unknown: Fight for Independence - UI The Daily Iowan - April 4th, 2021
- Part 3: How a Trini played a role in the life of Nipsey Hussle - Loop News Trinidad and Tobago - April 4th, 2021
- We want to keep him alive Family, friends remember San Antonios Tito Bradshaw two years later - San Antonio Express-News - April 4th, 2021
- Quick on the draw: Castagna the chaotic Tiger with a tattoo gun - The Age - April 4th, 2021
- Love Island Australias Phoebe Thompson reveals WAP lip tattoo as she celebrates birthday - The Irish Sun - March 8th, 2021
- Brave, Powerful, Complicated: The Most Formidable Heroines In Film - British Vogue - March 8th, 2021
- Jaden Hill is LSU's ace pitcher who has a bigger calling in life: 'I'm chosen to help people' - The Advocate - February 19th, 2021
- Gangland: a book about meth and the people whose lives it touches - The Spinoff - February 17th, 2021
- SA tattoo artist to the stars on taking his skill abroad - News24 - February 14th, 2021
- Memories of dad help make University of Houston's Justin Gorham a rebounding machine - Houston Chronicle - February 11th, 2021
- Tauranga's strongest head to the Highlands - The Bay's News First - SunLive - February 6th, 2021
- Nick Carter of Backstreet Boys Got His Paris Hilton Tattoo Just 3 Week Before They Broke up - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 30th, 2021
- 2 Green Country Women Share Stories Through Tattoo Ink; Competing In National Contest - News On 6 - January 30th, 2021
- Gangs? Cliques? Subgroups? Call Them What You Will There've Been 18 (Yes, 18) In The LA Sheriff's Department - LAist - January 22nd, 2021
- Trump's useful thugs: how the Republican party offered a home to the Proud Boys - The Guardian - January 22nd, 2021
- Proud Boys among groups being watched as inauguration approaches. Do they have Northeast Ohio ties? - Akron Beacon Journal - January 20th, 2021
- Who are Proud Boys? The Western chauvinist far-right group explained and what Donald Trump has previously said about them - The Scotsman - January 15th, 2021
- Theyve been hidden too long: Report details Los Angeles Sheriffs deputy gangs and violence toward communities of color - East Bay Times - January 15th, 2021
- Hawaii Proud Boy Charged By DOJ After Raiding US Capitol - Honolulu Civil Beat - January 9th, 2021
- Swimming With My Shirt Off - The New York Times - January 9th, 2021
- How the Internet Reflected on and Coped With the Capitol Attack - Hyperallergic - January 9th, 2021
- The Weekly-ish Mailbag is mailing it in this week. - Off Tackle Empire - December 31st, 2020
- Four months before her wedding, Mary knew it was over - Sydney Morning Herald - December 19th, 2020
- Family, determination and a dream: The Real Woods story - The Stanford Daily - December 16th, 2020
- Skating solo gives me time to study everyone else on the rink - The Globe and Mail - December 16th, 2020
- LOCAL NEWS BRIEFS: Price is Right Live show rescheduled - Goshen News - December 16th, 2020
- Controversial Mom Made One Of Her Twin Toddlers Get A Tattoo For Very Important Reason - BabyGaga - December 11th, 2020
- Mum of twins tattoos one so she can tell them apart leaving mother-in-law fuming - Daily Star - December 11th, 2020
- Farmingtons mayor of 12 years memorializes his experience in tattoo - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - December 8th, 2020
- Im A Celebrity superfan gets tattoo of Ant and Dec at Gwrych Castle inked onto his thigh - The Sun - December 1st, 2020
- MacAdam: Fascination with Mike Tyson began in Albany - The Daily Gazette - November 27th, 2020
- 'Home town boys' return to Philippi Main Street - The Inter-Mountain - November 20th, 2020
- The Post-Election Proud Boys Meltdown Is Here, and It's Ugly - The Daily Beast - November 12th, 2020
- 240+ Inspirational & Meaningful One Word Tattoos (2020 ... - November 6th, 2020
- 75+ Best Small Tattoos For Men (2020) - Simple Cool ... - November 6th, 2020
- Tickets for sale in Snohomish County and around the region - The Daily Herald - November 5th, 2020
- Seances, tattoos and the unbreakable bond between Mikaela Mayer and Al Mitchell - ESPN - October 30th, 2020
- Students rediscover their childhood fandoms on TikTok - Daily Northwestern - October 29th, 2020
- Chase Winovich talks playing time, conspiracy theories with Zolak & Bertrand - 98.5 The Sports Hub - October 22nd, 2020
- The Cycle of Punitive Justice Starts in Schools. Eric Butler Is Showing Kids and Teachers How to Break It. - Mother Jones - October 21st, 2020
- The Proud Boys? - SOFREP - October 16th, 2020
- Theatre Alliance to perform outdoor production of Devil Boys from Beyond - Yes! Weekly - October 16th, 2020
- Freshers' Flu - Why My Mum Invented COVID - Cherwell Online - October 10th, 2020
- Who Are the Proud Boys Trump Told To 'Stand Back and Stand By'? - Snopes.com - October 8th, 2020
- Dan Osbornes tattoo shows hes protective of Jacqueline Jossa & the meaning behind Brooklyn Beckhams spoo - The Sun - October 7th, 2020
- When the Proud Boys came to town - The Economist - October 7th, 2020
- The ten essential facts you need to know about BTS's Suga - Film Daily - October 6th, 2020
- 30 Best Neck Tattoos for Boys and Girls - The Best Tattoo ... - September 30th, 2020
- Best 100+ Tattoo Designs For Men and Boys - Youme And Trends - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys, the extremist group Trump named in the debate - Insider - INSIDER - September 30th, 2020
- Fred Perry Will Denounce Proud Boys, But The President Won't - Highsnobiety - September 30th, 2020
- Hooligans With Heart: Phoenix Risings Red Fury fan club reaches out to refugees - Cronkite News - September 30th, 2020
- Whats New on Netflix UK & Top 10s: September 30th, 2020 - What's on Netflix - September 30th, 2020
- From the Fields: Soaking it up now | agrinews-pubs.com - Agri News - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys and why did Trump tell them to stand by? - The Irish Sun - September 30th, 2020
- The Giant Proud Boy Rally That Wasn't - VICE - September 28th, 2020