Dgania Alfassi, 20, and Kineret Goldstein, 22; live in Karnei Shomron, arriving from Belgrade
Hi, what were you doing in Belgrade?
Kineret: We looked for a green country that doesnt require a coronavirus test and where you can fly without having to quarantine on return. Im a telephone receptionist for a security company. There are only six of us on the phones, so its a problem for me to go into quarantine.
What do you do, Dgania?
Im not working at the moment, because of the coronavirus. I was in the middle of a course on eyebrow makeup Im more into cosmetics, its relaxing and I like the precision.
How was it for you both in Belgrade?
Kineret: The trip was 50-50, half nice things. I like to see landscapes, but it was less good from the viewpoint of people and shopping. Its not a destination Ill return to.
Why not, actually?
Kineret: The Serbs are not nice at all. We are, lets say, fat, full-figured call it what you want and they have no awareness at all of fat people. Were like UFOs there. They give you looks, give you an unpleasant feeling. When it comes to shopping, they have a very specific model: thin and very well built. There are no clothes there for fat people. I found one store and it was all clothes for old people, really. It was a real bummer.
Do you find clothes more easily in Israel?
We've got more newsletters we think you'll find interesting.
Please try again later.
The email address you have provided is already registered.
Kineret: Here, too, in most of the stores, theres no awareness of it at all. Its frustrating to enter a store, to try on things and it doesnt work. And theres no getting around the fact that there are a lot of fat people.
Kineret: Yes, we went into a store on Sunday and the salesgirls just looked at us and started to giggle.
Dgania: Like it doesnt exist in their community.
Kineret: It was just a revolting feeling. No fun at all. They just stared at us.
How did you cope with it?
Dgania: I stared back at them. Like, Whats the problem here?
Kineret: A girlfriend who was traveling with us told us simply to look right back at them. The way they stare, just stare at them. I am not ashamed of who I am, this is the person I am and Ive been like this since childhood. It used to be that if people looked at me like that, I would be very hurt. But today I know it doesnt mean that Im any less good.
How was it for you in childhood?
Kineret: Im young, but I remember that it used to be very difficult for others to accept that there are fat people; people thought a fat woman was a curse, and there was laughing and humiliation. Today theres more awareness, but even if youre a model or the most beautiful person, they never stop with the shaming or mean comments.
What does your tattoo say?
Kineret: Dont dream your life, live your dream. Thats a thought that stays with me, it was in my head and at that moment I said I need to have it tattooed, so I went and had it done.
Is it common to have tattoos in Karnei Shomron [in the West Bank]?
Kineret: Its very much divided there. There are religious people, also secular, its mixed. There are even non-Jews. Our family is religious and my husband is also religious, but Im not. I left religion, I dont observe Shabbat, but I do keep kosher and Im very much a believer.
Have you been this way a long time?
Kineret: Its off and on. At the age of 16, when we came to the settlement, most of our [age] group was secular, and as secular folks, you start to smoke and so on. And then I went back to it, I observed Shabbat for two years and then I left it again. I havent been into it for two-and-a-half years already, but I very much believe and there are things I am very strict about. But Shabbat is hard for me, because I work then too. I also watch television and movies.
When did you get married?
Kineret: Weve been together four years and we were married eight months ago. It took a long time, but Im still a girl. Theres a difference between marrying at 18 and at 22, and I recommend not getting married after two seconds. In childhood we experienced things with our parents, we want to get to know the person, see who he is. I lived with him and we saw that it worked out.
You seem to be very close to each other, like your names are, geographically. [Kinneret and Degania are both names of communities on the shores of Lake Kinneret.]
Kineret: Our parents gave us those names because they really love the north. We are true friends. It wasnt always like that, but in the past few years, absolutely.
Dgania: There used to be a lot of quarrels, but when you mature you realize that you only have one sister.
Alexandra Shalem, 22; lives in Tel Aviv, flying to Milan
Hi, why are you traveling to Milan?
My mother lives there, I havent seen her for a year. I lived there from the age of 13 to 19. But up to 13 I was here, so Im totally an Israeli.
Why did you move to Milan?
My mother is Italian. My parents divorced and my sisters lived abroad, so Mom said there was nothing for us to do here and she took me with her.
What was it like moving to a different country at the age of 13?
I had a hard time until about 17. I learned the language in a second, school was great, there were just a lot of pressures. My mother and I fought all the time. She didnt react the way she should have when I was in my adolescence, she shut me in. And thats also why I am here in Israel, because I am like a free bird. I need to be alone, far from people telling me what to do.
What kind of teenager were you?
Disturbed. I did things a 13-year-old girl isnt even supposed to know about, like cigarettes, drugs, alcohol. I think that if Id grown up in Israel, adolescence would have been different. I would have gone out drinking with friends in a healthy way, and I would have learned different things. There, it was self-destruction. It was being alone.
So you finished school and came back to Israel?
Yes. I told my mother straight off that I was leaving, that there was nothing for me there. So I came back here at 19 and now Ive completed a degree in psychology.
Why did you choose psychology?
Because of all the difficulties I went through. I felt misunderstood most of the time, that there was no one to talk to. My mother sent me to psychologists, but I wouldnt talk to them. I had a girlfriend whom I met in a camp for at-risk youth, who died of a heroin overdose. It was awful, and thats when I realized that I wanted to study psychology and help other people like her, like me. And then I did it it wasnt something Id planned all my life.
How did you get to that camp?
Through a teacher who saw that I needed something like that. It was called an extreme camp, it was in Minnesota, and all the activities were extreme, such as horse riding and climbing walls. There were very few girls there. You would go there if there was a reason you needed to be there. Lets say, girls in rehab go there. It was a wild experience. At first, all I wanted was to escape from the camp, because they give you a counselor whos with you all the time and you cant go anywhere alone, not even to the bathroom. Because theyre worried about you. At first I hated it, and I only wanted to escape. And then they told me, If you go to one more place by yourself, or try to escape, well have to fly you back. So I said I would stay and I hooked up with that girl who later died. It was a kind of craziness. I felt that I could help her and speak to her or do something, and I didnt know what to do, and then she died.
And now you have the tools to help?
I believe so. Even to help myself it all starts with you. I think that every person who engages in psychology does it because something in him was also once broken. And he sees that in other people.
Did it change your attitude toward your mother?
Yes. It took a lot of time, but I am succeeding in understanding her better, which also makes us argue less. I believe she is terribly anxious and a worrier. Its not her fault that I was a little disturbed in adolescence and that she reacted the way she did.
How did you fare in the coronavirus pandemic here?
It very much affected me. I grew up, matured, thanks to it. I lived with my boyfriend in the first lockdown and it was horrible terrible, terrible, terrible. Thanks to that, I realized that we didnt get along and shouldnt be together. And then we broke up and I lived alone for a few months. It was hard for me, but I came out of the crisis a thousand times stronger.
Why was it so hard to live with him?
There was a problem of communication. I felt I was going crazy, that I was talking to someone who didnt understand me. I cried all day. And then the penny dropped: Its better to cry because Im alone, than to suffer with someone.
Whats it like living alone?
I live with roommates and its amazing. Im independent, Im doing things I never thought I would do fixing electrical problems and air conditioners. Its terrific to be alone.
- Tinkerbell with tattoos, inked Incredibles; Disney to allow visible tattoos on cast members - WKRG News 5 - April 19th, 2021
- The Ron Swanson Mistake You Never Noticed In Parks And Recreation - Looper - April 4th, 2021
- Ireland Baldwin Reveals Creative Use For David Bowie Tattoo - The Inquisitr News - April 4th, 2021
- Watch Travis Barkers Daughter Alabama Cover Up His Face Tattoos With Makeup - menshealth.com - April 4th, 2021
- Is There KVD Beauty Without Kat Von D? - The Business of Fashion - March 8th, 2021
- What Is Microshading? Heres What To Know About the No-Maintenance, Feathery Brows Everyones Talking About - Well+Good - March 8th, 2021
- Jennifer Aniston finally reveals the meaning behind her '11 11' wrist tattoo - Cosmopolitan UK - March 8th, 2021
- Popular new makeup products to try in 2021 - Belfast Live - February 19th, 2021
- Woman Reacts To Seeing Boyfriend For First Time Without Tattoo-Covered Face - BroBible - February 19th, 2021
- Test Pattern Director Shatara Michelle Ford on Making Their First Film and Being Emotionally Truthful - TheStranger.com - February 19th, 2021
- Here's Why Jeffree Star's 'Delicious' Neck Tattoo Is One Of His Favorites - TheThings - February 17th, 2021
- Blue Light Body Arts to open on the bricks in spring - Hays Daily News - February 17th, 2021
- Exploring the ever-diminishing returns of the Crow franchise - The Spool - February 14th, 2021
- 'Justice League': Check out Jared Leto's freaky Joker in the trailer for Zack Snyder's new HBO Max cut - USA TODAY - February 14th, 2021
- JUSTICE LEAGUE Director Zack Snyder Addresses Absence Of The Joker's SUICIDE SQUAD Tattoos In The Snyder Cut - CBM (Comic Book Movie) - February 11th, 2021
- Zack Snyder explains why Joker's tattoos were removed in Justice League - Explica - February 11th, 2021
- How TikTok communists are reclaiming the hammer and sickle - i-D - February 11th, 2021
- Why Leto's Joker Doesn't Have His "Damaged" Tattoo In Justice League - Screen Rant - February 10th, 2021
- Site of the day: Want a tattoo? You have to download this app - Explica - February 10th, 2021
- Salma Hayek Shows off Chest Tattoos for New Movie 'Bliss' - PopCulture.com - February 7th, 2021
- The rise of beauty enhancements and Maya Darwiche - Sunrise News - February 7th, 2021
- The eyes have it: Above-the-mask makeup sees pandemic surge - CBC.ca - February 7th, 2021
- BB14 promo: Salman Khan schools Abhinav for his choice of words; asks if he's 'going in the right direction' - Times Now - February 7th, 2021
- Tattoo Stamp - MILK MAKEUP | Sephora - February 6th, 2021
- Eye Studio Color Tattoo 24HR Cream Gel Eyeshadow - Maybelline - February 6th, 2021
- Salma Hayek flaunts new large tattoo and fans freak out - HOLA USA - February 6th, 2021
- Gigi Hadid Now Has A Tattoo Tribute To Baby Girl And It Matches Zayn Maliks - Capital - February 4th, 2021
- Bobrisky lavishes N596k while shopping for lady that tattooed him on her back - Legit.ng - February 4th, 2021
- Make-up artist Mei Pang is turning the internet into her beauty playground - Dazed - February 4th, 2021
- Nick Carter of Backstreet Boys Covered Up His Paris Hilton Tattoo With a Skull and Crossbones - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 4th, 2021
- Two Singaporean women pioneering in the rise of hand-poked tattoos - News24 - February 4th, 2021
- Britney Spears Fans Concerned About Singers Well-Being After Her Latest Video Upload - The Inquisitr - February 4th, 2021
- Priyanka Chopra is a sight to behold as the bold and beautiful cover star of Elle UK - Bollywood Hungama - February 4th, 2021
- Promised Neverland: 10 Great Emma Cosplay You Have To See | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 4th, 2021
- The Multiple Personalities of Johnny Depp: The Smearing of Makeup and a Beloved Actors Career - Mandatory - February 2nd, 2021
- Hunter Schafer on the Reverb of Euphorias Makeup and Her Road-Trip Beauty Essentials - Vanity Fair - January 24th, 2021
- BTS' Jungkook reveals tattoos on show and fans are excited to get a close-up view - CNA - January 24th, 2021
- Forget microblading... These eyebrow tattoo stickers are the in-thing - Jacaranda FM - January 24th, 2021
- Jurassic World: Age, Height, & 8 Other Things You Didn't Know About Jeff Goldblum - Screen Rant - January 24th, 2021
- Foundation getting in the way of your natural freckles? Here's how you can make them pop again - News24 - January 20th, 2021
- Forget Shoes, It's About the Lipstick: Hollywood Stylists Share Lessons Learned From Working in a Pandemic - Hollywood Reporter - January 15th, 2021
- This designer is giving the ancient art of henna a modern makeover - CNN - January 15th, 2021
- Apex Legends: 10 Loba Cosplays That Prove She Is The Best Character - TheGamer - January 15th, 2021
- New fashion trend went viral, women tattooing tattoos to hide dark circles and stretch mark - Primetime - January 12th, 2021
- Makeup trends 2021 | Beauty - MAG THE WEEKLY - Mag The Weekly Magazine - January 12th, 2021
- Assassins Creed Valhalla: 10 Female Eivor Cosplays That Are Battle-Ready - TheGamer - January 12th, 2021
- Justin Bieber Covered Up All His Tattoos for the Anyone Music Video and the Video Is Mesmerizing to Watch - Us Weekly - January 9th, 2021
- Fans Think Cardi B Deserves A Superhero Name | TheThings - TheThings - January 9th, 2021
- Priyanka Chopra In Trouble With UK Cops After Breaking Lockdown Rules - Talent Recap - January 9th, 2021
- Nikita Dragun Masters The Underboob Look In Metallic Bandeau Top With Matching Thigh-High Slit Skirt - The Inquisitr News - January 3rd, 2021
- Justin Bieber Shared a Video of Himself Getting His Tattoos Covered Up for His New "Anyone" Music Video Watch - Allure - January 3rd, 2021
- Prateik Babbar experiments with his hair colour again, goes from red to blue - Republic World - December 28th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077: 5 Things That Make No Sense About V (& 5 Fan Theories That Really Do) - TheGamer - December 28th, 2020
- Fashion trends that originated from other cultures - Los Angeles Times - December 28th, 2020
- 89 Best Truth or Dare Questions and Dares - Teen Vogue - December 28th, 2020
- Louisa Johnson Showcases Chest Tattoo In Low-Cut White Top For A Series Of Close-Up Snaps - The Inquisitr - December 23rd, 2020
- Get the Look: a gold mine of information about gilded makeup looks - Irish Examiner - December 21st, 2020
- Replicating Success In The ECommerce World: A Case Study With James Khuri - Forbes - December 21st, 2020
- Pete Davidson is reportedly in the process of removing all of his tattoos - 21-Dec-2020 - NZ Entertainment news - NZCity - December 21st, 2020
- TRIED & TESTED: "I got my eyebrows tattooed with a freehand blade. Here's how it went." - Mamamia - December 18th, 2020
- Permanent Makeup Information: Eyeliner, Lipstick, and More - December 18th, 2020
- People Have a Lot of Feelings About Pete Davidson Removing All of His Tattoos - POPSUGAR - December 17th, 2020
- Are Hair and Beauty Salons Allowed to Be Open in Tier 3? - POPSUGAR United Kingdom - December 17th, 2020
- Docs with Tattoos: More Relatable to Patients? - MedPage Today - December 14th, 2020
- Keep Your Eye On These Young Designers From Around the World - W Magazine - December 3rd, 2020
- Carmen Electra, 48, Nearly Bursts Out Of Plunging Corset While Caressing Her Chest - The Inquisitr - November 26th, 2020
- 7 of the best and 6 of the worst beauty trends of the year, so far - INSIDER - November 25th, 2020
- Guns N Roses Stars Daughter Draws All Eyes To Her Backside As She Strikes A Sultry Pose With ... - Metalhead Zone - November 25th, 2020
- Gen-Z is finding alternatives to traditional mental health resources through social media - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 21st, 2020
- KVD Vegan Beauty Debuts Holiday 2020 with First-Ever Fully-Recycled Eyeshadow Palette, Dazzling Shadows Sticks, Vegan Lashes and a Plethora of... - November 20th, 2020
- Astanza Wins Top Aesthetic Company, Best Laser Service and Training, and Best Laser Company to Work For in the Aesthetic Everything 2020 Aesthetic and... - November 20th, 2020
- Valeria Micropigmentation Is One of The Most Trusted Solution for Permanent Makeup - Press Release - Digital Journal - November 18th, 2020
- Revealed: The Get The Gloss Beauty and Wellness Awards 2020 winners - Get The Gloss - November 18th, 2020
- Queen Icon Roger Taylors Daughter Tiger Lily Looks Sexy In Red, Shows A Secret Tattoo And Explains ... - Metalhead Zone - November 18th, 2020
- New Zealand has just elected one of the most diverse parliaments in the world. Here's how it stacks up - KESQ - November 18th, 2020
- Cardi B Puts Her Colorful Leg Tattoo on Display in a Red Reebok Outfit from Her New Collection - AmoMama - November 16th, 2020
- Lee Sang Yeob Hilariously Pretends To Be Bentley From The Future On The Return Of Superman - soompi - November 16th, 2020
- Tejaswini Pandit Flaunts A Rare Barcode Tattoo, Fans Wonder What Scanning It Will Lead To? - Zee Kannada - November 12th, 2020
- Chris Evans Has 9 Hidden Tattoos Here's What They Mean - POPSUGAR - November 11th, 2020
- Assassins Creed Valhalla Will Feature Photo Mode at Launch. Know All The Updates Right Here ! - Stanford Arts Review - November 9th, 2020