How does the saying go when your mom finds out you want a tattoo and she is trying to convince you otherwise? Youll regret it cause tattoos are permanent and youll be stuck with it forever. Okay, thats not quite the saying, but Im sure youve heard a version of that in one way or another. As if we dont already know they are permanent, and as if that wasnt the point in the first place.
But, here we are and youve actually decided that youd like to remove your tattoo(s)? (Dont tell mom) The good news is, mom was wrong. Removing a tattoo is now possible with advanced technology in laser tattoo removal
This may sound like a foreign concept to some, and yes, its similar to a lot of laser cosmetics nowadays but maybe theres still some lingering questions.
Below weve answered some of the most common and frequently asked questions about laser tattoo removal.
To break down what a tattoo really is its thousands of particles of pigment or ink that is injected into the dermis and stay suspended in the skin. Normally our cell regeneration would remove these foreign particles and replace it with new cells. However, the tattoo pigment particles are too large for the skin to remove them.
During laser tattoo removal, your technician will use a high powered pulsed beam of light delivered at specific wavelengths. This beam of light passes through the dermis and breaks up the tattoo ink particles into smaller particles. Gradually the particles are eliminated through the bodys lymphatic system and fades over time.
Because the laser does break through the skin, it typically does involve some level of pain. However, many patients have said that it hurts less than expected. A common comparison is that laser tattoo removal is similar to having the tattoo applied. Also described as the feeling when a rubber band snaps against the skin or oil shooting out of a pan.
It is important to note that the patient may experience discomfort but it is very manageable. The majority of technicians may offer some form of comfort to soothe the skin during the treatment.
Also very popular is a skin numbing agent, ice packs, lidocaine injections, or the most popular Zimmer Cryo 6 which is a chilling machine that blows cold air before, during and after treatments.
Its important to note that tattoo removal takes time. Its a process. Not entirely unusual to take as long as a year to fully remove a tattoo.
The process needs time to heal in between treatments and the bodys immune system to flush away the pigment in the skin. Its safe to say that the minimum time in between sessions is six weeks for lighter skin and eight for darker complexions. Trying to remove the tattoo too often and too quickly doesnt leave the body enough time to remove the ink and heal.
A tattoo removal practitioner will not be able to give you a precise amount of time or treatments it will take for the tattoo to be fully removed. There are many factors to take into account like, colors of the tattoo, the size of the tattoo, healing time and the patients skin complexion.
In terms of average time, most patients will need between five and eight treatments, some seeing complete removal in three or four. Some patients may need ten or more treatments to see a full removal. Especially taking into account significant scarring or layered tattoos.
Your practitioner may use the Kirby-Desai Scale as a tool to analyze the number of treatments a tattoo will need. This scale considers factors like:
The Kirby-Desai Scale was recognized in 2009 and has improved since to continue to be an excellent tool for assessing patients laser tattoo removal process.
Yes, laser tattoo removal is completely safe. When its performed by an expert or certified experienced laser technician, it is safe. However, there are always potential risks involved.
Your practitioner will have to assess your current health condition and complete medical history for any potential risk of complications you may have during or after the treatment.
Depending on the characteristics of your tattoo: size, age, pigment color, depth, design, and location, will be the determining factor for the length of time a treatment may be. However, generally speaking, a laser tattoo-removal session will last no longer than 30 minutes.
After the initial treatment, having an idea of how long each session may be and your tolerance, will be a lot clearer.
Understandably, removing a tattoo normally comes with the desire to have the skin look as natural as possible after removal. So what about scarring? When the correct protocols are in place for laser tattoo removal, scarring is actually very uncommon. However, a pre-existing scar may be left from when the tattoo was originally applied. The ink will be removed from the location but any scarring from the original tattoo will still remain.
Considering this is a clinical procedure, there are always risks for side effects. However, some of the side effects are a necessary part of the immune response to help eliminate the ink from the skin.
All tattoo removal practitioners should explain in detail the various side effects you may experience in your first session. This way you are informed and arent shocked when your skin reacts to the procedure.
The most common side effects may be:
For most of these side effects, theyre normally temporary. The only side effects that have a potential to be permanent are scarring and pigmentation changes. However, all side effects are completely avoidable if the proper protocols are taken in aftercare.
Your practitioner should provide you with a take home sheet of aftercare instructions. It is encouraged to discuss all complications and risks with your practitioner during the consultation. It should be familiar to all patients because it is similar to when the tattoo was applied.
Its common that if a patient is informed or has a general idea of what laser tattoo removal generally does, theyre more likely to continue with treatment until completion. Understanding what it entails and how to handle their aftercare properly becomes a satisfied tattoo removal experience.
Contact a knowledgeable practitioner, have realistic expectations, and hopefully find the end result youre looking for.
If youre looking to remove unwanted or unsightly tattoos contact Balshi Dermatology, a board-certified dermatologist in Delray Beach, who can help remove tattoos with laser technology. Call us at (561) 272-6000 or send us a message on our Contact Page to set up your appointment.
- Regretting a tattoo? These are your options when it comes to getting rid of it - Fashion Journal - February 19th, 2021
- My Experience Lightening and ... - Tattoos & Piercings - February 14th, 2021
- 'Britain's most tattooed woman' shows what she looks like with ink covered up - Daily Star - February 6th, 2021
- Tattoo Removal Market Trends, Comprehensive Research Study, Development Status, Opportunities, Future Demand, Competitive Landscape and Growth by... - January 22nd, 2021
- Free tattoo removal event helps give people a clean break with past - Stockton Record - January 20th, 2021
- WJFW Newswatch 12 - News From Where You Live - Rhinelander Wisconsin WJFW TV-12 - WJFW-TV - January 20th, 2021
- Kat Von D tattoo cover- up revealed: Tattoo artist shows off new ink! - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - December 18th, 2020
- Ribbon Cutting in Boca Raton: LifeGaines Medical and Aesthetics Center Will Receive the Lumenis Excellence Award at Their Ribbon Cutting Event Today... - December 17th, 2020
- Laser Tattoo Removal Procedure, Benefits, and Risks - December 12th, 2020
- How Does Laser Tattoo Removal Work? 7 Facts You Need to Know - December 12th, 2020
- Tattoo Removal | American Society of Plastic Surgeons - December 12th, 2020
- The Best Tattoo Removalists in Canberra - The RiotACT - December 6th, 2020
- Laser tattoo removal offers hope for future - December 5th, 2020
- Laser tattoo removal offers hope for future | fox43.com - December 5th, 2020
- 7 Stars Who Had to Remove Tattoos of Their Exes, From Johnny Depp to Pete Davidson (Photos) - msnNOW - December 2nd, 2020
- The Best Laser Tattoo Removalists in Canberra - The RiotACT - November 30th, 2020
- How Much Does Tattoo Removal Cost? [2020 Price Guide] - November 12th, 2020
- The MedSpa on 5th Removes Unwanted Tattoos and Skin Blemishes with the Astanza Duality in Mount Dora, Florida - PRNewswire - November 9th, 2020
- E-dermis Magnetic Tattoo Removal An Alternative Way of Tattoo Elimination - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - November 3rd, 2020
- Understanding Laser Tattoo Removal | University of Utah Health - October 29th, 2020
- Tattoo Removal: How Much Lasering a Tattoo Costs and Hurts ... - October 29th, 2020
- Panacea Tattoo Removal Offers a Second Chance with Laser Tattoo Removal Featuring the Astanza Duality in Grand Junction, CO - PRNewswire - October 27th, 2020
- Laser Tattoo Removal: From Prep to Aftercare, Heres What to Expect - HYPEBAE - October 27th, 2020
- What To Expect When You Get a Tattoo - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - October 2nd, 2020
- 9 Tips for Tattoo Removal Health Essentials from ... - September 28th, 2020
- Tattoo Removal Lasers: Types & Differences - September 28th, 2020
- What You Need to Know Before Tattoo Removal - - RushPRnews.com - September 26th, 2020
- These innovative regimes and therapies are worth booking well in advance - Connecticut Magazine - September 22nd, 2020
- Chinese Taxi Drivers Ordered To Remove Tattoos - INKED - September 22nd, 2020
- Tattoo Removal: How to, Costs, Before and After Pictures ... - September 9th, 2020
- Tattoo removal - Mayo Clinic - September 9th, 2020
- Laser Tattoo Removal - Swinyer-Woseth Dermatology - September 9th, 2020
- 6 Things Everyone Gets Wrong About Laser Tattoo Removal | SELF - September 9th, 2020
- How to Remove Your Unwanted Tattoo Permanently and Safely - Chiang Rai Times - August 25th, 2020
- 10 Things No One Tells You About Tattoo Removal | Glamour - August 22nd, 2020
- How To Remove A Permanent Tattoo: DIY Methods and Surgical ... - August 22nd, 2020
- Laser surgery - Wikipedia - August 22nd, 2020
- 'Erase The Mistake' effort addresses unwanted tattoos - Huntington Herald Dispatch - August 18th, 2020
- Removery's INK-nitiative Will Remove Racist and Hate Tattoos For Free - Tyler Morning Telegraph - August 12th, 2020
- Interest In Tattoo Removal High As Removery Safely Opens Its Doors - PRNewswire - July 15th, 2020
- How to Remove a Tattoo without Laser at Home - September 13th, 2019
- Tattoo removal - Wikipedia - September 13th, 2019