Tattoos have a controversial reputation and are seen as inappropriate in the workplace largely because they have been associated with criminal activity. However, as more tattooed people enter the workforce, many employers dont think tattoos are as important. This begs the question how exactly do words or images on a persons skin dictate whether or not that person is worthy of being called professional?
Due to the growing popularity of tattoos, businesses struggle to figure out how to incorporate them into their dress code due to the endless scenarios that exist about them. People tend to look at tattoos in the workplace through a right-or-wrong lens, when in reality there is no concrete answer as to what defines appropriate tattoos for employers.
It is a common trend that employers tend to not favor people with tattoos because they do not want to risk having a negative image, but this has proven to be costly. The U.S. military was forced to change its policy prohibiting visible tattoos as they were becoming too mainstream and thereby hurting recruitment numbers.
Similar to the military, employers commonly claim the location of a tattoo is the biggest factor in determining if they are appropriate for the workplace but these locations are never clearly specified. So who exactly is supposed to let you know whether or not your small wrist tattoo is too inappropriate for the job?
Since working from home allows people to dress more casually while on the job, this raises the question as to whether or not exposed tattoos still matter as much.
Tattoos allow a person to express themselves through permanent art on their bodies. It is hard to determine what is so bad about tattoos that makes them inappropriate in a workplace with the exception of hate symbols, they are not harming anyone. If the size, shape, style and exact location of your tattoo can make or break your job prospects, then there is no formulaic way of knowing whether or not your tattoo is allowed in the office.
This concept includes covering up your tattoo for a job interview it tends to be the widely known way to feel as though youll better your chances of getting hired, but what difference will it make? Whos to say the meaningful tattoo you paid hundreds of dollars for holds the same value as the unidentifiable image your co-worker got tattooed on their arm after partying?
This also begs the question who actually cares about whether or not you have a tattoo? According to recent studies, 63% of people age 60 and older find tattoos inappropriate in a workplace while only 22% of people ages 18-25 think they are inappropriate. In addition, around 70% of children do not mind if their caregivers or pediatricians have them. Those children are more decisive about their beliefs than the executives promoting unspecified tattoo policies at their companies.
If employees without tattoos are truly better for business when handling clients, this raises the question as to whether or not the company is hiring less productive workers for the sake of their image. If a business fears that their public reputation will be harmed so significantly by having employees with tattoos, things dont add up. The statistics prove this false. No matter the age range, there are always people for or against tattoos there is no perfect solution to this.
In the coronavirus pandemic, the dispute between whether or not tattoos are now acceptable in the workplace is further complicated.
Since working from home allows people to dress more casually while on the job, this raises the question as to whether or not exposed tattoos still matter as much. Employers cant enforce dress codes as much as they once could, thereby normalizing them in this new casual setting. After all, whats worse showing up to work with no pants or with a colorful upper-arm tattoo?
Tattoos allow a person to express themselves and have power over their body. They are a form of art on a persons body that is often limited by societal standards against them. In reality, there is a move toward social acceptance of tattoos, and they are not as big a deal as they once were. However, contradicting beliefs toward tattoos never give a clear indication that they are inappropriate in the workplace.
If tattoos make you happy, rest easy knowing tattoos are becoming more acceptable in the workplace. Its time to start getting answers as to whether or not tattoos are truly appropriate for your job.
- 14 of most beautiful castles to visit in Scotland - as seen in Outlander, Game of Thrones and James Bond - The Scotsman - November 23rd, 2021
- Grinning Prince Andrew picture kept as trophy by Jeffrey Epstein in paedo lair where he molested und... - The Sun - November 23rd, 2021
- Tattoo PNG Images | Tattoo Transparent PNG - Vippng - November 9th, 2021
- Hes Growing Up Sooo Fast: Tia Mowrys Then-and-Now Photos of Son Cree Have Fans Stunned By How Much Hes Grown - Yahoo News - November 9th, 2021
- The 175 Best Butterfly Tattoo Ideas (2020) | Tattoo Gorilla - November 9th, 2021
- Martin Margielas art rebirth: obsession, enigma and revelation - Wallpaper* - October 29th, 2021
- South Korea's tattoo taboo is being challenged by young people, a controversial politician and boy band BTS - ABC News - October 29th, 2021
- Travis Barker's Ex Responds After He Covered Her Name With Kourtney Kardashian Lips Tattoo - Newsweek - October 29th, 2021
- Corpse Husband got matching tattoos with Emma Langevin and the internet is loving it - Dexerto - October 17th, 2021
- The Rock Made a Short Film About the Meaning of His Bull Tattoo - menshealth.com - October 5th, 2021
- Does The Weeknd Have Tattoos? - Cosmopolitan - October 5th, 2021
- Lower-Back Tattoos Are Back - The Cut - October 5th, 2021
- Jake Paul calls out Tyron Woodleys tattoo loophole and wont commit to boxing rematch - Dexerto - October 5th, 2021
- 23 Best Halloween Tattoos Creepy and Traditional Tattoos - countryliving.com - August 20th, 2021
- Police release images of man wanted in attempted burglary - KGET 17 - August 6th, 2021
- Machine Gun Kelly Revealed That He Used To Have A Megan Fox Poster In His Teenage Bedroom - BuzzFeed - July 22nd, 2021
- Holocaust Tattoo Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty ... - July 8th, 2021
- 100+ Best Tattoo Designs and Symbols for Men & Women 2021 - July 8th, 2021
- 110 Best Compass Tattoo Designs, Ideas and Images - July 8th, 2021
- Henna Tattoo Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images - July 8th, 2021
- The Sachs Program announces winners of AAPI grants | Penn Today Fourteen projects will be funded as - Penn Today - July 8th, 2021
- Rihanna Covered Up The Matching Tattoo She Got With Drake - BuzzFeed - June 26th, 2021
- Jada Pinkett-Smith reveals matching tattoos with daughter Willow & mother Adrienne - Capital XTRA - May 28th, 2021
- Ohio Cold Case: Age-Progression Photo Released To Help Public - Patch.com - May 16th, 2021
- Age-Progression image released in Megan Lancaster case - Record Herald - May 16th, 2021
- 10 of the best talented Calgary tattoo artists to get inked by | Curated - Daily Hive - March 8th, 2021
- CURTIS HONEYCUTT: With friends like these ... | Features | albanyherald.com - The Albany Herald - February 17th, 2021
- Stephen Bear branded sick by fans for pretending girlfriend was pregnant with twins with scan ripped off Goo - The Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Local tattoo shops see increase in business as the COVID-19 pandemic continues - The Morning Sun - February 7th, 2021
- Nagaland Locals Shift House On Foot, Watch Video: Trending Topics, Viral Videos and Funny Memes of The Day - LatestLY - February 7th, 2021
- Justice League's Snyder Cut Is Fixing The Most Hated Part Of Leto's Joker - Screen Rant - February 4th, 2021
- Anderson: Sarasota fugitive still running, only now the chase is on to catch him - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - January 30th, 2021
- Married teacher found guilty of having sex with student in a field - Yahoo News Australia - January 30th, 2021
- 23 Fun Long Nail Designs to Copy in 2021 - The Trend Spotter - January 30th, 2021
- One Of The Proud Boys Who Stormed The Capitol Had Instructions For Making Guns And Bombs In His Home, FBI Says - BuzzFeed News - January 30th, 2021
- These Amazing Quilters Will Inspire You To Take Up A New Pandemic Hobby - HuffPost Canada - January 30th, 2021
- Tattoo industry striving to safely ink their way through pandemic - KXXV News Channel 25 - January 25th, 2021
- Former Xbox, SEGA, And EA Head Peter Moore Returns To Gaming - Screen Rant - January 22nd, 2021
- Feds: Man arrested near US Capitol had truckload of weapons - Daily Mountain Eagle - January 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share 6 of their favorite designs to ink, and 5 they don't really like - Yahoo News - January 12th, 2021
- US Capitol riot: the myths behind the tattoos worn by 'QAnon shaman' Jake Angeli - The Conversation UK - January 12th, 2021
- The Myths Behind the Tattoos Worn by 'QAnon Shaman' Jake Angeli - Snopes.com - January 12th, 2021
- Khanyi Mbaus racy tattoo has got the timeline buzzing - All4Women - January 12th, 2021
- Records: Alabama man on bond arrested after Capitol riot - Daily Mountain Eagle - January 12th, 2021
- How Memorial Tattoos Can Help With The Grieving Process - HuffPost - January 9th, 2021
- A radish in a tutu walking a dog? This AI can draw it really well - ABC17News.com - January 9th, 2021
- Stefflon Don Shows Off Upper Thigh Tattoo In Gucci Swimsuit During Ghana Vacation - The Inquisitr - January 9th, 2021
- George Gerdes, Bosch and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo actor, dies at 72 - Yahoo Entertainment - January 5th, 2021
- Taking a look at the Most Useful Android Apps - Programming Insider - January 5th, 2021
- Suspects charged in connection with Steelton shooting - PennLive - January 5th, 2021
- Skin in the game: why getting a tattoo helped me achieve my goals - The Guardian - January 3rd, 2021
- How the Networks Will Fill Airtime on a Quiet New Years Eve - The New York Times - December 31st, 2020
- Why Werent We All Invited To Neymars New Years Eve Party? - The18 - December 31st, 2020
- Mars is revealing its angel, devil and heart "tattoos" as ice melts at its south pole - SYFY WIRE - December 27th, 2020
- Turn Your RPG Character's Into Inked Showcases With The Tome of Mystical Tattoos - TheGamer - December 27th, 2020
- Bloke asks for his mums advice on what tattoo to get and takes her answer WAY too seriously - The Irish Sun - December 23rd, 2020
- Bloke asks for his mums advice on what tattoo to get and takes her answer WAY too seriously - The Sun - December 21st, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077: The Face Tattoos, Ranked - TheGamer - December 17th, 2020
- The 25 Best Latin Songs of 2020: Staff Picks - Billboard - December 17th, 2020
- Cardi B Is Being Sued For The Use Of A Tattoo On Her Album Cover - mit inc - December 12th, 2020
- This Mom Tattooed Her Toddler & We're Actually On Board With It - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 12th, 2020
- Inked for The Very First Time: Madonna shares behind-the-scenes photos of first tattoo at 62 - The Independent - December 9th, 2020
- Keke Palmer Showcases Upper Thigh Tattoo In Tiny Plaid Dress & Leather Knee-High Boots - The Inquisitr - December 8th, 2020
- Sophie Turner shares a never-before-seen photo with Joe Jonas from her pregnancy - Insider - INSIDER - December 6th, 2020
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic Or Memphis Depay Or Sergio Ramos: Whos Got The Best Tattoo On Their Back? - IWMBuzz - December 3rd, 2020
- Oliver Peck Net Worth | What is Tattoo Artist Oliver Peck's Net Worth? - The Cinemaholic - December 2nd, 2020
- Rulers of the Upper Realm, Thunderbirds Are Powerful Native Spirits - National Audubon Society - December 1st, 2020
- Through Positive Eyes: living with HIV and Aids - a photo essay - The Guardian - December 1st, 2020
- A Life On Our Planet: 10 Behind The Scenes Facts You Need To Know - Screen Rant - November 27th, 2020
- Lockdown-defying tattoo shop raided for second time as owner wrongly cites Magna Carta - The Samford Crimson - November 27th, 2020
- EndSARS Protester Inscribes Tattoo On His Chest To Commemorate The Killing Of Nigerians At The Lekki Toll Gate (Photos) - GH Gossip - November 21st, 2020
- Born into occupation, young Afghans fear the Taliban will crush their freedoms when US troops exit - The Bakersfield Californian - November 21st, 2020
- David Fincher: Studios don't want to make anything that can't make billions - FOX 28 Spokane - November 20th, 2020
- BEST PLACES TO GET TATTOOS ON YOUR BODY - Artvoice - November 16th, 2020
- David Fincher: Studios don't want to make anything that can't make billions - lcbcradio.com - November 16th, 2020
- Family Fun: Rocking joy into the world with vibrantly painted rocks - The Spokesman-Review - November 16th, 2020
- Police issue CCTV images of three men over incident on train via Dalmuir - Clydebank Post - November 12th, 2020
- Images released of men after rammy on board Glasgow train - Glasgow Times - November 11th, 2020
- 'I'd been avoiding looking at myself': Breast cancer survivors reveal how mastectomy tattoos changed them - 7NEWS.com.au - November 11th, 2020
- Red Notice: Ryan Reynolds Edits Young Versions of Him & Dwayne Johnson Into Image - Screen Rant - October 31st, 2020