The one-time leader of the Proud Boys most paramilitary arm is now trying to rebrand the far-right streetfighting group as a more explicitly racist entity. Its the latest headache for an organization currently in denial about President Donald Trumps re-election loss.
Kyle Based Stickman Chapman was once the leader of the Fraternal Order of the Alt-Knights, essentially the frontline shock troops of the group known for taking part in brawls across the country. The Proud Boys founder even said in 2017 that he considered naming Chapman president of the entire organization.
But that was while Trump was ascendant. Now, with the ultranationalist group scrambling in the wake of Trumps loss, Chapman is threatening a putsch to make the Proud Boys even more explicitly hateful, accusing the groups current leadership of being too soft.
Chapman, who did not return a request for comment, announced his attempted takeover on Monday night.
Due to the recent failure of Proud Boy Chairman Enrique Tarrio to conduct himself with honor and courage on the battlefield, it has been decided that I Kyle Chapman reassume my post as President of Proud Boys effective immediately, he wrote on the encrypted messaging platform Telegram. Our logo will forthwith be changed to reflect the core beliefs of Proud Boy members. Going forward we will now be known as PROUD GOYS. The coup is complete. The grifting leaders have been deposed.
The announcement carried on in racist terms, claiming the organizations new direction would be more explicitly white supremacist, and (unlike the current group) opposed to gay members. (The proposed groups name, the Proud Goys, was a nod to anti-Semites embrace of the word goy, which is Yiddish for a non-Jewish person.)
Enrique Tarrio, the current head of the Proud Boys, told The Daily Beast the putsch wasnt going to succeed. And indeed, Chapmans standing in the group has fallen since its peak several years ago.
Still, his announcement hinted at recent upsets in Proud Boy circles, as well as a bigoted tendency that keeps surfacing among Proud Boys despite the groups insistence that theyre not racist.
Chapman made his fame as Based Stickman after he was filmed hitting anti-fascists with a bat during a 2017 demonstration in Berkeley, California. At the time, he wasnt a member of the Proud Boys. But his antics won him the admiration of the group, who set up a fund to pay his bail. The groups founder, Gavin McInnes, told The New York Times that hed considered bringing Chapman onboard as the Proud Boys new president, but decided instead to put him in charge of the Fraternal Order of the Alt-Knights, a subgroup intended as the Proud Boys paramilitary wing.
As FOAK leader, Chapman embodied some of the Proud Boys bloodiest and most bigoted tendencies, leading brawls, urging fans to smash [anti-fascists] on sight, railing against Muslims, and encouraging the lynching of politicians. Like many Proud Boys, he was convicted for violence at these far-right brawls, taking a plea deal related to the brawl that made him famous. He subsequently drifted away from a visible leadership role with the Proud Boys, but still posts the groups propaganda on social media.
After Trumps defeat, however, Chapman and the Proud Boys began acting more erratically online. The groups social media pages have relentlessly argued that Trump actually won re-election (he did not) and that Democrats are involved in massive voter fraud (they are not).
Shortly after most news outlets declared Joe Biden to have won the race, Tarrio threatened to mobilize the group. Were rolling out, Tarrio posted on Sunday. Standby order has been rescinded.
Those words apparently werent enough for Chapman, who mocked them on Telegram.
Watch out leftists, Chapman posted on Sunday. Your pissing Enrique off. If you keep it up he might casually walk around confused, acting like hes breaking up a fight while you stab his friends. If you really make him mad hell push you... hard. (The latter was apparently a reference to a recent incident in which Proud Boys claimed to have been stabbed, although video of the incident was unclear, showing a scuffle after Proud Boys confronted someone on a sidewalk. Police said the incident happened during an altercation with the suspects, who have not yet been named.)
Chapman continued to rage into the night, accusing Tarrio of standing there doing nothing and looking at his phone during a fight. He hurled a slur at Tarrio, who is Black, and implied that Tarrio was unfit to lead the group.
Tarrio told The Daily Beast he thought Chapman was drunk or kidding.
He hasnt been part of the organization in probably two years, Tarrio said. Obviously he still probably has friends. Ive never had an issue with Kyle. I think he went on a drunken rant that night, and he thought it was funny to put the things he did on his channel, then he said it was a joke. Which regardless of whether it was a joke or not, I think it was stupid.
(Chapman later deleted his comment suggesting he was joking and insisted repeatedly that he was completely serious, lobbing personal attacks at Tarrio, who said he objected to them. Im not gonna take somebody fucking calling me a token negro, Tarrio told The Daily Beast.)
For all the Proud Boys public insistence that they disavow racism, this sort of thing keeps happening to them.
On Telegram, Chapman was joined in his crusade by Jovi Val, a former Proud Boy who in recent years has abandoned all pretense and begun wearing a swastika necklace in public.
When Chapman led the FOAK, his second-in-command was Austin Gillespie, a white supremacist who legally changed his name to Augustus Sol Invictus, called for the lynching of his enemies, and is currently awaiting trial for alleged domestic violence. The Proud Boys have also scurried to distance themselves from Alan Swinney, a Portland man facing a mountain of charges over his alleged actions at brawls in that city, where he was photographed pointing a gun at opponents. Swinney has a large Proud Boys tattoo on his arm, although the group claims he is not a member.
The Proud Boys have also tried to bury their connections to Unite the Right, the fatal white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia 2017. Nevertheless, some members, including Tarrio, attended the rally on its second, fatal day.
Tarriowho, when he spoke to The Daily Beast, was en route to Washington, D.C. for a pro-Trump event this weekendwas photographed that day wearing a patch for the FOAK, Chapmans paramilitary group.
- What's New to Stream on Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+ and More in July 2021 - TV Guide - July 22nd, 2021
- Love Island: What tattoos does Danny Bibby have and what do they mean? - Metro.co.uk - July 22nd, 2021
- Capitol riot suspect arrested after giant tattoo revealed on video - The Independent - June 9th, 2021
- The Sacred Male Body Modification Practices That Still Exist Today - InsideHook - May 16th, 2021
- `We were never terrorists`: Proud Boys Canada officially dissolved` - WION - May 4th, 2021
- Farmer Boys celebrating 40th anniversary with free burger tattoo - KTNV Las Vegas - April 19th, 2021
- Here are the nine men from Hudson Valley charged with participating in Jan. 6 Capitol riot - Times Herald-Record - April 19th, 2021
- Crowdfunding Hate in the Name of Christ - The Nation - April 4th, 2021
- Guest Opinion | Reflections on the course Women Unknown: Fight for Independence - UI The Daily Iowan - April 4th, 2021
- Part 3: How a Trini played a role in the life of Nipsey Hussle - Loop News Trinidad and Tobago - April 4th, 2021
- We want to keep him alive Family, friends remember San Antonios Tito Bradshaw two years later - San Antonio Express-News - April 4th, 2021
- Quick on the draw: Castagna the chaotic Tiger with a tattoo gun - The Age - April 4th, 2021
- Love Island Australias Phoebe Thompson reveals WAP lip tattoo as she celebrates birthday - The Irish Sun - March 8th, 2021
- Brave, Powerful, Complicated: The Most Formidable Heroines In Film - British Vogue - March 8th, 2021
- Jaden Hill is LSU's ace pitcher who has a bigger calling in life: 'I'm chosen to help people' - The Advocate - February 19th, 2021
- Gangland: a book about meth and the people whose lives it touches - The Spinoff - February 17th, 2021
- SA tattoo artist to the stars on taking his skill abroad - News24 - February 14th, 2021
- Memories of dad help make University of Houston's Justin Gorham a rebounding machine - Houston Chronicle - February 11th, 2021
- Tauranga's strongest head to the Highlands - The Bay's News First - SunLive - February 6th, 2021
- Nick Carter of Backstreet Boys Got His Paris Hilton Tattoo Just 3 Week Before They Broke up - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 30th, 2021
- 2 Green Country Women Share Stories Through Tattoo Ink; Competing In National Contest - News On 6 - January 30th, 2021
- Gangs? Cliques? Subgroups? Call Them What You Will There've Been 18 (Yes, 18) In The LA Sheriff's Department - LAist - January 22nd, 2021
- Trump's useful thugs: how the Republican party offered a home to the Proud Boys - The Guardian - January 22nd, 2021
- Proud Boys among groups being watched as inauguration approaches. Do they have Northeast Ohio ties? - Akron Beacon Journal - January 20th, 2021
- Who are Proud Boys? The Western chauvinist far-right group explained and what Donald Trump has previously said about them - The Scotsman - January 15th, 2021
- Theyve been hidden too long: Report details Los Angeles Sheriffs deputy gangs and violence toward communities of color - East Bay Times - January 15th, 2021
- Hawaii Proud Boy Charged By DOJ After Raiding US Capitol - Honolulu Civil Beat - January 9th, 2021
- Swimming With My Shirt Off - The New York Times - January 9th, 2021
- How the Internet Reflected on and Coped With the Capitol Attack - Hyperallergic - January 9th, 2021
- The Weekly-ish Mailbag is mailing it in this week. - Off Tackle Empire - December 31st, 2020
- Four months before her wedding, Mary knew it was over - Sydney Morning Herald - December 19th, 2020
- Family, determination and a dream: The Real Woods story - The Stanford Daily - December 16th, 2020
- Skating solo gives me time to study everyone else on the rink - The Globe and Mail - December 16th, 2020
- LOCAL NEWS BRIEFS: Price is Right Live show rescheduled - Goshen News - December 16th, 2020
- Controversial Mom Made One Of Her Twin Toddlers Get A Tattoo For Very Important Reason - BabyGaga - December 11th, 2020
- Mum of twins tattoos one so she can tell them apart leaving mother-in-law fuming - Daily Star - December 11th, 2020
- Farmingtons mayor of 12 years memorializes his experience in tattoo - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - December 8th, 2020
- Im A Celebrity superfan gets tattoo of Ant and Dec at Gwrych Castle inked onto his thigh - The Sun - December 1st, 2020
- MacAdam: Fascination with Mike Tyson began in Albany - The Daily Gazette - November 27th, 2020
- 'Home town boys' return to Philippi Main Street - The Inter-Mountain - November 20th, 2020
- I just want to be with my friends: how will children cope with being cooped up again in second lockdown? - The Guardian - November 9th, 2020
- 240+ Inspirational & Meaningful One Word Tattoos (2020 ... - November 6th, 2020
- 75+ Best Small Tattoos For Men (2020) - Simple Cool ... - November 6th, 2020
- Tickets for sale in Snohomish County and around the region - The Daily Herald - November 5th, 2020
- Seances, tattoos and the unbreakable bond between Mikaela Mayer and Al Mitchell - ESPN - October 30th, 2020
- Students rediscover their childhood fandoms on TikTok - Daily Northwestern - October 29th, 2020
- Chase Winovich talks playing time, conspiracy theories with Zolak & Bertrand - 98.5 The Sports Hub - October 22nd, 2020
- The Cycle of Punitive Justice Starts in Schools. Eric Butler Is Showing Kids and Teachers How to Break It. - Mother Jones - October 21st, 2020
- The Proud Boys? - SOFREP - October 16th, 2020
- Theatre Alliance to perform outdoor production of Devil Boys from Beyond - Yes! Weekly - October 16th, 2020
- Freshers' Flu - Why My Mum Invented COVID - Cherwell Online - October 10th, 2020
- Who Are the Proud Boys Trump Told To 'Stand Back and Stand By'? - Snopes.com - October 8th, 2020
- Dan Osbornes tattoo shows hes protective of Jacqueline Jossa & the meaning behind Brooklyn Beckhams spoo - The Sun - October 7th, 2020
- When the Proud Boys came to town - The Economist - October 7th, 2020
- The ten essential facts you need to know about BTS's Suga - Film Daily - October 6th, 2020
- 30 Best Neck Tattoos for Boys and Girls - The Best Tattoo ... - September 30th, 2020
- Best 100+ Tattoo Designs For Men and Boys - Youme And Trends - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys, the extremist group Trump named in the debate - Insider - INSIDER - September 30th, 2020
- Fred Perry Will Denounce Proud Boys, But The President Won't - Highsnobiety - September 30th, 2020
- Hooligans With Heart: Phoenix Risings Red Fury fan club reaches out to refugees - Cronkite News - September 30th, 2020
- Whats New on Netflix UK & Top 10s: September 30th, 2020 - What's on Netflix - September 30th, 2020
- From the Fields: Soaking it up now | agrinews-pubs.com - Agri News - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys and why did Trump tell them to stand by? - The Irish Sun - September 30th, 2020
- The Giant Proud Boy Rally That Wasn't - VICE - September 28th, 2020
- Dallas Cowboys news: Defense is looking for improvements - Blogging The Boys - September 26th, 2020
- For Australia's military veterans, tattoos are an important reminder of the things they've seen - The Canberra Times - September 26th, 2020
- What is the alt-right group the Proud Boys? - The Sun - September 21st, 2020
- Police investigating after man tried to grab young boy from street - The Northern Echo - September 18th, 2020
- Cowboys news: Reviewing the rookies after the Cowboys season-opener - Blogging The Boys - September 18th, 2020
- Nas makes his latest claim to the throne with King's Disease - NYSMusic - September 18th, 2020
- The Boys Season 2 Episode 4: 20 Easter Eggs And Things You Might Have Missed - GameSpot - September 15th, 2020
- The Boys Season 2 Episode 4: 20 Things You Might Have Missed - GameSpot - September 11th, 2020
- Remembrance of Things Past: A favorite series features a book with a local tie - theday.com - September 11th, 2020
- RCB spinner Adam Zampa speaks of his love for whisky, need to carry microwave on tours - Times Now - September 8th, 2020
- Youth of color disproportionately represented in the justice system - Prescott eNews - September 7th, 2020
- Two "Boogaloo Boys" Allegedly Tried To Supply Weapons To Hamas And Join As Mercenaries - BuzzFeed News - September 6th, 2020
- Sophie Kasaei shows off full sleeve and chest piece in 'tattoo' snap - Heat - September 3rd, 2020
- Failed by the System - Eugene Weekly - September 3rd, 2020
- 'They're going to have to shoot me': A cop's son meets a tragic fate in Morris Township - Morristown Green - September 3rd, 2020
- Youth of color disproportionately represented in the justice system - Cronkite News - September 3rd, 2020