This year has been full of changes, and beauty trends have been no exception.
Insider asked makeup experts and dermatologists for their favorite beauty trends of the year so far, plus which ones they'll be happy to leave in 2020.
Read on to see the best and worst ones.
Doreen Bloch, executive director of the Makeup Museum in New York City, told Insider that bright and bold eyeshadows are one of her favorite makeup trends of the year.
"Thanks to mask wearing in 2020, the spotlight has been placed on the eyes," said Bloch. "Beauty lovers of all ages and styles are embracing bolder colors on their eyelids and I love it."
If you're hesitant about sporting bright eyeshadow, try sweeping a deeper, saturated hue across your lids such as burgundy, emerald green, or navy blue.
Colorful eyeshadow can make your face pop. Shutterstock
Retinol has dominated the anti-aging scene for years, but bakuchiol a plant-based retinol alternative has recently moved into the spotlight.
"Bakuchiol is gentler than retinol and helps to even skin complexion," said Bloch. "Plus it's safe to use while pregnant or breastfeeding, while retinol is not."
The bakuchiol used in cosmetics is usually extracted from parts of the Psoralea corylifolia plantand has been shown to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Emmy-nominated makeup artist Kerrin Jackson told Insider that she approves of next-generation makeup that doubles as skin care.
"I'm 100% behind makeup products that contain skin-care ingredients," said Jackson. "I love the idea of healing skin with products used to decorate it."
Products that straddle the line between makeup and skin care include BB and CC creams, sheer lip balms with a hint of color, and primers with moisturizing properties.
Minimal makeup looks have been popular for a while, and celebrity makeup artist Jamie Greenberg told Insider that she doesn't see this trend slowing down.
"I love the look of clean, breathable skin," she said. "People seem to be more interested than ever in achieving a bare-faced makeup style."
Greenberg recommended using a damp makeup sponge to apply liquid foundation if you want to achieve a dewy, natural look.
Dermatologist Marisa Garshick told Insider that she's on board with new skin-care products designed to shield skin from harmful pollution, which has been linked to allergic reactions, acne, and even skin cancer.
"More products are being formulated to protect the skin from pollution, which may lead to free radical damage and negative skin changes," said Garshick.
Greenberg told Insider that dramatic contouring took a backseat to a more natural blush application this year.
"Natural glow on the cheeks came back in a major way in 2020. Less is definitely more when it comes to blush," she said.
Choosing a buildable, blendable blush color that closely matches the color of your naturally flushed skin is key to achieving a subtle rosy glow.
Minimal blush has been a popular 2020 trend. Shutterstock
There's been a lot of beauty buzz around niacinamide, a form of vitamin B3 with the potential to soothe skin, hydrate it, and make it look more even.
"Niacinamide supports the skin barrier, reducing inflammation and redness caused by acne and rosacea," said Garshick.
Dermatologist Anna H. Chacon, advisor for Smart Style Today, told Insider that she's ready for the lash-extension trend to fade away.
"Lash extensions are my least favorite beauty trend of 2020," said Chacon. "They're so high-maintenance and can weaken your natural lashes over time."
Getting extensions can also come with some negative side effects, like swelling or allergic reactions to the glue.
If you're longing for lusher lashes, an ophthalmologist-approved mascara or lash regrowth serum can help you achieve a similar look with less fuss.
The floating eyeliner trend involves applying eyeliner above the natural lash line on the upper eyelid.
The technique popped up on beauty blogs and catwalks in 2020, but Jackson dismissed the avant-garde look as difficult to wear.
"Unless you're on a runway, you shouldn't attempt to wear a line halfway up your eyelid," said Jackson. "It usually ends up looking like your eyeliner transferred upwards because you opened your eyes before the product was dry."
Glitter can be not-so-great for the planet. iStock / Getty Images Plus
Some beauty fans may already know that conventional glitter and glittery makeup products can harm the environment, but Boch noted that even glitter marketed as "eco-friendly" can be bad for the planet.
"New reports show that even biodegradable glitter ends up in rivers and oceans," said Bloch.
For example, a recent study set to be published in the Journal of Hazardous Materials suggests that biodegradable glitter can also cause damage in aquatic ecosystems.
This eyeball modification, also known as a scleral tattoo, involves applying ink directly to the white of the eye. The trend made headlines throughout 2020 for causing blindness and getting banned in some parts of the world.
"These kinds of eye tattoos can potentially result in blindness or long-term damage to the eye," said Bloch.
According to the American Academy of Ophthalmology, scleral tattoos can cause a temporary or permanent decrease in vision, retinal detachment, infection, light sensitivity, and a persistent feeling that something is in the eye.
In extreme cases, botched scleral tattoos can lead to the loss of the entire eye.
Some types of gel can be difficult to remove. Shutterstock
Japanese hard gel manicures utilize cosmetic-grade products to create vivid designs that can last longer than other manicure types.
Unfortunately, Chacon said, this kind of gel treatment can be tough to properly maintain, especially if you want to try it at home and don't have access to a pro.
"It's very difficult to remove if not done by an expert with the right tools, and there are extremely few salons equipped to do it correctly," said Chacon.
Garshick told Insider that attempting dermatological treatments on your own can lead to skin damage.
"The occasional facial can be a great way to pamper yourself, but it's best not to pop your own pimples or pick at your skin," said Garshick.
Scheduling a virtual consultation with a dermatologist may be a safer way to address skin concerns without leaving your home.
Stylists reveal the best and worst fashion trends of the year, so far
6 wedding trends that will start to disappear by 2021, and 9 you'll see everywhere
31 of the most popular movies of the year, ranked from worst to best
- Tinkerbell with tattoos, inked Incredibles; Disney to allow visible tattoos on cast members - WKRG News 5 - April 19th, 2021
- The Ron Swanson Mistake You Never Noticed In Parks And Recreation - Looper - April 4th, 2021
- Ireland Baldwin Reveals Creative Use For David Bowie Tattoo - The Inquisitr News - April 4th, 2021
- Watch Travis Barkers Daughter Alabama Cover Up His Face Tattoos With Makeup - menshealth.com - April 4th, 2021
- Is There KVD Beauty Without Kat Von D? - The Business of Fashion - March 8th, 2021
- What Is Microshading? Heres What To Know About the No-Maintenance, Feathery Brows Everyones Talking About - Well+Good - March 8th, 2021
- Jennifer Aniston finally reveals the meaning behind her '11 11' wrist tattoo - Cosmopolitan UK - March 8th, 2021
- Popular new makeup products to try in 2021 - Belfast Live - February 19th, 2021
- Woman Reacts To Seeing Boyfriend For First Time Without Tattoo-Covered Face - BroBible - February 19th, 2021
- Test Pattern Director Shatara Michelle Ford on Making Their First Film and Being Emotionally Truthful - TheStranger.com - February 19th, 2021
- Here's Why Jeffree Star's 'Delicious' Neck Tattoo Is One Of His Favorites - TheThings - February 17th, 2021
- Blue Light Body Arts to open on the bricks in spring - Hays Daily News - February 17th, 2021
- Exploring the ever-diminishing returns of the Crow franchise - The Spool - February 14th, 2021
- 'Justice League': Check out Jared Leto's freaky Joker in the trailer for Zack Snyder's new HBO Max cut - USA TODAY - February 14th, 2021
- JUSTICE LEAGUE Director Zack Snyder Addresses Absence Of The Joker's SUICIDE SQUAD Tattoos In The Snyder Cut - CBM (Comic Book Movie) - February 11th, 2021
- Zack Snyder explains why Joker's tattoos were removed in Justice League - Explica - February 11th, 2021
- How TikTok communists are reclaiming the hammer and sickle - i-D - February 11th, 2021
- Why Leto's Joker Doesn't Have His "Damaged" Tattoo In Justice League - Screen Rant - February 10th, 2021
- Site of the day: Want a tattoo? You have to download this app - Explica - February 10th, 2021
- Salma Hayek Shows off Chest Tattoos for New Movie 'Bliss' - PopCulture.com - February 7th, 2021
- The rise of beauty enhancements and Maya Darwiche - Sunrise News - February 7th, 2021
- The eyes have it: Above-the-mask makeup sees pandemic surge - CBC.ca - February 7th, 2021
- BB14 promo: Salman Khan schools Abhinav for his choice of words; asks if he's 'going in the right direction' - Times Now - February 7th, 2021
- Tattoo Stamp - MILK MAKEUP | Sephora - February 6th, 2021
- Eye Studio Color Tattoo 24HR Cream Gel Eyeshadow - Maybelline - February 6th, 2021
- Salma Hayek flaunts new large tattoo and fans freak out - HOLA USA - February 6th, 2021
- Gigi Hadid Now Has A Tattoo Tribute To Baby Girl And It Matches Zayn Maliks - Capital - February 4th, 2021
- Bobrisky lavishes N596k while shopping for lady that tattooed him on her back - Legit.ng - February 4th, 2021
- Make-up artist Mei Pang is turning the internet into her beauty playground - Dazed - February 4th, 2021
- Nick Carter of Backstreet Boys Covered Up His Paris Hilton Tattoo With a Skull and Crossbones - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 4th, 2021
- Two Singaporean women pioneering in the rise of hand-poked tattoos - News24 - February 4th, 2021
- Britney Spears Fans Concerned About Singers Well-Being After Her Latest Video Upload - The Inquisitr - February 4th, 2021
- Priyanka Chopra is a sight to behold as the bold and beautiful cover star of Elle UK - Bollywood Hungama - February 4th, 2021
- Promised Neverland: 10 Great Emma Cosplay You Have To See | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 4th, 2021
- The Multiple Personalities of Johnny Depp: The Smearing of Makeup and a Beloved Actors Career - Mandatory - February 2nd, 2021
- Hunter Schafer on the Reverb of Euphorias Makeup and Her Road-Trip Beauty Essentials - Vanity Fair - January 24th, 2021
- BTS' Jungkook reveals tattoos on show and fans are excited to get a close-up view - CNA - January 24th, 2021
- Forget microblading... These eyebrow tattoo stickers are the in-thing - Jacaranda FM - January 24th, 2021
- Jurassic World: Age, Height, & 8 Other Things You Didn't Know About Jeff Goldblum - Screen Rant - January 24th, 2021
- Foundation getting in the way of your natural freckles? Here's how you can make them pop again - News24 - January 20th, 2021
- Forget Shoes, It's About the Lipstick: Hollywood Stylists Share Lessons Learned From Working in a Pandemic - Hollywood Reporter - January 15th, 2021
- This designer is giving the ancient art of henna a modern makeover - CNN - January 15th, 2021
- Apex Legends: 10 Loba Cosplays That Prove She Is The Best Character - TheGamer - January 15th, 2021
- New fashion trend went viral, women tattooing tattoos to hide dark circles and stretch mark - Primetime - January 12th, 2021
- Makeup trends 2021 | Beauty - MAG THE WEEKLY - Mag The Weekly Magazine - January 12th, 2021
- Assassins Creed Valhalla: 10 Female Eivor Cosplays That Are Battle-Ready - TheGamer - January 12th, 2021
- Justin Bieber Covered Up All His Tattoos for the Anyone Music Video and the Video Is Mesmerizing to Watch - Us Weekly - January 9th, 2021
- Fans Think Cardi B Deserves A Superhero Name | TheThings - TheThings - January 9th, 2021
- Priyanka Chopra In Trouble With UK Cops After Breaking Lockdown Rules - Talent Recap - January 9th, 2021
- Nikita Dragun Masters The Underboob Look In Metallic Bandeau Top With Matching Thigh-High Slit Skirt - The Inquisitr News - January 3rd, 2021
- Justin Bieber Shared a Video of Himself Getting His Tattoos Covered Up for His New "Anyone" Music Video Watch - Allure - January 3rd, 2021
- Prateik Babbar experiments with his hair colour again, goes from red to blue - Republic World - December 28th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077: 5 Things That Make No Sense About V (& 5 Fan Theories That Really Do) - TheGamer - December 28th, 2020
- Fashion trends that originated from other cultures - Los Angeles Times - December 28th, 2020
- 89 Best Truth or Dare Questions and Dares - Teen Vogue - December 28th, 2020
- Louisa Johnson Showcases Chest Tattoo In Low-Cut White Top For A Series Of Close-Up Snaps - The Inquisitr - December 23rd, 2020
- Get the Look: a gold mine of information about gilded makeup looks - Irish Examiner - December 21st, 2020
- Replicating Success In The ECommerce World: A Case Study With James Khuri - Forbes - December 21st, 2020
- Pete Davidson is reportedly in the process of removing all of his tattoos - 21-Dec-2020 - NZ Entertainment news - NZCity - December 21st, 2020
- TRIED & TESTED: "I got my eyebrows tattooed with a freehand blade. Here's how it went." - Mamamia - December 18th, 2020
- Permanent Makeup Information: Eyeliner, Lipstick, and More - December 18th, 2020
- People Have a Lot of Feelings About Pete Davidson Removing All of His Tattoos - POPSUGAR - December 17th, 2020
- Are Hair and Beauty Salons Allowed to Be Open in Tier 3? - POPSUGAR United Kingdom - December 17th, 2020
- Docs with Tattoos: More Relatable to Patients? - MedPage Today - December 14th, 2020
- Keep Your Eye On These Young Designers From Around the World - W Magazine - December 3rd, 2020
- Carmen Electra, 48, Nearly Bursts Out Of Plunging Corset While Caressing Her Chest - The Inquisitr - November 26th, 2020
- Guns N Roses Stars Daughter Draws All Eyes To Her Backside As She Strikes A Sultry Pose With ... - Metalhead Zone - November 25th, 2020
- Gen-Z is finding alternatives to traditional mental health resources through social media - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 21st, 2020
- KVD Vegan Beauty Debuts Holiday 2020 with First-Ever Fully-Recycled Eyeshadow Palette, Dazzling Shadows Sticks, Vegan Lashes and a Plethora of... - November 20th, 2020
- Astanza Wins Top Aesthetic Company, Best Laser Service and Training, and Best Laser Company to Work For in the Aesthetic Everything 2020 Aesthetic and... - November 20th, 2020
- Valeria Micropigmentation Is One of The Most Trusted Solution for Permanent Makeup - Press Release - Digital Journal - November 18th, 2020
- Revealed: The Get The Gloss Beauty and Wellness Awards 2020 winners - Get The Gloss - November 18th, 2020
- Queen Icon Roger Taylors Daughter Tiger Lily Looks Sexy In Red, Shows A Secret Tattoo And Explains ... - Metalhead Zone - November 18th, 2020
- New Zealand has just elected one of the most diverse parliaments in the world. Here's how it stacks up - KESQ - November 18th, 2020
- Cardi B Puts Her Colorful Leg Tattoo on Display in a Red Reebok Outfit from Her New Collection - AmoMama - November 16th, 2020
- Lee Sang Yeob Hilariously Pretends To Be Bentley From The Future On The Return Of Superman - soompi - November 16th, 2020
- Tejaswini Pandit Flaunts A Rare Barcode Tattoo, Fans Wonder What Scanning It Will Lead To? - Zee Kannada - November 12th, 2020
- Chris Evans Has 9 Hidden Tattoos Here's What They Mean - POPSUGAR - November 11th, 2020
- Assassins Creed Valhalla Will Feature Photo Mode at Launch. Know All The Updates Right Here ! - Stanford Arts Review - November 9th, 2020
- 'Welcome to Plathville': The Plaths Are More Divided Than Ever in the Season 2 Sneak Peek Moriah Calls Her Parents' House a 'Cage,' Ethan Gets a... - November 9th, 2020