A Life On Our Planet with David Attenborough explores the career of everyone's favorite natural historian and how the planet has changed in this time.
The name of the newest eye-opening and intense documentary calling everyone to take action in protecting Mother Earth is . Through the narration of David's life stories and travels, viewers get to understand how the evolutionary history of life on our planet has developed. But this premise is only there to set the stage for the deeper topic of the film: the loss of wild places in the past100 years, mostly caused by human action.
RELATED: The Best Nature Documentaries Now Streaming
Asdevastating as this is, however, not everything is lost and Attenborough provides hope by sharing a vision for the future and what needs to happen to overturn this dramatic scenario. Putting its heavy content aside,this movieis a beautiful masterpiece full of images that will take viewers' breath away. And filming was surely a ride that both Attenborough and the crew will always remember.
Documentaries can be complex and arduous to film, especiallynature docs. The process involved in filmmaking is anything but effortless, even though it aims to look so. In thiswitness statement for the environment, Attenborough revisited the rainforests of Borneo to see how life on the island has changed over the years.
The world's third-largest island is one of its richest treasures on the planet. But the species of animals and plants that livehere have been largely impacted by climate change. The crew was shocked to seehow the destruction compared to the early 50s (when Attenborough first visited the island).
Right in the beginning of the movie, as Davidnotes how dramatically the planets biodiversity has degenerated, viewers will see several shots of a deserted location. Later, it is revealed that these shots belong to the territory around Chernobyl's nuclear plant, which today is uninhabitable by humans. However, this once destroyed area has become home to a lush wildlife paradise that has prevailed against all odds.
What may be less known is the exact name of the place that Sir David Attenborough and his crew visited. It's called Pripyat, located in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone and the crew stayed there for a week in September of 2018.
In the last scene of A Life On Our Planet, fans are dazzled with astonishing images of our planet. This is particularly true when it comes to Pripyat, the Ghost City. While it's true that the movie team spent some time at Chernobyl to film the majority of the shots, executive producer Alastair Fothergill stated that it took four years to capture the wildlife in Pripyat.
RELATED:10 Best Netflix Documentaries Right Now, According To IMDb
Even though today the area is considered an environmental Armageddon, the crew's remote cameras captured how life is slowly returning to the area. This proves that despite the harm wrought on the natural world, in particular in this region, which is known asthe location ofone of the worst disasters in history, there is still hope for the future.
David Attenborough's latest film is obviouslyone of many made when it comes to showing Earth's most stunning places and its unknown facts.ButA Life On Our Planet marks a particular milestone in the documentarian's career:the relationship of more than 40 years between him and the movie's executive producer - Alastair Fothergill.
For this documentary, Fothergill had to use a particular lens during filmingthat contained a mirror so that David could look into the lens and see the director reflected in it. This made him feelas if he was talking to somebody and it was important in order to reveal a personal side of David that, in the end, connected so well with the viewers.
During filming, Attenborough gave several intimate testimonials on his view of the world and what should be done for civilization to have a brighter future. Even though the British broadcaster and natural historian is already 94 years old, he is living proof that age is nothing but a number, as he is100 percent sharp in both his speech and coherence.
He answered each question unscripted and his spontaneous yet revealing responses are the most insightfulmoments in this film.
Throughout his exceptional career, Sir David hasdelighted fans with hundreds (if not thousands) of iconic TV moments. But his fundamental role in series and documentaries of late is mostly as a narrator. This time, though, onA Life On Our Planet, Attenborough presents the viewers with his first and only feature film, not only as a filmmaker, but also as a live host. Viewers get a personal look at his beliefs andpassion for the natural world with himonscreen - where he even reenacts some scenes.
In other words, this time Attenborough shows us the world as he sees it (literally and metaphorically), as the movie includes footage that David himself captured.
Jonnie Hughes had already worked with David Attenborough on other projects, likeOur Planet. And he has stated that it was in 2014 while working at the Silverback Films with David for this series, thatthe team decided that it wasnecessary to make a single film that would broadcastthe biodiversity crisis far and wide. He was, then, propelled to work onA Life On Our Planet and chose this as his first cinematic premiere.
Even though this movie was planned out to hit the theaters before airing onNetflix, and it did in some countries like Australia, its distribution strategy had to be adapted because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Considered a national treasure in the U.K., Attenborough's voice and empowering narrator skills have always been his biggest strengths. And that is also the case when it comes to using his voice tocalm down his film crew in potentially dangerous situations. Although he was unequivocally the oldest person traveling while filming, he was the least scared when the team was in Chernobyl.
There was a potentially dangerous radioactive situation that mostof the crew werescared of and Jonnie Hughes felt bad that he was taking David into the area. It was a place no one had been able to spend more than a few hours in over 30 years, but David quickly calmed Jonnie saying: "Dont look so worried. Im in my 90s, its not going to make the slightest bit of difference to me. Its these two he motioned to the younger members of our crew, Ilaria and Joe, that we should be worried about.
In a behind-the-scenes nostalgic moment, Hughes shares how David has an incurable passionwhen it comes to exploring nature. While filming in theirfirst location on a hot day in Leicestershire in July 2018, the team found themselves in a deep gully where Attenborough used to come as a boy. Hughes set the scene:
RELATED:10 Best Documentaries On HBO Max (According To IMDb)
"David was in a jubilant mood. This was a place he used to come to as a boy. He skipped down the steep steps to its base and motored off along the path. By the time we had caught up with him, he was at it again, teetering on the scree. Within minutes, he had found old friends fragments of shells protruding from the ironstone."
When someone you meet randomly while exploring Borneoshows youa tattoo of your face on their thigh, things feel a bit odd. That's exactlyhow David Attenborough described the way he felt when he was (literally) faced with this.
As he was getting ready to climb Mount Kinabalu to film shots for the movie, a complete stranger came up to him and showedthe tattoo she had made in his honor. He felt this was a weird but very lovely tribute.
NEXT:5 Reasons Planet Of The Apes Should Get A TV Series (& 5 Reasons That's a Terrible Idea)
Next Every Chadwick Boseman Movie, Ranked Worst To Best (According To Rotten Tomatoes)
Soraia Ferreira is a self-called Dreamer Virgo Artist. She has always been fascinated with films and stories, especially writing and producing them. Both her creativity and her too freaky organizational skills have greatly supported her work as a TV/Digital/Media Content Producer for more than 10 years.As a highly creative professional, Soraia's core skills are on producing audiovisual/digital projects, campaigns and social media content strategies both in Portuguese and English languages. Besides, she is very experienced with translating and proofreading all sorts of texts for both languages (press releases, e-mails, presentations, promotional info, display ads, videos and internal/external communication materials). Since 2009, Soraia has been writing, producing and developing all sorts of projects/campaigns/ads/work with clients from several backgrounds in the Media industry. More recently, she has developed a keen interest in Digital Marketing, which led her to expand her professional skills on this area too. At heart, Soraia is a storyteller that has learned to shape her talent into various platforms and different communication channels (offline and online media).She believes Art represents a huge spectrum of lifes expressions and exploring its many forms is a continuing process of learning about the world and us individually. So, she likes to think that she is a dreamer because she looks for fulfilling her hearts passions while also being a great doer and turning those passions into concrete solid action steps like a disciplined Virgo. So, here it is: a Dreamer Virgo Artist!
See the rest here:
- 10 of the best talented Calgary tattoo artists to get inked by | Curated - Daily Hive - March 8th, 2021
- CURTIS HONEYCUTT: With friends like these ... | Features | albanyherald.com - The Albany Herald - February 17th, 2021
- Stephen Bear branded sick by fans for pretending girlfriend was pregnant with twins with scan ripped off Goo - The Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Local tattoo shops see increase in business as the COVID-19 pandemic continues - The Morning Sun - February 7th, 2021
- Nagaland Locals Shift House On Foot, Watch Video: Trending Topics, Viral Videos and Funny Memes of The Day - LatestLY - February 7th, 2021
- Justice League's Snyder Cut Is Fixing The Most Hated Part Of Leto's Joker - Screen Rant - February 4th, 2021
- Anderson: Sarasota fugitive still running, only now the chase is on to catch him - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - January 30th, 2021
- Married teacher found guilty of having sex with student in a field - Yahoo News Australia - January 30th, 2021
- 23 Fun Long Nail Designs to Copy in 2021 - The Trend Spotter - January 30th, 2021
- One Of The Proud Boys Who Stormed The Capitol Had Instructions For Making Guns And Bombs In His Home, FBI Says - BuzzFeed News - January 30th, 2021
- These Amazing Quilters Will Inspire You To Take Up A New Pandemic Hobby - HuffPost Canada - January 30th, 2021
- Tattoo industry striving to safely ink their way through pandemic - KXXV News Channel 25 - January 25th, 2021
- Former Xbox, SEGA, And EA Head Peter Moore Returns To Gaming - Screen Rant - January 22nd, 2021
- Feds: Man arrested near US Capitol had truckload of weapons - Daily Mountain Eagle - January 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share 6 of their favorite designs to ink, and 5 they don't really like - Yahoo News - January 12th, 2021
- US Capitol riot: the myths behind the tattoos worn by 'QAnon shaman' Jake Angeli - The Conversation UK - January 12th, 2021
- The Myths Behind the Tattoos Worn by 'QAnon Shaman' Jake Angeli - Snopes.com - January 12th, 2021
- Khanyi Mbaus racy tattoo has got the timeline buzzing - All4Women - January 12th, 2021
- Records: Alabama man on bond arrested after Capitol riot - Daily Mountain Eagle - January 12th, 2021
- How Memorial Tattoos Can Help With The Grieving Process - HuffPost - January 9th, 2021
- A radish in a tutu walking a dog? This AI can draw it really well - ABC17News.com - January 9th, 2021
- Stefflon Don Shows Off Upper Thigh Tattoo In Gucci Swimsuit During Ghana Vacation - The Inquisitr - January 9th, 2021
- George Gerdes, Bosch and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo actor, dies at 72 - Yahoo Entertainment - January 5th, 2021
- Taking a look at the Most Useful Android Apps - Programming Insider - January 5th, 2021
- Suspects charged in connection with Steelton shooting - PennLive - January 5th, 2021
- Skin in the game: why getting a tattoo helped me achieve my goals - The Guardian - January 3rd, 2021
- How the Networks Will Fill Airtime on a Quiet New Years Eve - The New York Times - December 31st, 2020
- Why Werent We All Invited To Neymars New Years Eve Party? - The18 - December 31st, 2020
- Mars is revealing its angel, devil and heart "tattoos" as ice melts at its south pole - SYFY WIRE - December 27th, 2020
- Turn Your RPG Character's Into Inked Showcases With The Tome of Mystical Tattoos - TheGamer - December 27th, 2020
- Bloke asks for his mums advice on what tattoo to get and takes her answer WAY too seriously - The Irish Sun - December 23rd, 2020
- Bloke asks for his mums advice on what tattoo to get and takes her answer WAY too seriously - The Sun - December 21st, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077: The Face Tattoos, Ranked - TheGamer - December 17th, 2020
- The 25 Best Latin Songs of 2020: Staff Picks - Billboard - December 17th, 2020
- Cardi B Is Being Sued For The Use Of A Tattoo On Her Album Cover - mit inc - December 12th, 2020
- This Mom Tattooed Her Toddler & We're Actually On Board With It - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 12th, 2020
- Inked for The Very First Time: Madonna shares behind-the-scenes photos of first tattoo at 62 - The Independent - December 9th, 2020
- Keke Palmer Showcases Upper Thigh Tattoo In Tiny Plaid Dress & Leather Knee-High Boots - The Inquisitr - December 8th, 2020
- Sophie Turner shares a never-before-seen photo with Joe Jonas from her pregnancy - Insider - INSIDER - December 6th, 2020
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic Or Memphis Depay Or Sergio Ramos: Whos Got The Best Tattoo On Their Back? - IWMBuzz - December 3rd, 2020
- Oliver Peck Net Worth | What is Tattoo Artist Oliver Peck's Net Worth? - The Cinemaholic - December 2nd, 2020
- Rulers of the Upper Realm, Thunderbirds Are Powerful Native Spirits - National Audubon Society - December 1st, 2020
- Through Positive Eyes: living with HIV and Aids - a photo essay - The Guardian - December 1st, 2020
- Lockdown-defying tattoo shop raided for second time as owner wrongly cites Magna Carta - The Samford Crimson - November 27th, 2020
- EndSARS Protester Inscribes Tattoo On His Chest To Commemorate The Killing Of Nigerians At The Lekki Toll Gate (Photos) - GH Gossip - November 21st, 2020
- Born into occupation, young Afghans fear the Taliban will crush their freedoms when US troops exit - The Bakersfield Californian - November 21st, 2020
- David Fincher: Studios don't want to make anything that can't make billions - FOX 28 Spokane - November 20th, 2020
- BEST PLACES TO GET TATTOOS ON YOUR BODY - Artvoice - November 16th, 2020
- David Fincher: Studios don't want to make anything that can't make billions - lcbcradio.com - November 16th, 2020
- Family Fun: Rocking joy into the world with vibrantly painted rocks - The Spokesman-Review - November 16th, 2020
- The Inconclusive World of Tattoos in the Workplace - Fordham Observer - November 12th, 2020
- Police issue CCTV images of three men over incident on train via Dalmuir - Clydebank Post - November 12th, 2020
- Images released of men after rammy on board Glasgow train - Glasgow Times - November 11th, 2020
- 'I'd been avoiding looking at myself': Breast cancer survivors reveal how mastectomy tattoos changed them - 7NEWS.com.au - November 11th, 2020
- Red Notice: Ryan Reynolds Edits Young Versions of Him & Dwayne Johnson Into Image - Screen Rant - October 31st, 2020
- The Weeknd Likes to Keep a Lot of Things a Mystery Potential Tattoos Included - POPSUGAR - October 30th, 2020
- MAGNUM To Release Special Album, Dance Of The Black Tattoo, In January - bravewords.com - October 24th, 2020
- Images released of suspect in four North York break-and-enters - Toronto Sun - October 23rd, 2020
- 25 Carefree Bird Tattoos for Men in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - October 16th, 2020
- Before They Were Tatted: 10 Rockers Before + After Their Tattoos - Loudwire - October 14th, 2020
- Perthshire farm worker posing as teen rumbled in online paedophile trap by tattoo of his own name - The Courier - October 10th, 2020
- 20 Unforgettable Moon Tattoos for Women in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - October 9th, 2020
- V,I, Council on the Arts celebrated Arts and Humanities Month - Virgin Islands Daily News - October 9th, 2020
- First fossil feather found belonged to this dinosaur - Deccan Herald - October 6th, 2020
- True Meaning behind Paris Jackson & Godfather Macaulay Culkin's Matching Spoon Tattoos - AmoMama - October 6th, 2020
- Artists Quarantine With Their Art Collections - Hyperallergic - October 4th, 2020
- Survivors, First Responders Use Tattoos To Cover Scars From The Route 91 Shooting - KNPR - October 2nd, 2020
- First Fossil Feather Ever Found Belonged to This Dinosaur - The New York Times - September 30th, 2020
- Dolly Parton Addresses Those Tattoo Rumors, Reveals the Moving Reason Behind Her Tasteful Ink - Yahoo Entertainment - September 24th, 2020
- Chinese city orders taxi drivers to remove tattoos (for the women and children) - bdnews24.com - September 24th, 2020
- Chinese city orders taxi drivers to remove tattoos for the women and children - Deccan Herald - September 22nd, 2020
- People are getting coronavirus-themed tattoos of masks, toilet paper - Insider - INSIDER - September 20th, 2020
- Surveillance Images Show Denver Burglar Who Has 25 Tattooed On Forehead - CBS Denver - September 18th, 2020
- The Black Lives Matter Movement Will Change the Future of Tattooing - Yahoo Lifestyle - September 10th, 2020
- Conroe man hit with huge 60-year sentence - Woodlands Online - September 9th, 2020
- Daytonian of the Week lets her artwork tell the story it wants to communicate - dayton.com - September 9th, 2020
- Artist selected to paint mural on Garrett City Hall - KPCnews.com - September 8th, 2020
- How to deal with your negative inner voice when running - The Irish Times - September 7th, 2020
- Jada Kingdom Shows Off Tattoo Of Boyfriends Name On Her Neck - DancehallMag - September 6th, 2020
- Jungkook Reveals New Tattoo With Meaning That Warms The BTS Army's Hearts - Talent Recap - September 2nd, 2020