Categories: News, Sports
If you live around here, you know The Egg, maybe even have been there (or below it) for an event.
Its enormous, considered by some an elegant, unique piece of sculpted architecture, derided by others as a feeble attempt by Nelson Rockefeller to lend some grace to the otherwise cold, impenetrable monolith of state bureaucracy that is the Empire State Plaza in Albany.
In John Hodgmans intro to a music video for a song called The Egg by the absurdist duo They Might Be Giants (who have played there), he describes it as More than just a venue, The Egg is a gigantic cement performance orb, whose smooth featureless exterior suggests a worrisome lack of fire exits.
The Plaza Convention Center is below The Egg, and on March 6, 1985, the pristine, unformed yolk of a heavyweight fighter dropped into the middle of a boxing ring in front of a less-than-capacity crowd of about 2,000.
Video from ringside shows the baby-faced Mike Tyson in white trunks with a red waistband he was just 18 as he spends a minute and 47 seconds dismantling a tomato can named Hector Mercedes. There are boos as Tyson is awarded a technical knockout, the smallish crowds bloodlust denied the spectacle of Tyson delivering even more punishment.
Fast forward to this Saturday, when the 54-year-old Tyson will face the 51-year-old Roy Jones Jr. in what is supposed to be an exhibition of eight two-minute rounds at the Staples Center in L.A., but to hear both boxers tell it, will be more than just glorified sparring.
The fascination with Tyson will never end. He is now a graybeard convicted rapist with a Maori warrior facial tattoo who owns a cannabis ranch and is stepping into the ring having experienced three years in prison, bankruptcy despite $300 million in earnings and the death of an infant daughter by accidental strangulation.
The Baddest Man on the Planet, who bit off a chunk of Evander Holyfields ear, once joked post-fight about his intention to hit Jesse Ferguson in the nose one more time so that the bone would go up in his brain.
The Jones fight is available on pay-per-view for $49.99, and because this is 2020 and because its a Tyson fight, the referees name is Ray Corona. Because of course.
Who knows what this fight will produce, but I imagine anyone who saw Tyson in his formative years in the Capital Region will nod knowingly and have flashbacks to the relentless, vicious, compact combinations, the right uppercut, the left hook that withered men, body and soul. The visceral fear of his opponents before the opening bell.
Tyson was born in Brooklyn and lived in Catskill for the early part of his boxing career, having spent time at the Tryon School for Boys in Johnstown after having been arrested 38 times by the age of 13.
He became a local story for us because he fought here many times early on, four times under The Egg, three times at the long-gone Latham Coliseum, twice at the Glens Falls Civic Center and twice at RPIs Houston Field House, where he appeared on national TV for the first time when ABC Sports broadcast the Ferguson fight on Feb. 16, 1986, Tysons 18th pro bout.
I just went back and checked, the Gazette had a small one-column, three-paragraph story, Tyson wins pro debut or something, in Albany, my friend and colleague Bill Buell said last week, of the Mercedes fight in 1985.
That level of coverage would change. Bill worked at least a dozen Tyson fights, including his TKO of Mike Jameson at the Trump Plaza Hotel in Atlantic City on Jan. 24, 1986, and his 12-round unanimous decision in the Jame Bonecrusher Smith clinchfest at the Las Vegas Hilton on March 7, 1987.
Tyson eventually moved his headquarters back to New York and never fought in these parts again after needing just 30 seconds to turn Marvis Frazier into overcooked spaghetti at the Glens Falls Civic Center on July 26, 1986, the 25th fight of Tysons career.
The menacing no-robe black trunks and sockless black shoes made their first appearance here for a 50-second destruction of Mark Young in Latham on Dec. 27, 1985, Tysons third fight after reaching the age of 19. Those who did witness Tyson as he approached his peak surely remember the look in the eye of his opponents as much as they do any particular punch that he threw.
I still have PTSD from Mike Tyson coverage, Bill said with a laugh. I can remember thinking, Oh, my God, how could I get this beat? Because I used to love boxing, but just watching him up close and personal and seeing the terror in the eyes of his opponent, it really kind of soured me to boxing.
You could see these guys were afraid of Mike Tyson when they stepped in the ring. And then he would hit them once, and it turned into terror. You knew the guy just wanted to get the hell out of there.
I havent covered live boxing much myself, but clearly remember a Kevin Pompey card in Latham for my first one, and being struck immediately in the first undercard bout that, hey, these guys are actually trying to take each others heads off. You dont get that in the same way from watching it on TV.
In another bout, my thought was This guy just does not want to be in this ring, and, sure enough, he got clobbered after trying to run away for a few rounds. When Pompey knocked out his opponent, dude was out on his feet and didnt even extend his arms to break his fall as he went face-first into the canvas.
Watching Tyson under the same circumstances mustve been next-level.
Mike Tyson never took a step backward, Bill said. He was just fearless and just had this dogged pursuit of his opponent. I probably covered him in person 14 times, and each time I just came away feeling sorry for the opponent, because he was just so incredible.
He wasnt a big guy, but he was huge, if that makes any sense. Its like he was a 6-foot-4 guy, and they got a machine to kind of squish him down. It made him a truly unique physical specimen. He was beating up these guys who were 6-4, 6-5, and just tossing them around the ring.
That wasnt Bills experience in Las Vegas.
Bonecrusher, who knocked out Mike Weaver in the first round in Latham 11 months before his fight against Tyson, became Bonehugger.
It was casino-like. Lot of buzz, lot of activity, Bill said. A Mike Tyson fight was a great place to be. Celebrities were there, the atmosphere was electric, people just loved watching him.
I think it was [trainer] Kevin [Rooney] who said it best, Bonecrusher pulled a stinker. Bonecrusher just hung on to him the whole day, just tried to tie him up. Occasionally, he would throw a punch himself, but they were few and far between. So it was 12 rounds of close dancing. So it was a disappointing fight, in that sense.
I can remember talking to his manager in the elevator after the fight, after we already had the official interview. I said, What do you think? and he said something like, Well, Bonecrushers going to go back to North Carolina a rich man, so were happy.'
As much as Iron Mike was perhaps ruefully embraced by a mesmerized public for his ferocious style and success, he also offered omens of future trouble through his behavior while Albany was his home base.
In 1987, at the age of 19, he was kicked out of Crossgates Mall for sexually propositioning a sales clerk and becoming disruptive, then was kicked out of a movie theater under similar circumstances later that night.
He was pulled over twice in a span of 10 days for drag-racing on Central Avenue (71 mph in a 30 zone) in his white Lamborghini in 1989.
In 1996, he was in an Albany courthouse after being sued by Rooney, fired as trainer in 1988, for $49 million in back pay. Rooney got $4.4 million.
It was just blocks away from where the not-quite-chiseled embryonic man-beast was hatched in front of 2,000 in 1985, with a guy named Hector Mercedes finding no fire exit.
You could tell there was a rage inside of him that took over inside the ring, Bill said. I always had this feeling, he was always polite and gentlemanly toward me. We never had a problem. I never felt like I got close to him. I mean, I went down to Catskill and watched him train. I had him alone for about 45 minutes, we had a great conversation, but I always felt like I didnt really get to know him, so I was always thinking hes probably going to disappoint us at some point.
You hate to say that, but you could tell he was a young kid who was angry. At times. And that anger showed in the ring, thats for sure.
Go here to see the original:
- Jill Duggar shows off her fresh haircut & teases big changes after reality star revealed she may get a... - The Sun - November 23rd, 2021
- 30 things to know about The Pyramid as the Memphis landmark turns 30 - Commercial Appeal - November 9th, 2021
- They created monsters: How New Zealands brutal welfare system produced criminals - The Guardian - October 29th, 2021
- Alone, starved and living with a brothers corpse. Why did no one save the Texas house of horror boys? - The Independent - October 29th, 2021
- Local Kan. elections getting taken over by bruising DC-style politics - Hays Post - October 29th, 2021
- Leaked Video Helped Lead to the Conviction of a Far Right "Proud Boy" - Truthout - October 17th, 2021
- For the Flyers Kevin Hayes, his big brother will never be gone - The Delaware County Daily Times - October 17th, 2021
- The Skys The Limit, On And Off The Court, And These Girls Have Got Next - CBS Chicago - October 17th, 2021
- 8 Best Places To Get A Tattoo for Both Men and Women - TheTealMango - October 5th, 2021
- Real Madrid 1-2 Sheriff: Sebastien Thill has tattoo of himself dreaming of the UCL - GIVEMESPORT - October 5th, 2021
- #BlackInkChi Recap: Ryan Confronts Former Friend After Sleeping With His Ex, Twitter Says Hes For The Streets - HipHopWired - October 5th, 2021
- Review: At the Hella Mega Tour it was all about the cult of Green Day - pacificsandiego.com - September 1st, 2021
- Matt Willis is removing his tattoos in a bid to bag top movie roles... - The Sun - August 20th, 2021
- Lauren Phillips Reveals The Matching 'Bad Tattoo' She Has With A Scottish Boy - KIIS1011 - August 20th, 2021
- R Kelly trial hears singer is a 'predator' who lured girls, boys and young women with his fame - ABC News - August 20th, 2021
- Why Jonah Hills body love tattoo is so important for the male body positive movement - Yahoo Life - August 6th, 2021
- What's New to Stream on Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+ and More in July 2021 - TV Guide - July 22nd, 2021
- Love Island: What tattoos does Danny Bibby have and what do they mean? - Metro.co.uk - July 22nd, 2021
- Capitol riot suspect arrested after giant tattoo revealed on video - The Independent - June 9th, 2021
- The Sacred Male Body Modification Practices That Still Exist Today - InsideHook - May 16th, 2021
- `We were never terrorists`: Proud Boys Canada officially dissolved` - WION - May 4th, 2021
- Farmer Boys celebrating 40th anniversary with free burger tattoo - KTNV Las Vegas - April 19th, 2021
- Here are the nine men from Hudson Valley charged with participating in Jan. 6 Capitol riot - Times Herald-Record - April 19th, 2021
- Crowdfunding Hate in the Name of Christ - The Nation - April 4th, 2021
- Guest Opinion | Reflections on the course Women Unknown: Fight for Independence - UI The Daily Iowan - April 4th, 2021
- Part 3: How a Trini played a role in the life of Nipsey Hussle - Loop News Trinidad and Tobago - April 4th, 2021
- We want to keep him alive Family, friends remember San Antonios Tito Bradshaw two years later - San Antonio Express-News - April 4th, 2021
- Quick on the draw: Castagna the chaotic Tiger with a tattoo gun - The Age - April 4th, 2021
- Love Island Australias Phoebe Thompson reveals WAP lip tattoo as she celebrates birthday - The Irish Sun - March 8th, 2021
- Brave, Powerful, Complicated: The Most Formidable Heroines In Film - British Vogue - March 8th, 2021
- Jaden Hill is LSU's ace pitcher who has a bigger calling in life: 'I'm chosen to help people' - The Advocate - February 19th, 2021
- Gangland: a book about meth and the people whose lives it touches - The Spinoff - February 17th, 2021
- SA tattoo artist to the stars on taking his skill abroad - News24 - February 14th, 2021
- Memories of dad help make University of Houston's Justin Gorham a rebounding machine - Houston Chronicle - February 11th, 2021
- Tauranga's strongest head to the Highlands - The Bay's News First - SunLive - February 6th, 2021
- Nick Carter of Backstreet Boys Got His Paris Hilton Tattoo Just 3 Week Before They Broke up - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 30th, 2021
- 2 Green Country Women Share Stories Through Tattoo Ink; Competing In National Contest - News On 6 - January 30th, 2021
- Gangs? Cliques? Subgroups? Call Them What You Will There've Been 18 (Yes, 18) In The LA Sheriff's Department - LAist - January 22nd, 2021
- Trump's useful thugs: how the Republican party offered a home to the Proud Boys - The Guardian - January 22nd, 2021
- Proud Boys among groups being watched as inauguration approaches. Do they have Northeast Ohio ties? - Akron Beacon Journal - January 20th, 2021
- Who are Proud Boys? The Western chauvinist far-right group explained and what Donald Trump has previously said about them - The Scotsman - January 15th, 2021
- Theyve been hidden too long: Report details Los Angeles Sheriffs deputy gangs and violence toward communities of color - East Bay Times - January 15th, 2021
- Hawaii Proud Boy Charged By DOJ After Raiding US Capitol - Honolulu Civil Beat - January 9th, 2021
- Swimming With My Shirt Off - The New York Times - January 9th, 2021
- How the Internet Reflected on and Coped With the Capitol Attack - Hyperallergic - January 9th, 2021
- The Weekly-ish Mailbag is mailing it in this week. - Off Tackle Empire - December 31st, 2020
- Four months before her wedding, Mary knew it was over - Sydney Morning Herald - December 19th, 2020
- Family, determination and a dream: The Real Woods story - The Stanford Daily - December 16th, 2020
- Skating solo gives me time to study everyone else on the rink - The Globe and Mail - December 16th, 2020
- LOCAL NEWS BRIEFS: Price is Right Live show rescheduled - Goshen News - December 16th, 2020
- Controversial Mom Made One Of Her Twin Toddlers Get A Tattoo For Very Important Reason - BabyGaga - December 11th, 2020
- Mum of twins tattoos one so she can tell them apart leaving mother-in-law fuming - Daily Star - December 11th, 2020
- Farmingtons mayor of 12 years memorializes his experience in tattoo - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - December 8th, 2020
- Im A Celebrity superfan gets tattoo of Ant and Dec at Gwrych Castle inked onto his thigh - The Sun - December 1st, 2020
- 'Home town boys' return to Philippi Main Street - The Inter-Mountain - November 20th, 2020
- The Post-Election Proud Boys Meltdown Is Here, and It's Ugly - The Daily Beast - November 12th, 2020
- I just want to be with my friends: how will children cope with being cooped up again in second lockdown? - The Guardian - November 9th, 2020
- 240+ Inspirational & Meaningful One Word Tattoos (2020 ... - November 6th, 2020
- 75+ Best Small Tattoos For Men (2020) - Simple Cool ... - November 6th, 2020
- Tickets for sale in Snohomish County and around the region - The Daily Herald - November 5th, 2020
- Seances, tattoos and the unbreakable bond between Mikaela Mayer and Al Mitchell - ESPN - October 30th, 2020
- Students rediscover their childhood fandoms on TikTok - Daily Northwestern - October 29th, 2020
- Chase Winovich talks playing time, conspiracy theories with Zolak & Bertrand - 98.5 The Sports Hub - October 22nd, 2020
- The Cycle of Punitive Justice Starts in Schools. Eric Butler Is Showing Kids and Teachers How to Break It. - Mother Jones - October 21st, 2020
- The Proud Boys? - SOFREP - October 16th, 2020
- Theatre Alliance to perform outdoor production of Devil Boys from Beyond - Yes! Weekly - October 16th, 2020
- Freshers' Flu - Why My Mum Invented COVID - Cherwell Online - October 10th, 2020
- Who Are the Proud Boys Trump Told To 'Stand Back and Stand By'? - Snopes.com - October 8th, 2020
- Dan Osbornes tattoo shows hes protective of Jacqueline Jossa & the meaning behind Brooklyn Beckhams spoo - The Sun - October 7th, 2020
- When the Proud Boys came to town - The Economist - October 7th, 2020
- The ten essential facts you need to know about BTS's Suga - Film Daily - October 6th, 2020
- 30 Best Neck Tattoos for Boys and Girls - The Best Tattoo ... - September 30th, 2020
- Best 100+ Tattoo Designs For Men and Boys - Youme And Trends - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys, the extremist group Trump named in the debate - Insider - INSIDER - September 30th, 2020
- Fred Perry Will Denounce Proud Boys, But The President Won't - Highsnobiety - September 30th, 2020
- Hooligans With Heart: Phoenix Risings Red Fury fan club reaches out to refugees - Cronkite News - September 30th, 2020
- Whats New on Netflix UK & Top 10s: September 30th, 2020 - What's on Netflix - September 30th, 2020
- From the Fields: Soaking it up now | agrinews-pubs.com - Agri News - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys and why did Trump tell them to stand by? - The Irish Sun - September 30th, 2020
- The Giant Proud Boy Rally That Wasn't - VICE - September 28th, 2020