Tommy Cassell|The Milford Daily News
Emily Viti knew something wasnt right when she held her newborn son for the first time in 2013.
The first thing I felt was a lump on his back and I said Whats this? shesaid.
After countless medicalvisits with doctors and specialists for a little over a year, Viti finally discovered what was wrong:her sonhad mucopolysaccharidosis (MPS), a rare disease in which the body can't break down sugar molecules.
The condition, which affects one in 100,000 babies, is terminal.
It rocked my world, said Viti, the Framingham High boys and girls volleyball coach.
Her son, Christopher Hohn, is now seven years old. And Viti isfighting to find a cure.
Something terrible, terminal
There were other unhealthy signsover the first year of Christophers life.
His thumbs were still inside of his hands at three months andhis hips were shallow. He never slept for more than two hours and when he did, he made a very loud sound like an adult snoring.
Everybody said it was normal, said Viti, 44. By the time he was four months old, we had a list of six or seven things that were concerns.
We were just told repeatedly, repeatedly, repeatedly that everything was normal.
By Oct. 18, 2014, when Christopher was just over a year old, Viti scheduled an appointment for him at what is now Tufts Childrens Hospital in Boston.Aroutine visit turned into an 11-hour stay for Viti, her son and her partner, Darren Hohn.
I remember at one point Darren and I were looking at each other and thinking that this isnt good, Viti said.
Emily and I looked at each other and said Whats going on here? said Hohn, 46.
Around 8 p.m., Hohn and Viti were told their son had a lysosomal storage disease. Doctors said the best case scenario was that Christopher would live to be 25. The worst case: Hed die in a fewmonths.
I was like, What? Viti recalled. Although he had these issues, they all seemed so small. It never occurred to me that it could be something terminal.
We were numb about it, Hohnsaid. For the first week, there was a lot of sadness. Im not a crier and I cried my eyes out. Thats my kid. Thats when you get in the mindset of give me cancer or give me something so my kid can live a normal life.
Doctors urgedHohnand Viti not to Google anything until they received an official diagnosis a few weeks later. But Viti scoured the internet as soon as she got home on Oct. 18, 2014.
I did an MPS Google image search and the picture looked just like Christopher, Viti said. At that moment, denial was out the window and I knew MPS was what Christopher had. When you research MPS, its not a good situation.
I was having a total meltdown on the living room couch.
Two weeks later, on Halloween, doctors confirmed the diagnosis.
Enzyme replacement therapy (ERT) infusions were then scheduled for Christopher before he underwent a stem cell transplant the day after Christmas. Following his transplant, which included 10 days of chemotherapy, Christopher was sent home in February and ordered to quarantine for a full year in order torebuild his immune system.
If he wanted to see anybody, it was through a window, his father said.
Hohn was in the process of renovating their house in Milford when his first-born son was diagnosedwith MPS. In order for Christopher to return home from the hospital in February of 2015, the remodeling had to be finished and the house had to be prepped for quarantine.
So Hohnaccelerated his renovation timetable.
My whole thing with renovating the house was rapid, hesaid. I had help from friends, neighbors, they knew the situation. It was pretty hectic, pretty crazy, but I got it done.
For the rest of 2015, Hohn, Viti, Christopher and their dog, Norman, were in a somewhat strict quarantine as Christopher recovered from his stem cell transplant.
Only two other people were allowed to be a part of theirbubble and there were certain restrictions Hohnand Vitihad to follow. They couldnt have things like sponges, cats or living plants, among other things, inside their home. The family couldnt buy a tree for Christmas and their dog was only allowed to go outside in their backyard.
Trips to the grocery store and to Framingham High volleyball games and practices were the only reason why Viti left her home for a year.
That was a really difficult time in our lives, said Viti, who teaches health and physical education at Framingham High. It was the extreme of what people are doing now. Quarantining like this is sort of like small potatoes compared to what we had to do.
This is easy living right now.
Playing with a purpose
A few months after Christophers quarantine was lifted, Viti helped steer the Framingham High boys volleyball team to its first ever state championship with a 3-0 win over Needham on June 15, 2016.
After the victory, Christopher tugged at the pant leg of his mother on the volleyball court at Concord-Carlisle High School. Viti lifted himup and placed a championship medal around his neck as she fielded questions from reporters.
They have rallied around Christopher, Viti told the Daily News at the time. Ive always thought that if Christopher cant play sports when hes older or whatever, he still has a team that he belongs to. They have MPS on their jerseys, they have MPS socks on. Hes part of their team. And I think that that is unbelievable.
A year prior, six players from the Framingham High boys volleyball team quit. It was a rough stretch for Viti as she juggled running her volleyball program and raising a son in quarantine. So winning the state title a year later was a sense of validation for Viti and her remaining players, who played with a greater purpose in 2016.
Were playing for Emily, everything shes been through, said former Framingham High libero Jason Shapiro after the state title victory. Shes been through more than anyone I know. All of this is for her.
I know that well all remember this season for the rest of our lives.
Just a normal kid
Christopher currently is a first-grader at Brookside Elementary School in Milford. Hes taking classes remotely due to coronavirus restrictions at his school.
Each morning he wakes up by 7:30and watches TV and eats breakfast before his virtual classes begin. Throughout the day, he enjoys play breaks with his younger brother, Jacob, who is also learning remotely. In the afternoon, Christopher completes his school work with some assistance from his mother.
Its fun, Viti said. Its busy.
To this day, Christopher has undergone more than a dozen different operations including one last year to remove thelump on his back.
No child should have to go through 13 procedures or more, his fathersaid.
Some people with MPS are small in stature. Christopher is 43 inches tall and weighs 45 pounds. Jacob, who is two years younger,is only an inch shorter.
Hes definitely starting to notice that hes the smallest, his mothersaid.
Christopher likes to ride his bike, eat ice cream and run around with his friends. He does scamper with a bit of a limp, though.
He walks like an old, arthritic man, Viti said.
Christopher has an old soul, too, especially when it comes to music. He enjoys The Beatles, Bob Marley and Twisted Sister. He dressed up as Dee Snider, Twisted Sisters lead vocalist, for Halloween this year.
Hes a character, hes certainly a character, Hohnsaid. He knows how to run a crowd.
Christopher is charismatic, incredibly funny and I think hes one of the deepest, most sensitive people Ive ever met, Viti said. I always say he has an over-developed sense of empathy.
Each October, Christopher and his family participate in a fundraiser called Smash out MPS at Cedar Hill Farm in Mendon.
During this years event on Oct. 17, the mother of one of Christophers former caretakers accidentally dialed 9-1-1 on her phone. So Mendon police officer Nick Erskine showed up to the picturesque farm unannounced.
After Erskine realized he received an accidental call, he introduced himself to the center of attention.
Whats going on? Having some fun today? Erskine asked Christopher.
Christopher proceeded to put his hands up in the air and knelt to the ground in front of the officer. His joke elicitedlaughterfrom the crowd of people, which included former Lincoln-Sudbury head volleyball coach Judy Katalina.
Katalina, who became friends with Viti through volleyball, has a tattoo on her right arm that commemorates Christopher. Katalinas tattoo features a purple ribbon with Christophers initials inked in black and the word Believe etched in black below.
Christopher is just a little spit-fire, Katalina said. Youd never know that he was sick because he just loves to live and hes just a good kid.
After Christophers antics, the police officer showed the seven-year-old where all the bad boys sit in his police cruiser before presenting himwith a voucher for free ice cream.
Im going to show this to my parents, Christopher said.
Later on, Viti thanked the crowd for showing up to support her family's effort toraiseawareness for MPS before Christopher chimed in.
Lets get smashing! he yelled.
The pack of people proceeded to smash purple-painted pumpkins on the ground. The event raised $700 in hopes of helping to find a cure for MPS.
This little boy is such an inspiration to many and he never lets it bother him, said Michelle Manoogian, who owns Cedar Hill Farm with her husband, Mark. (Christopher) is just a normal kid with a giant heart.
As of right now, Christopher doesnt have any procedures scheduled. His parentsbiggest fear is always the next operation.
Despite the grim prognosis,Emily Viti and Darren Hohn aredoing whatthey can to provide a normal life for Christopher. All while raising awareness about MPS inhopes of finding a cure.
I want him to be a well-rounded individual, Hohnsaid. I want him to live as a normal child and a normal teenager.
I want him to be able to enjoy life even though he is in pain, Viti said. Everything is against him and he just keeps fighting. Hell do anything and everything.
(If you'd like to donate to the National MPS society, please click here.)
Tommy Cassell is a senior multimedia journalist for the Daily News. He can be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @tommycassell44.
Continue reading here:
- Torn jeans, tattoos and parental taboos J. - The Jewish News of Northern California - October 5th, 2021
- US-Mexico border closure turned busy streets into ghost town - Business Insider - September 1st, 2021
- History Of Tattoo. The Time Of The Appearance Of The First Tattoos. - The Seeker Newsmagazine Cornwall - The Seeker - August 20th, 2021
- Australian Baroques Space Music blends historical composition and astronomical images at the Girls School - The West Australian - August 6th, 2021
- Abi Rawlings: Who is the Love Island 2021 star? - The Independent - August 6th, 2021
- The Unending Allure Of the Tattoo Boyfriend and the Pretty Girlfriend - Jezebel - July 8th, 2021
- Rauw Alejandro, Like the Rest of Us, Has A Big Crush on J.Lo - Interview - July 8th, 2021
- Love Island hunk to wow girls in villa by showing them tattoo of his MUM... - The Sun - June 26th, 2021
- Brooke Shields finds an unusual and very personal way to bond with her teenage daughter - Woman & Home - June 26th, 2021
- Katie Prices fiance Carl Woods trolled over new tattoo of her with fans saying it looks like her rival J... - The Irish Sun - June 26th, 2021
- Tokyo Tattoo Girls on Steam - June 9th, 2021
- Blueface Responds to Video of Women Getting Tattoos, in Bunk Beds - XXL - XXLMAG.COM - May 4th, 2021
- Grandpa wants to bribe girls not to get a tattoo - The Boston Globe - May 4th, 2021
- Heres The Full Story Behind That Viral TikTok Of A Girl Getting Upskirted At A Syd Tattoo Shop - Pedestrian TV - April 19th, 2021
- Ruby Rose on gender, bullying and breaking free: I had a problem with authority - The Guardian - April 4th, 2021
- Traditional Croatian Tattoos: Meet the tattoo artist keeping tradition alive - Croatia Week - March 8th, 2021
- David and Victoria Beckham Have a Matching Hebrew Tattoo Here's What It Means - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 8th, 2021
- Exotic Body Works celebrates 25th anniversary - Hammonton Gazette - February 14th, 2021
- Gigi Hadid and Zayn Malik now have matching tattoos in honour of their daughter Emirates Woman - Emirates Woman - February 11th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Irish Sun - February 11th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Sun - February 10th, 2021
- 10 Celebs Who Have Finger Tattoos | TheThings - TheThings - February 7th, 2021
- Kamala Harris' Stepdaughter Ella Emhoff Is Making Waves Get To Know The Rising Model In 5 Snaps - OK! - February 4th, 2021
- Problems with girls and the Troubles with men - The Irish Times - February 4th, 2021
- New Movies to Watch This Week: Supernova, The Little Things, Palmer - Variety - February 2nd, 2021
- Cops investigated kidnappings, extortions, teen runaways across California. Victims all ended up at same motel, forced into sex trafficking, feds say... - January 27th, 2021
- 'Miss Scarlet and the Duke' Recap: Episode 2 - WTTW News - January 25th, 2021
- The tattoo on her arm said it all: Grace Orzechowski was a fighter - Concord Monitor - January 20th, 2021
- Modern, Edgy And Bold: Different Bob Cuts For Girls To Try - Femina - January 15th, 2021
- What's New on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Disney+, and More in January 2021 - TV Guide - January 15th, 2021
- KVD Vegan Beauty Announces Launch of Limited-Edition Tattoo Liner with Global Organization, Girl Up - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2021
- Sonakshi Sinha Paints The Town Yellow in an Embroidered Cape Set from the Shelves of Arpita Mehta Worth Rs 39 - India.com - January 12th, 2021
- Musician tattoo stories | Wild and funny tattoos - Alternative Press - January 12th, 2021
- 40+ YA Book Cover Artists and Designers to Follow on Instagram - Book Riot - January 12th, 2021
- FIRST LOOK: Meet the contestants for new reality dating show The Cabins - FM104 - January 5th, 2021
- The Cabins cast: Meet all the contestants in the winter Love Island dating show - The Sun - January 5th, 2021
- What's New on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Disney+, and More in January 2021 - TV Guide - January 3rd, 2021
- Gothika Ending, Explained | Why Did Miranda See the Boy's Ghost? - The Cinemaholic - December 31st, 2020
- Tour Tales | Crowned YB shares untold stories of shooting Dave East around the world - REVOLT TV - December 31st, 2020
- An Interview with Gareth Johnson MP by Neve Wilson, Dartford Grammar School for Girls - This is Local London - December 31st, 2020
- Everything coming to and leaving Netflix in January 2021 - Fox News - December 28th, 2020
- Well At Least Some Positives for Women in 2020 - The Citizen - December 27th, 2020
- Jollof Couscous & Leather Jackets: Inside The Mind Of Enny - British Vogue - December 25th, 2020
- This is Justin Vernon from Bon Ivers favourite song of all time - Far Out Magazine - December 25th, 2020
- Family beg dad who disappeared after saying he was 'going away' to call this Christmas - Liverpool Echo - December 25th, 2020
- Shows like Black Widows that you may like; from Django Unchained to Gone Girl & more - Republic World - December 25th, 2020
- Michaela Garechts mother reacts to arrest of suspect in 1988 Hayward kidnapping of 9-year-old daughter - San Francisco Chronicle - December 25th, 2020
- The Interview Gift Guide That Gives Back - Interview - December 23rd, 2020
- 25 Feather Tattoos for Girls in 2020 NewShables - December 21st, 2020
- How sexy these tattoos on intimate body parts of women ... - December 21st, 2020
- How I Met Your Mother: 10 Worst First Dates The Characters Had - Screen Rant - December 21st, 2020
- Sabrina Carpenter's Got Her Very First Tattoo, and It's a Reference to Her "Lucky" Life - POPSUGAR Beauty Austrailia - December 18th, 2020
- Whats New On Netflix In January: Night Stalker, History of Swear Words, Cobra Kai And More - BroBible - December 18th, 2020
- Roxanne First Shares Her Inspirations - Vanity Fair - December 16th, 2020
- So, What the Hell Folk Tales Is Taylor Swift Telling Now on evermore? - Vulture - December 12th, 2020
- The Work Diary of Mira Mariah, Tattoo and Girl Culture Expert - The New York Times - December 11th, 2020
- Strongest girl in the world: Meet the 7-year-old who can lift 80 kg - The Indian Express - December 11th, 2020
- Mum of twins divides opinion after tattooing one baby to help tell them apart - Heart - December 11th, 2020
- Three Oaks wants INKED to raise awareness - Toronto Star - December 11th, 2020
- [150+] Beautiful Wrist Tattoo Ideas ... - Tattoos for Girls - December 6th, 2020
- The girl with her own tattoos: the joy of homemade ink - The Guardian - December 6th, 2020
- 35 Hand Tattoos for Women | Cute Tattoos For Girls On Hand - December 6th, 2020
- Mara and Dona: Argentine twins a living tribute to soccer great - Reuters - November 28th, 2020
- Born into occupation, young Afghans fear the Taliban will crush their freedoms when US troops exit - Anchorage Daily News - November 23rd, 2020
- Environmental contest's winning displays and essays are on exhibit at Jeff Library - NOLA.com - November 18th, 2020
- Tiffany Calver: Living the dream | DJMag.com - DJ Mag - November 18th, 2020
- Blind date: 'We realised we have matching tattoos' - The Guardian - November 16th, 2020
- Tattooed twins from Germany (PHOTOS) - The Saxon - November 12th, 2020
- A Clover in weeds, loss, homelessness, beatings and love - Tucson Weekly - November 5th, 2020
- The Real Housewives of New York City's First-Ever Black Housewife Isn't Holding Back - The Daily Beast - November 3rd, 2020
- Every time Bollywood actresses proved that they are protective mothers - Times Now - November 3rd, 2020
- Broadley, BF girls three-peat on Thetford trail - Brattleboro Reformer - November 1st, 2020
- Jack Nowell: Would I get a tattoo of Eddie Jones? Only if he promises to pick me for every England game - iNews - October 31st, 2020
- Ronald Hall, Worcester man accused of human trafficking, kept women addicted to drugs and had his nickname ta - MassLive.com - October 30th, 2020
- Learner Dad: 'I need to get the kids to write an early Santa letter so they cant change their minds' - Irish Examiner - October 27th, 2020
- 133 Inspiring Cute and Small Tattoos Ideas for Girls - October 22nd, 2020
- 30 Beautiful Tattoos for Girls 2020 - Meaningful Tattoo ... - October 22nd, 2020
- Jill Duggar's Tattoo Opinions Have Changed, but Does She Have One? - Distractify - October 22nd, 2020
- Sophie Turner wears vote hoodie on stroll with Joe Jonas and baby girl - Metro.co.uk - October 22nd, 2020
- Jacqueline Jossa reveals her incredible singing voice in the car after admitting she wants to sing on stage - The Irish Sun - October 22nd, 2020