In an ideal world, Mira Mariah would always be celebrating.
I so deeply love parties, and I love how much of parties are about girl culture, she said in a video interview. Thats something I love to study, and love to be a part of, and love to talk about, and love to make art about.
The 28-year-old, who tattoos as @girlknewyork at the Fleur Noire tattoo parlor in Brooklyn, designs art for people who, like herself, want to adorn themselves with symbols of indulgent days and effervescent nights. As proclaimed in her Instagram bio, this makes her not only a tattoo artist but a girl culture expert.
Her illustrations are inspired by a world where drunk strangers forge friendships in the bathroom and serendipitous celebrations compel people to pop the bottle of Champagne thats been sitting in the back of their fridges.
Im naturally interested in helping people look cool and feel like they look cool, she said in one of our interviews late last month, so I wanted to find different ways to get people from Point A to Point B.
Interviews are conducted by email, text and phone, then condensed and edited.
7:30 a.m. I usually take Sundays and Mondays off, so Tuesdays are the beginning of my workweek. I wake up, make breakfast and grab some cold brew from the fridge. I walk my dogs a Pomeranian named Sulei and a Chihuahua named Chi Chi. I do some light yoga and get dressed.
11 a.m. I arrive at 250 Broome Street, where I have a space thats shared with a hair salon.
11:30 a.m. My business manager, Camilla, comes to meet me. She brings six candle samples to review, since were trying to develop a scent that feels like Girl Knew York. We have the same favorite smell, which is like a spicy-honey-leather scent. I told the candlemakers I wanted something that smells like New York in the morning during the fall, when youre wearing a leather jacket holding bodega coffee and a cigarette.
1 p.m. We have a call with Nordstrom about a project for the holidays. I want to do more styling and fashion work, and this is a cool opportunity to put this goal into action.
2 p.m. I email photographers and models about a photo shoot for my collaboration with MeUndies while working on the pitch deck. I like to work with mood boards, since they help me visualize which photographers, models, accessories and locations Id want to use.
4 p.m. I have some mushroom toast with bacon and my third coffee of the day. I like to take some time to gossip and catch up about nonwork things with Camilla.
6:30 p.m. Camilla and I meet with another illustrator and frequent client for a drink. Broome Street has bars with outdoor seating, and its a nice 75 degrees in November. I have an espresso martini, and we plan the clients tattoo of Bob Dylan, which were doing on Sunday.
8:30 p.m. I go home to my boyfriend. Margot is already sleeping and my sister is out with her friends, so we get some quiet time. I send emails and look at possible art studios for us to share. Hes getting into making furniture and has been doing quarantine carpentry in his apartment, which is loud, messy and not great for the neighbors.
10:30 p.m. I draw some tattoo flash predrawn tattoos for people to choose from for the December booking email, which should have already gone out.
2:16 a.m. I accidentally stay up working on a Nordstrom deck.
7 a.m. I snooze my alarm and sleep in a bit.
8 a.m. After sleeping in, I realize that I forgot to send paperwork to my daughters school. I spiral a little about why I always forget details like this! Big guilt!
10:30 a.m. My boyfriend built a table for my shop, so he delivers and finishes it while I meet with my booking girl. She requests 50 pieces of flash for December. Ive done about 20, so Ill be drawing tonight.
Noon. I eat a breakfast burrito and buy some supplies for my tattoo shop. I text my friends pictures from the deck that I was working on last night to make sure its good.
2 p.m. I FaceTime my photographer. They used to be my daughters nanny, and also I used to be in love with them. Now, were good friends and work together really well. They agree to shoot my Nordstrom content and possibly my MeUndies content, but Im not sure if using the same person all the time is weird. I guess its OK because Kim Kardashian does it.
4:30 p.m. I draw to make a dent in this endless flash void. My booking girl is spackling the walls because shes handy, and my daughter is watching Adventure Time more mom guilt, but she seems so happy. Ill read her extra books at bedtime to make up for this!
7:30 p.m. I get back home, feed the girls dinner and make good on my promise of five bedtime books. Im really tired and fall asleep in my daughters bed halfway through lullabies.
10 p.m. I wake from my accidental nap to draw on the couch while my sister watches Baby Driver. I draw some swans that I saw Monday morning when my boyfriend and I drove to Mastic Beach for the sunrise.
6:30 a.m. I wake up and bribe my daughter to brush her teeth and hair.
8 a.m. I drop Margot at school. Im taking cars today because the leg that I wear a prosthetic on is hurting me. Im wearing a temporary leg until I find a way to get a permanent one through insurance.
Business & Economy
Dec. 10, 2020, 4:09 p.m. ET
9 a.m. I arrive at my shop to paint the walls.
1 p.m. I start my first tattoo appointment of the day, doing a scorpion and woman wrapping around an ankle with flames.
3 p.m. My next client comes in for a spider tattoo. My daughter comes to the studio after school to see me, since Im going to be working past bedtime, and shes thrilled to see the spider. After I finish, Margot tells me about her school day while we eat deli sandwiches. I draw some flash while we hang out.
6 p.m. My client cancels at the last minute, so I ask someone from the salon next door to wash and blow out my hair. All my beauty services are on trade, but I still tip generously.
7 p.m. My last client of the evening is so cute; she gets a tattoo of a cloud and an ornate mirror.
9 p.m. I go to my boyfriends house to see more of his quarantine carpentry projects before we drive back to my house.
11 p.m. I take a really hot bath my body is in PAIN! I cracked the temporary prosthetic today while on my knees painting.
Midnight. I should draw and do some emails, but I just go to bed.
7 a.m. I get up and get myself and my daughter dressed.
9 a.m. After dropping her off, I meet my friend for breakfast. She just started a linen company, so she delivers a set that I ordered. New linens sound nice to me because I think were going back into house arrest soon, which is good and healthy for my city but terrifying for my mental and financial health.
10 a.m. I arrive at my shop and add another coat of paint. I style my jewelry collection on the tables so my clients coming in can see them. I send some emails and send out the decks Ive been working on all week.
2 p.m. My first client comes in for a strawberry tattoo.
4 p.m. My daughter comes to visit me at work! We get food and chat while I post content and draw the design for my next client.
5 p.m. I tattoo a beheaded Marie Antoinette. I listen to the Strokes to honor Sofia Coppola.
7 p.m. After I finish tattooing, my apprentice and I give the shop a good clean. We discuss tattoos that we want to give each other shes really young, but I learn so much from her. The notes come back from the project I sent out, and a lot of it will need to be redone. Im frustrated and FaceTime my business manager, who promises to help and says its not a bad thing.
8 p.m. I get home, and my daughter is awake! Im elated, and we eat Oatly ice cream and dance to Paris Hiltons Stars Are Blind. I put her to bed a little late so I can enjoy my extra time with her.
10 p.m. I dont watch much TV, but everyone is talking about The Queens Gambit, so I watch one episode while wearing three Lidocaine patches because my leg is really hurting. I text with my prosthetist about how we can get a new prosthetic approved. I should draw, but Im in a lot of pain and go to bed.
8 a.m. I get up with my daughter and start making adjustments on the project.
10:30 a.m. I do yoga for 10 minutes and give up and get dressed.
12:30 p.m. I think Im tattooing the most interesting man in the world. He gets a huge leopard with vines instead of spots. I feel so blessed that my clients share so much of their lives with me. He tells me about breaking in horses in Costa Rica, dancing in the Nutcracker ballet at West Point and acting in Paris.
4 p.m. My second client comes for a tattoo, but theyre feeling off and Im feeling off about it. I dont like to tattoo anything big like that, so I offer them a small tattoo for free and a reschedule.
6 p.m. Im home just in time! Rosaluna Mezcal gifted me dinner and drinks to share with friends in exchange for posts. My closest friends my apprentice and business manager and sister all get really dressed up so it can feel like the old days, when we used to go to parties. We make mezcal Negronis. Its just girls that have been in my pod since June, but wearing lipstick and eating and dancing is such a luxury these days.
9 p.m. I excuse myself from the dinner party to put my daughter to bed. I lay in her bed sending emails while she falls asleep and then rejoin my friends.
3 a.m. My sister passes out. Everyone goes home, and I go to bed.
- Heres The Full Story Behind That Viral TikTok Of A Girl Getting Upskirted At A Syd Tattoo Shop - Pedestrian TV - April 19th, 2021
- Ruby Rose on gender, bullying and breaking free: I had a problem with authority - The Guardian - April 4th, 2021
- Traditional Croatian Tattoos: Meet the tattoo artist keeping tradition alive - Croatia Week - March 8th, 2021
- David and Victoria Beckham Have a Matching Hebrew Tattoo Here's What It Means - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 8th, 2021
- Exotic Body Works celebrates 25th anniversary - Hammonton Gazette - February 14th, 2021
- Gigi Hadid and Zayn Malik now have matching tattoos in honour of their daughter Emirates Woman - Emirates Woman - February 11th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Irish Sun - February 11th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Sun - February 10th, 2021
- 10 Celebs Who Have Finger Tattoos | TheThings - TheThings - February 7th, 2021
- Kamala Harris' Stepdaughter Ella Emhoff Is Making Waves Get To Know The Rising Model In 5 Snaps - OK! - February 4th, 2021
- Problems with girls and the Troubles with men - The Irish Times - February 4th, 2021
- New Movies to Watch This Week: Supernova, The Little Things, Palmer - Variety - February 2nd, 2021
- Cops investigated kidnappings, extortions, teen runaways across California. Victims all ended up at same motel, forced into sex trafficking, feds say... - January 27th, 2021
- 'Miss Scarlet and the Duke' Recap: Episode 2 - WTTW News - January 25th, 2021
- The tattoo on her arm said it all: Grace Orzechowski was a fighter - Concord Monitor - January 20th, 2021
- Modern, Edgy And Bold: Different Bob Cuts For Girls To Try - Femina - January 15th, 2021
- What's New on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Disney+, and More in January 2021 - TV Guide - January 15th, 2021
- KVD Vegan Beauty Announces Launch of Limited-Edition Tattoo Liner with Global Organization, Girl Up - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2021
- Sonakshi Sinha Paints The Town Yellow in an Embroidered Cape Set from the Shelves of Arpita Mehta Worth Rs 39 - India.com - January 12th, 2021
- Musician tattoo stories | Wild and funny tattoos - Alternative Press - January 12th, 2021
- 40+ YA Book Cover Artists and Designers to Follow on Instagram - Book Riot - January 12th, 2021
- FIRST LOOK: Meet the contestants for new reality dating show The Cabins - FM104 - January 5th, 2021
- The Cabins cast: Meet all the contestants in the winter Love Island dating show - The Sun - January 5th, 2021
- What's New on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Disney+, and More in January 2021 - TV Guide - January 3rd, 2021
- Gothika Ending, Explained | Why Did Miranda See the Boy's Ghost? - The Cinemaholic - December 31st, 2020
- Tour Tales | Crowned YB shares untold stories of shooting Dave East around the world - REVOLT TV - December 31st, 2020
- An Interview with Gareth Johnson MP by Neve Wilson, Dartford Grammar School for Girls - This is Local London - December 31st, 2020
- Everything coming to and leaving Netflix in January 2021 - Fox News - December 28th, 2020
- Well At Least Some Positives for Women in 2020 - The Citizen - December 27th, 2020
- Jollof Couscous & Leather Jackets: Inside The Mind Of Enny - British Vogue - December 25th, 2020
- This is Justin Vernon from Bon Ivers favourite song of all time - Far Out Magazine - December 25th, 2020
- Family beg dad who disappeared after saying he was 'going away' to call this Christmas - Liverpool Echo - December 25th, 2020
- Shows like Black Widows that you may like; from Django Unchained to Gone Girl & more - Republic World - December 25th, 2020
- Michaela Garechts mother reacts to arrest of suspect in 1988 Hayward kidnapping of 9-year-old daughter - San Francisco Chronicle - December 25th, 2020
- The Interview Gift Guide That Gives Back - Interview - December 23rd, 2020
- 25 Feather Tattoos for Girls in 2020 NewShables - December 21st, 2020
- How sexy these tattoos on intimate body parts of women ... - December 21st, 2020
- How I Met Your Mother: 10 Worst First Dates The Characters Had - Screen Rant - December 21st, 2020
- Sabrina Carpenter's Got Her Very First Tattoo, and It's a Reference to Her "Lucky" Life - POPSUGAR Beauty Austrailia - December 18th, 2020
- Whats New On Netflix In January: Night Stalker, History of Swear Words, Cobra Kai And More - BroBible - December 18th, 2020
- Roxanne First Shares Her Inspirations - Vanity Fair - December 16th, 2020
- So, What the Hell Folk Tales Is Taylor Swift Telling Now on evermore? - Vulture - December 12th, 2020
- Strongest girl in the world: Meet the 7-year-old who can lift 80 kg - The Indian Express - December 11th, 2020
- Mum of twins divides opinion after tattooing one baby to help tell them apart - Heart - December 11th, 2020
- Three Oaks wants INKED to raise awareness - Toronto Star - December 11th, 2020
- [150+] Beautiful Wrist Tattoo Ideas ... - Tattoos for Girls - December 6th, 2020
- The girl with her own tattoos: the joy of homemade ink - The Guardian - December 6th, 2020
- 35 Hand Tattoos for Women | Cute Tattoos For Girls On Hand - December 6th, 2020
- Emily Viti's son has MPS and the Framingham High volleyball coach is fighting to find a cure for the terminal disease - Milford Daily News - December 6th, 2020
- Mara and Dona: Argentine twins a living tribute to soccer great - Reuters - November 28th, 2020
- Born into occupation, young Afghans fear the Taliban will crush their freedoms when US troops exit - Anchorage Daily News - November 23rd, 2020
- Environmental contest's winning displays and essays are on exhibit at Jeff Library - NOLA.com - November 18th, 2020
- Tiffany Calver: Living the dream | DJMag.com - DJ Mag - November 18th, 2020
- Blind date: 'We realised we have matching tattoos' - The Guardian - November 16th, 2020
- Tattooed twins from Germany (PHOTOS) - The Saxon - November 12th, 2020
- A Clover in weeds, loss, homelessness, beatings and love - Tucson Weekly - November 5th, 2020
- The Real Housewives of New York City's First-Ever Black Housewife Isn't Holding Back - The Daily Beast - November 3rd, 2020
- Every time Bollywood actresses proved that they are protective mothers - Times Now - November 3rd, 2020
- Broadley, BF girls three-peat on Thetford trail - Brattleboro Reformer - November 1st, 2020
- Jack Nowell: Would I get a tattoo of Eddie Jones? Only if he promises to pick me for every England game - iNews - October 31st, 2020
- Ronald Hall, Worcester man accused of human trafficking, kept women addicted to drugs and had his nickname ta - MassLive.com - October 30th, 2020
- Learner Dad: 'I need to get the kids to write an early Santa letter so they cant change their minds' - Irish Examiner - October 27th, 2020
- 133 Inspiring Cute and Small Tattoos Ideas for Girls - October 22nd, 2020
- 30 Beautiful Tattoos for Girls 2020 - Meaningful Tattoo ... - October 22nd, 2020
- Jill Duggar's Tattoo Opinions Have Changed, but Does She Have One? - Distractify - October 22nd, 2020
- Sophie Turner wears vote hoodie on stroll with Joe Jonas and baby girl - Metro.co.uk - October 22nd, 2020
- Jacqueline Jossa reveals her incredible singing voice in the car after admitting she wants to sing on stage - The Irish Sun - October 22nd, 2020
- Jacqueline Jossa reveals her incredible singing voice in the car after admitting she wants to sing on stage - The Sun - October 21st, 2020
- Vanessa Bryant reveals new tattoo dedicated to Kobe and their 4 girls (photo) - Rolling Out - October 16th, 2020
- Pomp it Up: On the wild side with Motley Crue - Pueblo Chieftain - October 16th, 2020
- Coronavirus is killing haunted houses, but we still have real horror stories to scare you - Detroit Free Press - October 16th, 2020
- Glimpse inside Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's Tattoos and the True Meaning behind Them - AmoMama - October 14th, 2020
- Mike Tyson Almost Got an Even Crazier Tattoo on His Face Thankfully He Didn't - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 14th, 2020
- Mike Tyson's Tribal Face Tattoo Got a Wild Reaction From a Woman in the Tribe - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 14th, 2020
- 10 Gilmore Girl Tattoo Ideas That Would Earn Lorelai and Rory's Stamp of Approval - POPSUGAR - October 10th, 2020
- 10 Gilmore Girl Tattoo Ideas That Would Earn Lorelai and Rory's Stamp of Approval - POPSUGAR Beauty Austrailia - October 9th, 2020
- Cancer survivor views tattoos as another recovery technique - Leader Publications - October 7th, 2020
- Revisiting Hellboy, the mixtape that captured Lil Peep's breakout energy - Dazed - October 7th, 2020
- 'Mr Snake': Meet the teacher who is France's most tattooed man - The Phnom Penh Post - October 6th, 2020
- Healing wheels: 63-year-old skates her way to cancer recovery - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - October 6th, 2020