Let us guide you like a nymph through the woods of Swifts ninth album. Photo: YouTube
Every Taylor Swift song throughout history can be described as music to braid your best friends hair to, but with the surprise release of Swifts ninth studio album evermore, finally, girls with long, creepy braids and sweet crushes on their best friends are getting the representation they deserve.
Swift announced on Instagram Thursday morning, like a shot of elderflower syrup to the heart, that shed be following up the surprise July release of folklore with its surprise sister album, evermore, at midnight, December 11. Immediately, I returned from the haunted forest Id been living in since July via horse and buggy seeking Wi-Fi. After a few listens, I must say, evermore absolutely fucks. If this is truly folklores sister, then its folklores more powerful, hulking sister. If folklore is Piper Halliwell subtle, thoughtful, stressful then evermore is Prue, in that her power is unmatched and she will kill you.
This album is so excellent that Im suspicious: Did someone pry open a cursed locket and damn Taylor to an eternity of Albums of the Year? Either that or Taylor has Jack Antonoff and Aaron Dessner trapped in those pods from The Matrix, siphoning their woodsy power. If its actually the latter, nobody red-pill them sad Swifties need this. evermore is woods-dyke excellence. Heres my analysis of every song.
God, there are so many Easter eggs in the willow music video this is exhausting. The video prominently features Taeok Lee, a dancer from her Red tour; there are numerous folklore callbacks, like Swift following a golden string toward her lover (invisible string); we see her wearing the titular folklore cardigan; a younger Taylor plays in a blanket fort (seven). But something thats gone severely underlooked here is that this music video is very aesthetically similar to Lesbian Bonnet Films, which if you dont know, is an emerging genre of depressing lesbian movies set before Penicillin existed. Between the witchcraft Taylor performs in the music video (shes literally wearing a cloak savagely gay) and the overall bonnet energy happening here, I think willow is actually a trailer for a new A24 lesbian movie that will inexplicably be written by a man.
As one of the three songs co-written by William Bowery whom Taylor revealed to be her b*yfriend J*e A*wyn in the also-surprise folklore long pond sessions Netflix concert film champagne problems is depressing as hell. The piano intro alone is enough to politely tap me over the edge. J*e also co-wrote exile and betty on folklore. As a person who deeply wishes Taylor were queer, admittedly, Ive had trouble accepting J*e into my heart. But with lyrics like November flush and your flannel cure, and a tendency to romanticize the worst things that have ever happened to you, I do feel like J*e can relate to me. Im not quite ready to spell his name without an asterisk, but these things take time. What was I talking about? Oh yeah, this song is about heartbreak or whatever.
Yes, some fans have speculated that with lyrics like everybody wants you and what must it be like to grow up that beautiful, this song is about Harry Styles, who has a song called golden, and is also extremely beautiful. I might have bought that if I didnt know that gold is a trigger word in Kaylorlore which opens a Pandoras box of references to Swifts rumored romantic relationship with former best friend Karlie Kloss. Her reputation album features numerous Sapphic gold references: On Dress and Dancing With Our Hands Tied, songs about loving someone in secret, Swift sings Made your mark on me golden tattoo, and You painted me golden. Kaylors (Taylor and Karlie truthers) believe gold lyrics point to the night Taylor and Karlie were photographed wearing matching gold flash tattoos. So, yeah, read a fucking book.
Like folkore, evermore features anthology stories written from characters perspectives rather than Swifts POV. tis the damn season is tied to dorothea, and is about the experience of coming home for the holidays and rekindling an old flame (more on Dorothea in a bit). Given lyrics like you could call me babe for the weekend, Im stayin at my parents house, and I escaped it too, remember how you watched me leave many people dont know this but this song is actually written from the perspective of Riley in Happiest Season. Played by Aubrey Plaza, Riley wasnt hung up on her hometown old flame, Harper but she definitely should have called Harpers girlfriend Abby babe for the weekend. tis the GODDAMN season for THAT.
Okay, tolerate it made me unexpectedly burst into tears the first time I heard it. In a note to fans, Taylor wrote about an unhappily ever after anthology of marriages gone bad, about infidelity, ambivalent toleration, and even murder. A lovers ambivalent toleration is the most harrowing to me, personally. No one has ever been as ambivalently tolerated as a queer girl who is way too nice to her best friend right before realizing shes queer. Swift basically lobotomized me with the lyric, I know my love should be celebrated, but you tolerate it. Just bury me. Cover me in moss and dew and lay me next to a damp log to suffer through this album.
Right after tolerate it comes Dark Marriage Anthology track two, the murderous no body, no crime, which features a long-awaited collaboration with Swifts besties, Haim. In a YouTube chat, Swift revealed that no body, no crime was inspired by her love of true crime podcasts. The song follows a woman named Este (named for Este Haim) whose husband cheats on her. Swift told Entertainment Weekly, Long story short, Im the 4th Haim sister now, confirmed. Can I just say: Writing fanfic about a Haim girl is extremely fucking queer. Writing yourself in as the fourth Haim sister? Thats gay, luv. This Goodbye Earl derivative work also reveals that one of Estes sisters took out a life insurance policy on the cheating husband, who Taylor Swift then killed Okay. Scheming? A cheating husband? Being in cahoots over a life insurance policy? Im sorry, this song is about A Simple Favor I will not be explaining.
Swift told her fans that happiness was the last song written on evermore, and was actually written last week in a Madewell. Okay that last part isnt true, but as a white woman shaped like a rectangle, I can make Madewell jokes. happiness contains numerous references to The Great Gatsby, like All I want from me now is the green light of forgiveness, a possible allusion to the green light at the edge of Daisys dock, and I hope shell be your beautiful fool. In Gatsby, Daisy says her hope for her daughter is that shell be a fool: Thats the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool. Swift has alluded to Gatsby in the past, like her roaring 20s lyric in the 1, or Feelin so Gatsby for that whole year on This Is Why We Cant Have Nice Things. This title is deceptive, as its actually quite heartbreaking, and is about literature, which feels somewhat exclusionary because gay people cant read.
Much like the folklore track betty, dorothea is written from a male perspective. At this point, Ive had enough time to grow and mature past believing that writing a love song about a girl but insisting its from the male perspective is quite gay. Im actually not mad about it anymore and feel really good about this. In a note to her fans, Swift said Dorothea is the girl who left her small town to chase down Hollywood dreams. Tied to tis the damn season, this song is written from the perspective of the old flame from Dorotheas hometown, a man who will no doubt teach his Big City Girl the importance of Christmas Cheer, which she likely traded in for a lifeless, spiritless, atheist existence in the Big City (which is freezing). Honestly, Dorothea needs to leave this Christian flop behind and go back to being a lifeless atheist. Christmas Cheer?? A hometown b*yfriend who is probably Republican??? In this Great Depression????
Unfortunately this song features many men (although I do feel that in writing about it, I am queering this space): Aaron Dessners band The National, vocals from Matt Berninger, and a co-writing credit from William Bowery a.k.a. J*e okay fine, Im choosing to show growth here Joe Alwyn. The song is a teary ode to a lover who passed away. It also features a reference to my favorite Taylor song ever, Delicate, a song about that fraught early-dating period when the relationship is still so fragile. She sings, Did I close my fist around something delicate? Did I shatter you? And then I shattered so quickly and so violently that I became gay sand.
Sagittarius Season is upon us, folx. Taylor, noted Sag, says she released evermore to celebrate her 31st birthday, which is December 13. As a Sag myself (my birthday is the day after Taylors, not to brag), I feel comfortable saying that the ivy lyric I wish to know the fatal flaw that makes you long to be magnificently cursed is the most Sagittarius lyric ever. The drama! The belief in extreme literary phenomena like fatal flaws! The use of the word cursed! Also, ivy is the third song in the Dark Marriage Trilogy, and Swift left ivy and willow Easter Eggs within her evermore announcement Easter Egg. Again, exhausting. I cannot read nor do math just give it to me straight.
This song is about two young con artists who fall in love while hanging out at fancy resorts trying to score rich romantic beneficiaries, according to Swift. cowboy like me features background vocals from Marcus Mumford, a guest feature that was alluded to in an Instagram from inside his studio. The song features the magnificent lyric, Perched in the dark, telling all the rich folks anything they wanna hear like it could be love, I could be the way forward, only if they pay for it. So, cowboy like me is about scamming rich people something we can and should do.
Reportedly, this is the most autobiographical song on evermore. In Swiftlore, its well known that Taylor met Joe Alwyn during a lull in her life, on the same night she met Tom Hiddleston, whom she briefly dated, then dumped and got together with Joe. long story short is about picking the wrong guy, but in this song, she ends up with the right guy (Joe). So, some fans think its a Hiddleston allusion, a Hiddleusion. Swift also sings, But we live in peace, a reference to folklore song peace, which is also allegedly about Joe. This song prominently features the word misery, which may or may not be a reference to 1990 Kathy Bates psychological thriller Misery the original mad woman. Im joking (barely).
I love wholesome grandparent content. On folklore, the 13th track is about Swifts grandfather. On evermore, track 13 eulogizes her grandmother Marjorie Finlay, who was an opera singer. Finlays background vocals are actually featured on the track, which, for the record, is the correct way to honor a late family member not by Frankensteining together a spooky hologram, @ Taylors nemesis K*nye W*st!!
So, given that closure is about things ending terribly with someone (a friend, an ex, a malicious and megalomaniacal music manager), the song could be about any number of public beefs Taylor Swift has had (K*m and K*nye, C*lvin H*rris, S*****r B***n). Honestly, I respect a woman who beefs. Remaining friends with an ex is a very popular phenomenon within the queer community and its great most of the time but theres something to be said for a woman who knows her worth and is firm about it. Yes, I got your letter, Yes, Im doing better, I know that its over, I dont need your closure is my new morning affirmation. This whole album is Taylor just absolutely mad with power, swinging her strap around post-Grammy noms.
evermore is co-written by William Bowery (Joe), who also plays the piano on the track. Its nice that she lets him do things now. Shes like, Oh, you want to be a musician? Ok not now, mommys busy. Go play with your lil piano and make beep beep. The title track has a very similar vibe to folklores exile, in that it also features Bon Iver and a William Bowery writing credit, but also in its stench of wintry death. evermore is brutal. Its a pandemic depression anthem. The lyrics Gray November, Ive been down since July and Hey December, guess Im feeling unmoored resonate. Its exactly how Ive felt since folklore mowed down my mental health like a snowplow pushing a bunch of grey slush into a ditch. Taylor is sad-baiting here profiting off a community of people who are sad which is fine, because shes clearly sad too, and as the ole saying goes, its nice to have a friend.
Read the original post:
- Torn jeans, tattoos and parental taboos J. - The Jewish News of Northern California - October 5th, 2021
- US-Mexico border closure turned busy streets into ghost town - Business Insider - September 1st, 2021
- History Of Tattoo. The Time Of The Appearance Of The First Tattoos. - The Seeker Newsmagazine Cornwall - The Seeker - August 20th, 2021
- Australian Baroques Space Music blends historical composition and astronomical images at the Girls School - The West Australian - August 6th, 2021
- Abi Rawlings: Who is the Love Island 2021 star? - The Independent - August 6th, 2021
- The Unending Allure Of the Tattoo Boyfriend and the Pretty Girlfriend - Jezebel - July 8th, 2021
- Rauw Alejandro, Like the Rest of Us, Has A Big Crush on J.Lo - Interview - July 8th, 2021
- Love Island hunk to wow girls in villa by showing them tattoo of his MUM... - The Sun - June 26th, 2021
- Brooke Shields finds an unusual and very personal way to bond with her teenage daughter - Woman & Home - June 26th, 2021
- Katie Prices fiance Carl Woods trolled over new tattoo of her with fans saying it looks like her rival J... - The Irish Sun - June 26th, 2021
- Tokyo Tattoo Girls on Steam - June 9th, 2021
- Blueface Responds to Video of Women Getting Tattoos, in Bunk Beds - XXL - XXLMAG.COM - May 4th, 2021
- Grandpa wants to bribe girls not to get a tattoo - The Boston Globe - May 4th, 2021
- Heres The Full Story Behind That Viral TikTok Of A Girl Getting Upskirted At A Syd Tattoo Shop - Pedestrian TV - April 19th, 2021
- Ruby Rose on gender, bullying and breaking free: I had a problem with authority - The Guardian - April 4th, 2021
- Traditional Croatian Tattoos: Meet the tattoo artist keeping tradition alive - Croatia Week - March 8th, 2021
- David and Victoria Beckham Have a Matching Hebrew Tattoo Here's What It Means - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 8th, 2021
- Exotic Body Works celebrates 25th anniversary - Hammonton Gazette - February 14th, 2021
- Gigi Hadid and Zayn Malik now have matching tattoos in honour of their daughter Emirates Woman - Emirates Woman - February 11th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Irish Sun - February 11th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Sun - February 10th, 2021
- 10 Celebs Who Have Finger Tattoos | TheThings - TheThings - February 7th, 2021
- Kamala Harris' Stepdaughter Ella Emhoff Is Making Waves Get To Know The Rising Model In 5 Snaps - OK! - February 4th, 2021
- Problems with girls and the Troubles with men - The Irish Times - February 4th, 2021
- New Movies to Watch This Week: Supernova, The Little Things, Palmer - Variety - February 2nd, 2021
- Cops investigated kidnappings, extortions, teen runaways across California. Victims all ended up at same motel, forced into sex trafficking, feds say... - January 27th, 2021
- 'Miss Scarlet and the Duke' Recap: Episode 2 - WTTW News - January 25th, 2021
- The tattoo on her arm said it all: Grace Orzechowski was a fighter - Concord Monitor - January 20th, 2021
- Modern, Edgy And Bold: Different Bob Cuts For Girls To Try - Femina - January 15th, 2021
- What's New on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Disney+, and More in January 2021 - TV Guide - January 15th, 2021
- KVD Vegan Beauty Announces Launch of Limited-Edition Tattoo Liner with Global Organization, Girl Up - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2021
- Sonakshi Sinha Paints The Town Yellow in an Embroidered Cape Set from the Shelves of Arpita Mehta Worth Rs 39 - India.com - January 12th, 2021
- Musician tattoo stories | Wild and funny tattoos - Alternative Press - January 12th, 2021
- 40+ YA Book Cover Artists and Designers to Follow on Instagram - Book Riot - January 12th, 2021
- FIRST LOOK: Meet the contestants for new reality dating show The Cabins - FM104 - January 5th, 2021
- The Cabins cast: Meet all the contestants in the winter Love Island dating show - The Sun - January 5th, 2021
- What's New on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Disney+, and More in January 2021 - TV Guide - January 3rd, 2021
- Gothika Ending, Explained | Why Did Miranda See the Boy's Ghost? - The Cinemaholic - December 31st, 2020
- Tour Tales | Crowned YB shares untold stories of shooting Dave East around the world - REVOLT TV - December 31st, 2020
- An Interview with Gareth Johnson MP by Neve Wilson, Dartford Grammar School for Girls - This is Local London - December 31st, 2020
- Everything coming to and leaving Netflix in January 2021 - Fox News - December 28th, 2020
- Well At Least Some Positives for Women in 2020 - The Citizen - December 27th, 2020
- Jollof Couscous & Leather Jackets: Inside The Mind Of Enny - British Vogue - December 25th, 2020
- This is Justin Vernon from Bon Ivers favourite song of all time - Far Out Magazine - December 25th, 2020
- Family beg dad who disappeared after saying he was 'going away' to call this Christmas - Liverpool Echo - December 25th, 2020
- Shows like Black Widows that you may like; from Django Unchained to Gone Girl & more - Republic World - December 25th, 2020
- Michaela Garechts mother reacts to arrest of suspect in 1988 Hayward kidnapping of 9-year-old daughter - San Francisco Chronicle - December 25th, 2020
- The Interview Gift Guide That Gives Back - Interview - December 23rd, 2020
- 25 Feather Tattoos for Girls in 2020 NewShables - December 21st, 2020
- How sexy these tattoos on intimate body parts of women ... - December 21st, 2020
- How I Met Your Mother: 10 Worst First Dates The Characters Had - Screen Rant - December 21st, 2020
- Sabrina Carpenter's Got Her Very First Tattoo, and It's a Reference to Her "Lucky" Life - POPSUGAR Beauty Austrailia - December 18th, 2020
- Whats New On Netflix In January: Night Stalker, History of Swear Words, Cobra Kai And More - BroBible - December 18th, 2020
- Roxanne First Shares Her Inspirations - Vanity Fair - December 16th, 2020
- The Work Diary of Mira Mariah, Tattoo and Girl Culture Expert - The New York Times - December 11th, 2020
- Strongest girl in the world: Meet the 7-year-old who can lift 80 kg - The Indian Express - December 11th, 2020
- Mum of twins divides opinion after tattooing one baby to help tell them apart - Heart - December 11th, 2020
- Three Oaks wants INKED to raise awareness - Toronto Star - December 11th, 2020
- [150+] Beautiful Wrist Tattoo Ideas ... - Tattoos for Girls - December 6th, 2020
- The girl with her own tattoos: the joy of homemade ink - The Guardian - December 6th, 2020
- 35 Hand Tattoos for Women | Cute Tattoos For Girls On Hand - December 6th, 2020
- Emily Viti's son has MPS and the Framingham High volleyball coach is fighting to find a cure for the terminal disease - Milford Daily News - December 6th, 2020
- Mara and Dona: Argentine twins a living tribute to soccer great - Reuters - November 28th, 2020
- Born into occupation, young Afghans fear the Taliban will crush their freedoms when US troops exit - Anchorage Daily News - November 23rd, 2020
- Environmental contest's winning displays and essays are on exhibit at Jeff Library - NOLA.com - November 18th, 2020
- Tiffany Calver: Living the dream | DJMag.com - DJ Mag - November 18th, 2020
- Blind date: 'We realised we have matching tattoos' - The Guardian - November 16th, 2020
- Tattooed twins from Germany (PHOTOS) - The Saxon - November 12th, 2020
- A Clover in weeds, loss, homelessness, beatings and love - Tucson Weekly - November 5th, 2020
- The Real Housewives of New York City's First-Ever Black Housewife Isn't Holding Back - The Daily Beast - November 3rd, 2020
- Every time Bollywood actresses proved that they are protective mothers - Times Now - November 3rd, 2020
- Broadley, BF girls three-peat on Thetford trail - Brattleboro Reformer - November 1st, 2020
- Jack Nowell: Would I get a tattoo of Eddie Jones? Only if he promises to pick me for every England game - iNews - October 31st, 2020
- Ronald Hall, Worcester man accused of human trafficking, kept women addicted to drugs and had his nickname ta - MassLive.com - October 30th, 2020
- Learner Dad: 'I need to get the kids to write an early Santa letter so they cant change their minds' - Irish Examiner - October 27th, 2020
- 133 Inspiring Cute and Small Tattoos Ideas for Girls - October 22nd, 2020
- 30 Beautiful Tattoos for Girls 2020 - Meaningful Tattoo ... - October 22nd, 2020
- Jill Duggar's Tattoo Opinions Have Changed, but Does She Have One? - Distractify - October 22nd, 2020
- Sophie Turner wears vote hoodie on stroll with Joe Jonas and baby girl - Metro.co.uk - October 22nd, 2020
- Jacqueline Jossa reveals her incredible singing voice in the car after admitting she wants to sing on stage - The Irish Sun - October 22nd, 2020