Illustration by Mary Kirkpatrick
When the sun disappears for the day and the street lights cut through the dark, there is a bewitching calm in the air. In winter, that calm is powerful and mysterious. There are no birds calling in the night, only dogs howling to get back inside. Thats when I head out to the skate trail; a winding tree-lined figure-eight path in the middle of the city.
After my first week on the ice, I can declare with some certainty that people do not change on ice. Skates hug our feet and squeeze our true selves up and out into the world, demanding honesty in exchange for balance.
The skaters who challenged my skills the most were the boys who played games on the ice that no one knew the rules to. They were as unpredictable as firecrackers in a barrel, changing direction on a whim giving you an elbow in the back, or a helmet in the pelvis. These will become the guys in your office who say What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas or swear its called the 16th chapel believing there must be others, named 1 to 15. These ones require patience and must be allowed to skate freely, feel important, but be reminded that when they want to slow down and ask questions, they will be heard. Breaking through their madness I found the lone boy, skating in the opposite direction; the thrill of facing everything head-on fuelling his drive. This is the boy who will grow up to imagine a different way of doing things and marvel at the Sistine Chapel.
Story continues below advertisement
Before long, I met a wall of young girls, arm-in-arm, like one long creature. They laughed, tugged on the line, hip bumped, and yelled at their friend three arms down, never letting go, occasionally breaking into song. When one lost a hat, they all stopped, arms still hooked, and bent down, one at a time, like links in a chain, until someone was low enough to pick it up. This is what friendship among a group of women looks like at the beginning and metaphorically, at the end; arm-in-arm, picking up the pieces together and singing for no reason. I waited until the path widened to go around them. I knew they needed to stay in formation for reasons they have yet to realize.
Then booof! I was hit by a blonde bomb. The wild skater cut me off as she tried to take a shortcut. Instead of knocking me over, she reached out and grabbed both my arms, pulling me in tight. She was laughing so hard she couldnt speak let alone apologize for dragging me off course. We slowed down before she released me then yelled back Sorry! with a Whoa! and a Yikes! as she continued on her path of near misses. This is the woman you find yourself with on an impromptu trip to Graceland or screaming in pain with at a tattoo parlour in Montreal while a pink poodle gets inked on your calf.
I slowed my speed and ducked in behind the Couple. The girlfriend skated a few paces ahead of her beau and periodically looked back over her shoulder, the designer tuque sitting just low enough to show off her eyelashes. The boyfriend feverishly snapped photos on his phone and directed her hair tosses. The day my husband spends an afternoon taking my photo as I skate is literally the day hell freezes over and there is nothing else to do but skate. They might be the ones who get bored often and spend too much time creating happiness instead of feeling it.
As I pushed past them, the Jersey Buddies flew past, the sound of their hockey skates cutting the ice is like helicopter blades hitting concrete. They raced along like NHL players, weaving in and out, taking sharp corners, and swearing at the top of their lungs. I suspect they hadnt worn a hat or gloves since grade school, for fear of showing weakness. These are the guys who are always looking two moves ahead, making bold choices, but in the end, are loyal to a fault and leave no one behind. For them, actions speak louder than words except today.
I spent the rest of the week continuing to observe. It was a few days before the drinkers showed up; a nice group of gen-something-or-others that had booze hidden behind a tree and after every lap, pulled over for a swig. Some of them will have a hard time growing up; others will have to leave the group in order to reach their potential and friendships will be fractured. I listened to the two men who gabbed about TV shows and balsamic vinegar. Their hands brushed sweetly against each other from time to time. These are the people who will stay up with you all night to help you through a tough time because they know a thing or two about difficult.
And then I studied the dads. I could have melted in the cold every time I looked at the dads who skated happily, unnaturally hunched over, holding their children up as they went from stumbling to stable on their first pair of skates. That first day of college will be hard on these men. I watched the moms constantly adjusting hats and mittens and knew immediately, they would be the moms who ask their adult children if theyre eating properly and follow up with an invitation to dinner.
All week, I skated around like a ghost disturbing no one, only watching. I wondered for a split second if I had become the invisible woman, suddenly unseen; not exciting enough to matter. I wasnt with my husband, my friends, my drinking buddies; boys werent giving me the side-eye any more and no one needed me to hold them up. I had been skated into or around but had not been part of any group. I felt sad for a moment then let this stereotype blow away in the cold wind. On the ice, as in life, I am a woman on the move always circling the present and future simultaneously. I am not on the ice to be seen. My things-Ive-yet-to-do list is longer than any skate path and it pushes me toward experience now more than ever. When I am on the ice, weaving in and out of other peoples lives it might not be that I am invisible, it might just be that I am unstoppable.
Story continues below advertisement
Carol Sloan lives in Toronto.
First Person is a daily personal piece submitted by readers. Have a story to tell? See our guidelines at tgam.ca/essayguide.
Follow this link:
- Capitol riot suspect arrested after giant tattoo revealed on video - The Independent - June 9th, 2021
- The Sacred Male Body Modification Practices That Still Exist Today - InsideHook - May 16th, 2021
- `We were never terrorists`: Proud Boys Canada officially dissolved` - WION - May 4th, 2021
- Farmer Boys celebrating 40th anniversary with free burger tattoo - KTNV Las Vegas - April 19th, 2021
- Here are the nine men from Hudson Valley charged with participating in Jan. 6 Capitol riot - Times Herald-Record - April 19th, 2021
- Crowdfunding Hate in the Name of Christ - The Nation - April 4th, 2021
- Guest Opinion | Reflections on the course Women Unknown: Fight for Independence - UI The Daily Iowan - April 4th, 2021
- Part 3: How a Trini played a role in the life of Nipsey Hussle - Loop News Trinidad and Tobago - April 4th, 2021
- We want to keep him alive Family, friends remember San Antonios Tito Bradshaw two years later - San Antonio Express-News - April 4th, 2021
- Quick on the draw: Castagna the chaotic Tiger with a tattoo gun - The Age - April 4th, 2021
- Love Island Australias Phoebe Thompson reveals WAP lip tattoo as she celebrates birthday - The Irish Sun - March 8th, 2021
- Brave, Powerful, Complicated: The Most Formidable Heroines In Film - British Vogue - March 8th, 2021
- Jaden Hill is LSU's ace pitcher who has a bigger calling in life: 'I'm chosen to help people' - The Advocate - February 19th, 2021
- Gangland: a book about meth and the people whose lives it touches - The Spinoff - February 17th, 2021
- SA tattoo artist to the stars on taking his skill abroad - News24 - February 14th, 2021
- Memories of dad help make University of Houston's Justin Gorham a rebounding machine - Houston Chronicle - February 11th, 2021
- Tauranga's strongest head to the Highlands - The Bay's News First - SunLive - February 6th, 2021
- Nick Carter of Backstreet Boys Got His Paris Hilton Tattoo Just 3 Week Before They Broke up - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 30th, 2021
- 2 Green Country Women Share Stories Through Tattoo Ink; Competing In National Contest - News On 6 - January 30th, 2021
- Gangs? Cliques? Subgroups? Call Them What You Will There've Been 18 (Yes, 18) In The LA Sheriff's Department - LAist - January 22nd, 2021
- Trump's useful thugs: how the Republican party offered a home to the Proud Boys - The Guardian - January 22nd, 2021
- Proud Boys among groups being watched as inauguration approaches. Do they have Northeast Ohio ties? - Akron Beacon Journal - January 20th, 2021
- Who are Proud Boys? The Western chauvinist far-right group explained and what Donald Trump has previously said about them - The Scotsman - January 15th, 2021
- Theyve been hidden too long: Report details Los Angeles Sheriffs deputy gangs and violence toward communities of color - East Bay Times - January 15th, 2021
- Hawaii Proud Boy Charged By DOJ After Raiding US Capitol - Honolulu Civil Beat - January 9th, 2021
- Swimming With My Shirt Off - The New York Times - January 9th, 2021
- How the Internet Reflected on and Coped With the Capitol Attack - Hyperallergic - January 9th, 2021
- The Weekly-ish Mailbag is mailing it in this week. - Off Tackle Empire - December 31st, 2020
- Four months before her wedding, Mary knew it was over - Sydney Morning Herald - December 19th, 2020
- Family, determination and a dream: The Real Woods story - The Stanford Daily - December 16th, 2020
- LOCAL NEWS BRIEFS: Price is Right Live show rescheduled - Goshen News - December 16th, 2020
- Controversial Mom Made One Of Her Twin Toddlers Get A Tattoo For Very Important Reason - BabyGaga - December 11th, 2020
- Mum of twins tattoos one so she can tell them apart leaving mother-in-law fuming - Daily Star - December 11th, 2020
- Farmingtons mayor of 12 years memorializes his experience in tattoo - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - December 8th, 2020
- Im A Celebrity superfan gets tattoo of Ant and Dec at Gwrych Castle inked onto his thigh - The Sun - December 1st, 2020
- MacAdam: Fascination with Mike Tyson began in Albany - The Daily Gazette - November 27th, 2020
- 'Home town boys' return to Philippi Main Street - The Inter-Mountain - November 20th, 2020
- The Post-Election Proud Boys Meltdown Is Here, and It's Ugly - The Daily Beast - November 12th, 2020
- I just want to be with my friends: how will children cope with being cooped up again in second lockdown? - The Guardian - November 9th, 2020
- 240+ Inspirational & Meaningful One Word Tattoos (2020 ... - November 6th, 2020
- 75+ Best Small Tattoos For Men (2020) - Simple Cool ... - November 6th, 2020
- Tickets for sale in Snohomish County and around the region - The Daily Herald - November 5th, 2020
- Seances, tattoos and the unbreakable bond between Mikaela Mayer and Al Mitchell - ESPN - October 30th, 2020
- Students rediscover their childhood fandoms on TikTok - Daily Northwestern - October 29th, 2020
- Chase Winovich talks playing time, conspiracy theories with Zolak & Bertrand - 98.5 The Sports Hub - October 22nd, 2020
- The Cycle of Punitive Justice Starts in Schools. Eric Butler Is Showing Kids and Teachers How to Break It. - Mother Jones - October 21st, 2020
- The Proud Boys? - SOFREP - October 16th, 2020
- Theatre Alliance to perform outdoor production of Devil Boys from Beyond - Yes! Weekly - October 16th, 2020
- Freshers' Flu - Why My Mum Invented COVID - Cherwell Online - October 10th, 2020
- Who Are the Proud Boys Trump Told To 'Stand Back and Stand By'? - Snopes.com - October 8th, 2020
- Dan Osbornes tattoo shows hes protective of Jacqueline Jossa & the meaning behind Brooklyn Beckhams spoo - The Sun - October 7th, 2020
- When the Proud Boys came to town - The Economist - October 7th, 2020
- The ten essential facts you need to know about BTS's Suga - Film Daily - October 6th, 2020
- 30 Best Neck Tattoos for Boys and Girls - The Best Tattoo ... - September 30th, 2020
- Best 100+ Tattoo Designs For Men and Boys - Youme And Trends - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys, the extremist group Trump named in the debate - Insider - INSIDER - September 30th, 2020
- Fred Perry Will Denounce Proud Boys, But The President Won't - Highsnobiety - September 30th, 2020
- Hooligans With Heart: Phoenix Risings Red Fury fan club reaches out to refugees - Cronkite News - September 30th, 2020
- Whats New on Netflix UK & Top 10s: September 30th, 2020 - What's on Netflix - September 30th, 2020
- From the Fields: Soaking it up now | agrinews-pubs.com - Agri News - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys and why did Trump tell them to stand by? - The Irish Sun - September 30th, 2020
- The Giant Proud Boy Rally That Wasn't - VICE - September 28th, 2020
- Dallas Cowboys news: Defense is looking for improvements - Blogging The Boys - September 26th, 2020
- For Australia's military veterans, tattoos are an important reminder of the things they've seen - The Canberra Times - September 26th, 2020
- What is the alt-right group the Proud Boys? - The Sun - September 21st, 2020
- Police investigating after man tried to grab young boy from street - The Northern Echo - September 18th, 2020
- Cowboys news: Reviewing the rookies after the Cowboys season-opener - Blogging The Boys - September 18th, 2020
- Nas makes his latest claim to the throne with King's Disease - NYSMusic - September 18th, 2020
- The Boys Season 2 Episode 4: 20 Easter Eggs And Things You Might Have Missed - GameSpot - September 15th, 2020
- The Boys Season 2 Episode 4: 20 Things You Might Have Missed - GameSpot - September 11th, 2020
- Remembrance of Things Past: A favorite series features a book with a local tie - theday.com - September 11th, 2020
- RCB spinner Adam Zampa speaks of his love for whisky, need to carry microwave on tours - Times Now - September 8th, 2020
- Youth of color disproportionately represented in the justice system - Prescott eNews - September 7th, 2020
- Two "Boogaloo Boys" Allegedly Tried To Supply Weapons To Hamas And Join As Mercenaries - BuzzFeed News - September 6th, 2020
- Sophie Kasaei shows off full sleeve and chest piece in 'tattoo' snap - Heat - September 3rd, 2020
- Failed by the System - Eugene Weekly - September 3rd, 2020
- 'They're going to have to shoot me': A cop's son meets a tragic fate in Morris Township - Morristown Green - September 3rd, 2020
- Youth of color disproportionately represented in the justice system - Cronkite News - September 3rd, 2020
- 2 Boys Arrested In Suspected Attempted Carjacking, Armed Robbery - Patch.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Ask Billboard: Katy Perry's Career Bests, From 'One of the Boys' to 'Smile,' & Every Hot 100 'Idol' Top 10 - Billboard - August 29th, 2020