Ted, Robin, and Barney may have found their perfect match in the end but they did have to go through some awful dates to get there.
Love is one of the major themes of How I Met Your Mother. After all, its a show all about how Ted met the woman of his dreams and mother to his children, Tracy. Of course, the dating process usually requires a first date of sorts.
RELATED:How I Met Your Mother: The 5 Most (& 5 Least) Realistic Storylines
For Ted and Tracy, their first date didnt go quite as planned but it was adorable and ultimately successful. However, the same cant be said for many of Teds other first dates or those involving the other characters on the show. As all of the members of the gang went on a journey to find love, they occasionally had some awful romantic encounters on the way, with some of them ending before they even started.
In an effort to behave herself, Robin decides that for her first date with Ian, she wouldnt shave her legs until at least three dates. Turns out, Ianis a charming and attractiveBritish brain surgeon who Robin realizes she wont be able to resist by the end of the night.
Breaking her no shave rule, Robin tries her hardest to shave her legs quickly, going as far as paying the waitress $50 to get her a razor. Her attempts at a last-minute leg shave doesnt go over so well in this public bathroom. By the end of the night, shes stuck in the bathroom, giving the annoyed waitress time to swoop in and take Ian.
Its tough to get over a break-up. All it takes is one little thing to remind a person of them and all of those painful memories come flooding back. For Ted, however, just about everything reminded him of Robin.
RELATED:How I Met Your Mother: 10 Things The Characters Wanted In Season One That Came True By The Finale
In order to get past his recent heartbreak with Robin, Ted is set up with three girls. The problem is, Ted sees similarities to Robin in all three of them. Robyn, of course, is an obvious stand out because of her name. With Lizbeth, all it took was her to say lasagna to remind Ted of that very one time Robin made it (poorly). Then theres Holly, whose ex-husbands name is Wayne, forcing Ted to connect it to Batman, whose sidekicks name is Robin.
Nowadays, its so easy to look someone up on social media before you even meet them. Annoyed by this trend, Ted and Janet make a promise to not look each other up online before their first date.
Unfortunately, Barney and Robin are too impatient and they decide to look her up, against Teds wishes. They find out that Janet is basically a perfect person who saves lives and has a billion-dollar fortune. If only they hadnt insisted Ted look up the info they found, Ted may have had a good future with Janet. Instead, curiosity got the better of him and he became too self-conscious to even speak to her even further.
In one of Barneys most extreme attempts at getting women, he literally shows his phone number to millions of viewers during the Super Bowl. This turns out to be successful, maybe a little too successful.
RELATED:How I Met Your Mother: Barney's 5 Best (& 5 Worst) Story Arcs
Barneys phone just doesnt stop ringing. Every time he does meet one of the girls, hes immediately distracted by the texts and calls hes getting from other women. The fear of missing out on a potentially hotter girl gets to be too much. By the end of the night, Barney realizes that the magic phone he possesses is actually a curse.
Ted thinks hes going on a blind date he was set up with. Little does he know, he had met this exact same woman years earlier on another blind date. After realizing this,they both reminisce on what made their original date so bad.
Both of them were at fault for making the date a failure, from Ted pointing typos in the menu to Jen not doing "the cheque dance." Lets also not forget that Ted was in his infamous goatee phase that almost everyone agrees is not a good look for him. Of course, people do grow and change. Its just a shame that they werent destined to be together despite getting another chance.
Marshall and Lily have always wanted a couple they could hang out with, something that was difficult when you hang out with all single people. Once Robin and Barney started dating, Lily and Marshall couldnt wait to have their first couples' night with them. It was essentially the first date as far Lily and Marshall were concerned.
For Marshall and Lily, it was the best night ever. However, for Barney and Robin, it was one of the worst nights ever. Marshall and Lily try way too hard to make the night perfect, coming off a little desperate. Marshall also takes a little too much pride in his gouda slices, the only thing Lily would allow him to prepare.
Two out of three times. Thats the success rate of The Naked Man, as invented by Mitch. After Mitch got it to work with Robin, Ted and Barney both agree to try The Naked Man on some first dates. Lily also gives an attempt on Marshall that same night.
RELATED:How I Met Your Mother: 10 Best Ongoing Jokes
As statistics would show, The Naked Man worked two times that night (obviously it was going to work for Lily). The odd one out was Barney, whos attempt ended poorly, to say the least. The unnamed woman was so horrified that she threatened to call the police and kicked out a still nude Barney. Barney was forced to walk around New York City completely naked, yet still refused to put on a cheap suit that he found.
Teds first date with Cindy actually goes kind of well. Its only in retrospect that it must be an awkward time. Its revealed that Cindys roommate was Tracy, the woman Ted would end up marrying and begin telling his kids a nine-year-long story of how he met her.
The entire date, a self-conscious Cindy kept going on and on about a little these quirks she couldnt stand about Tracy. Ted had to sit there and pretend that Tracy is just so lame. In reality, he thought she sounded awesome. This would later ruin his relationship with Cindy as he points objects in her room that he thinks are cool, all of which actually belonged to Tracy.
After Robin brings home her new boyfriend, Gael, Ted makes it his mission to come out on top and win the break-up. His solution is the wild and unpredictable Amy, who takes him out on a drunken night where Ted ends up blacking out at a tattoo parlor.
Thinking he avoided getting a tattoo, Ted thought the whole night was a win. Unbeknownst to him, the tattoo artist was Amys ex-boyfriend, takes his jealousy out on Teds lower back, giving him a butterfly tattoo. In a way, this tattoo turned out to be a blessing and a curse since it led him to meet Stella. Stella may have left him at the altar but is also responsible for getting Ted his job as a professor.
To say Ted and Robin had a rocky relationship would be an understatement. They were together for a while before breaking up. Then, they became the best of friends but had some heartbreaks along the way. In the end, however, they would find their way back to each other.
All of this started with their hilariously awkward first date. The actual night had been perfect until the last second, where Ted made things weird. Being the hopeless romantic that he is, Ted confesses his love for Robin. This might just be one of Ted's most embarrassing moments of the show that the gang will never lethim forget.
NEXT:5 How I Met Your Mother Fan Theories That Make Perfect Sense (& 5 That Would Never Happen)
Next Game of Thrones: 5 Things About Arya Stark That Would Never Fly Today (& 5 That Would)
Read this article:
- US-Mexico border closure turned busy streets into ghost town - Business Insider - September 1st, 2021
- History Of Tattoo. The Time Of The Appearance Of The First Tattoos. - The Seeker Newsmagazine Cornwall - The Seeker - August 20th, 2021
- Australian Baroques Space Music blends historical composition and astronomical images at the Girls School - The West Australian - August 6th, 2021
- Abi Rawlings: Who is the Love Island 2021 star? - The Independent - August 6th, 2021
- The Unending Allure Of the Tattoo Boyfriend and the Pretty Girlfriend - Jezebel - July 8th, 2021
- Rauw Alejandro, Like the Rest of Us, Has A Big Crush on J.Lo - Interview - July 8th, 2021
- Love Island hunk to wow girls in villa by showing them tattoo of his MUM... - The Sun - June 26th, 2021
- Brooke Shields finds an unusual and very personal way to bond with her teenage daughter - Woman & Home - June 26th, 2021
- Katie Prices fiance Carl Woods trolled over new tattoo of her with fans saying it looks like her rival J... - The Irish Sun - June 26th, 2021
- Tokyo Tattoo Girls on Steam - June 9th, 2021
- Blueface Responds to Video of Women Getting Tattoos, in Bunk Beds - XXL - XXLMAG.COM - May 4th, 2021
- Grandpa wants to bribe girls not to get a tattoo - The Boston Globe - May 4th, 2021
- Heres The Full Story Behind That Viral TikTok Of A Girl Getting Upskirted At A Syd Tattoo Shop - Pedestrian TV - April 19th, 2021
- Ruby Rose on gender, bullying and breaking free: I had a problem with authority - The Guardian - April 4th, 2021
- Traditional Croatian Tattoos: Meet the tattoo artist keeping tradition alive - Croatia Week - March 8th, 2021
- David and Victoria Beckham Have a Matching Hebrew Tattoo Here's What It Means - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 8th, 2021
- Exotic Body Works celebrates 25th anniversary - Hammonton Gazette - February 14th, 2021
- Gigi Hadid and Zayn Malik now have matching tattoos in honour of their daughter Emirates Woman - Emirates Woman - February 11th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Irish Sun - February 11th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Sun - February 10th, 2021
- 10 Celebs Who Have Finger Tattoos | TheThings - TheThings - February 7th, 2021
- Kamala Harris' Stepdaughter Ella Emhoff Is Making Waves Get To Know The Rising Model In 5 Snaps - OK! - February 4th, 2021
- Problems with girls and the Troubles with men - The Irish Times - February 4th, 2021
- New Movies to Watch This Week: Supernova, The Little Things, Palmer - Variety - February 2nd, 2021
- Cops investigated kidnappings, extortions, teen runaways across California. Victims all ended up at same motel, forced into sex trafficking, feds say... - January 27th, 2021
- 'Miss Scarlet and the Duke' Recap: Episode 2 - WTTW News - January 25th, 2021
- The tattoo on her arm said it all: Grace Orzechowski was a fighter - Concord Monitor - January 20th, 2021
- Modern, Edgy And Bold: Different Bob Cuts For Girls To Try - Femina - January 15th, 2021
- What's New on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Disney+, and More in January 2021 - TV Guide - January 15th, 2021
- KVD Vegan Beauty Announces Launch of Limited-Edition Tattoo Liner with Global Organization, Girl Up - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2021
- Sonakshi Sinha Paints The Town Yellow in an Embroidered Cape Set from the Shelves of Arpita Mehta Worth Rs 39 - India.com - January 12th, 2021
- Musician tattoo stories | Wild and funny tattoos - Alternative Press - January 12th, 2021
- 40+ YA Book Cover Artists and Designers to Follow on Instagram - Book Riot - January 12th, 2021
- FIRST LOOK: Meet the contestants for new reality dating show The Cabins - FM104 - January 5th, 2021
- The Cabins cast: Meet all the contestants in the winter Love Island dating show - The Sun - January 5th, 2021
- What's New on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Disney+, and More in January 2021 - TV Guide - January 3rd, 2021
- Gothika Ending, Explained | Why Did Miranda See the Boy's Ghost? - The Cinemaholic - December 31st, 2020
- Tour Tales | Crowned YB shares untold stories of shooting Dave East around the world - REVOLT TV - December 31st, 2020
- An Interview with Gareth Johnson MP by Neve Wilson, Dartford Grammar School for Girls - This is Local London - December 31st, 2020
- Everything coming to and leaving Netflix in January 2021 - Fox News - December 28th, 2020
- Well At Least Some Positives for Women in 2020 - The Citizen - December 27th, 2020
- Jollof Couscous & Leather Jackets: Inside The Mind Of Enny - British Vogue - December 25th, 2020
- This is Justin Vernon from Bon Ivers favourite song of all time - Far Out Magazine - December 25th, 2020
- Family beg dad who disappeared after saying he was 'going away' to call this Christmas - Liverpool Echo - December 25th, 2020
- Shows like Black Widows that you may like; from Django Unchained to Gone Girl & more - Republic World - December 25th, 2020
- Michaela Garechts mother reacts to arrest of suspect in 1988 Hayward kidnapping of 9-year-old daughter - San Francisco Chronicle - December 25th, 2020
- The Interview Gift Guide That Gives Back - Interview - December 23rd, 2020
- 25 Feather Tattoos for Girls in 2020 NewShables - December 21st, 2020
- How sexy these tattoos on intimate body parts of women ... - December 21st, 2020
- Sabrina Carpenter's Got Her Very First Tattoo, and It's a Reference to Her "Lucky" Life - POPSUGAR Beauty Austrailia - December 18th, 2020
- Whats New On Netflix In January: Night Stalker, History of Swear Words, Cobra Kai And More - BroBible - December 18th, 2020
- Roxanne First Shares Her Inspirations - Vanity Fair - December 16th, 2020
- So, What the Hell Folk Tales Is Taylor Swift Telling Now on evermore? - Vulture - December 12th, 2020
- The Work Diary of Mira Mariah, Tattoo and Girl Culture Expert - The New York Times - December 11th, 2020
- Strongest girl in the world: Meet the 7-year-old who can lift 80 kg - The Indian Express - December 11th, 2020
- Mum of twins divides opinion after tattooing one baby to help tell them apart - Heart - December 11th, 2020
- Three Oaks wants INKED to raise awareness - Toronto Star - December 11th, 2020
- [150+] Beautiful Wrist Tattoo Ideas ... - Tattoos for Girls - December 6th, 2020
- The girl with her own tattoos: the joy of homemade ink - The Guardian - December 6th, 2020
- 35 Hand Tattoos for Women | Cute Tattoos For Girls On Hand - December 6th, 2020
- Emily Viti's son has MPS and the Framingham High volleyball coach is fighting to find a cure for the terminal disease - Milford Daily News - December 6th, 2020
- Mara and Dona: Argentine twins a living tribute to soccer great - Reuters - November 28th, 2020
- Born into occupation, young Afghans fear the Taliban will crush their freedoms when US troops exit - Anchorage Daily News - November 23rd, 2020
- Environmental contest's winning displays and essays are on exhibit at Jeff Library - NOLA.com - November 18th, 2020
- Tiffany Calver: Living the dream | DJMag.com - DJ Mag - November 18th, 2020
- Blind date: 'We realised we have matching tattoos' - The Guardian - November 16th, 2020
- Tattooed twins from Germany (PHOTOS) - The Saxon - November 12th, 2020
- A Clover in weeds, loss, homelessness, beatings and love - Tucson Weekly - November 5th, 2020
- The Real Housewives of New York City's First-Ever Black Housewife Isn't Holding Back - The Daily Beast - November 3rd, 2020
- Every time Bollywood actresses proved that they are protective mothers - Times Now - November 3rd, 2020
- Broadley, BF girls three-peat on Thetford trail - Brattleboro Reformer - November 1st, 2020
- Jack Nowell: Would I get a tattoo of Eddie Jones? Only if he promises to pick me for every England game - iNews - October 31st, 2020
- Ronald Hall, Worcester man accused of human trafficking, kept women addicted to drugs and had his nickname ta - MassLive.com - October 30th, 2020
- Learner Dad: 'I need to get the kids to write an early Santa letter so they cant change their minds' - Irish Examiner - October 27th, 2020
- 133 Inspiring Cute and Small Tattoos Ideas for Girls - October 22nd, 2020
- 30 Beautiful Tattoos for Girls 2020 - Meaningful Tattoo ... - October 22nd, 2020
- Jill Duggar's Tattoo Opinions Have Changed, but Does She Have One? - Distractify - October 22nd, 2020
- Sophie Turner wears vote hoodie on stroll with Joe Jonas and baby girl - Metro.co.uk - October 22nd, 2020
- Jacqueline Jossa reveals her incredible singing voice in the car after admitting she wants to sing on stage - The Irish Sun - October 22nd, 2020
- Jacqueline Jossa reveals her incredible singing voice in the car after admitting she wants to sing on stage - The Sun - October 21st, 2020