UNITED NATIONS - While 2020 will be remembered most for the way COVID-19 changed our lives in nearly every way and in every part of the world, we made some strides for womens rights and gender equality. From new laws addressing domestic violence and equality to womens critical leadership during the global pandemic, join us to celebrate some key moments for gender equality this year.
Women leaders shine in the face of COVID-19Governments across the world worked to respond to COVID-19, with research suggesting that in countries where women lead, the responses were quicker, more effective and stronger. In countries with women leaders, including New Zealand, Germany, Finland, Bangladesh and more, the quick and decisive actions of the women in charge led to lower cases and lower deaths.
Even though COVID-19 has demonstrated the important role of women in leadership and decision-making, as of December 2020, there are only 22 countries with women serving as Heads of State and/or Government worldwide. As we look ahead to building back better in the future, womens leadership is critical to success.
US elects first woman vice-presidentIn November, Kamala Harris became the first woman vice-president-elect of the United States, shattering barriers that have kept men entrenched at the highest levels of American politics for many years. Following her swearing-in in January 2021, she will join the ranks of other female vice-presidents around the world, in countries including Bulgaria, Nicaragua, Liberia, Costa Rica, Venezuela, The Gambia, South Sudan, and others.
US President-elect Joe Biden also announced an all women senior communications team, a first for the White House.
Scotland makes period products free for allThe Scottish parliament voted unanimously in favour of the Period Products bill in November, making Scotland the first country to allow free and universal access to menstrual products including tampons and pads in public buildings including schools and universities.
It marks a significant victory for the global movement against period poverty which impacts women and girls in many ways. With 12.8 per cent of women and girls worldwide living in poverty, the cost of menstrual products and added taxes leave many without ways to safely manage their periods.
Mothers names to be included on childrens IDs in AfghanistanIn Afghanistan, the President signed a new law stating that for the first time, mothers will be named on their childrens birth certificates and identification cards, making it easier for women to get education, healthcare and other documents for their children. The change will especially benefit women who are widowed, divorced or otherwise raising children on their own.
The new law comes after a year-long social media campaign #WhereIsMyName, advocating for womens rights and empowerment in the country.
World leaders reignite the vision of the Beijing Platform for ActionIn October, co-hosted by the President of the General Assembly and UN Women, leaders came together to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for action, the most comprehensive roadmap for advancing gender equality.
Over 100 countries committed to concrete actions that would accelerate the realization of gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls everywhere. Some of the commitments include eliminating discriminatory laws, social norms and gender stereotypes; matching commitments to gender equality with adequate financing; strengthening institutions to promote gender equality; harnessing the potential of technology and innovation to improve womens and girls lives; and regularly collecting, analyzing and using gender statistics.
Looking ahead, all eyes are on the robust actions and commitments to fast-track implementation on gender equality, at the Generation Equality Forum in Mexico and France in 2021, and through the Generation Equality Action Coalitions.
Equal pay for women footballers in Brazil and Sierra LeoneBrazil and Sierra Leone have joined Australia, England, Norway and New Zealand in publicly committing to equal pay for women and men footballers. Globally, the gender pay gap stands at 16 per cent, meaning women workers earn an average of 84 per cent of what men earn. For women of colour, immigrant women, and women with children, the difference is even greater.
In Sierra Leone, the commitment to equality covers appearance fees and winning bonuses for the national womens team. Similarly in Brazil, female national players will be paid the same as male national players in preparation periods and games.
Kuwaits domestic violence law signals hope for womenIn September, Kuwait issued a new law on protection from domestic violence, following years of activism from Kuwaiti womens rights groups. The law creates a national committee to write policies to combat domestic violence and protect women. It also establishes shelters and a hotline to receive domestic violence complaints, provides counseling and legal assistance for survivors, and allows for emergency protection orders to prevent abusers from contacting their victims.
Although the new family protection law is a step forward for the country with high levels of domestic abuse, much work remains in implementing the law, filling protection gaps and repealing discriminatory laws.
Worldwide, as the COVID-19 pandemic hit, the ever-present pandemic of violence against women surged dramatically.
Calls to helplines increased up to five-fold in some countries during the first weeks of the coronavirus outbreak. Projections show that for every three months of lockdown, an additional 15 million women could experience violence. Laws and policies matter right now, to curb violence against women and recover from the social and economic fallouts of COVID-19.
TIMEs first Kid of the Year celebrates girl power and women in scienceFifteen-year-old scientist and inventor, Gitanjali Rao, was selected as TIME magazines first-ever Kid of the Year. From an early age, Rao thought about how to use science and technology to create social change, as motivated by her desire to introduce positivity and community to the world around her.
She developed Kindly, an app and a Chrome extension based on artificial intelligence that is able to detect cyberbullying at an early stage. Rao is currently working on an inexpensive and accurate means of detecting bio-contaminants in water.
New Zealand appoints first indigenous woman Foreign MinisterNanaia Mahuta became the first indigenous woman appointed as Foreign Minister of New Zealand in November. Mahuta, who is Maori, and was first elected to parliament in 1996, previously made history as the first woman member of parliament to wear a moko kauae, or traditional tattoo, on her chin.
New Zealand also has one of the most diverse parliaments in the world, led by Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, with almost half of lawmakers being women, and around 10 per cent of incoming parliamentarians being members of the LGBTQ community.
Two women take home Nobel Prize in Chemistry
In October, Emmanuelle Charpentier and Jennifer A. Doudna were awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry for their work on a way of editing DNA, known as Crispr-Cas9. The two scientists led efforts to turn molecules made by microbes into a tool for customizing genes.
Dr. Charpentier and Dr. Doudnas joint win marks the first time in history that the prize has gone to two women, and they are only the sixth and seventh women to win Nobel Prize in Chemistry.
Inter Press Service
- Ruby Rose on gender, bullying and breaking free: I had a problem with authority - The Guardian - April 4th, 2021
- Traditional Croatian Tattoos: Meet the tattoo artist keeping tradition alive - Croatia Week - March 8th, 2021
- David and Victoria Beckham Have a Matching Hebrew Tattoo Here's What It Means - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 8th, 2021
- Exotic Body Works celebrates 25th anniversary - Hammonton Gazette - February 14th, 2021
- Gigi Hadid and Zayn Malik now have matching tattoos in honour of their daughter Emirates Woman - Emirates Woman - February 11th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Irish Sun - February 11th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Sun - February 10th, 2021
- 10 Celebs Who Have Finger Tattoos | TheThings - TheThings - February 7th, 2021
- Kamala Harris' Stepdaughter Ella Emhoff Is Making Waves Get To Know The Rising Model In 5 Snaps - OK! - February 4th, 2021
- Problems with girls and the Troubles with men - The Irish Times - February 4th, 2021
- New Movies to Watch This Week: Supernova, The Little Things, Palmer - Variety - February 2nd, 2021
- Cops investigated kidnappings, extortions, teen runaways across California. Victims all ended up at same motel, forced into sex trafficking, feds say... - January 27th, 2021
- 'Miss Scarlet and the Duke' Recap: Episode 2 - WTTW News - January 25th, 2021
- The tattoo on her arm said it all: Grace Orzechowski was a fighter - Concord Monitor - January 20th, 2021
- Modern, Edgy And Bold: Different Bob Cuts For Girls To Try - Femina - January 15th, 2021
- What's New on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Disney+, and More in January 2021 - TV Guide - January 15th, 2021
- KVD Vegan Beauty Announces Launch of Limited-Edition Tattoo Liner with Global Organization, Girl Up - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2021
- Sonakshi Sinha Paints The Town Yellow in an Embroidered Cape Set from the Shelves of Arpita Mehta Worth Rs 39 - India.com - January 12th, 2021
- Musician tattoo stories | Wild and funny tattoos - Alternative Press - January 12th, 2021
- 40+ YA Book Cover Artists and Designers to Follow on Instagram - Book Riot - January 12th, 2021
- FIRST LOOK: Meet the contestants for new reality dating show The Cabins - FM104 - January 5th, 2021
- The Cabins cast: Meet all the contestants in the winter Love Island dating show - The Sun - January 5th, 2021
- What's New on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Disney+, and More in January 2021 - TV Guide - January 3rd, 2021
- Gothika Ending, Explained | Why Did Miranda See the Boy's Ghost? - The Cinemaholic - December 31st, 2020
- Tour Tales | Crowned YB shares untold stories of shooting Dave East around the world - REVOLT TV - December 31st, 2020
- An Interview with Gareth Johnson MP by Neve Wilson, Dartford Grammar School for Girls - This is Local London - December 31st, 2020
- Everything coming to and leaving Netflix in January 2021 - Fox News - December 28th, 2020
- Jollof Couscous & Leather Jackets: Inside The Mind Of Enny - British Vogue - December 25th, 2020
- This is Justin Vernon from Bon Ivers favourite song of all time - Far Out Magazine - December 25th, 2020
- Family beg dad who disappeared after saying he was 'going away' to call this Christmas - Liverpool Echo - December 25th, 2020
- Shows like Black Widows that you may like; from Django Unchained to Gone Girl & more - Republic World - December 25th, 2020
- Michaela Garechts mother reacts to arrest of suspect in 1988 Hayward kidnapping of 9-year-old daughter - San Francisco Chronicle - December 25th, 2020
- The Interview Gift Guide That Gives Back - Interview - December 23rd, 2020
- 25 Feather Tattoos for Girls in 2020 NewShables - December 21st, 2020
- How sexy these tattoos on intimate body parts of women ... - December 21st, 2020
- How I Met Your Mother: 10 Worst First Dates The Characters Had - Screen Rant - December 21st, 2020
- Sabrina Carpenter's Got Her Very First Tattoo, and It's a Reference to Her "Lucky" Life - POPSUGAR Beauty Austrailia - December 18th, 2020
- Whats New On Netflix In January: Night Stalker, History of Swear Words, Cobra Kai And More - BroBible - December 18th, 2020
- Roxanne First Shares Her Inspirations - Vanity Fair - December 16th, 2020
- So, What the Hell Folk Tales Is Taylor Swift Telling Now on evermore? - Vulture - December 12th, 2020
- The Work Diary of Mira Mariah, Tattoo and Girl Culture Expert - The New York Times - December 11th, 2020
- Strongest girl in the world: Meet the 7-year-old who can lift 80 kg - The Indian Express - December 11th, 2020
- Mum of twins divides opinion after tattooing one baby to help tell them apart - Heart - December 11th, 2020
- Three Oaks wants INKED to raise awareness - Toronto Star - December 11th, 2020
- [150+] Beautiful Wrist Tattoo Ideas ... - Tattoos for Girls - December 6th, 2020
- The girl with her own tattoos: the joy of homemade ink - The Guardian - December 6th, 2020
- 35 Hand Tattoos for Women | Cute Tattoos For Girls On Hand - December 6th, 2020
- Emily Viti's son has MPS and the Framingham High volleyball coach is fighting to find a cure for the terminal disease - Milford Daily News - December 6th, 2020
- Mara and Dona: Argentine twins a living tribute to soccer great - Reuters - November 28th, 2020
- Born into occupation, young Afghans fear the Taliban will crush their freedoms when US troops exit - Anchorage Daily News - November 23rd, 2020
- Environmental contest's winning displays and essays are on exhibit at Jeff Library - NOLA.com - November 18th, 2020
- Tiffany Calver: Living the dream | DJMag.com - DJ Mag - November 18th, 2020
- Blind date: 'We realised we have matching tattoos' - The Guardian - November 16th, 2020
- Tattooed twins from Germany (PHOTOS) - The Saxon - November 12th, 2020
- A Clover in weeds, loss, homelessness, beatings and love - Tucson Weekly - November 5th, 2020
- The Real Housewives of New York City's First-Ever Black Housewife Isn't Holding Back - The Daily Beast - November 3rd, 2020
- Every time Bollywood actresses proved that they are protective mothers - Times Now - November 3rd, 2020
- Broadley, BF girls three-peat on Thetford trail - Brattleboro Reformer - November 1st, 2020
- Jack Nowell: Would I get a tattoo of Eddie Jones? Only if he promises to pick me for every England game - iNews - October 31st, 2020
- Ronald Hall, Worcester man accused of human trafficking, kept women addicted to drugs and had his nickname ta - MassLive.com - October 30th, 2020
- Learner Dad: 'I need to get the kids to write an early Santa letter so they cant change their minds' - Irish Examiner - October 27th, 2020
- 133 Inspiring Cute and Small Tattoos Ideas for Girls - October 22nd, 2020
- 30 Beautiful Tattoos for Girls 2020 - Meaningful Tattoo ... - October 22nd, 2020
- Jill Duggar's Tattoo Opinions Have Changed, but Does She Have One? - Distractify - October 22nd, 2020
- Sophie Turner wears vote hoodie on stroll with Joe Jonas and baby girl - Metro.co.uk - October 22nd, 2020
- Jacqueline Jossa reveals her incredible singing voice in the car after admitting she wants to sing on stage - The Irish Sun - October 22nd, 2020
- Jacqueline Jossa reveals her incredible singing voice in the car after admitting she wants to sing on stage - The Sun - October 21st, 2020
- Vanessa Bryant reveals new tattoo dedicated to Kobe and their 4 girls (photo) - Rolling Out - October 16th, 2020
- Pomp it Up: On the wild side with Motley Crue - Pueblo Chieftain - October 16th, 2020
- Coronavirus is killing haunted houses, but we still have real horror stories to scare you - Detroit Free Press - October 16th, 2020
- Glimpse inside Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's Tattoos and the True Meaning behind Them - AmoMama - October 14th, 2020
- Mike Tyson Almost Got an Even Crazier Tattoo on His Face Thankfully He Didn't - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 14th, 2020
- Mike Tyson's Tribal Face Tattoo Got a Wild Reaction From a Woman in the Tribe - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 14th, 2020
- 10 Gilmore Girl Tattoo Ideas That Would Earn Lorelai and Rory's Stamp of Approval - POPSUGAR - October 10th, 2020
- 10 Gilmore Girl Tattoo Ideas That Would Earn Lorelai and Rory's Stamp of Approval - POPSUGAR Beauty Austrailia - October 9th, 2020
- Cancer survivor views tattoos as another recovery technique - Leader Publications - October 7th, 2020
- Revisiting Hellboy, the mixtape that captured Lil Peep's breakout energy - Dazed - October 7th, 2020
- 'Mr Snake': Meet the teacher who is France's most tattooed man - The Phnom Penh Post - October 6th, 2020
- Healing wheels: 63-year-old skates her way to cancer recovery - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - October 6th, 2020
- Benjamin Keough laid to rest next to his grandfather Elvis at Graceland - The Irish Sun - October 2nd, 2020