Its no secret that fashion trends come and go throughout the seasons. In an age of modern technology and social media, its even easier to blend different styles from around the world. So, how many of your favorite fashion trends came from other cultures?
A quick swipe through your TikTok for you page leads you to see a beautiful girl with colorful stripes in her hair, an oversized t-shirt, wide-legged jeans and Jordans topped off with a bucket hat. Styles like this are now considered popular and trendy but before they became one of Generation Zs staple outfits, they were a part ofBlack culture.
Bucket hatshave been seen on the heads of many celebrities, influencers and fishermen! The bucket hat was invented to protect fishermen from the rain and was later adopted by the military in the 1940s. After being seen worn by LL Cool J andRihanna, the bucket hat has become regarded as a wardrobe must-have and an easy way to spice up your outfit.
Oversized clothing has also become popular in the past months whether it be baggy jeans or large graphic t-shirts. They offer an effortlessly chic look, especially while staying at home. The oversized trend gained popularity during the hip-hop era back in the 1980s.
People from the Black community, including many families, wore oversized clothing. Their clothes were often second-hand from other family members to save money. Many hip-hop artists and rappers wear oversized clothing and have made it a big hit among teens.
Since the invention of rubbers, sneakers have been around but didnt gain popularity until the 1970s when Nike was founded. Although they were first reserved for sports such as basketball, sneakers became popular after rappers began wearing them. Now a symbol of status and money, sneakers like Jordans cost an average of $145, and you can easily find any teen wearing Air Force 1s.
Hoop earrings date back to the first civilization Sumer and are associated with African beauty, but have now become a favorite fashion accessory thanks to Black and Latino culture.
Scripted necklaces are also another fashion must-have. Its roots come fromNew York City neighborhoods, where kids wore them as a way to show their individuality and their hard to pronounce names. Scripted necklaces were also a way to prove that kids were responsible for their own metal jewelry.
Kimonosoriginated from Japan as a symbol of class dynamics and are seen as elegant, beautiful pieces of cultural wear. Although once associated with a traditional garment worn on special occasions, they are now light cover-ups that are often worn during the spring and summertime.
Many places, from Malaysia to Morocco, have henna tattoos, so it is hard to pinpoint its origin, but countless Middle Eastern, African and Asian cultures have used henna as a prenuptial ritual for brides to make them look extravagant for their wedding day. Henna tattoo stations are now popular at many fairs and festivals.
Many teens and millennials also sport nose rings, but before they were hot accessories for alt TikTokers, nose rings were religious and cultural symbols in different cultures, including Indian and South African.
In India,nose rings are believedto reduce menstrual pain and increase fertility. Along with henna, brides in India wear nose rings during their weddings. Nose rings are also worn to honor the Hindu goddess of marriage Parvathi; however, in South Africa, nose rings area symbol of wealthin Beja and Berber tribes.
Pencil or liquideyelinerwas once regarded as something to fight off evil spirits and eye disease. It was believed to be magical, having to do with the ancient gods Horus and Ra, who would protect the people from illnesses.
The American Chemical Society has reported that eyeliner has nitric oxide, which revs up the immune system; many scientists believed that Egyptians used this lead-based cosmetic as makeup for this reason.
And when we think ofcowboys, we think of the Old West, cowboy hats, vests and boots, which came from Spain in the 1100s. They dated back to cattle herders who wore hats, jackets, tight-fitting trousers and boots. Cowboy outfits later became associated with cowboys when the cattle industry expanded to the northern plains of the Americas in the 1880s since leather protected from the cold.
In light of the Black Lives Matter movement, it is important to recognize how other cultures have diversified and changed our society. These fashion trends are now regarded as essential pieces of teen fashion but they have been taken away from other cultures to be reclaimed as appropriate and popular, revealing a double standard between white and people of color.
Fashion trends from other cultures also bring up discussions about cultural appropriation and appreciation. Appreciation is when youhonor and respect another culture and its practicesand give credit to the culture, while appropriation is when you only pick certain aspects of a culture to exploit and ignore its significance from that culture. Theres a fine line between them and it is important to know the difference as you explore different fashion styles.
So, as you wear a bucket hat and eyeliner, remember their origin stories and how important other cultures are in your daily life.
Read the original here:
- Tinkerbell with tattoos, inked Incredibles; Disney to allow visible tattoos on cast members - WKRG News 5 - April 19th, 2021
- The Ron Swanson Mistake You Never Noticed In Parks And Recreation - Looper - April 4th, 2021
- Ireland Baldwin Reveals Creative Use For David Bowie Tattoo - The Inquisitr News - April 4th, 2021
- Watch Travis Barkers Daughter Alabama Cover Up His Face Tattoos With Makeup - menshealth.com - April 4th, 2021
- Is There KVD Beauty Without Kat Von D? - The Business of Fashion - March 8th, 2021
- What Is Microshading? Heres What To Know About the No-Maintenance, Feathery Brows Everyones Talking About - Well+Good - March 8th, 2021
- Jennifer Aniston finally reveals the meaning behind her '11 11' wrist tattoo - Cosmopolitan UK - March 8th, 2021
- Popular new makeup products to try in 2021 - Belfast Live - February 19th, 2021
- Woman Reacts To Seeing Boyfriend For First Time Without Tattoo-Covered Face - BroBible - February 19th, 2021
- Test Pattern Director Shatara Michelle Ford on Making Their First Film and Being Emotionally Truthful - TheStranger.com - February 19th, 2021
- Here's Why Jeffree Star's 'Delicious' Neck Tattoo Is One Of His Favorites - TheThings - February 17th, 2021
- Blue Light Body Arts to open on the bricks in spring - Hays Daily News - February 17th, 2021
- Exploring the ever-diminishing returns of the Crow franchise - The Spool - February 14th, 2021
- 'Justice League': Check out Jared Leto's freaky Joker in the trailer for Zack Snyder's new HBO Max cut - USA TODAY - February 14th, 2021
- JUSTICE LEAGUE Director Zack Snyder Addresses Absence Of The Joker's SUICIDE SQUAD Tattoos In The Snyder Cut - CBM (Comic Book Movie) - February 11th, 2021
- Zack Snyder explains why Joker's tattoos were removed in Justice League - Explica - February 11th, 2021
- How TikTok communists are reclaiming the hammer and sickle - i-D - February 11th, 2021
- Why Leto's Joker Doesn't Have His "Damaged" Tattoo In Justice League - Screen Rant - February 10th, 2021
- Site of the day: Want a tattoo? You have to download this app - Explica - February 10th, 2021
- Salma Hayek Shows off Chest Tattoos for New Movie 'Bliss' - PopCulture.com - February 7th, 2021
- The rise of beauty enhancements and Maya Darwiche - Sunrise News - February 7th, 2021
- The eyes have it: Above-the-mask makeup sees pandemic surge - CBC.ca - February 7th, 2021
- BB14 promo: Salman Khan schools Abhinav for his choice of words; asks if he's 'going in the right direction' - Times Now - February 7th, 2021
- Tattoo Stamp - MILK MAKEUP | Sephora - February 6th, 2021
- Eye Studio Color Tattoo 24HR Cream Gel Eyeshadow - Maybelline - February 6th, 2021
- Salma Hayek flaunts new large tattoo and fans freak out - HOLA USA - February 6th, 2021
- Gigi Hadid Now Has A Tattoo Tribute To Baby Girl And It Matches Zayn Maliks - Capital - February 4th, 2021
- Bobrisky lavishes N596k while shopping for lady that tattooed him on her back - Legit.ng - February 4th, 2021
- Make-up artist Mei Pang is turning the internet into her beauty playground - Dazed - February 4th, 2021
- Nick Carter of Backstreet Boys Covered Up His Paris Hilton Tattoo With a Skull and Crossbones - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 4th, 2021
- Two Singaporean women pioneering in the rise of hand-poked tattoos - News24 - February 4th, 2021
- Britney Spears Fans Concerned About Singers Well-Being After Her Latest Video Upload - The Inquisitr - February 4th, 2021
- Priyanka Chopra is a sight to behold as the bold and beautiful cover star of Elle UK - Bollywood Hungama - February 4th, 2021
- Promised Neverland: 10 Great Emma Cosplay You Have To See | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 4th, 2021
- The Multiple Personalities of Johnny Depp: The Smearing of Makeup and a Beloved Actors Career - Mandatory - February 2nd, 2021
- Hunter Schafer on the Reverb of Euphorias Makeup and Her Road-Trip Beauty Essentials - Vanity Fair - January 24th, 2021
- BTS' Jungkook reveals tattoos on show and fans are excited to get a close-up view - CNA - January 24th, 2021
- Forget microblading... These eyebrow tattoo stickers are the in-thing - Jacaranda FM - January 24th, 2021
- Jurassic World: Age, Height, & 8 Other Things You Didn't Know About Jeff Goldblum - Screen Rant - January 24th, 2021
- Foundation getting in the way of your natural freckles? Here's how you can make them pop again - News24 - January 20th, 2021
- Forget Shoes, It's About the Lipstick: Hollywood Stylists Share Lessons Learned From Working in a Pandemic - Hollywood Reporter - January 15th, 2021
- This designer is giving the ancient art of henna a modern makeover - CNN - January 15th, 2021
- Apex Legends: 10 Loba Cosplays That Prove She Is The Best Character - TheGamer - January 15th, 2021
- New fashion trend went viral, women tattooing tattoos to hide dark circles and stretch mark - Primetime - January 12th, 2021
- Makeup trends 2021 | Beauty - MAG THE WEEKLY - Mag The Weekly Magazine - January 12th, 2021
- Assassins Creed Valhalla: 10 Female Eivor Cosplays That Are Battle-Ready - TheGamer - January 12th, 2021
- Justin Bieber Covered Up All His Tattoos for the Anyone Music Video and the Video Is Mesmerizing to Watch - Us Weekly - January 9th, 2021
- Fans Think Cardi B Deserves A Superhero Name | TheThings - TheThings - January 9th, 2021
- Priyanka Chopra In Trouble With UK Cops After Breaking Lockdown Rules - Talent Recap - January 9th, 2021
- Nikita Dragun Masters The Underboob Look In Metallic Bandeau Top With Matching Thigh-High Slit Skirt - The Inquisitr News - January 3rd, 2021
- Justin Bieber Shared a Video of Himself Getting His Tattoos Covered Up for His New "Anyone" Music Video Watch - Allure - January 3rd, 2021
- Prateik Babbar experiments with his hair colour again, goes from red to blue - Republic World - December 28th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077: 5 Things That Make No Sense About V (& 5 Fan Theories That Really Do) - TheGamer - December 28th, 2020
- 89 Best Truth or Dare Questions and Dares - Teen Vogue - December 28th, 2020
- Louisa Johnson Showcases Chest Tattoo In Low-Cut White Top For A Series Of Close-Up Snaps - The Inquisitr - December 23rd, 2020
- Get the Look: a gold mine of information about gilded makeup looks - Irish Examiner - December 21st, 2020
- Replicating Success In The ECommerce World: A Case Study With James Khuri - Forbes - December 21st, 2020
- Pete Davidson is reportedly in the process of removing all of his tattoos - 21-Dec-2020 - NZ Entertainment news - NZCity - December 21st, 2020
- TRIED & TESTED: "I got my eyebrows tattooed with a freehand blade. Here's how it went." - Mamamia - December 18th, 2020
- Permanent Makeup Information: Eyeliner, Lipstick, and More - December 18th, 2020
- People Have a Lot of Feelings About Pete Davidson Removing All of His Tattoos - POPSUGAR - December 17th, 2020
- Are Hair and Beauty Salons Allowed to Be Open in Tier 3? - POPSUGAR United Kingdom - December 17th, 2020
- Docs with Tattoos: More Relatable to Patients? - MedPage Today - December 14th, 2020
- Keep Your Eye On These Young Designers From Around the World - W Magazine - December 3rd, 2020
- Carmen Electra, 48, Nearly Bursts Out Of Plunging Corset While Caressing Her Chest - The Inquisitr - November 26th, 2020
- 7 of the best and 6 of the worst beauty trends of the year, so far - INSIDER - November 25th, 2020
- Guns N Roses Stars Daughter Draws All Eyes To Her Backside As She Strikes A Sultry Pose With ... - Metalhead Zone - November 25th, 2020
- Gen-Z is finding alternatives to traditional mental health resources through social media - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 21st, 2020
- KVD Vegan Beauty Debuts Holiday 2020 with First-Ever Fully-Recycled Eyeshadow Palette, Dazzling Shadows Sticks, Vegan Lashes and a Plethora of... - November 20th, 2020
- Astanza Wins Top Aesthetic Company, Best Laser Service and Training, and Best Laser Company to Work For in the Aesthetic Everything 2020 Aesthetic and... - November 20th, 2020
- Valeria Micropigmentation Is One of The Most Trusted Solution for Permanent Makeup - Press Release - Digital Journal - November 18th, 2020
- Revealed: The Get The Gloss Beauty and Wellness Awards 2020 winners - Get The Gloss - November 18th, 2020
- Queen Icon Roger Taylors Daughter Tiger Lily Looks Sexy In Red, Shows A Secret Tattoo And Explains ... - Metalhead Zone - November 18th, 2020
- New Zealand has just elected one of the most diverse parliaments in the world. Here's how it stacks up - KESQ - November 18th, 2020
- Cardi B Puts Her Colorful Leg Tattoo on Display in a Red Reebok Outfit from Her New Collection - AmoMama - November 16th, 2020
- Lee Sang Yeob Hilariously Pretends To Be Bentley From The Future On The Return Of Superman - soompi - November 16th, 2020
- Tejaswini Pandit Flaunts A Rare Barcode Tattoo, Fans Wonder What Scanning It Will Lead To? - Zee Kannada - November 12th, 2020
- Chris Evans Has 9 Hidden Tattoos Here's What They Mean - POPSUGAR - November 11th, 2020
- Assassins Creed Valhalla Will Feature Photo Mode at Launch. Know All The Updates Right Here ! - Stanford Arts Review - November 9th, 2020
- 'Welcome to Plathville': The Plaths Are More Divided Than Ever in the Season 2 Sneak Peek Moriah Calls Her Parents' House a 'Cage,' Ethan Gets a... - November 9th, 2020