Well howdy! I hope you all survived Christmas and are getting ready to throw 2020 out the door like an old Christmas tree. Weve just about made it!
As you slog your way through another 3 day work week, heres our mailbag responses. Good luck, and lets make 2021 what we hoped 2020 could have been.
Favorite James Bond movies? - Pkloa
Jesse: I want my bond movies to be ridiculous, over-the-top, etc. Its why Brosnan-era was my favorite. Hes the MOST ridiculous version of Bond - and probably the least believable - but I loved the absurdity of him being this super spy. Plus, you know, N64 Goldeneye sorta cemented that era into my brain whether I like it or not.
Beez: Goldeneye for N64
Candystripes: Oddly, I havent seen that many Bond films, but Ive heard a lot more Bond theme songs. On the basis that I havent seen many, I guess Casino Royale is my favorite. Favorite theme, though, is a tie between Skyfall and Goldeneye, with Live and Let Die a close 3rd.
pkloa: Goldfinger, From Russia With Love, and Casino Royale are my favorites. For the obligatory hipster selection, Timothy Daltons The Living Daylights was the best one since You Only Live Twice.
MNW: The Living Daylights for me. Probably because its the only one I really recall ever watching.
WSR: You Only Live Twice. Is it problematic? Yes, yes it is. Just like every Connery Bond movie. But its just fun. And the scene with Lil Nellie is just over the top stupid and fun. The Moore movies were always fun, but I just feel like he was too old for the role at the time. If you could take The Saint-era Roger Moore, he would have been perfect. And by the way, find The Saint on whichever streaming service its on and watch it. Absolutely wonderful stuff.
What is the best thing you watched this year and why is it The History of the Seattle Mariners? - LL Sota
Jesse: So uh, not unlike my friend Mr. Bettor, most of my media consumption has been childrens shows. That said, Ive easily boiled down my favorites to DuckTales and Teen Titans. If forced to choose a specific episode in that grouping, give me the Freakazoid Teen Titans episode because Freakazoid.
As for actual best television, Better Call Saul Season 5 was spectacular. Its a slower show than Breaking Bad, but its great development and almost perfect casting. For a show that isnt really an unknown ending, its so good.
Beez: Most of the episodes of Lovecraft Country were phenomenal
Candystripes: Does 20020 count as watching or reading? Because, uh..that.
pkloa: For TV, Bojack Horseman was fantastic through its final stretch. The Boys season 2 was also great.
Going through imdb and Rotten Tomatoes, I realized I have not seen too many new movies. I thought Uncle Frank was good, but I suppose Borat Moviefilm takes the crown.
WSR: I dunno. I just started Schitts Creek recently, and the same person that got me to watch that also got me to watch Sherlock. Both have been quite fun. I found out that my new TV has a dedicated MST3K channel thats on 24 hours a day, and thats been blissful. The problem is that 2020 has been the longest decade of my life and I can barely remember from March to July. Just a damn blur.
Which B1G team will benefit the most from the extra year of eligibility that players can choose to take? - PrairieDogSharpshooter
Jesse: I SWEAR TO GOD IF PADDY FISHER STAYS FOR ANOTHER YEAR IM GONNA LOSE MY MIND. But, uh, I dunno. Probably someone like Illinois because it means you have the chance to have some stability at the top in excess of whatever saved recruiting class youre dealing with. Its not a bad deal.
Candystripes: Depending on who takes the year, it could very well be Indiana. I for one fervently hope that most if not all of this years team wants to run it back and take one more swing at doing something (or somethings) Indiana football has never done.
Beez: This question is very obviously a trick to get us to do like 3 hours of research.
pkloa: I have no clue, but I would like to recommend adding a C modifier when discussing student eligibility. For example, a freshman who redshirted 2019 and did not lose a year for 2020 because of COVID is a CRSFr for 2021 and has eligibility through 2024.
MNW: I like pkloas proposal, if just because I want to imagine seeing a covid redshirt punt returner listed as a CRSPR and laugh and tap my nose like I have any idea what that actually means in science terms.
I will posit that QB Peyton Ramsey and TE John Raine sticking around at Northwestern will make the Cats offense go again in 2021, but like beez and Candy, I will not be bothered to do the research or think about this in some measured way. Northwestern, 2021 Big Ten West champs, you heard it here first. (Well no, Im fairly sure some of our irregular commenters have already made that claim, but Im here year-round win-or-lose, so I get the cred, right?)
Fitz: staying or leaving? - NUDave
BoilerBettor: I cant decide if Fitz to Da Bears is a thing or not. Honestly, I hope it doesnt happen but it would be very par for the Mccaskey family to do it.
Jesse: He should stay because like, he has the best situation in football (outside the part where even if Northwestern is good, theyre laughed at because Northwestern). But the expectation is to win more than you lose, compete every once in a while, and just contain the bad seasons to 1-2 years at a time. Its his alma mater, and he has amazing financial support. Leaving that doesnt make sense to me, but stranger stuff has happened I guess.
MNW: Staying and Im certainly an objective figure, yessir, thank you.
In all honesty? If Fitz went to the Bears I would feel miles better about the Vikings and Kork fucking Coupons ability to beat them. Fitz would have to find new coordinators and not rely on the longevity and experience of someone like Mike Hankwitz...or thats how you wind up with Norv Turner, Chicago Bears OC.
And if I had to have the anchor of my collegiate football program pulled up like that, the lols that would ensue in Chicago would almost be worth it.
WSR: He should go. Hes got no personality, minimal charisma used only when trying to get something out of the media, a contempt for his players as anything more than disposable pieces. Shit, hes also averse to offensive football and has a closet full of purple.
Are we sure that Pat Fitzgerald isnt already coaching the Vikings in disguise?
Which Big Ten teams bowl ends up causing the biggest superspreader event? - Stormy Dragon
BoilerBettor: Well, this got dark. And the correct answer is WisCovid.
Jesse: Its uh, well, its gotta be the OSU-Clemson game. Two schools who have had outbreaks, in a game that fans will most assuredly travel to, in a stadium and city that isnt exactly doing fantastic, with at least one coach who Im pretty sure doesnt believe in any of this. So yeah, lets go with that.
Beez: Im not comfortable putting any bets on this. But the answer is Iowas bowl or anyone whos playing in Tennessee.
MNW: Fortunately, now that Iowa-Mizzou is off, thats less likely.
But the answer, like Jesse said, was always Ohio State-Clemson. Given some of the lovely communication Ive received from Buckeyes fans this fall, ol Bucknutz aint taking this seriously, and even grading on the curve that is South Carolina my hopes arent high for Clempsun fans.
WSR: Yeah, it was Iowa. Once the season was over the Hawkeyes players would let their guard down and finally be subjected to COVID. It was a medical miracle that they made it through the season, and Im sure the local media was all over it reporting and covering questionable actions by Ferentz & Co like they always do.
Which teams were most aberrant this year, and will therefore be most likely to turn it around/fall back to earth in 2021? - LandOfSkyBlueWaterGophers
Jesse: Northwestern is officially an even year team, so thats a thing. Um, I need to look at rosters, but Im also assuming Penn State is better than their record showed throughout the year.
Beez: These feel like two very different questions, to be honest. Northwestern seemed most aberrant, but I think Wisconsin and Penn State are the most likely to turn it around and/or have wildly different outcomes than this past season. Indiana and NW seem the obvious choices to fall back to earth, but Im not sure itll be all that dramatic.
MNW: I dont know that well even be able to count 2021 as a real season at this rate were counting on players getting vaccinated and campuses opening up fully and the public being able to fill stadiums again. Im honestly not optimistic at this point that 2021 will proceed as normal...and if it doesnt, youre looking at division champion Northwestern again.
WSR: Its Penn State, right? We all know that Northwestern just plays muckball and drags everyone down to their level and someone gets lucky in certain years. The only other outlier from normal is Indiana, and I dont want to take away joy from anyone that deserves it this year.
Does your teams head football coach have a calf tattoo of your most hated rivals mascot? - He was a high school quarterback (WSR Addendum - if your coach did have a tattoo, what would it be?)
Jesse: Still funny, and still no And uh, if Frost did have a calf tattoo, its 1000% going to be something real dumb like an american flag or like something to do with determination and grit or whatever. I dunno. Im bad at this game.
MNW: I really wish Fitz wouldve had a 2005 World Series Champs tattoo somewhere on him when he wouldve thrown out a first pitch at Wrigley.
Candystripes: Odds of Tom Allen having any Purdue symbol tattooed on him: 0%. Odds of Tom Allen having LEO tattooed on him (if not now, someday): >10%.
pkloa: How does one get a tattoo of nothing?
WSR: You know its a can of Red Bull personified to be holding a cup of coffee.
- Jill Duggar shows off her fresh haircut & teases big changes after reality star revealed she may get a... - The Sun - November 23rd, 2021
- 30 things to know about The Pyramid as the Memphis landmark turns 30 - Commercial Appeal - November 9th, 2021
- They created monsters: How New Zealands brutal welfare system produced criminals - The Guardian - October 29th, 2021
- Alone, starved and living with a brothers corpse. Why did no one save the Texas house of horror boys? - The Independent - October 29th, 2021
- Local Kan. elections getting taken over by bruising DC-style politics - Hays Post - October 29th, 2021
- Leaked Video Helped Lead to the Conviction of a Far Right "Proud Boy" - Truthout - October 17th, 2021
- For the Flyers Kevin Hayes, his big brother will never be gone - The Delaware County Daily Times - October 17th, 2021
- The Skys The Limit, On And Off The Court, And These Girls Have Got Next - CBS Chicago - October 17th, 2021
- 8 Best Places To Get A Tattoo for Both Men and Women - TheTealMango - October 5th, 2021
- Real Madrid 1-2 Sheriff: Sebastien Thill has tattoo of himself dreaming of the UCL - GIVEMESPORT - October 5th, 2021
- #BlackInkChi Recap: Ryan Confronts Former Friend After Sleeping With His Ex, Twitter Says Hes For The Streets - HipHopWired - October 5th, 2021
- Review: At the Hella Mega Tour it was all about the cult of Green Day - pacificsandiego.com - September 1st, 2021
- Matt Willis is removing his tattoos in a bid to bag top movie roles... - The Sun - August 20th, 2021
- Lauren Phillips Reveals The Matching 'Bad Tattoo' She Has With A Scottish Boy - KIIS1011 - August 20th, 2021
- R Kelly trial hears singer is a 'predator' who lured girls, boys and young women with his fame - ABC News - August 20th, 2021
- Why Jonah Hills body love tattoo is so important for the male body positive movement - Yahoo Life - August 6th, 2021
- What's New to Stream on Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+ and More in July 2021 - TV Guide - July 22nd, 2021
- Love Island: What tattoos does Danny Bibby have and what do they mean? - Metro.co.uk - July 22nd, 2021
- Capitol riot suspect arrested after giant tattoo revealed on video - The Independent - June 9th, 2021
- The Sacred Male Body Modification Practices That Still Exist Today - InsideHook - May 16th, 2021
- `We were never terrorists`: Proud Boys Canada officially dissolved` - WION - May 4th, 2021
- Farmer Boys celebrating 40th anniversary with free burger tattoo - KTNV Las Vegas - April 19th, 2021
- Here are the nine men from Hudson Valley charged with participating in Jan. 6 Capitol riot - Times Herald-Record - April 19th, 2021
- Crowdfunding Hate in the Name of Christ - The Nation - April 4th, 2021
- Guest Opinion | Reflections on the course Women Unknown: Fight for Independence - UI The Daily Iowan - April 4th, 2021
- Part 3: How a Trini played a role in the life of Nipsey Hussle - Loop News Trinidad and Tobago - April 4th, 2021
- We want to keep him alive Family, friends remember San Antonios Tito Bradshaw two years later - San Antonio Express-News - April 4th, 2021
- Quick on the draw: Castagna the chaotic Tiger with a tattoo gun - The Age - April 4th, 2021
- Love Island Australias Phoebe Thompson reveals WAP lip tattoo as she celebrates birthday - The Irish Sun - March 8th, 2021
- Brave, Powerful, Complicated: The Most Formidable Heroines In Film - British Vogue - March 8th, 2021
- Jaden Hill is LSU's ace pitcher who has a bigger calling in life: 'I'm chosen to help people' - The Advocate - February 19th, 2021
- Gangland: a book about meth and the people whose lives it touches - The Spinoff - February 17th, 2021
- SA tattoo artist to the stars on taking his skill abroad - News24 - February 14th, 2021
- Memories of dad help make University of Houston's Justin Gorham a rebounding machine - Houston Chronicle - February 11th, 2021
- Tauranga's strongest head to the Highlands - The Bay's News First - SunLive - February 6th, 2021
- Nick Carter of Backstreet Boys Got His Paris Hilton Tattoo Just 3 Week Before They Broke up - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 30th, 2021
- 2 Green Country Women Share Stories Through Tattoo Ink; Competing In National Contest - News On 6 - January 30th, 2021
- Gangs? Cliques? Subgroups? Call Them What You Will There've Been 18 (Yes, 18) In The LA Sheriff's Department - LAist - January 22nd, 2021
- Trump's useful thugs: how the Republican party offered a home to the Proud Boys - The Guardian - January 22nd, 2021
- Proud Boys among groups being watched as inauguration approaches. Do they have Northeast Ohio ties? - Akron Beacon Journal - January 20th, 2021
- Who are Proud Boys? The Western chauvinist far-right group explained and what Donald Trump has previously said about them - The Scotsman - January 15th, 2021
- Theyve been hidden too long: Report details Los Angeles Sheriffs deputy gangs and violence toward communities of color - East Bay Times - January 15th, 2021
- Hawaii Proud Boy Charged By DOJ After Raiding US Capitol - Honolulu Civil Beat - January 9th, 2021
- Swimming With My Shirt Off - The New York Times - January 9th, 2021
- How the Internet Reflected on and Coped With the Capitol Attack - Hyperallergic - January 9th, 2021
- Four months before her wedding, Mary knew it was over - Sydney Morning Herald - December 19th, 2020
- Family, determination and a dream: The Real Woods story - The Stanford Daily - December 16th, 2020
- Skating solo gives me time to study everyone else on the rink - The Globe and Mail - December 16th, 2020
- LOCAL NEWS BRIEFS: Price is Right Live show rescheduled - Goshen News - December 16th, 2020
- Controversial Mom Made One Of Her Twin Toddlers Get A Tattoo For Very Important Reason - BabyGaga - December 11th, 2020
- Mum of twins tattoos one so she can tell them apart leaving mother-in-law fuming - Daily Star - December 11th, 2020
- Farmingtons mayor of 12 years memorializes his experience in tattoo - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - December 8th, 2020
- Im A Celebrity superfan gets tattoo of Ant and Dec at Gwrych Castle inked onto his thigh - The Sun - December 1st, 2020
- MacAdam: Fascination with Mike Tyson began in Albany - The Daily Gazette - November 27th, 2020
- 'Home town boys' return to Philippi Main Street - The Inter-Mountain - November 20th, 2020
- The Post-Election Proud Boys Meltdown Is Here, and It's Ugly - The Daily Beast - November 12th, 2020
- I just want to be with my friends: how will children cope with being cooped up again in second lockdown? - The Guardian - November 9th, 2020
- 240+ Inspirational & Meaningful One Word Tattoos (2020 ... - November 6th, 2020
- 75+ Best Small Tattoos For Men (2020) - Simple Cool ... - November 6th, 2020
- Tickets for sale in Snohomish County and around the region - The Daily Herald - November 5th, 2020
- Seances, tattoos and the unbreakable bond between Mikaela Mayer and Al Mitchell - ESPN - October 30th, 2020
- Students rediscover their childhood fandoms on TikTok - Daily Northwestern - October 29th, 2020
- Chase Winovich talks playing time, conspiracy theories with Zolak & Bertrand - 98.5 The Sports Hub - October 22nd, 2020
- The Cycle of Punitive Justice Starts in Schools. Eric Butler Is Showing Kids and Teachers How to Break It. - Mother Jones - October 21st, 2020
- The Proud Boys? - SOFREP - October 16th, 2020
- Theatre Alliance to perform outdoor production of Devil Boys from Beyond - Yes! Weekly - October 16th, 2020
- Freshers' Flu - Why My Mum Invented COVID - Cherwell Online - October 10th, 2020
- Who Are the Proud Boys Trump Told To 'Stand Back and Stand By'? - Snopes.com - October 8th, 2020
- Dan Osbornes tattoo shows hes protective of Jacqueline Jossa & the meaning behind Brooklyn Beckhams spoo - The Sun - October 7th, 2020
- When the Proud Boys came to town - The Economist - October 7th, 2020
- The ten essential facts you need to know about BTS's Suga - Film Daily - October 6th, 2020
- 30 Best Neck Tattoos for Boys and Girls - The Best Tattoo ... - September 30th, 2020
- Best 100+ Tattoo Designs For Men and Boys - Youme And Trends - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys, the extremist group Trump named in the debate - Insider - INSIDER - September 30th, 2020
- Fred Perry Will Denounce Proud Boys, But The President Won't - Highsnobiety - September 30th, 2020
- Hooligans With Heart: Phoenix Risings Red Fury fan club reaches out to refugees - Cronkite News - September 30th, 2020
- Whats New on Netflix UK & Top 10s: September 30th, 2020 - What's on Netflix - September 30th, 2020
- From the Fields: Soaking it up now | agrinews-pubs.com - Agri News - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys and why did Trump tell them to stand by? - The Irish Sun - September 30th, 2020
- The Giant Proud Boy Rally That Wasn't - VICE - September 28th, 2020