Musicians are barely getting a slice of music industry revenue, largely eating off of live performances instead. For Tour Tales, we dig into the rider requests, delayed shows, diligent preparation, and future of touring by talking with the multitude of people that move behind the scenes. Record executives, photographers, tour managers, artists, and more all break down what goes into touring and why its still so vital to the livelihood of your favorite artists. What happens on tour stays on Tour Tales.
Crowned YB has been shooting Dave East for years and knows exactly how much his fans love him. People are always getting his lyrics tattooed on themselves. Girls get his face tatted on them. Guys too, the photographer told REVOLT. Theres a guy who brings the same jersey that says Don Pablo on it and has had it signed by Dave about 10 times.
In this installment of Tour Tales, Easts photographer discusses the rappers relationship with the late Kiing Shooter, how she captures his family moments onstage, and the sacrifices shes made just to photograph him. Peep the convo below.
What was the first show you shot for Dave East?
It was part of the Get It How I Live Tour. I feel it was at Webster in Connecticut. I feel that was my first show with him. My partner at the time and I drove out there, and we were coming to just get Dave additional shots because he already had his cameraperson. We had been going to the studio with Dave a month before that. I actually crashed my drone that day trying to get a shot of the front of the venue (laughs). I put the drone up, got the shot, but I wasnt recording. I only had two minutes left on my battery, so I put it back up in the air ad by the time it came down, it crashed. That was my first time being on stage with Dave, experiencing the crowd and the interaction.
I wasnt officially on the Get It How I Live Tour, but whenever they were in the states or close by locally, I drove there. I may have done five shows on that tour off of just pulling up and them allowing me access. Anytime he hit me up, I pulled up. My partner and I would shoot together and Id have a second angle at all times. The Survival Tour is when I officially became his videographer.
Over the years, how did you adapt to Daves show to get his best shots?
After being a fan of his, I saw how he moves onstage. It depends on the crowd. If its a really big crowd with a crazy light show, I like to shoot from behind when hes entering the stage, so you can see everything going on. If Im chopping up the footage from multiple shows, Ill shoot in front of him because there are times hell come out with his daughter on his hip and other cool moments. He jumps out in the crowd a lot, so you have to be on the side of him, as well.
What did you have to adapt to on the Survival Tour?
I had to adapt to not always carrying around my equipment and knowing when to leave stuff behind. You can end up losing things, breaking things, and you dont want that to happen. I learned to reach out to other creatives more. No matter what state or country I was in, I would post on Instagram asking if there were any other photographers or videographers in the area. It was a way for him to get multiple types of angles and a way for other creatives to get their name out there. We worked with AtotheKash. ASB is a good friend of Dave and [Kiing] Shooter from London, and he met us in Ireland. He had a shooter with him who said if you need a light or a helping hand, I got you. Its dope keeping that communication with other creatives.
What was the craziest crowd on that tour?
The craziest crowd was in London. It was a sold-out show and that was insane. Another shot was in Dubai where there were over 20,000 people in the crowd. It was a huge stage and set up. Dave went into the crowd amongst all the fans. You had fans holding up shirts that said Harlem. Those were pretty crazy shots.
Which were tour hits?
Night Shift definitely goes crazy. I feel that shit always starts a mosh pit on tour. A lot of his old music too his freestyles. A lot of stuff you didnt expect people would know overseas, they did. It shocked us. Don Pablo always goes crazy out there. Overseas, theyll know the music he started with word for word along with the new music.
What are some notable fan interactions youve seen?
People are always getting his lyrics tattooed on themselves. Girls get his face tatted on them. Guys too. A lot of people like to bring merchandise theyve bought off of him and have him sign it. Theres a guy who brings the same jersey that says Don Pablo on it and has had it signed by Dave about 10 times.
What were Daves thoughts about the different countries you all visited?
Were all crazy on Pure Leaf ice tea. Its all we drink (laughs). When we were overseas, they dont have any of our drinks. Even their sodas arent like our sodas. We were drinking Lipton peach tea in these foreign countries and that wasnt it (laughs). That was one of our complaints. Obviously, we can't smoke in these places, the main one being Dubai. The stress level for the first few days there was really insane. But, by the time you get over that and enjoy where you are in the moment, you end up loving it. That ended up being our favorite place we visited. In Dubai, we went to a private zoo at somebodys palace.
What are some moments you knew not to record or take any photos?
When hes around any big celebrities. So, the first time hes around Nas, you dont want to automatically take your camera out even though that initial greeting is the moment you want to capture. That moment can be awkward and you dont want to ruin the moment. You always ask permission first. When Mary J. Blige came into the studio, I didnt even think to pull out the camera because I was starstruck. Also, Scott Storch.
Hes also really close with his family and has them at his shows like last years Rolling Loud.
He flew them out to Amsterdam. That was a crazy show. His parents were able to be there.
Didnt you get a tattoo on the Survival Tour?
Yeah, in France with Shooter, I got a tattoo. He was actually in the hotel getting tattooed all day. I always told him I wanted to get a tattoo. I just didnt know he was going to do it on tour (laughs). I went down to his room and I thought about getting the audio wavelength of me saying survival on the album. It took three minutes probably. Also, having that memory with [Kiing] Shooter is something Ill never forget.
Rest in peace to Shooter. What was his and Daves relationship like on tour?
To be honest, Ive never seen them fight or argue. They were that close. That bond was very authentic and very real. Shooter was a very loyal person like Dave is. Shooter wasnt rapping when they first became friends. Just from Daves influence, he was becoming a rapper and bigger than what people thought he would be. It was super dope seeing Shooter around Dave, moving around like he was talent, as well.
How did the pandemic change your 2020 with Dave?
We had an entire West coast leg of the tour. That got canceled. Rolling Loud got canceled. We had to dedicate our time to the studio and lock in. When things opened up for that short moment, we were able to go to Atlanta and Miami. But, that was very private. A year ago, we were in another country hugging people, but you cant do that now, which is weird. But, you just have to adapt to it.
Read this article:
- Ruby Rose on gender, bullying and breaking free: I had a problem with authority - The Guardian - April 4th, 2021
- Traditional Croatian Tattoos: Meet the tattoo artist keeping tradition alive - Croatia Week - March 8th, 2021
- David and Victoria Beckham Have a Matching Hebrew Tattoo Here's What It Means - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 8th, 2021
- Exotic Body Works celebrates 25th anniversary - Hammonton Gazette - February 14th, 2021
- Gigi Hadid and Zayn Malik now have matching tattoos in honour of their daughter Emirates Woman - Emirates Woman - February 11th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Irish Sun - February 11th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Sun - February 10th, 2021
- 10 Celebs Who Have Finger Tattoos | TheThings - TheThings - February 7th, 2021
- Kamala Harris' Stepdaughter Ella Emhoff Is Making Waves Get To Know The Rising Model In 5 Snaps - OK! - February 4th, 2021
- Problems with girls and the Troubles with men - The Irish Times - February 4th, 2021
- New Movies to Watch This Week: Supernova, The Little Things, Palmer - Variety - February 2nd, 2021
- Cops investigated kidnappings, extortions, teen runaways across California. Victims all ended up at same motel, forced into sex trafficking, feds say... - January 27th, 2021
- 'Miss Scarlet and the Duke' Recap: Episode 2 - WTTW News - January 25th, 2021
- The tattoo on her arm said it all: Grace Orzechowski was a fighter - Concord Monitor - January 20th, 2021
- Modern, Edgy And Bold: Different Bob Cuts For Girls To Try - Femina - January 15th, 2021
- What's New on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Disney+, and More in January 2021 - TV Guide - January 15th, 2021
- KVD Vegan Beauty Announces Launch of Limited-Edition Tattoo Liner with Global Organization, Girl Up - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2021
- Sonakshi Sinha Paints The Town Yellow in an Embroidered Cape Set from the Shelves of Arpita Mehta Worth Rs 39 - India.com - January 12th, 2021
- Musician tattoo stories | Wild and funny tattoos - Alternative Press - January 12th, 2021
- 40+ YA Book Cover Artists and Designers to Follow on Instagram - Book Riot - January 12th, 2021
- FIRST LOOK: Meet the contestants for new reality dating show The Cabins - FM104 - January 5th, 2021
- The Cabins cast: Meet all the contestants in the winter Love Island dating show - The Sun - January 5th, 2021
- What's New on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Disney+, and More in January 2021 - TV Guide - January 3rd, 2021
- Gothika Ending, Explained | Why Did Miranda See the Boy's Ghost? - The Cinemaholic - December 31st, 2020
- An Interview with Gareth Johnson MP by Neve Wilson, Dartford Grammar School for Girls - This is Local London - December 31st, 2020
- Everything coming to and leaving Netflix in January 2021 - Fox News - December 28th, 2020
- Well At Least Some Positives for Women in 2020 - The Citizen - December 27th, 2020
- Jollof Couscous & Leather Jackets: Inside The Mind Of Enny - British Vogue - December 25th, 2020
- This is Justin Vernon from Bon Ivers favourite song of all time - Far Out Magazine - December 25th, 2020
- Family beg dad who disappeared after saying he was 'going away' to call this Christmas - Liverpool Echo - December 25th, 2020
- Shows like Black Widows that you may like; from Django Unchained to Gone Girl & more - Republic World - December 25th, 2020
- Michaela Garechts mother reacts to arrest of suspect in 1988 Hayward kidnapping of 9-year-old daughter - San Francisco Chronicle - December 25th, 2020
- The Interview Gift Guide That Gives Back - Interview - December 23rd, 2020
- 25 Feather Tattoos for Girls in 2020 NewShables - December 21st, 2020
- How sexy these tattoos on intimate body parts of women ... - December 21st, 2020
- How I Met Your Mother: 10 Worst First Dates The Characters Had - Screen Rant - December 21st, 2020
- Sabrina Carpenter's Got Her Very First Tattoo, and It's a Reference to Her "Lucky" Life - POPSUGAR Beauty Austrailia - December 18th, 2020
- Whats New On Netflix In January: Night Stalker, History of Swear Words, Cobra Kai And More - BroBible - December 18th, 2020
- Roxanne First Shares Her Inspirations - Vanity Fair - December 16th, 2020
- So, What the Hell Folk Tales Is Taylor Swift Telling Now on evermore? - Vulture - December 12th, 2020
- The Work Diary of Mira Mariah, Tattoo and Girl Culture Expert - The New York Times - December 11th, 2020
- Strongest girl in the world: Meet the 7-year-old who can lift 80 kg - The Indian Express - December 11th, 2020
- Mum of twins divides opinion after tattooing one baby to help tell them apart - Heart - December 11th, 2020
- Three Oaks wants INKED to raise awareness - Toronto Star - December 11th, 2020
- [150+] Beautiful Wrist Tattoo Ideas ... - Tattoos for Girls - December 6th, 2020
- The girl with her own tattoos: the joy of homemade ink - The Guardian - December 6th, 2020
- 35 Hand Tattoos for Women | Cute Tattoos For Girls On Hand - December 6th, 2020
- Emily Viti's son has MPS and the Framingham High volleyball coach is fighting to find a cure for the terminal disease - Milford Daily News - December 6th, 2020
- Mara and Dona: Argentine twins a living tribute to soccer great - Reuters - November 28th, 2020
- Born into occupation, young Afghans fear the Taliban will crush their freedoms when US troops exit - Anchorage Daily News - November 23rd, 2020
- Environmental contest's winning displays and essays are on exhibit at Jeff Library - NOLA.com - November 18th, 2020
- Tiffany Calver: Living the dream | DJMag.com - DJ Mag - November 18th, 2020
- Blind date: 'We realised we have matching tattoos' - The Guardian - November 16th, 2020
- Tattooed twins from Germany (PHOTOS) - The Saxon - November 12th, 2020
- A Clover in weeds, loss, homelessness, beatings and love - Tucson Weekly - November 5th, 2020
- The Real Housewives of New York City's First-Ever Black Housewife Isn't Holding Back - The Daily Beast - November 3rd, 2020
- Every time Bollywood actresses proved that they are protective mothers - Times Now - November 3rd, 2020
- Broadley, BF girls three-peat on Thetford trail - Brattleboro Reformer - November 1st, 2020
- Jack Nowell: Would I get a tattoo of Eddie Jones? Only if he promises to pick me for every England game - iNews - October 31st, 2020
- Ronald Hall, Worcester man accused of human trafficking, kept women addicted to drugs and had his nickname ta - MassLive.com - October 30th, 2020
- Learner Dad: 'I need to get the kids to write an early Santa letter so they cant change their minds' - Irish Examiner - October 27th, 2020
- 133 Inspiring Cute and Small Tattoos Ideas for Girls - October 22nd, 2020
- 30 Beautiful Tattoos for Girls 2020 - Meaningful Tattoo ... - October 22nd, 2020
- Jill Duggar's Tattoo Opinions Have Changed, but Does She Have One? - Distractify - October 22nd, 2020
- Sophie Turner wears vote hoodie on stroll with Joe Jonas and baby girl - Metro.co.uk - October 22nd, 2020
- Jacqueline Jossa reveals her incredible singing voice in the car after admitting she wants to sing on stage - The Irish Sun - October 22nd, 2020
- Jacqueline Jossa reveals her incredible singing voice in the car after admitting she wants to sing on stage - The Sun - October 21st, 2020
- Vanessa Bryant reveals new tattoo dedicated to Kobe and their 4 girls (photo) - Rolling Out - October 16th, 2020
- Pomp it Up: On the wild side with Motley Crue - Pueblo Chieftain - October 16th, 2020
- Coronavirus is killing haunted houses, but we still have real horror stories to scare you - Detroit Free Press - October 16th, 2020
- Glimpse inside Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's Tattoos and the True Meaning behind Them - AmoMama - October 14th, 2020
- Mike Tyson Almost Got an Even Crazier Tattoo on His Face Thankfully He Didn't - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 14th, 2020
- Mike Tyson's Tribal Face Tattoo Got a Wild Reaction From a Woman in the Tribe - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 14th, 2020
- 10 Gilmore Girl Tattoo Ideas That Would Earn Lorelai and Rory's Stamp of Approval - POPSUGAR - October 10th, 2020
- 10 Gilmore Girl Tattoo Ideas That Would Earn Lorelai and Rory's Stamp of Approval - POPSUGAR Beauty Austrailia - October 9th, 2020
- Cancer survivor views tattoos as another recovery technique - Leader Publications - October 7th, 2020
- Revisiting Hellboy, the mixtape that captured Lil Peep's breakout energy - Dazed - October 7th, 2020
- 'Mr Snake': Meet the teacher who is France's most tattooed man - The Phnom Penh Post - October 6th, 2020
- Healing wheels: 63-year-old skates her way to cancer recovery - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - October 6th, 2020
- Benjamin Keough laid to rest next to his grandfather Elvis at Graceland - The Irish Sun - October 2nd, 2020