For nearly three decades, David Fincher has been making gorgeous bummer movies that in defiance of Hollywoods first principle insist that happy endings are a lie. Filled with virtuosic images of terrible deeds and violence, his movies entertain almost begrudgingly. Even when good somewhat triumphs, the victories come at a brutal cost. No one, Fincher warns, is going to save us. You will hurt and you will die, and sometimes your pretty wifes severed head will end up in a box.
Long a specialized taste, Fincher in recent years started to feel like an endangered species: a commercial director who makes studio movies for adult audiences, in an industry in thrall to cartoons and comic books. His latest, Mank, a drama about the film industry, was made for Netflix, though. Its an outlier in his filmography. Its violence is emotional and psychological, and theres only one corpse, even if its self-destructive protagonist, Herman J. Mankiewicz (Gary Oldman), can look alarmingly cadaverous. Set in Hollywoods golden age, it revisits his tenure in one of the most reliably bitter and underappreciated Hollywood tribes, a.k.a. screenwriters.
Part of the movie takes place in the early 1930s, when Herman was at Paramount and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer; the other section focuses on when he was holed up in 1940 writing Citizen Kane for Orson Welles, its star, producer, director and joint writer. Like that film, Mank written by Finchers father, Jack Fincher kinks time, using the past to reflect on the present. Its flashbacks largely involve Hermans boozy, yakky days and nights at Hearst Castle in the company of its crypt keeper, the newspaper tycoon William Randolph Hearst, and his lover, the actress Marion Davies. There amid the waxworks, Herman plays the court jester, as a few intimates unkindly note.
Hollywood loves gently self-flagellating stories about its horrible, wonderful doings; theres a reason it keeps remaking A Star Is Born. The lash stings harder and more unforgivingly in Mank than it does in most of these reflexive entertainments, though Finchers movie also sentimentalizes the industry, most obviously in its soft-focus view of both Herman and Marion (Amanda Seyfried), a poor little rich dame. In narrative terms, Marion is Hermans doppelgnger: a self-immolating avatar of decency thats otherwise missing in their crowd. Their real tragedy, at least here, is that theyre in the movie business, and, as punishment, each must endure the unhappy patronage of a great man: Marion under Hearst and Herman with Orson.
The two narrative lines in Mank never make coherent, interesting sense, no matter how Fincher jams them together. The big news during Hermans MGM years is the industrys (and Hearsts) propagandistic drive to torpedo the writer Upton Sinclairs 1934 run for governor of California. The real Herman Mankiewicz doesnt seem to have had much of anything to do with this chapter in American cinema, but Hollywood has rarely let fact get in the way of a juicy story and Mank fully commits to its chronicle of events. But it doesnt just stop there: It tethers Mankiewiczs nonexistent role in this disinformation campaign to his role in Citizen Kane, a fascinatingly self-serving flex.
FINCHER WAS 27 when he was hired for Alien 3, his first feature. Welles was 25 when he began filming Citizen Kane, the most famous directorial debut in cinema history. Theres little to connect the men other than cinema. Welles had a background in radio and theater; Fincher had worked in postproduction before he started directing commercials and music videos. The Hollywood each man worked in was also different, though by the time Fincher made his first film for 20th Century Fox, the industry had weathered multiple existential threats beyond the coming of sound, including the end of the old studio system and the introduction of television and, later, home video.
By the time that Fincher was working on Alien 3 (1992), the Hollywood that had warily welcomed and then turned on Welles was gone and the studios were part of multinational conglomerates. If only they could get rid of these actors and directors, then maybe theyve got something, dreams a film executive in Robert Altmans satire The Player (1992), an acid summation of the industrys corporate mind-set. Fincher had a tough time with Fox during Alien 3, and with many others involved in its creation, partly because it wasnt his to control. But the film established his directorial persona as prodigiously talented and uncompromisingly meticulous. David wants it to be perfect every second, Michael Landon, a Fox executive, told Premiere.
The entertainment industry loves the word genius as much as it hates its actual geniuses, as Welless history illustrates. Fincher had already been anointed a wunderkind when he was directing videos, back when his production-company colleague, Michael Bay, was known as the little Fincher. Sigourney Weaver, the star of the Alien series, called Fincher a genius, and so did Charles Dance, who played a doctor in Alien 3 and Hearst in Mank. Whether Fincher thought he was or not, he did repeat some wisdom that his father had once dropped on him: Learn your craft it will never stop you from being a genius.
It was already clear from Finchers music videos that he knew where to put the camera, when to move it and, crucially, how to make all the many different moving parts in his work flow together into a harmonious whole. Theres a reason that Martin Scorsese met him early on and that when Steven Soderbergh was preparing to make his caper film Oceans Eleven, he studied Finchers work. I realized that its all instinct for him, Soderbergh said of his friend in a 2000 L.A. Weekly interview. I was breaking it down, but hes going on gut. Fincher had also been developing his skill set since he was young: when he was a teenager, he worked at Industrial Light & Magic.
Alien 3 bombed and, for Fincher, remains a wound that has never healed. His resurrection came a few years later with Seven (1995), a brutal thriller that turned him into Hollywoods Mr. Buzzkill, and put him on the path toward fan devotion bordering on the cultlike. Its Grand Guignol flourishes were attention-grabbing, yes, but what knocked some of us out was Finchers visual style, with its crepuscular lighting, immaculate staging and tableaus. Striking too was the visceral, claustrophobic feeling of inescapable doom. It was as if Fincher were trying to seal his audience up in a very lovely, very cold tomb. It was an easier movie to admire than love, but I was hooked.
It can be foolish to try to read directors through their movies, though Fincher invites such speculation, partly because he isnt particularly expansive on what drives him. While promoting Seven, Fincher told the journalist Mark Salisbury that he was interested in movies that scar. And when Salisbury noted that the end of Seven was unusually depressing for Hollywood, Fincher laughed. Excellent, he said, most movies these days dont make you feel anything so if you can make people feel something He didnt finish that sentence; he didnt need to. He finished it with his movies, with their bruises, despair and, unusual for today, insistently feel-bad endings.
Most of Finchers protagonists are nice-looking, somewhat boyish, WASP-y white male professionals, kind of like him. Even when they dont die, they suffer. Notably, whatever their differences, they engage in an epistemological search that grows progressively obsessive and at times violent. These are characters who want to know, who need to know even when the answers remain elusive: Where is my wife? Who is the murderer? Who am I? Their search for answers is difficult and creates or exacerbates a crisis in their sense of self. In Alien 3, the heroine, Ripley, realizes that she will give birth to a monster. In Fight Club (1999), the heros split personalities beat each other up. Always there is a struggle for control, over oneself and over others.
Fight Club centers on an Everyman, Jack (Edward Norton), who unwittingly develops a split personality he calls Tyler (Brad Pitt). Together, they create a mens movement that swells from bare-knuckle fights to acts of terroristic violence (they enjoy better production values). The movie flopped and several executives at Fox, which had backed it, lost their jobs. The Fox chairman Rupert Murdoch apparently hated the film, which helped solidify Finchers reputation as a kind of outsider, if one whom other studios continued to give millions. Its the paradigmatic Fincher movie, a gut punch delivered by a dude in a baseball cap. I am Jacks smirking revenge.
IN 1995, A FEW WEEKS after Seven opened, I interviewed Fincher at Propaganda Films, the production company hed helped found. He was funny, chatty and spoke fluidly about movie history and the technological shifts affecting the art and industry. If you can dream it, he said of digital, you can see it. He talked about the silent era, John Huston and Billy Wilder. And then you have Welles walking into the thing going, OK lets turn the whole [expletive] thing on its ear, Fincher said. We know it can talk, can it move, can it be opera? Welles was already a touchstone for Fincher, whose 1989 music video for Madonna, Oh Father, alludes to Citizen Kane with snowy flashbacks. Fincher also mentioned Mankiewicz in passing.
He talked about being crucified for Alien 3, and how hed known that his next movie would need to use genre to get people in their seats and deal with some of what interested him, namely a certain fascination with violence. He was, he said, someone who slowed down on the freeway to look at accidents. When I was a kid, literally from the time I was about 5 years old until I was about 10 years old, Fincher said, I could not go to sleep, I would have nightmares. Years later, when he made Zodiac (2007), he told interviewers about growing up in Marin County, where the killer had threatened to shoot schoolkids. It was easy to wonder if this was why the young Fincher couldnt sleep.
Two years after Seven blew up the box office, the trades started running items about Mank, which Fincher was interested in directing with Kevin Spacey in the title role. Fincher said Mank would be a black-and-white period piece about the creation of one of the greatest screenplays ever written and the man who did it in almost total anonymity. Instead, he triumphed with The Social Network (2010) and baffled with The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2011). By the time he managed to direct Mank, it was for Netflix and Murdoch had sold the Fox studio to Disney, which killed it. He hadnt made a movie since Gone Girl, a pulpy hit, six years earlier.
Fincher has directed only 11 feature movies; since Gone Girl, he has been busy making television. These include the Netflix shows House of Cards, about D.C. power players, and Mindhunter, about criminal profilers. Each is of a thematic and visual piece with Finchers work, but neither feels worthy of his talent. Maybe he doesnt care. He made what he wanted and, perhaps more important, the way that he wanted. He might care more if he wrote his movies, but like most old-studio directors, he doesnt. Mostly, I think, he just wants to work. Netflix has been incredibly respectful, he told the DGA Quarterly in 2013. I wonder if he feels that respect when you hit pause, as I did during Mank, and a Netflix pop-up asks if youre enjoying the program.
There are all sorts of ways to look at Mank as a vindication of Mankiewicz, as an assault on Welles. Its both, its neither. In truth, the two characters are fundamentally in service to a movie that, in its broadest strokes, enshrines its own loathing of the industry, partly through its strained relationship to the truth. It was Herman Mankiewiczs filmmaker brother, Joe (All About Eve), who did his bit to help sink Upton Sinclairs campaign. By bending the facts, though, Mank does give Herman Mankiewicz an ostensibly righteous excuse for putting what hed picked up at Hearst Castle into Citizen Kane. In Mank, he sells out a friend to stick it to the industry.
Theres nothing new about movies taking liberties with the truth, and the canard that Herman Mankiewicz was the main architect of Citizen Kane has been rebutted by prodigious scholarship. The movies insistence on heroizing him, though, is a puzzle, particularly because Welles was the more persuasive outsider. Hollywood is a gold-plated suburb suitable for golfers, gardeners, assorted middlemen and contented movie stars, Welles said in 1947. I am none of these things. Its no wonder that Hollywood and its birds in their gilded cages hated him. They kept flapping while Welles made his movies, becoming an independent filmmaker before Sundance existed.
I cant shake how eulogistic Mank feels. Maybe it would have felt different on the big screen, but because of the pandemic I watched it on my television. As I did, I kept flashing on Sunset Boulevard, Billy Wilders grim 1950 satire about another studio writer adrift in the waxworks. During that film, a forgotten silent-screen star famously says that the pictures have gotten small, a nod both to TVs threat and Hollywood itself. I wondered if Mank was Finchers own elegy for an industry that increasingly has no interest in making movies like his and is, perhaps relatedly, facing another existential threat in streaming. Not long after, I read that hed signed an exclusive deal with Netflix. The pictures would remain small, but at least he would remain in control.
- Share your pictures and stories of pet tattoos - The Guardian - May 28th, 2021
- "Overacting Ki Dukaan": Actress Arti Singh Trolled For Her Vaccination Pics - NDTV - May 16th, 2021
- Dr Gregor Smith: Tattooed chief medical officer surprises Scots with stunning body art as he receives coronavirus vaccine jag - The Scotsman - May 4th, 2021
- Billie Eilish Tattoos: Guide to Ink Designs and Their Meanings - J-14 - May 4th, 2021
- Here are the nine men from Hudson Valley charged with participating in Jan. 6 Capitol riot - The Journal News / Lohud.com - April 19th, 2021
- Jennifer Aniston Shares Meaning of '11 11' Tattoo: Pics - Us Weekly - March 8th, 2021
- PICTURES: Care home residents at Innis Mhor in Tain make an impression with special tattoos - Northern Times - March 8th, 2021
- Father-Son Duo Facing Charges of Armed Pot Robbery - The Peoples Vanguard of Davis - March 8th, 2021
- Rohanpreet Singh gets a tattoo of wife Neha Kakkars name! - The Tribune India - February 19th, 2021
- Valentines Day 2021: Neha Kakkars Husband Rohanpreet Singh Gets Nehus Man Tattooed On His Arm; Lady Gushes Over Him And Calls It The Best Gift Ever-... - February 17th, 2021
- Rohanpreet Singh gets a tattoo for Neha Kakkar on Valentines Day; 'Nehu's man', it reads; check it out - The Tribune India - February 14th, 2021
- Norfolk tattooist turns to art in lockdown - Eastern Daily Press - February 14th, 2021
- CrimeStoppers says face masks are making it harder to identify wanted criminals - KHON2 - February 11th, 2021
- Sapna Choudhary gets husband Veer Sahu's name tattooed on her arm | Latest photos - India TV News - February 6th, 2021
- Khushi Kapoor is OBSESSED with tattoos; Take a look at these PHOTOS which prove the same - PINKVILLA - February 4th, 2021
- Best of Jackson 2021: Community and Culture - Jackson Free Press - February 4th, 2021
- All About Alev Aydin, Halsey's Boyfriend and Father of Her Child - ELLE.com - February 2nd, 2021
- Who is Leni Klum? 5 fascinating facts about Heidi Klum's 16-year-old daughter who walked her first runway - MEAWW - January 27th, 2021
- BTS Jungkooks tattoo to Jennies 25th birthday; Heres a weekly round-up of K-pops - Republic World - January 24th, 2021
- UK lotto winner shares photo of her bizarre bum tattoos on Instagram - NEWS.com.au - January 22nd, 2021
- 90 Day Fiance: Everything To Know About Yolanda's Ex Josh Seiter - Screen Rant - January 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share 6 of their favorite designs to ink, and 5 they don't really like - Insider - INSIDER - January 12th, 2021
- Chicago Activist Outs Local Insurgents Who Traveled To Capitol - WBEZ - January 12th, 2021
- POLICE LOOKING FOR SUSPECT IN TOOL THEFT FROM LOWE'S IN DECEMBER - wccsradio.com - January 9th, 2021
- Brad Pitt Shows Off His 7 Back Tattoos As He Goes Snorkeling In Turks And Caicos - SpotboyE - January 5th, 2021
- Raheem Sterling's tattoos explained: What do they mean and where are they on his body? - Goal (English) - January 5th, 2021
- Inspired by the sun's nourishment - Otago Daily Times - January 5th, 2021
- Raheem Sterling's tattoos explained: What do they mean and where are they on his body? - Goal.com - January 3rd, 2021
- The Nashville explosion slammed these small businesses. They'll need help digging out - WLS - December 28th, 2020
- Ink Master Season 1: Where Are They Now? Ink Master Season 1 Winners Today - The Cinemaholic - December 25th, 2020
- Police trying to ID woman hit by van - Times-Mail - December 23rd, 2020
- Chhavi Mittal Flaunting Her Stomach Tattoo Dedicated To Hubby, Mohit Hussein Screams Of Eternal Love - BollywoodShaadis.com - December 21st, 2020
- Mom-To-Be Kareena Kapoor Khan Turns Author, Shares How The Subject Of Her Book Is Close To Her Heart - BollywoodShaadis.com - December 21st, 2020
- Fantasy Island reboot on the cards - The New Indian Express - December 18th, 2020
- She was in Iraq when her son was killed. Four years later, the police have no leads. - Houston Chronicle - December 17th, 2020
- Sushmita Sen And Rohman Shawl Vacay In Dubai, Her Brother, Rajeev And Wife, Charu To Join Them Soon - BollywoodShaadis.com - December 16th, 2020
- Nipsey Hussle, The LAPD And The Inescapable Trap Of Gang Affiliation - NPR - December 14th, 2020
- This Alberta dad sat through 30 hours of tattoo pain so his son would feel better about birthmark - CBC.ca - December 11th, 2020
- Mom-to-be Kareena Kapoor Khan snapped with hubby Saif Ali Khan; latter's new tattoo grabs everyone's atte - Times of India - December 11th, 2020
- Gwen Stefani reveals why shes delayed Blake Shelton wedding - Metro.co.uk - December 9th, 2020
- Madonna, 62, Gets Her Very 1st Tattoo and the Beautiful Design Is Touchingly Beautiful - Us Weekly - December 8th, 2020
- At the age of 68, Purnimas mother with a tattoo on her arm! - Primetime - December 8th, 2020
- Lost Gypsy Tattoo holds giveaway to encourage holiday sponsorship of veterans, children in need - Hazard Herald - December 5th, 2020
- Chris Evans and His Dog, Dodger, Have the Purest Bond See Their Cutest Photos - POPSUGAR - December 5th, 2020
- Press photographer's new collections of snapshots bring Swindon's history to life - Swindon Advertiser - December 2nd, 2020
- Justin Bieber wants 'a little tribe' of kids with wife Hailey Baldwin - Metro.co.uk - December 1st, 2020
- Merrill man charged with making child pornography after investigators say they identified him by his tattoo - Wausau Daily Herald - November 25th, 2020
- Kunal Kemmu's tattoo will leave you impressed - Times of India - November 25th, 2020
- Karan Mehra And Nisha Rawal Celebrate 8th Wedding Anniversary, Share Photoshoot Pictures With Kavish - BollywoodShaadis.com - November 25th, 2020
- Dipika Kakkar Flaunts 'Shoaika' Tattoo, Calls it Her Reason for Happiness - News18 - November 25th, 2020
- When Tracey was Traci: Emin's unseen early paintings published for the first time - The Guardian - November 23rd, 2020
- Dipika Kakar gets a tattoo of 'Shoaika' on her hand dedicated to her and Shoaib's love - News Track English - November 21st, 2020
- 2021 Oscar Predictions: Best Picture [Updated November 19] - Gold Derby - November 20th, 2020
- I'm A Celebrity: Jordan gets a helping hand from Gavin and Stacey - Metro.co.uk - November 20th, 2020
- Lisa Congdon On Creativity, Activism, and Finding Your Flow - Brit + Co - November 20th, 2020
- Is it the last of the Camden Lock mohicans? - Camden New Journal newspapers website - November 18th, 2020
- Is Angelina Pivarnick already headed for divorce? Heres why Jersey Shore fans think she and Chris L ... - Monsters and Critics - November 18th, 2020
- Unseen Pictures Of Arpita Khan Sharma And Aayush Sharma From 'Grih Pravesh' Ceremony Post-Wedding - BollywoodShaadis.com - November 18th, 2020
- Police release pictures of three men wanted for knife and bat attack on woman in Lancaster - Lancashire Post - November 16th, 2020
- Tattoo Inks Market Expected To Witness A Sustainable Growth Over 2026 - PRnews Leader - November 6th, 2020
- Brooklyn, son of David Beckham, is the latest popular child to reveal a face tattoo - DodoFinance - November 5th, 2020
- Dad ridiculed after getting tattoos of his kids POO on his leg as gobsmacked people joke I thought Id seen - The Sun - November 5th, 2020
- Kajal Aggarwals fan gets her name tattooed on the formers wedding day. See PHOTOS - Times of India - October 31st, 2020
- First day of tier 3 restrictions in Sutton - in pictures - Mansfield and Ashfield Chad - October 31st, 2020
- Tattoo Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images - October 30th, 2020
- Kunal Kemmu's Stylish Tiger Tattoo Took 4 Years to Complete and It Looks Awesome - Report Door - October 30th, 2020
- Larissa Lima has yet another cosmetic procedure, promises pictures after she heals - Monsters and Critics - October 30th, 2020
- Prince Monolulu: The truth behind horse racing's original showman tipster - BBC Sport - October 30th, 2020
- Tattoo artist has nose CUT OFF and horns added to make himself look like Marvel villain Red Skull - The Sun - October 27th, 2020
- Removery Expands To Meet Increasing Tattoo Removal Demand - PRNewswire - October 27th, 2020
- Shaquille O'Neal's Son Shareef Reveals Another Tattoo He Got in Honor of the Late Kobe Bryant - AmoMama - October 27th, 2020
- Chris Evans shares a picture of his pup Dodger resting in the sweetest place - Dog of the Day - October 27th, 2020
- Why Senator Mitch McConnells Hand Appears Discolored, Here Are Some Possibilities - Forbes - October 24th, 2020
- Rashod Bateman: Back with the Gophers, and receptive to change - Minneapolis Star Tribune - October 22nd, 2020
- Actress Lake Bell And Husband Scott Campbell Split After 7 Years Of Marriage - YourTango - October 22nd, 2020
- Vanessa Bryant Shares Pictures of Her New Tattoo Honoring Kobe and Gianna - Fox Sports Radio - October 21st, 2020
- Chef Jennifer Zavala on the Best and Worst Things About South Philly - Philadelphia magazine - October 19th, 2020
- Sanjay Dutt Looks Fit And Fabulous in New Pictures After Assuring Fans That he Would Beat Cancer - India.com - October 17th, 2020
- Sushant Singh Rajputs sister shares rare pictures of their mother, who died when SSR was a teenager.... - Hindustan Times - October 17th, 2020
- Newly Married Niti Taylor Gets Husband Parikshits Name Tattooed on Her Ring Finger, Says Very Long Name - India.com - October 16th, 2020