WASHINGTON Nicholas Ochs, the founder of the Hawaii chapter of the Proud Boys who boasted on social media about storming the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday was arrested and charged by the federal government for taking part in the riot.
Ochs was charged by the U.S. Attorneys Office in Washington, D.C., but was arrested Thursday night at Daniel K. Inouye International Airport in Honolulu.
He is currently being held in the Federal Detention Center, according to the U.S. Attorneys Office.
Ochs initial appearance before a federal judge is scheduled to occur in Hawaii on Monday. Documents filed in the case indicate that the government will not seek to keep Ochs detained.
Nicholas Ochs, right, was endorsed by Trump friend Roger Stone when he ran for office in Hawaii.
Ochs was not shy about his involvement in the violent insurrection that was spurred on by President Donald Trumps false claims and conspiracy theories that the 2020 election he lost to former Vice President Joe Biden was rigged in favor of the Democrat.
On Twitter, Ochs posted a selfie of himself and another man smoking cigarettes in the halls of the Capitol building shortly after the mob overran police and broke through the windows and doors to get inside.
Hello from the Capital lol, he said in the post.
Ochs also spoke to CNN about his involvement in the raid, telling the network that he was there as a professional journalist and that he did not enter any congressional offices or chambers.
We didnt have to break in, I just walked in and filmed, Ochs said. There were thousands of people in there they had no control of the situation. I didnt get stopped or questioned.
The criminal complaint, which was unsealed Friday, charges Ochs with misdemeanor unlawful entry into restricted buildings or grounds.
The FBI used Ochs own photos and words against him when requesting a warrant for his arrest.
An affidavit signed by FBI Special Agent Roger Dean, who investigates violent gang and criminal drug enterprises out of the Washington, D.C. field office, states that he used both Ochs Twitter boasts and his comments to CNN to identify him as a member of the pro-Trump mob that breached Capitol security.
Dean noted that Ochs is a well known member of the Proud Boys, a far-right extremist group thats prone to political violence, and that he even has a tattoo with the name emblazoned on his right forearm.
He also pointed out that Ochs was a candidate for public office in Hawaii. Ochs ran as a Republican for a state House seat representing Waikiki in 2020, and was endorsed by the Hawaii GOP. He lost the election to Democrat Adrian Tam.
It does not surprise me. This is a person who has made offensive remarks about the Jewish community, women, the LGBT community, immigrants, Muslims, you name it, hes made fun of it, Tam told Hawaii News Now.
The Proud Boys have made clear their intentions to oppose the results of the presidential election, Dean said, with some even advocating for violence.
Ochs was among those who sought to subvert the results of the election.
Dean included in his affidavit comments Ochs made on the social media app Parler, which is used by conspiracy theorists and members of the far-right.
On Nov. 16, Ochs reposted a tweet from Trump in which the president declared, I WON THE ELECTION! and then provided his own commentary about how to make those words a reality.
Show this tweet to leftists and say they wont do shit when he just keeps being president, Ochs wrote. Dont say it was stolen or rigged. Just say were doing it and they wont fight back. They are getting scared, and they dont function when theyre scared.
Ochs did not respond to a Civil Beat request for comment. A call made to his cell phone went directly to voicemail.
Ochs will be represented by Honolulu-based defense lawyer Myles Breiner when he appears in court next week for his initial appearance.
Breiner is known to taking on high profile cases.
Among his past clients are retired Honolulu Police Chief Louis Kealoha and his wife, Katherine, a former city prosecutor. The Kealohas were recently sentenced to federal prison for committing a series of crimes related to corruption and abuse of power.
A mob of Trump supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol to protest his loss in the 2020 general election.
Nick Grube/Civil Beat
In an interview Friday with Civil Beat, Breiner described himself as a liberal Democrat who considered what happened Wednesday to be a disgrace. But he also said his client doesnt deserve full blame for what happened.
He said the finger should be pointed directly at Trump and his acolytes who encouraged Ochs and others to lay siege to the Capitol.
The Capitol police, who did not heed warnings about the severity of the threat and in some cases appeared to allow rioters to flow freely into the building, should also shoulder some of the blame, he said.
With all due respect to the government, this is all about face-saving, Breiner said.
Ochs was an easy target for prosecution because hes a well-known member of the Proud Boys as well as a public figure who ran for office, Breiner said.
Ochs was brazen in his decision to post images of himself in the Capitol rotunda on the internet for anyone to see, Breiner said, but he wasnt accused of committing any violent acts.
If anything, Breiner said, his client has been charged with the federal equivalent of trespassing.
He was an easy target, Breiner said. I think the Department of Justice needs to be careful not to make him into a martyr.
Sorry. That's an invalid e-mail.
Thanks! We'll send you a confirmation e-mail shortly.
Read the original here:
- Capitol riot suspect arrested after giant tattoo revealed on video - The Independent - June 9th, 2021
- The Sacred Male Body Modification Practices That Still Exist Today - InsideHook - May 16th, 2021
- `We were never terrorists`: Proud Boys Canada officially dissolved` - WION - May 4th, 2021
- Farmer Boys celebrating 40th anniversary with free burger tattoo - KTNV Las Vegas - April 19th, 2021
- Here are the nine men from Hudson Valley charged with participating in Jan. 6 Capitol riot - Times Herald-Record - April 19th, 2021
- Crowdfunding Hate in the Name of Christ - The Nation - April 4th, 2021
- Guest Opinion | Reflections on the course Women Unknown: Fight for Independence - UI The Daily Iowan - April 4th, 2021
- Part 3: How a Trini played a role in the life of Nipsey Hussle - Loop News Trinidad and Tobago - April 4th, 2021
- We want to keep him alive Family, friends remember San Antonios Tito Bradshaw two years later - San Antonio Express-News - April 4th, 2021
- Quick on the draw: Castagna the chaotic Tiger with a tattoo gun - The Age - April 4th, 2021
- Love Island Australias Phoebe Thompson reveals WAP lip tattoo as she celebrates birthday - The Irish Sun - March 8th, 2021
- Brave, Powerful, Complicated: The Most Formidable Heroines In Film - British Vogue - March 8th, 2021
- Jaden Hill is LSU's ace pitcher who has a bigger calling in life: 'I'm chosen to help people' - The Advocate - February 19th, 2021
- Gangland: a book about meth and the people whose lives it touches - The Spinoff - February 17th, 2021
- SA tattoo artist to the stars on taking his skill abroad - News24 - February 14th, 2021
- Memories of dad help make University of Houston's Justin Gorham a rebounding machine - Houston Chronicle - February 11th, 2021
- Tauranga's strongest head to the Highlands - The Bay's News First - SunLive - February 6th, 2021
- Nick Carter of Backstreet Boys Got His Paris Hilton Tattoo Just 3 Week Before They Broke up - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 30th, 2021
- 2 Green Country Women Share Stories Through Tattoo Ink; Competing In National Contest - News On 6 - January 30th, 2021
- Gangs? Cliques? Subgroups? Call Them What You Will There've Been 18 (Yes, 18) In The LA Sheriff's Department - LAist - January 22nd, 2021
- Trump's useful thugs: how the Republican party offered a home to the Proud Boys - The Guardian - January 22nd, 2021
- Proud Boys among groups being watched as inauguration approaches. Do they have Northeast Ohio ties? - Akron Beacon Journal - January 20th, 2021
- Who are Proud Boys? The Western chauvinist far-right group explained and what Donald Trump has previously said about them - The Scotsman - January 15th, 2021
- Theyve been hidden too long: Report details Los Angeles Sheriffs deputy gangs and violence toward communities of color - East Bay Times - January 15th, 2021
- Swimming With My Shirt Off - The New York Times - January 9th, 2021
- How the Internet Reflected on and Coped With the Capitol Attack - Hyperallergic - January 9th, 2021
- The Weekly-ish Mailbag is mailing it in this week. - Off Tackle Empire - December 31st, 2020
- Four months before her wedding, Mary knew it was over - Sydney Morning Herald - December 19th, 2020
- Family, determination and a dream: The Real Woods story - The Stanford Daily - December 16th, 2020
- Skating solo gives me time to study everyone else on the rink - The Globe and Mail - December 16th, 2020
- LOCAL NEWS BRIEFS: Price is Right Live show rescheduled - Goshen News - December 16th, 2020
- Controversial Mom Made One Of Her Twin Toddlers Get A Tattoo For Very Important Reason - BabyGaga - December 11th, 2020
- Mum of twins tattoos one so she can tell them apart leaving mother-in-law fuming - Daily Star - December 11th, 2020
- Farmingtons mayor of 12 years memorializes his experience in tattoo - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - December 8th, 2020
- Im A Celebrity superfan gets tattoo of Ant and Dec at Gwrych Castle inked onto his thigh - The Sun - December 1st, 2020
- MacAdam: Fascination with Mike Tyson began in Albany - The Daily Gazette - November 27th, 2020
- 'Home town boys' return to Philippi Main Street - The Inter-Mountain - November 20th, 2020
- The Post-Election Proud Boys Meltdown Is Here, and It's Ugly - The Daily Beast - November 12th, 2020
- I just want to be with my friends: how will children cope with being cooped up again in second lockdown? - The Guardian - November 9th, 2020
- 240+ Inspirational & Meaningful One Word Tattoos (2020 ... - November 6th, 2020
- 75+ Best Small Tattoos For Men (2020) - Simple Cool ... - November 6th, 2020
- Tickets for sale in Snohomish County and around the region - The Daily Herald - November 5th, 2020
- Seances, tattoos and the unbreakable bond between Mikaela Mayer and Al Mitchell - ESPN - October 30th, 2020
- Students rediscover their childhood fandoms on TikTok - Daily Northwestern - October 29th, 2020
- Chase Winovich talks playing time, conspiracy theories with Zolak & Bertrand - 98.5 The Sports Hub - October 22nd, 2020
- The Cycle of Punitive Justice Starts in Schools. Eric Butler Is Showing Kids and Teachers How to Break It. - Mother Jones - October 21st, 2020
- The Proud Boys? - SOFREP - October 16th, 2020
- Theatre Alliance to perform outdoor production of Devil Boys from Beyond - Yes! Weekly - October 16th, 2020
- Freshers' Flu - Why My Mum Invented COVID - Cherwell Online - October 10th, 2020
- Who Are the Proud Boys Trump Told To 'Stand Back and Stand By'? - Snopes.com - October 8th, 2020
- Dan Osbornes tattoo shows hes protective of Jacqueline Jossa & the meaning behind Brooklyn Beckhams spoo - The Sun - October 7th, 2020
- When the Proud Boys came to town - The Economist - October 7th, 2020
- The ten essential facts you need to know about BTS's Suga - Film Daily - October 6th, 2020
- 30 Best Neck Tattoos for Boys and Girls - The Best Tattoo ... - September 30th, 2020
- Best 100+ Tattoo Designs For Men and Boys - Youme And Trends - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys, the extremist group Trump named in the debate - Insider - INSIDER - September 30th, 2020
- Fred Perry Will Denounce Proud Boys, But The President Won't - Highsnobiety - September 30th, 2020
- Hooligans With Heart: Phoenix Risings Red Fury fan club reaches out to refugees - Cronkite News - September 30th, 2020
- Whats New on Netflix UK & Top 10s: September 30th, 2020 - What's on Netflix - September 30th, 2020
- From the Fields: Soaking it up now | agrinews-pubs.com - Agri News - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys and why did Trump tell them to stand by? - The Irish Sun - September 30th, 2020
- The Giant Proud Boy Rally That Wasn't - VICE - September 28th, 2020
- Dallas Cowboys news: Defense is looking for improvements - Blogging The Boys - September 26th, 2020
- For Australia's military veterans, tattoos are an important reminder of the things they've seen - The Canberra Times - September 26th, 2020
- What is the alt-right group the Proud Boys? - The Sun - September 21st, 2020
- Police investigating after man tried to grab young boy from street - The Northern Echo - September 18th, 2020
- Cowboys news: Reviewing the rookies after the Cowboys season-opener - Blogging The Boys - September 18th, 2020
- Nas makes his latest claim to the throne with King's Disease - NYSMusic - September 18th, 2020
- The Boys Season 2 Episode 4: 20 Easter Eggs And Things You Might Have Missed - GameSpot - September 15th, 2020
- The Boys Season 2 Episode 4: 20 Things You Might Have Missed - GameSpot - September 11th, 2020
- Remembrance of Things Past: A favorite series features a book with a local tie - theday.com - September 11th, 2020
- RCB spinner Adam Zampa speaks of his love for whisky, need to carry microwave on tours - Times Now - September 8th, 2020
- Youth of color disproportionately represented in the justice system - Prescott eNews - September 7th, 2020
- Two "Boogaloo Boys" Allegedly Tried To Supply Weapons To Hamas And Join As Mercenaries - BuzzFeed News - September 6th, 2020
- Sophie Kasaei shows off full sleeve and chest piece in 'tattoo' snap - Heat - September 3rd, 2020
- Failed by the System - Eugene Weekly - September 3rd, 2020
- 'They're going to have to shoot me': A cop's son meets a tragic fate in Morris Township - Morristown Green - September 3rd, 2020
- Youth of color disproportionately represented in the justice system - Cronkite News - September 3rd, 2020
- 2 Boys Arrested In Suspected Attempted Carjacking, Armed Robbery - Patch.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Ask Billboard: Katy Perry's Career Bests, From 'One of the Boys' to 'Smile,' & Every Hot 100 'Idol' Top 10 - Billboard - August 29th, 2020