This post contains affiliate links. When you buy through these links, Book Riot may earn a commission.
If you love good YA book cover art, then youll want to make sure you dont miss out on seeing them as works in progress. Thanks to the visual power of Instagram, many YA book cover artists and designers have an active presence and showcase not only the covers theyve worked on or are working on, but they share so much more of their awesome, inspiration, and downright badass art.
Find below a wide array of YA book cover artists and designers. Ive included both the creators of the art and those who help design the covers. Many work across age categories, but Ive noted below the names of each artist or designer some of their most well-known YA book cover work.
Book Deals Newsletter
Sign up for our Book Deals newsletter and get up to 80% off books you actually want to read.
Thank you for signing up! Keep an eye on your inbox.
If youre looking to drool over incredible art and design, then look no further!
It should be noted that YA book cover artists and designers are wonderfully diverse. In an industry that is far too white, its refreshing to see so many people of color both in the U.S. and outside the U.S. Likewise, a number of the covers these designers and artists have worked on are #OwnVoicesin other words, a Puerto Rican illustrator whose work is front and center of a story by a Puerto Rican author about a Puerto Rican main character. More of this, please! Its not only important but its beautiful and opens up a whole world of potential for creative folks (and folks who just like great design and art!).
Alcainos work has been featured on The Iron Raven by Julia Kagawa, When Dreams Descend by Janella Angeles, and more.
Samyas work is the face off C.M. McGuires Ironspark and Brown Girl Ghosted by Minti Das.
Youve seen Bakers covers before, because they pop. Some of her recent works include Every Body Looking by Candice Iloh, Furia by Yamile Saied Mndez, and Shirley Chisholm is a Verb by Veronica Chambers.
Andrew Eliopuloss The Fascinators was designed by Brickley.
Not all illustrators or designers work on the lettering for a book covers title, tag line, or by line. Sometimes a specialist in hand lettering hops in, and thats what Bringle does. This designer and illustrator for Target has lettered the covers of the 20th anniversary edition of The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot and the RWBY Rooster Teeth YA novels by EC Myers and Violet Tobacco.
Bushs design work includes Perfect on Paper by Sophie Gonzales, How I Resist by Maureen Johnson, and so many others.
Theres zero question if you love YA that youve seen Cabals work, which includes the covers of Running by Natalia Sylvester, Felix Ever After by Kacen Callender, and A Song Below Water by Bethany C. Marrow.
Jason is the creator behind Want and Ruse by Cindy Pon.
Curtiss work has been seen on the three-book series beginning with Furyborn by Claire LeGrand, The Initial Insult by Mindy McGinnis, and The Kingdom of Back by Marie Lu.
If you love Elizabeth Acevedos books, then you know the work of this artist who created With The Fire On High and the UK cover of Clap When You Land.
Peep the art director of Dresner on books like City of Spells by Alexandra Christo and The Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas.
The Cost of Knowing by Brittney Morris, The Infinity Courts by Akemi Dawn Bowman, and Legendborn by Tracy Deonn are among some of Eckess design projects.
Mollys lettering is featured on the cover of Nobody Knows But You by Anica Mrose Rissi and was part of the team behind Lyla Lees Ill Be The One.
Fitzsimmons has worked on so many standout YA book covers, including Write Yourself a Lantern by Elizabeth Acevedo and Infinity Son by Adam Silvera.
Youre going to recognize Gabberts Little White Lies by Jennifer Lynn Barnes and The Walls Around Us by Nova Ren Suma, but did you know shes a tattoo artist too? Her Instagram feed is a dream.
You know those really awesome paper cut designs that are on the front of covers like Frankly In Love by David Yoon? Gildersleeve is the genius behind em.
Gonzalez is the talent behind designing such awesome YA book covers as I Wanna Be Where You Are by Kristina Forest, All Boys Arent Blue by George Johnson, and Its Kind of a Cheesy Love Story by Lauren Morrill.
Goodloes work can be peeped on Now That Ive Found You by Kristina Forest, Faith: Taking Flight by Julie Murphy, and If We Were Us by K.L. Walther.
Grlic shares the spotlight with James Iacobelli, wherein the share their individual works, as well as their joint creations, so youre getting two designers in once place. Grlics work includes Carry On by Rainbow Rowell, The Mall by Megan McCafferty, and Foul Is Fair by Hannah Capin.
Hards YA book covers will be coming fresh in 2021, so keep an eye out for Better Together by Christine Riccio and Slingshot by Mercedes Helnwein. Its quite refreshing to see maximalism again!
Daria drew the covers for books like Lobizona by Romina Garber and the sequel Cazadora.
Among Hunters incredible design work are books like The Story of Owen by E.K. Johnston, Fat Chance, Charlie Vega by Crystal Maldonado, and See No Color by Shannon Gibney.
Peep Laus design work on Dont Read The Comments by Eric Smith, Smash It by Francina Simone, and more.
Hot British Boyfriend, anyone? Lis not only beginning to dip into the world of YA book covers, but shes created so many incredible fan covers on her Instagram.
Earlier in the post, I alluded to a Puerto Rican illustrator doing a cover for an #OwnVoices Puerto Rican YA book. That would be Lugo, who did the cover for Fat Chance, Charlie Vega.
Black Girl Unlimited by Echo Brown and Home Is Not a Country by Safia Elhillo are among some of the covers with Lys work behind them.
Casey is a book lover through and through, and some of her designs include A Good Girls Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson, the We Need Diverse Books anthology A Universe of Wishes, and so many more.
Talk about versatile design direction! Nickollss work includes Spells Trouble by P.C. and Kristin Cast, the illustrative work for The Box in the Woods by Maureen Johnson, and Reverie by Ryan La Sala.
Check out Northrups lettering for Six Crimson Cranes by Elizabeth Lim and the illustration for Ghost Wood Song, among others.
Swoon over the design and illustration by Pascuzzo on The Burning by Laura Bates, It Came From The Sky by Chelsea Sedota, and more.
You saw the designer behind A Universe of WishesCasey Mosesnow see the illustrator behind it with Katt Phatt. Phatts letter work, which youll see step-by-step, is phenomenal.
Though Remenar hasnt done a whole lot of YA book covers yet, with work like Vicious Spirits like Kat Cho to showcase, chances are there will be many more Remenar covers to come.
From spooky to romantic, Resnicks design sensibilities are outstanding. Titles include Cool for the Summer by Dahlia Adler, The Project by Courtney Summers, and The Gilded Wolves by Roshani Chokshi.
For fans of Brandy Colberts stunning covers like The Revolution of Birdie Randolph and Stamped by Jason Reynolds and Ibram X. Kendi, you have Robinson to thank.
The incredible illustrated covers of The Voting Booth by Brandy Colbert and The Opposite of Always by Justin A. Reynolds are the work of Singleton.
Stemple-Lobells name is stamped on some iconic YA book covers for her design work, including Punching The Air by Ibi Zoboi and Yusef Salaam and Pride by Ibi Zoboi. If youre a fan of killed cover designs, youre in for a treat!
Some of Strains works include Havenfall by Sara Holland and No True Believers by Rabiah York Lumbard.
Swaabs work showcases a wide range of talent from war-angled YA books like the forthcoming Enduring Freedom by Jawad Arash and Trent Reedy to disaster books like Aftershocks by Marisa Reichardt to a Groundhog Dayinspired YA titled Time Travel for Love and Profit by Sarah Lariviere.
Among the beloved and easy-recognizable work of Tierney are The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert, the paperback edition of The Summer I Turned Pretty series by Jenny Han, and more.
Wilsons power is in her faces, which you cant deny when you even glimpse Legendborn by Tracy Deonn.
Worrell and Yoo, who is below, have collaborated as a design-illustrator team on a number of outstanding YA titles including The Good Luck Girls and Sisters of Reckoning, both by Charlotte Nicole Davis. Worrells other design credits include Every Reason We Shouldnt by Sara Fujimura and Victories Greater Than Death by Charlie Jane Anders.
Yoos bright and dreamy style is the cover art for The Good Luck Girls, as well as Parachutes by Kelly Yang and more.
If this whets your appetite to dive even deeper in book cover art and design, youll want to explore why so many YA book covers look the way they do right now, as well as these Instagram accounts which celebrate book cover design. Youll also want to then follow some bookish art departments, too!
See more here:
- Ruby Rose on gender, bullying and breaking free: I had a problem with authority - The Guardian - April 4th, 2021
- Traditional Croatian Tattoos: Meet the tattoo artist keeping tradition alive - Croatia Week - March 8th, 2021
- David and Victoria Beckham Have a Matching Hebrew Tattoo Here's What It Means - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 8th, 2021
- Exotic Body Works celebrates 25th anniversary - Hammonton Gazette - February 14th, 2021
- Gigi Hadid and Zayn Malik now have matching tattoos in honour of their daughter Emirates Woman - Emirates Woman - February 11th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Irish Sun - February 11th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Sun - February 10th, 2021
- 10 Celebs Who Have Finger Tattoos | TheThings - TheThings - February 7th, 2021
- Kamala Harris' Stepdaughter Ella Emhoff Is Making Waves Get To Know The Rising Model In 5 Snaps - OK! - February 4th, 2021
- Problems with girls and the Troubles with men - The Irish Times - February 4th, 2021
- New Movies to Watch This Week: Supernova, The Little Things, Palmer - Variety - February 2nd, 2021
- Cops investigated kidnappings, extortions, teen runaways across California. Victims all ended up at same motel, forced into sex trafficking, feds say... - January 27th, 2021
- 'Miss Scarlet and the Duke' Recap: Episode 2 - WTTW News - January 25th, 2021
- The tattoo on her arm said it all: Grace Orzechowski was a fighter - Concord Monitor - January 20th, 2021
- Modern, Edgy And Bold: Different Bob Cuts For Girls To Try - Femina - January 15th, 2021
- What's New on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Disney+, and More in January 2021 - TV Guide - January 15th, 2021
- KVD Vegan Beauty Announces Launch of Limited-Edition Tattoo Liner with Global Organization, Girl Up - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2021
- Sonakshi Sinha Paints The Town Yellow in an Embroidered Cape Set from the Shelves of Arpita Mehta Worth Rs 39 - India.com - January 12th, 2021
- Musician tattoo stories | Wild and funny tattoos - Alternative Press - January 12th, 2021
- FIRST LOOK: Meet the contestants for new reality dating show The Cabins - FM104 - January 5th, 2021
- The Cabins cast: Meet all the contestants in the winter Love Island dating show - The Sun - January 5th, 2021
- What's New on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Disney+, and More in January 2021 - TV Guide - January 3rd, 2021
- Gothika Ending, Explained | Why Did Miranda See the Boy's Ghost? - The Cinemaholic - December 31st, 2020
- Tour Tales | Crowned YB shares untold stories of shooting Dave East around the world - REVOLT TV - December 31st, 2020
- An Interview with Gareth Johnson MP by Neve Wilson, Dartford Grammar School for Girls - This is Local London - December 31st, 2020
- Everything coming to and leaving Netflix in January 2021 - Fox News - December 28th, 2020
- Well At Least Some Positives for Women in 2020 - The Citizen - December 27th, 2020
- Jollof Couscous & Leather Jackets: Inside The Mind Of Enny - British Vogue - December 25th, 2020
- This is Justin Vernon from Bon Ivers favourite song of all time - Far Out Magazine - December 25th, 2020
- Family beg dad who disappeared after saying he was 'going away' to call this Christmas - Liverpool Echo - December 25th, 2020
- Shows like Black Widows that you may like; from Django Unchained to Gone Girl & more - Republic World - December 25th, 2020
- Michaela Garechts mother reacts to arrest of suspect in 1988 Hayward kidnapping of 9-year-old daughter - San Francisco Chronicle - December 25th, 2020
- The Interview Gift Guide That Gives Back - Interview - December 23rd, 2020
- 25 Feather Tattoos for Girls in 2020 NewShables - December 21st, 2020
- How sexy these tattoos on intimate body parts of women ... - December 21st, 2020
- How I Met Your Mother: 10 Worst First Dates The Characters Had - Screen Rant - December 21st, 2020
- Sabrina Carpenter's Got Her Very First Tattoo, and It's a Reference to Her "Lucky" Life - POPSUGAR Beauty Austrailia - December 18th, 2020
- Whats New On Netflix In January: Night Stalker, History of Swear Words, Cobra Kai And More - BroBible - December 18th, 2020
- Roxanne First Shares Her Inspirations - Vanity Fair - December 16th, 2020
- So, What the Hell Folk Tales Is Taylor Swift Telling Now on evermore? - Vulture - December 12th, 2020
- The Work Diary of Mira Mariah, Tattoo and Girl Culture Expert - The New York Times - December 11th, 2020
- Strongest girl in the world: Meet the 7-year-old who can lift 80 kg - The Indian Express - December 11th, 2020
- Mum of twins divides opinion after tattooing one baby to help tell them apart - Heart - December 11th, 2020
- Three Oaks wants INKED to raise awareness - Toronto Star - December 11th, 2020
- [150+] Beautiful Wrist Tattoo Ideas ... - Tattoos for Girls - December 6th, 2020
- The girl with her own tattoos: the joy of homemade ink - The Guardian - December 6th, 2020
- 35 Hand Tattoos for Women | Cute Tattoos For Girls On Hand - December 6th, 2020
- Emily Viti's son has MPS and the Framingham High volleyball coach is fighting to find a cure for the terminal disease - Milford Daily News - December 6th, 2020
- Mara and Dona: Argentine twins a living tribute to soccer great - Reuters - November 28th, 2020
- Born into occupation, young Afghans fear the Taliban will crush their freedoms when US troops exit - Anchorage Daily News - November 23rd, 2020
- Environmental contest's winning displays and essays are on exhibit at Jeff Library - NOLA.com - November 18th, 2020
- Tiffany Calver: Living the dream | DJMag.com - DJ Mag - November 18th, 2020
- Blind date: 'We realised we have matching tattoos' - The Guardian - November 16th, 2020
- Tattooed twins from Germany (PHOTOS) - The Saxon - November 12th, 2020
- A Clover in weeds, loss, homelessness, beatings and love - Tucson Weekly - November 5th, 2020
- The Real Housewives of New York City's First-Ever Black Housewife Isn't Holding Back - The Daily Beast - November 3rd, 2020
- Every time Bollywood actresses proved that they are protective mothers - Times Now - November 3rd, 2020
- Broadley, BF girls three-peat on Thetford trail - Brattleboro Reformer - November 1st, 2020
- Jack Nowell: Would I get a tattoo of Eddie Jones? Only if he promises to pick me for every England game - iNews - October 31st, 2020
- Ronald Hall, Worcester man accused of human trafficking, kept women addicted to drugs and had his nickname ta - MassLive.com - October 30th, 2020
- Learner Dad: 'I need to get the kids to write an early Santa letter so they cant change their minds' - Irish Examiner - October 27th, 2020
- 133 Inspiring Cute and Small Tattoos Ideas for Girls - October 22nd, 2020
- 30 Beautiful Tattoos for Girls 2020 - Meaningful Tattoo ... - October 22nd, 2020
- Jill Duggar's Tattoo Opinions Have Changed, but Does She Have One? - Distractify - October 22nd, 2020
- Sophie Turner wears vote hoodie on stroll with Joe Jonas and baby girl - Metro.co.uk - October 22nd, 2020
- Jacqueline Jossa reveals her incredible singing voice in the car after admitting she wants to sing on stage - The Irish Sun - October 22nd, 2020
- Jacqueline Jossa reveals her incredible singing voice in the car after admitting she wants to sing on stage - The Sun - October 21st, 2020
- Vanessa Bryant reveals new tattoo dedicated to Kobe and their 4 girls (photo) - Rolling Out - October 16th, 2020
- Pomp it Up: On the wild side with Motley Crue - Pueblo Chieftain - October 16th, 2020
- Coronavirus is killing haunted houses, but we still have real horror stories to scare you - Detroit Free Press - October 16th, 2020
- Glimpse inside Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's Tattoos and the True Meaning behind Them - AmoMama - October 14th, 2020
- Mike Tyson Almost Got an Even Crazier Tattoo on His Face Thankfully He Didn't - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 14th, 2020
- Mike Tyson's Tribal Face Tattoo Got a Wild Reaction From a Woman in the Tribe - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 14th, 2020
- 10 Gilmore Girl Tattoo Ideas That Would Earn Lorelai and Rory's Stamp of Approval - POPSUGAR - October 10th, 2020
- 10 Gilmore Girl Tattoo Ideas That Would Earn Lorelai and Rory's Stamp of Approval - POPSUGAR Beauty Austrailia - October 9th, 2020
- Cancer survivor views tattoos as another recovery technique - Leader Publications - October 7th, 2020
- Revisiting Hellboy, the mixtape that captured Lil Peep's breakout energy - Dazed - October 7th, 2020
- 'Mr Snake': Meet the teacher who is France's most tattooed man - The Phnom Penh Post - October 6th, 2020
- Healing wheels: 63-year-old skates her way to cancer recovery - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - October 6th, 2020
- Benjamin Keough laid to rest next to his grandfather Elvis at Graceland - The Irish Sun - October 2nd, 2020