Professional tattoo artists may ink thousands of designs over the course of their careers, so it's no surprise they develop their own preferences and opinions on body art.
Here are some of tattoo artists' favorite things to ink and a few designs that they wish clients would stop requesting:
Stephan Hipwell, tattoo artist at and owner of Goodbye Horses studio in Norwich, England, told Insider that he adores giving customers bright, bold statement tattoos.
"One of my favorite things to ink are big pieces that are really vibrant and have an impactful design," Hipwell said. "I find statement pieces that cover large areas of the body really pleasing."
Clients should also keep in mind that large statement tattoos often require multiple sessions and can cost much more than smaller designs.
Blackwork tattoos make use of negative space. UfaBizPhoto/Shuttershock
Josh Hall, tattooer and owner of Lamar Street Tattoo Club in Dallas, Texas, told Insider that he loves inking designs with strong, black lines.
"I love doing tattoos with bold, strong, clean lines," Hall said. "Currently, I'm really enjoying doing traditional blackwork designs."
Although it lacks vibrant color, blackwork body art uses dark ink and negative space to create elaborate patterns and images on the skin.
Minimalist tattoos are trendy. Shuttershock
Alicia Hough, former tattoo artist and wellness expert with The Product Analyst, told Insider that she loves inking minimalist designs.
"Minimalist tattoos look clean and cool on the skin, and for me, they're more satisfying than doing huge ones," Hough said.
Hough added that she enjoys inking paper planes, daisies, and celestial bodies, among other art of this variety.
Ashkon, an artist for Club Tattoo at Miracle Miles Shops in Las Vegas, Nevada, told Insider that he thinks ink designs that use mandala patterns are fun to give and look great.
"I really enjoy giving clients tattoos that incorporate mandalas or other geometric types of designs," Ashkon said.
Mandalas are geometric patterns tied to Hindu, Buddhist, Jainist, and Shinto traditions and used for varying spiritual purposes, like guiding meditation or representing deities.
Medical-tattoo practitioner Hannah Maruyama of Yama Studios in Hawaii told Insider that it makes her happy to give scalp tattoos to clients with thinning hair.
"Creating a new hairline gives someone such a new lease on life," Maruyama said. "It's hours of work, but seeing them laugh in disbelief when they see their reflection is awesome."
Medical tattooers specialize in designs that disguise clinical procedures and recreate or enhance features like hair, areolae, fingernails, lip color, and belly buttons.
Other colorful bird tattoos can be just as eye-catching. Nicole Weiss/Shuttershock
A phoenix is a mythological bird derived from ancient folklore that periodically bursts into flames and is reborn from its own ashes.
"Phoenix tattoos are a big hit with our clients because the design beautifully fits everyone," Hough said. "Tattoos with gradient hues are eye-catching and feel alive."
Parrots and peacocks are also popular avian choices for clients who love the idea of a colorful bird tattoo
Tattoos with thin, wispy text may look good at first, but Hall told Insider that he tries to dissuade clients from getting body art that includes small words.
"Tiny fonts in small spaces often won't look remotely the same after a few years," Hall said. "The delicate text can end up as a blurry blob."
If you want to incorporate words into your tattoo design, opting for larger lettering can help reduce the chances of blurring.
You should also consult with a professional to figure out the best place to get inked, as some parts of the body may show tattoo aging faster than others.
It's common for people looking for a new tattoo to research options and images online, but Hipwell said it makes tattoo artists groan when a client asks for an overly trendy design.
"I wish clients would stop asking for 'in' tattoos," Hipwell said. "It's annoying when people just want fashionable designs rather than expressing themselves."
Although it's definitely helpful to bring in pictures for reference, consider how you want the tattoo to be personalized to you.
Heart and skulls tattoos can be a bit overdone. Shutterstock
Hearts and skulls are popular tattoo motifs, but Hough said she thinks they're overdone and not a good fit for everyone.
"I really don't like giving clients heart and skull tattoos," Hough said. "They tend to look very generic and mainstream."
Hough recommended choosing a design that is suited to the area of the body you're looking to tattoo and is unique to you.
Tattooed makeup, also known as permanent makeup, is often requested by people looking to spend less time on their beauty routine or wanting to enhance certain facial features.
But Maruyama said that some kinds of permanent makeup can be a bad idea.
"I hate tattooing heavy winged eyeliner," Maruyama said. "It doesn't age very well, and I don't like putting tattoos on people that won't age well."
It may be worth investing in other cosmetic options, like eyebrow microblading or a lip blush, that are less drastic but will still save you time in the morning.
Tribal tattoos are still used in several cultural customs today. Shuttershock
Tribal-style tattoos experienced a surge in popularity during the late 1990s and early 2000s. But Ashkon told Insider that inking this type of design isn't always fun for tattoo artists.
"I don't like giving tribal tattoos," Ashkon said. "They look dated and they're actually boring to do."
If you are considering getting inked in this style, which dates back thousands of years, be sure to do your research as the meanings and significance can vary from culture to culture.
- Share your pictures and stories of pet tattoos - The Guardian - May 28th, 2021
- "Overacting Ki Dukaan": Actress Arti Singh Trolled For Her Vaccination Pics - NDTV - May 16th, 2021
- Dr Gregor Smith: Tattooed chief medical officer surprises Scots with stunning body art as he receives coronavirus vaccine jag - The Scotsman - May 4th, 2021
- Billie Eilish Tattoos: Guide to Ink Designs and Their Meanings - J-14 - May 4th, 2021
- Here are the nine men from Hudson Valley charged with participating in Jan. 6 Capitol riot - The Journal News / Lohud.com - April 19th, 2021
- Jennifer Aniston Shares Meaning of '11 11' Tattoo: Pics - Us Weekly - March 8th, 2021
- PICTURES: Care home residents at Innis Mhor in Tain make an impression with special tattoos - Northern Times - March 8th, 2021
- Father-Son Duo Facing Charges of Armed Pot Robbery - The Peoples Vanguard of Davis - March 8th, 2021
- Rohanpreet Singh gets a tattoo of wife Neha Kakkars name! - The Tribune India - February 19th, 2021
- Valentines Day 2021: Neha Kakkars Husband Rohanpreet Singh Gets Nehus Man Tattooed On His Arm; Lady Gushes Over Him And Calls It The Best Gift Ever-... - February 17th, 2021
- Rohanpreet Singh gets a tattoo for Neha Kakkar on Valentines Day; 'Nehu's man', it reads; check it out - The Tribune India - February 14th, 2021
- Norfolk tattooist turns to art in lockdown - Eastern Daily Press - February 14th, 2021
- CrimeStoppers says face masks are making it harder to identify wanted criminals - KHON2 - February 11th, 2021
- Sapna Choudhary gets husband Veer Sahu's name tattooed on her arm | Latest photos - India TV News - February 6th, 2021
- Khushi Kapoor is OBSESSED with tattoos; Take a look at these PHOTOS which prove the same - PINKVILLA - February 4th, 2021
- Best of Jackson 2021: Community and Culture - Jackson Free Press - February 4th, 2021
- All About Alev Aydin, Halsey's Boyfriend and Father of Her Child - ELLE.com - February 2nd, 2021
- Who is Leni Klum? 5 fascinating facts about Heidi Klum's 16-year-old daughter who walked her first runway - MEAWW - January 27th, 2021
- BTS Jungkooks tattoo to Jennies 25th birthday; Heres a weekly round-up of K-pops - Republic World - January 24th, 2021
- UK lotto winner shares photo of her bizarre bum tattoos on Instagram - NEWS.com.au - January 22nd, 2021
- 90 Day Fiance: Everything To Know About Yolanda's Ex Josh Seiter - Screen Rant - January 15th, 2021
- Chicago Activist Outs Local Insurgents Who Traveled To Capitol - WBEZ - January 12th, 2021
- POLICE LOOKING FOR SUSPECT IN TOOL THEFT FROM LOWE'S IN DECEMBER - wccsradio.com - January 9th, 2021
- Brad Pitt Shows Off His 7 Back Tattoos As He Goes Snorkeling In Turks And Caicos - SpotboyE - January 5th, 2021
- Raheem Sterling's tattoos explained: What do they mean and where are they on his body? - Goal (English) - January 5th, 2021
- Inspired by the sun's nourishment - Otago Daily Times - January 5th, 2021
- Raheem Sterling's tattoos explained: What do they mean and where are they on his body? - Goal.com - January 3rd, 2021
- David Fincher, the Unhappiest Auteur - The New York Times - January 3rd, 2021
- The Nashville explosion slammed these small businesses. They'll need help digging out - WLS - December 28th, 2020
- Ink Master Season 1: Where Are They Now? Ink Master Season 1 Winners Today - The Cinemaholic - December 25th, 2020
- Police trying to ID woman hit by van - Times-Mail - December 23rd, 2020
- Chhavi Mittal Flaunting Her Stomach Tattoo Dedicated To Hubby, Mohit Hussein Screams Of Eternal Love - BollywoodShaadis.com - December 21st, 2020
- Mom-To-Be Kareena Kapoor Khan Turns Author, Shares How The Subject Of Her Book Is Close To Her Heart - BollywoodShaadis.com - December 21st, 2020
- Fantasy Island reboot on the cards - The New Indian Express - December 18th, 2020
- She was in Iraq when her son was killed. Four years later, the police have no leads. - Houston Chronicle - December 17th, 2020
- Sushmita Sen And Rohman Shawl Vacay In Dubai, Her Brother, Rajeev And Wife, Charu To Join Them Soon - BollywoodShaadis.com - December 16th, 2020
- Nipsey Hussle, The LAPD And The Inescapable Trap Of Gang Affiliation - NPR - December 14th, 2020
- This Alberta dad sat through 30 hours of tattoo pain so his son would feel better about birthmark - CBC.ca - December 11th, 2020
- Mom-to-be Kareena Kapoor Khan snapped with hubby Saif Ali Khan; latter's new tattoo grabs everyone's atte - Times of India - December 11th, 2020
- Gwen Stefani reveals why shes delayed Blake Shelton wedding - Metro.co.uk - December 9th, 2020
- Madonna, 62, Gets Her Very 1st Tattoo and the Beautiful Design Is Touchingly Beautiful - Us Weekly - December 8th, 2020
- At the age of 68, Purnimas mother with a tattoo on her arm! - Primetime - December 8th, 2020
- Lost Gypsy Tattoo holds giveaway to encourage holiday sponsorship of veterans, children in need - Hazard Herald - December 5th, 2020
- Chris Evans and His Dog, Dodger, Have the Purest Bond See Their Cutest Photos - POPSUGAR - December 5th, 2020
- Press photographer's new collections of snapshots bring Swindon's history to life - Swindon Advertiser - December 2nd, 2020
- Justin Bieber wants 'a little tribe' of kids with wife Hailey Baldwin - Metro.co.uk - December 1st, 2020
- Merrill man charged with making child pornography after investigators say they identified him by his tattoo - Wausau Daily Herald - November 25th, 2020
- Kunal Kemmu's tattoo will leave you impressed - Times of India - November 25th, 2020
- Karan Mehra And Nisha Rawal Celebrate 8th Wedding Anniversary, Share Photoshoot Pictures With Kavish - BollywoodShaadis.com - November 25th, 2020
- Dipika Kakkar Flaunts 'Shoaika' Tattoo, Calls it Her Reason for Happiness - News18 - November 25th, 2020
- When Tracey was Traci: Emin's unseen early paintings published for the first time - The Guardian - November 23rd, 2020
- Dipika Kakar gets a tattoo of 'Shoaika' on her hand dedicated to her and Shoaib's love - News Track English - November 21st, 2020
- 2021 Oscar Predictions: Best Picture [Updated November 19] - Gold Derby - November 20th, 2020
- I'm A Celebrity: Jordan gets a helping hand from Gavin and Stacey - Metro.co.uk - November 20th, 2020
- Lisa Congdon On Creativity, Activism, and Finding Your Flow - Brit + Co - November 20th, 2020
- Is it the last of the Camden Lock mohicans? - Camden New Journal newspapers website - November 18th, 2020
- Is Angelina Pivarnick already headed for divorce? Heres why Jersey Shore fans think she and Chris L ... - Monsters and Critics - November 18th, 2020
- Unseen Pictures Of Arpita Khan Sharma And Aayush Sharma From 'Grih Pravesh' Ceremony Post-Wedding - BollywoodShaadis.com - November 18th, 2020
- Police release pictures of three men wanted for knife and bat attack on woman in Lancaster - Lancashire Post - November 16th, 2020
- Tattoo Inks Market Expected To Witness A Sustainable Growth Over 2026 - PRnews Leader - November 6th, 2020
- Brooklyn, son of David Beckham, is the latest popular child to reveal a face tattoo - DodoFinance - November 5th, 2020
- Dad ridiculed after getting tattoos of his kids POO on his leg as gobsmacked people joke I thought Id seen - The Sun - November 5th, 2020
- Kajal Aggarwals fan gets her name tattooed on the formers wedding day. See PHOTOS - Times of India - October 31st, 2020
- First day of tier 3 restrictions in Sutton - in pictures - Mansfield and Ashfield Chad - October 31st, 2020
- Tattoo Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images - October 30th, 2020
- Kunal Kemmu's Stylish Tiger Tattoo Took 4 Years to Complete and It Looks Awesome - Report Door - October 30th, 2020
- Larissa Lima has yet another cosmetic procedure, promises pictures after she heals - Monsters and Critics - October 30th, 2020
- Prince Monolulu: The truth behind horse racing's original showman tipster - BBC Sport - October 30th, 2020
- Tattoo artist has nose CUT OFF and horns added to make himself look like Marvel villain Red Skull - The Sun - October 27th, 2020
- Removery Expands To Meet Increasing Tattoo Removal Demand - PRNewswire - October 27th, 2020
- Shaquille O'Neal's Son Shareef Reveals Another Tattoo He Got in Honor of the Late Kobe Bryant - AmoMama - October 27th, 2020
- Chris Evans shares a picture of his pup Dodger resting in the sweetest place - Dog of the Day - October 27th, 2020
- Why Senator Mitch McConnells Hand Appears Discolored, Here Are Some Possibilities - Forbes - October 24th, 2020
- Rashod Bateman: Back with the Gophers, and receptive to change - Minneapolis Star Tribune - October 22nd, 2020
- Actress Lake Bell And Husband Scott Campbell Split After 7 Years Of Marriage - YourTango - October 22nd, 2020
- Vanessa Bryant Shares Pictures of Her New Tattoo Honoring Kobe and Gianna - Fox Sports Radio - October 21st, 2020
- Chef Jennifer Zavala on the Best and Worst Things About South Philly - Philadelphia magazine - October 19th, 2020
- Sanjay Dutt Looks Fit And Fabulous in New Pictures After Assuring Fans That he Would Beat Cancer - India.com - October 17th, 2020
- Sushant Singh Rajputs sister shares rare pictures of their mother, who died when SSR was a teenager.... - Hindustan Times - October 17th, 2020
- Newly Married Niti Taylor Gets Husband Parikshits Name Tattooed on Her Ring Finger, Says Very Long Name - India.com - October 16th, 2020