The defining image of the storming of the US Capitol on January 6 was undoubtedly that of a bare-chested man posing resplendent in a horned fur hat and face paint. Images of him in his weird costume have been shared across the globe he seems to perfectly encapsulate the absurdity of the mob takeover of Americas sacred seat of power.
The individual in question has since been identified in the media as a far-right activist from Arizona by the name of Jacob Chansley (also known as Jake Angeli). He was quickly alleged to be an adherent of the QAnon conspiracy theory though not before fake rumours spread that he was actually an antifa plant.
One thing that should make it very clear where Angelis politics lie are his tattoos. On his torso he has a large Thors hammer, known as Mjlnir, and what appears to be an image of the Norse world tree, Yggdrasill.
Mjlnir is one symbol we can be pretty sure was used by the original adherents of the Norse belief system, perhaps to summon the protection of the god Thor. Yggdrasill is the giant ash tree that supports the Norse cosmos, its branches reaching into sky realms inaccessible to humans, and its roots to the subterranean realm of the dead. Unlike Thors hammer, it was only rarely depicted by the Vikings, and representations such as the one below are modern interpretations.
Above these tattoos with a central place in Norse mythology is one that is more contentious. It depicts a valknut an image that appears on two Viking-Age stones from Sweden carved with scenes from Norse mythology, including the Stora Hammars I stone on the island of Gotland.
The symbols original meaning is unclear, but it appears in close proximity to the father of the gods, Odin, on the stones. As Odin is closely connected with the gathering of fallen warriors to Valhalla, the valknut may be a symbol of death in battle.
Snorri Sturluson, a medieval Icelandic collector of myths, tells us in his Language of Poetry that a famous giant called Hrungnir had a stone heart pointed with three corners, and so the valknut is sometimes also called Hrungnirs Heart. Whatever its original meaning, it has been used in more recent times by various neo-pagan groups and increasingly by some white supremacists as a coded message of their belief in violent struggle.
Angeli claims that he wears his bizarre costume to draw attention to himself but theres surely another reason for the bare chest and precariously low-slung pants. He is displaying these tattoos to full effect, and wants them to be seen.
Many people have similar tattoos which express their neo-pagan belief, Scandinavian heritage, or interest in the myths. But there is no doubt that these symbols have also been co-opted by a growing far-right movement. A hint at where Angeli lies on this continuum is in a tattoo that is less visible on his left shoulder, but which several academics including archaeologist Kevin Philbrook Smith have pointed out seems to be a version of the Sonnenrad, or sun-wheel.
This is a symbol listed by the Anti-Defamation League as one of a number of ancient European symbols appropriated by the Nazis in their attempt to invent an idealised Aryan or Norse heritage. Often it contains a swastika or other hate symbol but worn with nothing inside, it is very easy for other white supremacists to fill in the blank.
There is, of course, a long history of the co-opting of Norse imagery by the far right. Beloved of Himmler, the runic script inspired the insignia of the SS, while the swastika is another of those ancient European symbols that features in various forms on picture stones and runic inscriptions.
This misappropriation continued after the fall of the Third Reich, though in a more muted form. Neo-Nazis at least those not brazen enough to wear a swastika tend to opt for less recognisable symbols. These include numbers representing Heil Hitler (88 H is the eighth letter of the alphabet) or Aryan Brotherhood (12 letters one and two). Far-right adherents also favour other characters from the Germanic runic writing system which communicate similar messages.
One of these is the Othala runic letter its name means inherited land, and so it frequently appears in the emblems of white nationalist groups from Ukraine to the US.
These coded symbols, and others newly borrowed from Norse myth, are even harder to spot and condemn. Sky recently cancelled a reality TV show after viewers complained one contestant was covered in tattoos including on his face that could be seen as having far-right connotations. But if certain symbols are hard for the general public to spot, they are certainly dog whistles to members of an increasingly global white supremacist movement who know exactly what they mean.
Many scholars argue that the best way to counter far-right misuse is to drown it out with positive and accurate representations of Norse myth the position I took in my recent retelling. But in the wake of the mass shooting in Norway in 2011 by Anders Breivik, who named his guns after weapons of the Norse gods, as well as the 2019 Christchurch mass shooter Brenton Tarrant, with his allusions to Valhalla, and of this latest poster-boy of far-right insurrection, we have to think very hard about whether this is the right approach to counter a truly global extremist movement. At the very least, academics and anyone else with a genuine interest in Norse mythology need to be far more involved in countering these abuses of our subject on the ground.
Otherwise, we run the risk of ceding the field to those who see the vague concept of Norse heritage as a way to further unite an international fraternity of violent white supremacists.
See original here:
- 14 of most beautiful castles to visit in Scotland - as seen in Outlander, Game of Thrones and James Bond - The Scotsman - November 23rd, 2021
- Grinning Prince Andrew picture kept as trophy by Jeffrey Epstein in paedo lair where he molested und... - The Sun - November 23rd, 2021
- Tattoo PNG Images | Tattoo Transparent PNG - Vippng - November 9th, 2021
- Hes Growing Up Sooo Fast: Tia Mowrys Then-and-Now Photos of Son Cree Have Fans Stunned By How Much Hes Grown - Yahoo News - November 9th, 2021
- The 175 Best Butterfly Tattoo Ideas (2020) | Tattoo Gorilla - November 9th, 2021
- Martin Margielas art rebirth: obsession, enigma and revelation - Wallpaper* - October 29th, 2021
- South Korea's tattoo taboo is being challenged by young people, a controversial politician and boy band BTS - ABC News - October 29th, 2021
- Travis Barker's Ex Responds After He Covered Her Name With Kourtney Kardashian Lips Tattoo - Newsweek - October 29th, 2021
- Corpse Husband got matching tattoos with Emma Langevin and the internet is loving it - Dexerto - October 17th, 2021
- The Rock Made a Short Film About the Meaning of His Bull Tattoo - menshealth.com - October 5th, 2021
- Does The Weeknd Have Tattoos? - Cosmopolitan - October 5th, 2021
- Lower-Back Tattoos Are Back - The Cut - October 5th, 2021
- Jake Paul calls out Tyron Woodleys tattoo loophole and wont commit to boxing rematch - Dexerto - October 5th, 2021
- 23 Best Halloween Tattoos Creepy and Traditional Tattoos - countryliving.com - August 20th, 2021
- Police release images of man wanted in attempted burglary - KGET 17 - August 6th, 2021
- Machine Gun Kelly Revealed That He Used To Have A Megan Fox Poster In His Teenage Bedroom - BuzzFeed - July 22nd, 2021
- Holocaust Tattoo Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty ... - July 8th, 2021
- 100+ Best Tattoo Designs and Symbols for Men & Women 2021 - July 8th, 2021
- 110 Best Compass Tattoo Designs, Ideas and Images - July 8th, 2021
- Henna Tattoo Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images - July 8th, 2021
- The Sachs Program announces winners of AAPI grants | Penn Today Fourteen projects will be funded as - Penn Today - July 8th, 2021
- Rihanna Covered Up The Matching Tattoo She Got With Drake - BuzzFeed - June 26th, 2021
- Jada Pinkett-Smith reveals matching tattoos with daughter Willow & mother Adrienne - Capital XTRA - May 28th, 2021
- Ohio Cold Case: Age-Progression Photo Released To Help Public - Patch.com - May 16th, 2021
- Age-Progression image released in Megan Lancaster case - Record Herald - May 16th, 2021
- 10 of the best talented Calgary tattoo artists to get inked by | Curated - Daily Hive - March 8th, 2021
- CURTIS HONEYCUTT: With friends like these ... | Features | albanyherald.com - The Albany Herald - February 17th, 2021
- Stephen Bear branded sick by fans for pretending girlfriend was pregnant with twins with scan ripped off Goo - The Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Local tattoo shops see increase in business as the COVID-19 pandemic continues - The Morning Sun - February 7th, 2021
- Nagaland Locals Shift House On Foot, Watch Video: Trending Topics, Viral Videos and Funny Memes of The Day - LatestLY - February 7th, 2021
- Justice League's Snyder Cut Is Fixing The Most Hated Part Of Leto's Joker - Screen Rant - February 4th, 2021
- Anderson: Sarasota fugitive still running, only now the chase is on to catch him - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - January 30th, 2021
- Married teacher found guilty of having sex with student in a field - Yahoo News Australia - January 30th, 2021
- 23 Fun Long Nail Designs to Copy in 2021 - The Trend Spotter - January 30th, 2021
- One Of The Proud Boys Who Stormed The Capitol Had Instructions For Making Guns And Bombs In His Home, FBI Says - BuzzFeed News - January 30th, 2021
- These Amazing Quilters Will Inspire You To Take Up A New Pandemic Hobby - HuffPost Canada - January 30th, 2021
- Tattoo industry striving to safely ink their way through pandemic - KXXV News Channel 25 - January 25th, 2021
- Former Xbox, SEGA, And EA Head Peter Moore Returns To Gaming - Screen Rant - January 22nd, 2021
- Feds: Man arrested near US Capitol had truckload of weapons - Daily Mountain Eagle - January 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share 6 of their favorite designs to ink, and 5 they don't really like - Yahoo News - January 12th, 2021
- The Myths Behind the Tattoos Worn by 'QAnon Shaman' Jake Angeli - Snopes.com - January 12th, 2021
- Khanyi Mbaus racy tattoo has got the timeline buzzing - All4Women - January 12th, 2021
- Records: Alabama man on bond arrested after Capitol riot - Daily Mountain Eagle - January 12th, 2021
- How Memorial Tattoos Can Help With The Grieving Process - HuffPost - January 9th, 2021
- A radish in a tutu walking a dog? This AI can draw it really well - ABC17News.com - January 9th, 2021
- Stefflon Don Shows Off Upper Thigh Tattoo In Gucci Swimsuit During Ghana Vacation - The Inquisitr - January 9th, 2021
- George Gerdes, Bosch and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo actor, dies at 72 - Yahoo Entertainment - January 5th, 2021
- Taking a look at the Most Useful Android Apps - Programming Insider - January 5th, 2021
- Suspects charged in connection with Steelton shooting - PennLive - January 5th, 2021
- Skin in the game: why getting a tattoo helped me achieve my goals - The Guardian - January 3rd, 2021
- How the Networks Will Fill Airtime on a Quiet New Years Eve - The New York Times - December 31st, 2020
- Why Werent We All Invited To Neymars New Years Eve Party? - The18 - December 31st, 2020
- Mars is revealing its angel, devil and heart "tattoos" as ice melts at its south pole - SYFY WIRE - December 27th, 2020
- Turn Your RPG Character's Into Inked Showcases With The Tome of Mystical Tattoos - TheGamer - December 27th, 2020
- Bloke asks for his mums advice on what tattoo to get and takes her answer WAY too seriously - The Irish Sun - December 23rd, 2020
- Bloke asks for his mums advice on what tattoo to get and takes her answer WAY too seriously - The Sun - December 21st, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077: The Face Tattoos, Ranked - TheGamer - December 17th, 2020
- The 25 Best Latin Songs of 2020: Staff Picks - Billboard - December 17th, 2020
- Cardi B Is Being Sued For The Use Of A Tattoo On Her Album Cover - mit inc - December 12th, 2020
- This Mom Tattooed Her Toddler & We're Actually On Board With It - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 12th, 2020
- Inked for The Very First Time: Madonna shares behind-the-scenes photos of first tattoo at 62 - The Independent - December 9th, 2020
- Keke Palmer Showcases Upper Thigh Tattoo In Tiny Plaid Dress & Leather Knee-High Boots - The Inquisitr - December 8th, 2020
- Sophie Turner shares a never-before-seen photo with Joe Jonas from her pregnancy - Insider - INSIDER - December 6th, 2020
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic Or Memphis Depay Or Sergio Ramos: Whos Got The Best Tattoo On Their Back? - IWMBuzz - December 3rd, 2020
- Oliver Peck Net Worth | What is Tattoo Artist Oliver Peck's Net Worth? - The Cinemaholic - December 2nd, 2020
- Rulers of the Upper Realm, Thunderbirds Are Powerful Native Spirits - National Audubon Society - December 1st, 2020
- Through Positive Eyes: living with HIV and Aids - a photo essay - The Guardian - December 1st, 2020
- A Life On Our Planet: 10 Behind The Scenes Facts You Need To Know - Screen Rant - November 27th, 2020
- Lockdown-defying tattoo shop raided for second time as owner wrongly cites Magna Carta - The Samford Crimson - November 27th, 2020
- EndSARS Protester Inscribes Tattoo On His Chest To Commemorate The Killing Of Nigerians At The Lekki Toll Gate (Photos) - GH Gossip - November 21st, 2020
- Born into occupation, young Afghans fear the Taliban will crush their freedoms when US troops exit - The Bakersfield Californian - November 21st, 2020
- David Fincher: Studios don't want to make anything that can't make billions - FOX 28 Spokane - November 20th, 2020
- BEST PLACES TO GET TATTOOS ON YOUR BODY - Artvoice - November 16th, 2020
- David Fincher: Studios don't want to make anything that can't make billions - lcbcradio.com - November 16th, 2020
- Family Fun: Rocking joy into the world with vibrantly painted rocks - The Spokesman-Review - November 16th, 2020
- The Inconclusive World of Tattoos in the Workplace - Fordham Observer - November 12th, 2020
- Police issue CCTV images of three men over incident on train via Dalmuir - Clydebank Post - November 12th, 2020
- Images released of men after rammy on board Glasgow train - Glasgow Times - November 11th, 2020
- 'I'd been avoiding looking at myself': Breast cancer survivors reveal how mastectomy tattoos changed them - 7NEWS.com.au - November 11th, 2020
- Red Notice: Ryan Reynolds Edits Young Versions of Him & Dwayne Johnson Into Image - Screen Rant - October 31st, 2020