Written by Rebecca Cairns, CNN
With a history spanning millennia across the Middle East, North Africa, and South Asia, henna is steeped in tradition and cultural rituals. The natural dye is typically used to create temporary, intricate body art for religious festivals and celebrations, such as weddings.
Now, Dubai-based designer Azra Khamissa is on a mission to give the ancient practice a modern makeover.
Her aim is to create henna designs that align with fashion trends, along with henna products that can be sold through major cosmetics retailers. Khamissa would like to see henna worn all the time -- not just on special occasions.
Khamissa's minimalist designs include line drawings of faces, flowers and landscapes. Credit: Abdulla El Maz
An ancient art
Henna is made from plant leaves. Its origins as a cosmetic product are unknown, but it has "been used for thousands of years for cosmetic purposes" including coloring hair and nails, and decorating hands and feet, says Ade Solihat, a lecturer and researcher of Arab Studies at Universitas Indonesia.
During Khamissa's childhood, henna was often used for family celebrations like Eid, she says. But as she got older and developed her sense of style, she would "dread" occasions where she had to adorn herself with flowery designs.
Khamissa's attitude to henna started to change at a friend's wedding in 2017. Preparing for the ceremony, she experimented by decorating the center of her palm with a disc (a design called rubeya, in Arabic) and coloring her fingertips (rawayeb, in Arabic). Usually "only grandmothers" would wear this design, says Khamissa, but its simple, bold minimalism appealed to her.
A week later, Khamissa attended a photoshoot for her eponymous handbag brand, where the photographer captured her henna-covered hands. When Khamissa saw the images, she began to see henna in "a different light." Subseqently, she launched her career as a henna artist.
Dubai-based Azra Khamissa wants to make henna an element of everyday fashion. Credit: Aqib Anwar
"I just kept exploring different traditional designs, and then started adding my own touch to them," she says.
Khamissa tests new designs on her own hands first. When she runs out of space, her sister and grandmother volunteer their hands. Her grandmother isn't always a fan of her modern interpretations -- but when she responds positively, Khamissa knows she's onto a winner: "Whatever she likes, I know is a great success, because that's the real traditional eye meeting up with something new and different."
Minimalist and modern
In her work, Khamissa reinterprets traditional ornate floral patterns as pared-back line drawings of single flowers, and replaces complex mandalas with simple geometric shapes. Some designs pay homage to traditional North African and Arabic motifs, while others -- topographical outlines, abstract desert landscapes, and politically inspired flags and words -- are her own unique creations.
Khamissa says the temporary nature of henna -- which lasts around two weeks -- allows for more "crazy" and experimental patterns, like all-over leopard print. For those who don't want to ink themselves permanently, henna offers more flexibility and "makes tattoo culture a bit more inclusive," Khamissa says.
Some of Khamissa's designs are inspired by nature, including Dubai's desert landscapes. Credit: Azra Khamissa
Solihat, the Arab Studies specialist, says henna is no longer tied to "symbolic and sacred meanings." Modern approaches help it to "cross borders, ethnicities, and identities," she says, adding that it is now popular among demographics without a henna heritage, "especially among the urban young generation."
Beauty store henna
It's not just Khamissa's designs that are modern -- she wants to update the way henna is sold, too.
Typically, fresh henna paste, or the raw ingredients to make it, are available only at specialist stores.
"There's a huge gap in the market," says Khamissa. "You can't find henna in a Sephora or Boots, major pharmacies or beauty stores. I want to make it more accessible."
Khamissa hopes her designs will inspire people to embrace henna and wear it in a more casual, contemporary way. Credit: Azra Khamissa
A solution to the shelf-life problem would be mini-freezers, which could keep henna paste fresh for up to six months, says Khamissa. She is considering designing her own freezers to allow her to scale up and sell henna in cosmetics stores.
Khamissa hopes that by making high-quality henna more accessible, more women will be inspired to get creative with body art in their everyday styling. "Henna should be like getting your nails done, your hair done, your makeup done for a look. Adding henna just tops it off beautifully."
Go here to see the original:
- Tinkerbell with tattoos, inked Incredibles; Disney to allow visible tattoos on cast members - WKRG News 5 - April 19th, 2021
- The Ron Swanson Mistake You Never Noticed In Parks And Recreation - Looper - April 4th, 2021
- Ireland Baldwin Reveals Creative Use For David Bowie Tattoo - The Inquisitr News - April 4th, 2021
- Watch Travis Barkers Daughter Alabama Cover Up His Face Tattoos With Makeup - menshealth.com - April 4th, 2021
- Is There KVD Beauty Without Kat Von D? - The Business of Fashion - March 8th, 2021
- What Is Microshading? Heres What To Know About the No-Maintenance, Feathery Brows Everyones Talking About - Well+Good - March 8th, 2021
- Jennifer Aniston finally reveals the meaning behind her '11 11' wrist tattoo - Cosmopolitan UK - March 8th, 2021
- Popular new makeup products to try in 2021 - Belfast Live - February 19th, 2021
- Woman Reacts To Seeing Boyfriend For First Time Without Tattoo-Covered Face - BroBible - February 19th, 2021
- Test Pattern Director Shatara Michelle Ford on Making Their First Film and Being Emotionally Truthful - TheStranger.com - February 19th, 2021
- Here's Why Jeffree Star's 'Delicious' Neck Tattoo Is One Of His Favorites - TheThings - February 17th, 2021
- Blue Light Body Arts to open on the bricks in spring - Hays Daily News - February 17th, 2021
- Exploring the ever-diminishing returns of the Crow franchise - The Spool - February 14th, 2021
- 'Justice League': Check out Jared Leto's freaky Joker in the trailer for Zack Snyder's new HBO Max cut - USA TODAY - February 14th, 2021
- JUSTICE LEAGUE Director Zack Snyder Addresses Absence Of The Joker's SUICIDE SQUAD Tattoos In The Snyder Cut - CBM (Comic Book Movie) - February 11th, 2021
- Zack Snyder explains why Joker's tattoos were removed in Justice League - Explica - February 11th, 2021
- How TikTok communists are reclaiming the hammer and sickle - i-D - February 11th, 2021
- Why Leto's Joker Doesn't Have His "Damaged" Tattoo In Justice League - Screen Rant - February 10th, 2021
- Site of the day: Want a tattoo? You have to download this app - Explica - February 10th, 2021
- Salma Hayek Shows off Chest Tattoos for New Movie 'Bliss' - PopCulture.com - February 7th, 2021
- The rise of beauty enhancements and Maya Darwiche - Sunrise News - February 7th, 2021
- The eyes have it: Above-the-mask makeup sees pandemic surge - CBC.ca - February 7th, 2021
- BB14 promo: Salman Khan schools Abhinav for his choice of words; asks if he's 'going in the right direction' - Times Now - February 7th, 2021
- Tattoo Stamp - MILK MAKEUP | Sephora - February 6th, 2021
- Eye Studio Color Tattoo 24HR Cream Gel Eyeshadow - Maybelline - February 6th, 2021
- Salma Hayek flaunts new large tattoo and fans freak out - HOLA USA - February 6th, 2021
- Gigi Hadid Now Has A Tattoo Tribute To Baby Girl And It Matches Zayn Maliks - Capital - February 4th, 2021
- Bobrisky lavishes N596k while shopping for lady that tattooed him on her back - Legit.ng - February 4th, 2021
- Make-up artist Mei Pang is turning the internet into her beauty playground - Dazed - February 4th, 2021
- Nick Carter of Backstreet Boys Covered Up His Paris Hilton Tattoo With a Skull and Crossbones - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 4th, 2021
- Two Singaporean women pioneering in the rise of hand-poked tattoos - News24 - February 4th, 2021
- Britney Spears Fans Concerned About Singers Well-Being After Her Latest Video Upload - The Inquisitr - February 4th, 2021
- Priyanka Chopra is a sight to behold as the bold and beautiful cover star of Elle UK - Bollywood Hungama - February 4th, 2021
- Promised Neverland: 10 Great Emma Cosplay You Have To See | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 4th, 2021
- The Multiple Personalities of Johnny Depp: The Smearing of Makeup and a Beloved Actors Career - Mandatory - February 2nd, 2021
- Hunter Schafer on the Reverb of Euphorias Makeup and Her Road-Trip Beauty Essentials - Vanity Fair - January 24th, 2021
- BTS' Jungkook reveals tattoos on show and fans are excited to get a close-up view - CNA - January 24th, 2021
- Forget microblading... These eyebrow tattoo stickers are the in-thing - Jacaranda FM - January 24th, 2021
- Jurassic World: Age, Height, & 8 Other Things You Didn't Know About Jeff Goldblum - Screen Rant - January 24th, 2021
- Foundation getting in the way of your natural freckles? Here's how you can make them pop again - News24 - January 20th, 2021
- Forget Shoes, It's About the Lipstick: Hollywood Stylists Share Lessons Learned From Working in a Pandemic - Hollywood Reporter - January 15th, 2021
- Apex Legends: 10 Loba Cosplays That Prove She Is The Best Character - TheGamer - January 15th, 2021
- New fashion trend went viral, women tattooing tattoos to hide dark circles and stretch mark - Primetime - January 12th, 2021
- Makeup trends 2021 | Beauty - MAG THE WEEKLY - Mag The Weekly Magazine - January 12th, 2021
- Assassins Creed Valhalla: 10 Female Eivor Cosplays That Are Battle-Ready - TheGamer - January 12th, 2021
- Justin Bieber Covered Up All His Tattoos for the Anyone Music Video and the Video Is Mesmerizing to Watch - Us Weekly - January 9th, 2021
- Fans Think Cardi B Deserves A Superhero Name | TheThings - TheThings - January 9th, 2021
- Priyanka Chopra In Trouble With UK Cops After Breaking Lockdown Rules - Talent Recap - January 9th, 2021
- Nikita Dragun Masters The Underboob Look In Metallic Bandeau Top With Matching Thigh-High Slit Skirt - The Inquisitr News - January 3rd, 2021
- Justin Bieber Shared a Video of Himself Getting His Tattoos Covered Up for His New "Anyone" Music Video Watch - Allure - January 3rd, 2021
- Prateik Babbar experiments with his hair colour again, goes from red to blue - Republic World - December 28th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077: 5 Things That Make No Sense About V (& 5 Fan Theories That Really Do) - TheGamer - December 28th, 2020
- Fashion trends that originated from other cultures - Los Angeles Times - December 28th, 2020
- 89 Best Truth or Dare Questions and Dares - Teen Vogue - December 28th, 2020
- Louisa Johnson Showcases Chest Tattoo In Low-Cut White Top For A Series Of Close-Up Snaps - The Inquisitr - December 23rd, 2020
- Get the Look: a gold mine of information about gilded makeup looks - Irish Examiner - December 21st, 2020
- Replicating Success In The ECommerce World: A Case Study With James Khuri - Forbes - December 21st, 2020
- Pete Davidson is reportedly in the process of removing all of his tattoos - 21-Dec-2020 - NZ Entertainment news - NZCity - December 21st, 2020
- TRIED & TESTED: "I got my eyebrows tattooed with a freehand blade. Here's how it went." - Mamamia - December 18th, 2020
- Permanent Makeup Information: Eyeliner, Lipstick, and More - December 18th, 2020
- People Have a Lot of Feelings About Pete Davidson Removing All of His Tattoos - POPSUGAR - December 17th, 2020
- Are Hair and Beauty Salons Allowed to Be Open in Tier 3? - POPSUGAR United Kingdom - December 17th, 2020
- Docs with Tattoos: More Relatable to Patients? - MedPage Today - December 14th, 2020
- Keep Your Eye On These Young Designers From Around the World - W Magazine - December 3rd, 2020
- Carmen Electra, 48, Nearly Bursts Out Of Plunging Corset While Caressing Her Chest - The Inquisitr - November 26th, 2020
- 7 of the best and 6 of the worst beauty trends of the year, so far - INSIDER - November 25th, 2020
- Guns N Roses Stars Daughter Draws All Eyes To Her Backside As She Strikes A Sultry Pose With ... - Metalhead Zone - November 25th, 2020
- Gen-Z is finding alternatives to traditional mental health resources through social media - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 21st, 2020
- KVD Vegan Beauty Debuts Holiday 2020 with First-Ever Fully-Recycled Eyeshadow Palette, Dazzling Shadows Sticks, Vegan Lashes and a Plethora of... - November 20th, 2020
- Astanza Wins Top Aesthetic Company, Best Laser Service and Training, and Best Laser Company to Work For in the Aesthetic Everything 2020 Aesthetic and... - November 20th, 2020
- Valeria Micropigmentation Is One of The Most Trusted Solution for Permanent Makeup - Press Release - Digital Journal - November 18th, 2020
- Revealed: The Get The Gloss Beauty and Wellness Awards 2020 winners - Get The Gloss - November 18th, 2020
- Queen Icon Roger Taylors Daughter Tiger Lily Looks Sexy In Red, Shows A Secret Tattoo And Explains ... - Metalhead Zone - November 18th, 2020
- New Zealand has just elected one of the most diverse parliaments in the world. Here's how it stacks up - KESQ - November 18th, 2020
- Cardi B Puts Her Colorful Leg Tattoo on Display in a Red Reebok Outfit from Her New Collection - AmoMama - November 16th, 2020
- Lee Sang Yeob Hilariously Pretends To Be Bentley From The Future On The Return Of Superman - soompi - November 16th, 2020
- Tejaswini Pandit Flaunts A Rare Barcode Tattoo, Fans Wonder What Scanning It Will Lead To? - Zee Kannada - November 12th, 2020
- Chris Evans Has 9 Hidden Tattoos Here's What They Mean - POPSUGAR - November 11th, 2020
- Assassins Creed Valhalla Will Feature Photo Mode at Launch. Know All The Updates Right Here ! - Stanford Arts Review - November 9th, 2020
- 'Welcome to Plathville': The Plaths Are More Divided Than Ever in the Season 2 Sneak Peek Moriah Calls Her Parents' House a 'Cage,' Ethan Gets a... - November 9th, 2020