NewsWorldFounded by British-Canadian right-wing activist Gavin McInnes and chaired by Enrique Tarrio, Proud Boys are identifiable by their wearing of black and yellow Fred Perry shirts and have been known to use violence against left-wing groups such as Antifa
Tuesday, 12th January 2021, 5:08 pm
On January 6, a ragtag band of Donald Trump supporters shocked the world when they stormed the US Capitol Building, leaving a trail of destruction and violence in their wake.
Though the invaders of the symbol of American Democracy are made up of a bizarre patchwork of far-right groups, conspiracy theorists and lone wolves, a significant proportion of those pictured at the scene affiliated themselves with the often violent Proud Boys.
In recent months the group have become synonymous with violent opposition to the Black Lives Matter and Antifa movements.
And ahead of president-elect Joe Bidens inauguration, many have again promised to march in support of a defeated Donald Trump.
Proud Boys are a far-right, anti-immigrant, all male group who have been known to use violence against left-wing opponents.
Members can be identified by their use of black and yellow Fred Perry shirts, American flags, Make America Great Again hats and military armour. Members often carry guns.
The group was founded in 2016 by Canadian-British right wing activist Gavin McInnes. The name Proud Boys derives from a song in Disney film Aladdin Proud of Your Boy.
According to reports, the initiation process to join the group involves reciting: Im a proud Western chauvinist, I refuse to apologize for creating the modern world, before being punched by fellow members. They are then required to receive a tattoo, to vow not to masturbate and then get into a fight for the cause.
Their beliefs are extreme and vary from the call to "give everyone a gun" and "end welfare" to the return to traditional gender roles such as "venerate the housewife".
The FBI list Proud Boys as an extremist group while Southern Poverty Law Center have labelled them a hate group.
Several members of the extremist group have been arrested for engaging in violence with two members jailed for beating up left-wing protestors in New York in 2019.
The group recently gathered in Portland to support Donald Trump and end domestic terrorism. Some held signs which read Free Kyle showing support for Kyle Rittenhouse who is charged with murdering two anti-racist protestors in Kenosha, Wisconsin.
Trumps stand back and standby comments explained
On September 30, during a farcical first US presidential debate, moderator Chris Wallace called on Donald Trump to denounce the actions of far-right white supremacy groups.
Democrat candidate Joe Biden, who went head to head with Mr Trump in Cleveland, Ohio, on 29 September, then prompted the president to denounce the group Proud Boys.
Mr Trump refused, stating: "Proud Boys - stand back and stand by".
In a debate full of muddled and shocking soundbites from the incumbent president Mr Trump refused to say he would recognise Novembers result - his dog-whistle response to extremist far-right groups was arguably his most disturbing.
Members of the far-right group celebrated the 45th US presidents quote, with some claiming it was a call to prepare for action.
Mr Trump has since condemned the group, telling Sean Hannity of Fox News: "I've said it many times, let me be clear again, I condemn the KKK [Ku Klux Klan]. I condemn all white supremacists. I condemn the Proud Boys.
"I don't know much about the Proud Boys, almost nothing, but I condemn that."
Read more from the original source:
- Jill Duggar shows off her fresh haircut & teases big changes after reality star revealed she may get a... - The Sun - November 23rd, 2021
- 30 things to know about The Pyramid as the Memphis landmark turns 30 - Commercial Appeal - November 9th, 2021
- They created monsters: How New Zealands brutal welfare system produced criminals - The Guardian - October 29th, 2021
- Alone, starved and living with a brothers corpse. Why did no one save the Texas house of horror boys? - The Independent - October 29th, 2021
- Local Kan. elections getting taken over by bruising DC-style politics - Hays Post - October 29th, 2021
- Leaked Video Helped Lead to the Conviction of a Far Right "Proud Boy" - Truthout - October 17th, 2021
- For the Flyers Kevin Hayes, his big brother will never be gone - The Delaware County Daily Times - October 17th, 2021
- The Skys The Limit, On And Off The Court, And These Girls Have Got Next - CBS Chicago - October 17th, 2021
- 8 Best Places To Get A Tattoo for Both Men and Women - TheTealMango - October 5th, 2021
- Real Madrid 1-2 Sheriff: Sebastien Thill has tattoo of himself dreaming of the UCL - GIVEMESPORT - October 5th, 2021
- #BlackInkChi Recap: Ryan Confronts Former Friend After Sleeping With His Ex, Twitter Says Hes For The Streets - HipHopWired - October 5th, 2021
- Review: At the Hella Mega Tour it was all about the cult of Green Day - pacificsandiego.com - September 1st, 2021
- Matt Willis is removing his tattoos in a bid to bag top movie roles... - The Sun - August 20th, 2021
- Lauren Phillips Reveals The Matching 'Bad Tattoo' She Has With A Scottish Boy - KIIS1011 - August 20th, 2021
- R Kelly trial hears singer is a 'predator' who lured girls, boys and young women with his fame - ABC News - August 20th, 2021
- Why Jonah Hills body love tattoo is so important for the male body positive movement - Yahoo Life - August 6th, 2021
- What's New to Stream on Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+ and More in July 2021 - TV Guide - July 22nd, 2021
- Love Island: What tattoos does Danny Bibby have and what do they mean? - Metro.co.uk - July 22nd, 2021
- Capitol riot suspect arrested after giant tattoo revealed on video - The Independent - June 9th, 2021
- The Sacred Male Body Modification Practices That Still Exist Today - InsideHook - May 16th, 2021
- `We were never terrorists`: Proud Boys Canada officially dissolved` - WION - May 4th, 2021
- Farmer Boys celebrating 40th anniversary with free burger tattoo - KTNV Las Vegas - April 19th, 2021
- Here are the nine men from Hudson Valley charged with participating in Jan. 6 Capitol riot - Times Herald-Record - April 19th, 2021
- Crowdfunding Hate in the Name of Christ - The Nation - April 4th, 2021
- Guest Opinion | Reflections on the course Women Unknown: Fight for Independence - UI The Daily Iowan - April 4th, 2021
- Part 3: How a Trini played a role in the life of Nipsey Hussle - Loop News Trinidad and Tobago - April 4th, 2021
- We want to keep him alive Family, friends remember San Antonios Tito Bradshaw two years later - San Antonio Express-News - April 4th, 2021
- Quick on the draw: Castagna the chaotic Tiger with a tattoo gun - The Age - April 4th, 2021
- Love Island Australias Phoebe Thompson reveals WAP lip tattoo as she celebrates birthday - The Irish Sun - March 8th, 2021
- Brave, Powerful, Complicated: The Most Formidable Heroines In Film - British Vogue - March 8th, 2021
- Jaden Hill is LSU's ace pitcher who has a bigger calling in life: 'I'm chosen to help people' - The Advocate - February 19th, 2021
- Gangland: a book about meth and the people whose lives it touches - The Spinoff - February 17th, 2021
- SA tattoo artist to the stars on taking his skill abroad - News24 - February 14th, 2021
- Memories of dad help make University of Houston's Justin Gorham a rebounding machine - Houston Chronicle - February 11th, 2021
- Tauranga's strongest head to the Highlands - The Bay's News First - SunLive - February 6th, 2021
- Nick Carter of Backstreet Boys Got His Paris Hilton Tattoo Just 3 Week Before They Broke up - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 30th, 2021
- 2 Green Country Women Share Stories Through Tattoo Ink; Competing In National Contest - News On 6 - January 30th, 2021
- Gangs? Cliques? Subgroups? Call Them What You Will There've Been 18 (Yes, 18) In The LA Sheriff's Department - LAist - January 22nd, 2021
- Trump's useful thugs: how the Republican party offered a home to the Proud Boys - The Guardian - January 22nd, 2021
- Proud Boys among groups being watched as inauguration approaches. Do they have Northeast Ohio ties? - Akron Beacon Journal - January 20th, 2021
- Theyve been hidden too long: Report details Los Angeles Sheriffs deputy gangs and violence toward communities of color - East Bay Times - January 15th, 2021
- Hawaii Proud Boy Charged By DOJ After Raiding US Capitol - Honolulu Civil Beat - January 9th, 2021
- Swimming With My Shirt Off - The New York Times - January 9th, 2021
- How the Internet Reflected on and Coped With the Capitol Attack - Hyperallergic - January 9th, 2021
- The Weekly-ish Mailbag is mailing it in this week. - Off Tackle Empire - December 31st, 2020
- Four months before her wedding, Mary knew it was over - Sydney Morning Herald - December 19th, 2020
- Family, determination and a dream: The Real Woods story - The Stanford Daily - December 16th, 2020
- Skating solo gives me time to study everyone else on the rink - The Globe and Mail - December 16th, 2020
- LOCAL NEWS BRIEFS: Price is Right Live show rescheduled - Goshen News - December 16th, 2020
- Controversial Mom Made One Of Her Twin Toddlers Get A Tattoo For Very Important Reason - BabyGaga - December 11th, 2020
- Mum of twins tattoos one so she can tell them apart leaving mother-in-law fuming - Daily Star - December 11th, 2020
- Farmingtons mayor of 12 years memorializes his experience in tattoo - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - December 8th, 2020
- Im A Celebrity superfan gets tattoo of Ant and Dec at Gwrych Castle inked onto his thigh - The Sun - December 1st, 2020
- MacAdam: Fascination with Mike Tyson began in Albany - The Daily Gazette - November 27th, 2020
- 'Home town boys' return to Philippi Main Street - The Inter-Mountain - November 20th, 2020
- The Post-Election Proud Boys Meltdown Is Here, and It's Ugly - The Daily Beast - November 12th, 2020
- I just want to be with my friends: how will children cope with being cooped up again in second lockdown? - The Guardian - November 9th, 2020
- 240+ Inspirational & Meaningful One Word Tattoos (2020 ... - November 6th, 2020
- 75+ Best Small Tattoos For Men (2020) - Simple Cool ... - November 6th, 2020
- Tickets for sale in Snohomish County and around the region - The Daily Herald - November 5th, 2020
- Seances, tattoos and the unbreakable bond between Mikaela Mayer and Al Mitchell - ESPN - October 30th, 2020
- Students rediscover their childhood fandoms on TikTok - Daily Northwestern - October 29th, 2020
- Chase Winovich talks playing time, conspiracy theories with Zolak & Bertrand - 98.5 The Sports Hub - October 22nd, 2020
- The Cycle of Punitive Justice Starts in Schools. Eric Butler Is Showing Kids and Teachers How to Break It. - Mother Jones - October 21st, 2020
- The Proud Boys? - SOFREP - October 16th, 2020
- Theatre Alliance to perform outdoor production of Devil Boys from Beyond - Yes! Weekly - October 16th, 2020
- Freshers' Flu - Why My Mum Invented COVID - Cherwell Online - October 10th, 2020
- Who Are the Proud Boys Trump Told To 'Stand Back and Stand By'? - Snopes.com - October 8th, 2020
- Dan Osbornes tattoo shows hes protective of Jacqueline Jossa & the meaning behind Brooklyn Beckhams spoo - The Sun - October 7th, 2020
- When the Proud Boys came to town - The Economist - October 7th, 2020
- The ten essential facts you need to know about BTS's Suga - Film Daily - October 6th, 2020
- 30 Best Neck Tattoos for Boys and Girls - The Best Tattoo ... - September 30th, 2020
- Best 100+ Tattoo Designs For Men and Boys - Youme And Trends - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys, the extremist group Trump named in the debate - Insider - INSIDER - September 30th, 2020
- Fred Perry Will Denounce Proud Boys, But The President Won't - Highsnobiety - September 30th, 2020
- Hooligans With Heart: Phoenix Risings Red Fury fan club reaches out to refugees - Cronkite News - September 30th, 2020
- Whats New on Netflix UK & Top 10s: September 30th, 2020 - What's on Netflix - September 30th, 2020
- From the Fields: Soaking it up now | agrinews-pubs.com - Agri News - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys and why did Trump tell them to stand by? - The Irish Sun - September 30th, 2020
- The Giant Proud Boy Rally That Wasn't - VICE - September 28th, 2020