She called herself a fighter, tattooing the scripted word, in black ink, onto her inner forearm while fighting for her life.
Her family used the verb pivot again and again to describe her adaptability, explaining that Grace Orzechowski absorbed the emotional and physical pain caused by her terminal brain cancer like a champ, never losing hope no matter what all those doctors told her.
Her lacrosse coach at Concord High said Orzechowski was team captain because thats the way her teammates wanted it. Tom Arnold, the former owner of Arnies Place, called her the Captain when she worked for him because the label simply fit.
And her boyfriend Tyler Olander, whos 6-foot-10 and played college basketball with Boston Celtics star Kemba Walker at the University of Connecticut, said he was happy to follow the trail of compassion and competitiveness and charisma forged by Grace.
Right up through the day she died, on Dec. 20.
Ive been around a lot of team leaders, said Olander, who won a national championship at UConn in 2014, and all I can say to you is that she is above them all.
Olander joined a conference call with Graces family her parents, Ray Orzechowski and Anne LaForce, her sister, 26-year-old Hannah, and her brother, Sam, 20.
They wanted to remember Grace, even with the wound so fresh.
We love to talk about her. Its easy, LaForce said. Its joyful, and we were wondering how we would feel once this happened.
Even after the tragedy of a 24-year-old dying after a two-year struggle with brain cancer, unlocking old memories kept spirits up.
Once, Sam was in the unenviable position of being the little brother, a grade school kid targeted by his evil sisters, the high schoolers with strong personalities and a stronger bond who were born just 17 months apart.
The year (Hannah) moved to Boston for school, Grace and I were home and my parents thought we going to kill each other, said Sam, whos studying industrial engineering at Northeastern University. There were a couple of broken things around the house.
Soon, though, Sam got the message, joining Graces orbit later in his teens and benefiting from her integrity and thoughts and behavior.
I started molding my personality after her, Sam said. She was the best role model I ever could have asked for.
The bond between the sisters suffered no such early fraying. Grace and Hannah were one grade apart. They played jokes on friends, pretending they were twins.
And in a sense, they were.
Coming from UConn, driving home to Concord for the weekend, Grace always stopped in Boston to pick up Hannah at Northeastern.
I always wanted her to be part of my friends groups, said Hannah, who works for a software company that specializes in research and development. Shed say to me, I love that you are me, only better. It was just so special. I loved sharing her with my people.
Graces academic and sports accomplishments filled a detailed timeline, sent to me by her father Ray, a Concord dentist. Grace played lacrosse and field hockey at Concord High, captained both teams and won a state championship in lacrosse in 2012.
Add the intangibles, like mixing with and cheering for the schools junior varsity lacrosse team, and the aura of an emerging leader followed Grace everywhere.
A great role model, said Steph Johnson of Derry, Graces high school lacrosse coach. Her peers respected her. She played midfield, so her stats werent great, but she was always willing to help her teammates out and pass off so they could score instead.
The girls voted for the player they thought should be captain, Johnson continued. They wanted someone they could work with and look to as a positive role model.
She met Olander at Uconn. As her father noted on his timeline, his daughter met the love of her life.
Hes far more than a boyfriend, he said. Hes a big presence in the family. Grace got to know romantic love. As a family, you can give her love, but that allowed them to experience that other part of life. He was part of this decision-making process and he was there for all (meetings).
They met online three years ago. It didnt take long for Olander to feel Graces strong, positive vibe. She was a senior the year Olander graduated.
Great fun, Olander said. A great relationship in all aspects. You can not put Grace into words. She had her own way of doing things, and she was unapologetically herself and a kind person you wanted to follow.
After UConn, she pursued her an advanced degree in physical therapy at Franklin Pierce University. Severe headaches in the fall of 2108 led to testing and scans and mystery. And a series of pivots as well, one piece of bad news at a time.
She had to leave Franklin Pierce. She was diagnosed with a highly malignant brain tumor in Feb. of 2019. She endured extensive treatments of chemotherapy and radiation. She lost her hair, wore a wig, lost sight in one eye, wore a patch.
She still found time to return to UConn, where she danced for 18 hours in the annual HuskyThon, raising money for a childrens medical center. She had recently revealed her illness. She hoped for $5,000 and raised $36,000, a HuskyThon record.
She improved, the tumors faded. Then the tumors returned. That cycle happened again, a heartbreaking turn that had devastating effects on everyone.
And how did Grace respond to all those setbacks? She pivoted, of course. Better than anyone else did.
Still fighting cancer, amazed at the care she had received from radiation therapists at the Dana Farber cancer Institute, Grace, shockingly, went back to school, to New Hampshire Technical Institute, to study in its radiation therapy program.
Just like that. Fight cancer. Back to school. Change career paths.
When most folks get treated for this, they do not have good memories about it, said Amy VonKadich, the department chair of diagnostic medical imaging at NHTI.
You do it to get better, but undergoing something like that to get better, and then it turns into something you want to do as a career, shes the first person Ive ever seen do that, VonKadich said.
Even near the end, Grace would not yield.
Three months before she died, there she was, in the passengers seat in her mothers car, using a walker to get around campus.
Shed get to class early, LaForce said. Id walk her in. She wanted to get back just for the energy. She worried she was doing too much, but she was determined not to let things change because of the cancer.
Medical solutions and treatments only gave false hope. Glioblastoma is the most aggressive cancer that originates in the brain, an elusive enemy known for retreating initially, then bypassing medical obstacles in its relentless attack on the body.
And with hope fading essentially gone, actually guess what Grace chose to do: switch to the Keto Diet, of course. Eliminate sugar to starve the cancer. Eat red meat and bacon for protein-enriched calories. Keep punching.
So everyone pivoted.
It was another way we could feel empowered when treating her cancer, her father said. We ate red meat. Every time she ate bacon shed act like it was the first time shed ever had it. Every morning, shed say, Bacon, please.
Those words were put on a bracelet to show support. Another donation-raising bracelet read pivot. She got her Fighter tattoo while in hospice care.
And she died at home, her choice, eating bacon to the end, going to school to the end, inspiring to the end. Fading away in hospice was not an option.
She wanted to make sure shes known as the girl who went off hospice, LaForce said. She decided it was just time.
Grace died at home on Dec. 20. But not before squeezing and kissing hands. Shed whisper, Love you more, each time someone said they loved her.
Her name lives forever at NHTI, which created the Grace K. Orzechowski Memorial Scholarship.
A pair of $1,000 scholarships will be awarded, including one to Graces former classmate in NHTIs radiation program. Donations exceed $41,000.
She got bad news and she would process it and cry and say, I am done being sad, lets move on, Ray Orzechowski said. We just provided the love anyone in that position needed.
Though gone physically, shes still here, her mother said.
Her presence is everywhere right now The wind and the fog are lifting. Her young energy is so strong that I feel her.
See original here:
- US-Mexico border closure turned busy streets into ghost town - Business Insider - September 1st, 2021
- History Of Tattoo. The Time Of The Appearance Of The First Tattoos. - The Seeker Newsmagazine Cornwall - The Seeker - August 20th, 2021
- Australian Baroques Space Music blends historical composition and astronomical images at the Girls School - The West Australian - August 6th, 2021
- Abi Rawlings: Who is the Love Island 2021 star? - The Independent - August 6th, 2021
- The Unending Allure Of the Tattoo Boyfriend and the Pretty Girlfriend - Jezebel - July 8th, 2021
- Rauw Alejandro, Like the Rest of Us, Has A Big Crush on J.Lo - Interview - July 8th, 2021
- Love Island hunk to wow girls in villa by showing them tattoo of his MUM... - The Sun - June 26th, 2021
- Brooke Shields finds an unusual and very personal way to bond with her teenage daughter - Woman & Home - June 26th, 2021
- Katie Prices fiance Carl Woods trolled over new tattoo of her with fans saying it looks like her rival J... - The Irish Sun - June 26th, 2021
- Tokyo Tattoo Girls on Steam - June 9th, 2021
- Blueface Responds to Video of Women Getting Tattoos, in Bunk Beds - XXL - XXLMAG.COM - May 4th, 2021
- Grandpa wants to bribe girls not to get a tattoo - The Boston Globe - May 4th, 2021
- Heres The Full Story Behind That Viral TikTok Of A Girl Getting Upskirted At A Syd Tattoo Shop - Pedestrian TV - April 19th, 2021
- Ruby Rose on gender, bullying and breaking free: I had a problem with authority - The Guardian - April 4th, 2021
- Traditional Croatian Tattoos: Meet the tattoo artist keeping tradition alive - Croatia Week - March 8th, 2021
- David and Victoria Beckham Have a Matching Hebrew Tattoo Here's What It Means - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 8th, 2021
- Exotic Body Works celebrates 25th anniversary - Hammonton Gazette - February 14th, 2021
- Gigi Hadid and Zayn Malik now have matching tattoos in honour of their daughter Emirates Woman - Emirates Woman - February 11th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Irish Sun - February 11th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Sun - February 10th, 2021
- 10 Celebs Who Have Finger Tattoos | TheThings - TheThings - February 7th, 2021
- Kamala Harris' Stepdaughter Ella Emhoff Is Making Waves Get To Know The Rising Model In 5 Snaps - OK! - February 4th, 2021
- Problems with girls and the Troubles with men - The Irish Times - February 4th, 2021
- New Movies to Watch This Week: Supernova, The Little Things, Palmer - Variety - February 2nd, 2021
- Cops investigated kidnappings, extortions, teen runaways across California. Victims all ended up at same motel, forced into sex trafficking, feds say... - January 27th, 2021
- 'Miss Scarlet and the Duke' Recap: Episode 2 - WTTW News - January 25th, 2021
- Modern, Edgy And Bold: Different Bob Cuts For Girls To Try - Femina - January 15th, 2021
- What's New on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Disney+, and More in January 2021 - TV Guide - January 15th, 2021
- KVD Vegan Beauty Announces Launch of Limited-Edition Tattoo Liner with Global Organization, Girl Up - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2021
- Sonakshi Sinha Paints The Town Yellow in an Embroidered Cape Set from the Shelves of Arpita Mehta Worth Rs 39 - India.com - January 12th, 2021
- Musician tattoo stories | Wild and funny tattoos - Alternative Press - January 12th, 2021
- 40+ YA Book Cover Artists and Designers to Follow on Instagram - Book Riot - January 12th, 2021
- FIRST LOOK: Meet the contestants for new reality dating show The Cabins - FM104 - January 5th, 2021
- The Cabins cast: Meet all the contestants in the winter Love Island dating show - The Sun - January 5th, 2021
- What's New on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Disney+, and More in January 2021 - TV Guide - January 3rd, 2021
- Gothika Ending, Explained | Why Did Miranda See the Boy's Ghost? - The Cinemaholic - December 31st, 2020
- Tour Tales | Crowned YB shares untold stories of shooting Dave East around the world - REVOLT TV - December 31st, 2020
- An Interview with Gareth Johnson MP by Neve Wilson, Dartford Grammar School for Girls - This is Local London - December 31st, 2020
- Everything coming to and leaving Netflix in January 2021 - Fox News - December 28th, 2020
- Well At Least Some Positives for Women in 2020 - The Citizen - December 27th, 2020
- Jollof Couscous & Leather Jackets: Inside The Mind Of Enny - British Vogue - December 25th, 2020
- This is Justin Vernon from Bon Ivers favourite song of all time - Far Out Magazine - December 25th, 2020
- Family beg dad who disappeared after saying he was 'going away' to call this Christmas - Liverpool Echo - December 25th, 2020
- Shows like Black Widows that you may like; from Django Unchained to Gone Girl & more - Republic World - December 25th, 2020
- Michaela Garechts mother reacts to arrest of suspect in 1988 Hayward kidnapping of 9-year-old daughter - San Francisco Chronicle - December 25th, 2020
- The Interview Gift Guide That Gives Back - Interview - December 23rd, 2020
- 25 Feather Tattoos for Girls in 2020 NewShables - December 21st, 2020
- How sexy these tattoos on intimate body parts of women ... - December 21st, 2020
- How I Met Your Mother: 10 Worst First Dates The Characters Had - Screen Rant - December 21st, 2020
- Sabrina Carpenter's Got Her Very First Tattoo, and It's a Reference to Her "Lucky" Life - POPSUGAR Beauty Austrailia - December 18th, 2020
- Whats New On Netflix In January: Night Stalker, History of Swear Words, Cobra Kai And More - BroBible - December 18th, 2020
- Roxanne First Shares Her Inspirations - Vanity Fair - December 16th, 2020
- So, What the Hell Folk Tales Is Taylor Swift Telling Now on evermore? - Vulture - December 12th, 2020
- The Work Diary of Mira Mariah, Tattoo and Girl Culture Expert - The New York Times - December 11th, 2020
- Strongest girl in the world: Meet the 7-year-old who can lift 80 kg - The Indian Express - December 11th, 2020
- Mum of twins divides opinion after tattooing one baby to help tell them apart - Heart - December 11th, 2020
- Three Oaks wants INKED to raise awareness - Toronto Star - December 11th, 2020
- [150+] Beautiful Wrist Tattoo Ideas ... - Tattoos for Girls - December 6th, 2020
- The girl with her own tattoos: the joy of homemade ink - The Guardian - December 6th, 2020
- 35 Hand Tattoos for Women | Cute Tattoos For Girls On Hand - December 6th, 2020
- Emily Viti's son has MPS and the Framingham High volleyball coach is fighting to find a cure for the terminal disease - Milford Daily News - December 6th, 2020
- Mara and Dona: Argentine twins a living tribute to soccer great - Reuters - November 28th, 2020
- Born into occupation, young Afghans fear the Taliban will crush their freedoms when US troops exit - Anchorage Daily News - November 23rd, 2020
- Environmental contest's winning displays and essays are on exhibit at Jeff Library - NOLA.com - November 18th, 2020
- Tiffany Calver: Living the dream | DJMag.com - DJ Mag - November 18th, 2020
- Blind date: 'We realised we have matching tattoos' - The Guardian - November 16th, 2020
- Tattooed twins from Germany (PHOTOS) - The Saxon - November 12th, 2020
- A Clover in weeds, loss, homelessness, beatings and love - Tucson Weekly - November 5th, 2020
- The Real Housewives of New York City's First-Ever Black Housewife Isn't Holding Back - The Daily Beast - November 3rd, 2020
- Every time Bollywood actresses proved that they are protective mothers - Times Now - November 3rd, 2020
- Broadley, BF girls three-peat on Thetford trail - Brattleboro Reformer - November 1st, 2020
- Jack Nowell: Would I get a tattoo of Eddie Jones? Only if he promises to pick me for every England game - iNews - October 31st, 2020
- Ronald Hall, Worcester man accused of human trafficking, kept women addicted to drugs and had his nickname ta - MassLive.com - October 30th, 2020
- Learner Dad: 'I need to get the kids to write an early Santa letter so they cant change their minds' - Irish Examiner - October 27th, 2020
- 133 Inspiring Cute and Small Tattoos Ideas for Girls - October 22nd, 2020
- 30 Beautiful Tattoos for Girls 2020 - Meaningful Tattoo ... - October 22nd, 2020
- Jill Duggar's Tattoo Opinions Have Changed, but Does She Have One? - Distractify - October 22nd, 2020
- Sophie Turner wears vote hoodie on stroll with Joe Jonas and baby girl - Metro.co.uk - October 22nd, 2020
- Jacqueline Jossa reveals her incredible singing voice in the car after admitting she wants to sing on stage - The Irish Sun - October 22nd, 2020
- Jacqueline Jossa reveals her incredible singing voice in the car after admitting she wants to sing on stage - The Sun - October 21st, 2020