Tattoos are popular for people of all ages and genders even on the face but for Indigenous women, it's not about being trendy. It's about reclaiming atraditional form of self-expression.
A few years ago, Stacey Fayant, a Regina artist, decided to explore the art of traditional tattooing because it piqued her interest.
"All my art is centred around my identity and culture and exploring how trauma from colonization has affected our identities," said Fayant. "I never knew that my people tattooed, so when I found out, there was a real strong pull to find out more about it and I knew I had to be involved in reawakening it here in Saskatchewan."
Fayant, who is of Cree, Saulteaux and Mtis descent, was professionally trained in the stick-and-poke and skin-stitch methods. These to forms of tattooing existed on this continent prior to contact, which is why she wanted to learn these specific techniques.
Initially, Fayant thought she would share her knowledge with just her family, but has been overwhelmed by the response from the Indigenous community. Waiting lists for her tattoos, prior to the pandemic, were at least six months long.
"People seem to know that they need this and it's for the right reasons," she said. "They are coming to me specifically for a traditional tattoo that connects them to their identity and their culture."
Fayant said face tattoos such as chin and temple tattoos are not viewed as taboo among Indigenous cultures around the globe, so she's not surprised Indigenous women are choosing to get such markings.
For Nina Wilson, a Saskatoon resident and co-founder of Idle No More, the decision to get her forehead tattoo seemed natural.
"I was always a part of [Indigenous ceremonies]for at least 25 or 30 years and we always had paint," she said. "Indian paint was always used to mark us for certain things we were about to do, certain things we did, certain things we were known for."
Traditional paints are extracted from the minerals in rocks, soil and plants and are mixed to createhues.
"What I chose to do was permanently mark my face, so I wouldn't have to keep putting it on and taking it off and putting it on," said Wilson.
She has recently added a chin tattoo.
Wilson realizes such markings are considered unconventional in today's society, but says they are rooted in a history older than Canada.
"They are not your average tattoo.They make people stop and stare," she said.
Wilson believes these ancient markings serve a purpose and has no regrets about getting them. Most times she forgets she has them because they are a part of her now,until she notices the stares or when someone stops her and asks about them.
Wilson saidthe tattoos are there to remind people of the old customs and rituals, which were deliberately erased through colonialism, so they shouldn't be feared.
"The way it was explained to me by different ceremonial people, it's almost like a protection that you wear different," she said.
Kat Worm, wholives inPunichy,north of Regina,had her own reasons for deciding to get a chin tattoo, and like Wilson, she felt like it was meant to be there.
She waited almost two decades before getting her tattoo last year. Initially, she wanted to get the tattoo after she graduated from university, but at that timeface tattoos were rare. Worm did some research, but said there was limited information available.
"I found out that some Cree women did have face tattoos and always below the chin," said Worm. "I was brought up on the reserve so I was raisedalways looking at my Indigenous side. So I started looking at my Celtic side and [found out]they would use face paint that also went below the chin."
Born to a Cree father and Irish mother, she embraces both bloodlines equally, so when she did get her tattoo, she wanted it to symbolize that identity and chose to get two parallel lines down her chin.
"Physical appearance is the first thing you notice about somebody, I've never been a big makeup person so I think I needed this type of statement for my own individuality," said Worm.
Although her family supported her decision, the reaction she receives from strangers varies. While many Indigenous women admire her tattoo, strangers in the small town where she lives are more apprehensive towardher now, she said.
Worm takes both reactions in stride because she knows face tattoos can carry a negative stigma for some people.
However, she believes this is not a trend and it will become more common among Indigenous women.
For TashaBeeds, the decision to get a traditional temple tattoo is complex because ofwhat it symbolizes for her.
Beeds is a university professor at two Ontario institutions the University of Sudbury and the University of Windsor college of law.Sheis also a water walker.She takes both roles seriously, and they are interwoven in her decision to get a face tattoo.
Water walkers, who are also known as water protectors, are a group of primarily Indigenous women who prayfor the health and preservation of water, embarking on walks to do that and celebrate the resource.
Prior to a walk a round Lake Superior in 2017, Beedshad a dream of impending doom. Although frightened, Beeds said, the water spirit she heard in her dream told her she would be helped. "In my dream, she gave me a marking."
Once the walkers crossed the Canada-U.S., border Beeds fell severely ill and sought medical attention.After a series oftests at hospital in Baraja, Mich.,doctors discovered a tumour in the middle of her chest.
Although she was both shocked and worried, she remembered her dream. Against thedoctors'advice to go home and seek treatment, she continued the walk.
While on the walk,Beedsand the otherwomen were joined by Indigenous artists ChristiBelcourtand IsaacMurdock.
"They were just starting to do the ceremonial tattoos and Isaac was going to have one done and I said, 'I want one, too, and I shared with them my dream.' "
BelcourtandMurdockimmediately agreed to do the tattoo.
Although it was a painful experience, Beedssaid sheknows it was meant to be.
Today, she said,her face tattoos spark curious questions from students and she uses those conversations to educate others about the importance of protecting the water.
Fayant has also recently added a temple tattoo and like other women with facial markings, she believes they are powerful because they provide a connection to the past.
- 5 Best Tattoo Artists in Houston - Kev's Best - February 19th, 2021
- Ink Evolution - Flathead Beacon - February 19th, 2021
- It doesnt get easier with time: Smiths continue to move forward while honoring loved ones - Fox17 - February 19th, 2021
- Arteta refuses to confirm whether Aubameyang broke rules by getting tattoo - BT Sport - February 19th, 2021
- Irish tattoo artist recalls the day Britney Spears came to Bray - Newstalk - February 19th, 2021
- Did you know entrepreneur Naman Arora is a top-notch tattoo artist? Read to know more about the creative genius! - News Track English - February 19th, 2021
- 3 Men Shared the Stories Behind the Epic Tattoos They Got to Cover Their Scars - menshealth.com - February 19th, 2021
- Want to get a finger tattoo? Here's what to keep in mind before taking the plunge - VOGUE India - February 17th, 2021
- Arsenal investigate Aubameyang over reported COVID-19 tattoo breach - ESPN - February 17th, 2021
- Tributes paid in memory of talented Blood Rush tattoo artist - Leighton Buzzard Observer - February 17th, 2021
- Artist and Influencer Mikey B Made It is legally trappin art from the hood to Hollywood - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 17th, 2021
- Charlie Cartwright: The Godfather of Black-and-Grey Fine Line Tattooing - Scene 360 - February 17th, 2021
- Exploring the process of becoming a tattoo artist - Argonaut - February 14th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Share the Tattoo Ideas So Bad They Actually Refused to Do Them - menshealth.com - February 14th, 2021
- Tattoo artists reveal the one inking theyve been asked to do but had to refuse - Daily Star - February 11th, 2021
- Show what you love: Manchester resident Lizzie Wright in the running to be Inked magazines next cover girl - Baltimore Sun - February 11th, 2021
- Tattoo artists reveal the one tattoo they have had to refuse to do - Buzz.ie - February 11th, 2021
- These Tattoo Artists Shared the Worst Mistakes Theyve Ever Made - menshealth.com - February 11th, 2021
- Feel the Bern: Warm up with the top 10 Bernie Sanders memes The Rocky Mountain Collegian - Rocky Mountain Collegian - February 11th, 2021
- Tattoo artists reveal their worst mistakes ever and how the clients reacted - Daily Star - February 11th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They Love Doing the Most - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 10th, 2021
- Halsey Doesn't Want To Go 'Overboard' On Pregnancy Cravings - OK! - February 10th, 2021
- Becky G Just Got 2 New Tattoos in One Day, and I Thought I Had a High Pain Threshold - POPSUGAR - February 10th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Best Tattoos They'll Never Get Tired of Doing - menshealth.com - February 10th, 2021
- Nine things tattoo artists hate clients doing when they get inked - Daily Star - February 10th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They're Most Sick of Seeing - menshealth.com - February 7th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Irish Sun - February 7th, 2021
- 'Basic' tattoos artists secretly hate doing - and the ones they'll refuse to give - Cambridgeshire Live - February 6th, 2021
- With Pastel Devil Studio, these artists are reimagining today's tattoo parlor - St. Louis Magazine - February 6th, 2021
- Marijuana law reform in Japan contingent on the message - The Japan Times - February 6th, 2021
- Bricks placed in Southern Indiana remember those who have died from drug overdose - WHAS11.com - February 6th, 2021
- Vans Tapped 4 Artists to Design Shoes For Black History Month, and We Talked to Them All - POPSUGAR - February 6th, 2021
- 20 Interesting Facts About the South Korean Boy Band BTS - Music in Minnesota - Music in Minnesota - February 6th, 2021
- 10 Celebs Who Have Face Tattoos | TheThings - TheThings - February 6th, 2021
- Walter Suza: A city along the Mississippi seeks to defeat hate - Ames Tribune - February 6th, 2021
- If Norman Rockwell were alive today: North Jersey photo exhibit updates iconic artists works - NJ.com - February 4th, 2021
- Jhene Aiko & 9 Other Celebs Who Got Huge Portraits Of Their Partners Tattooed On Them - TheThings - February 4th, 2021
- Columbus rappers and engineers embrace work from home with new DIY spaces - Columbus Alive - February 4th, 2021
- Chris Evans Has Way More Tattoos Than You Think - menshealth.com - February 4th, 2021
- The sweet side of a sour pandemic - IU Southeast Horizon - February 4th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Sun - February 4th, 2021
- No one said folding clothes was easy, but this folding board makes it quick - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 4th, 2021
- Bedford Has a Year-Round All-Horror Shop - Dallas Observer - February 4th, 2021
- 'Basic' tattoos artists secretly hate doing - and the ones they'll refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 4th, 2021
- One Arm Willie makes his mark on the local tattoo industry - Mountain Xpress - February 4th, 2021
- How to plan your tattoo - Nation Online - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - February 4th, 2021
- The most basic tattoos artists secretly hate as they reveal the one inking they will NEVER do - The Sun - February 2nd, 2021
- Six tattoos artists secretly hate doing and the one inking they refuse to do - Daily Star - February 2nd, 2021
- 90 Day Fianc Recap: They Really Titled This Episode The No Bang Theory - Vulture - February 2nd, 2021
- Brett Young Honors His Children By Getting Tattoos Of Their Heartbeats By Bubba Irwin - Music Mayhem Magazine - February 2nd, 2021
- Rye grads put a spotlight on Toronto's diverse artists with How T.O. Art - The Eyeopener - February 2nd, 2021
- Cara Delevingne & Other Models Who Made It In The Industry With Visible Tattoos - TheThings - February 2nd, 2021
- Heres What Halseys Mysterious Matching Seeds Tattoo With Her Boyfriend Alev Means - Cosmopolitan - February 2nd, 2021
- Denver tattoo artist goes viral for her take on the wildly popular Bernie Sanders meme - The Denver Channel - January 31st, 2021
- For the love of Ink - Daily Pioneer - January 31st, 2021
- Michigan family mourns death of son they say was pushed to the breaking point by stop in high school sports - MLive.com - January 31st, 2021
- Style 'The Bernie Meme' Is Forever Immortalized on a Denver Man's Body - ourcommunitynow.com - January 31st, 2021
- Halsey and Alev Aydin Have Matching Tattoos and the Meaning Behind Them Will Make You Melt - Seventeen.com - January 31st, 2021
- Someone in Toronto started an Instagram account sharing the stories behind people's tattoos - blogTO - January 31st, 2021
- For artist Tim Eakin, each tattoo has 'got to be the best thing ever' - Canton Repository - January 30th, 2021
- Pattaya tattoo artists have only red ink - Pattaya Mail - January 30th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Talked About Their Mistakes and Now We'll Think Twice Before Getting a Tattoo - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - January 30th, 2021
- Arrow Brings The El Duce Tapes & Shogun's Joy Of Torture In February - Inside Pulse - January 30th, 2021
- Kim Jones, roller derby and haute couture debuts: whats in fashion? - i-D - January 30th, 2021
- Can You Wear Floral on Your Buzz Cut? - The New York Times - January 27th, 2021
- #Balancetontatoueur: one of the accused tattooists files a complaint against the Instagram account which wanted to break the omerta - Inspired... - January 27th, 2021
- Is The King of Staten Island based on a true story? Which parts have been fictionalised? - Republic World - January 27th, 2021
- Integrity Ink Provides Fast, Effective, and Affordable Full-Spectrum Laser Tattoo Removal in Crosby, TX with the Astanza Trinity Laser - GlobeNewswire - January 27th, 2021
- New Year New Me LifeChanging Scalp Micropigmentation For Men and Women - Pro News Report - January 27th, 2021
- Missing and Murdered in the Midwest Crime Chat: Hello 2021 & Bloody Good Book Club - WQAD.com - January 25th, 2021
- Ireland Baldwin Tugs Down Her Pants To Show Off Her Lace Panties, Butt, And Tattoo - The Inquisitr - January 25th, 2021
- Socceroo Jackson Irvine explains his viral Simpsons tattoo that won over a writer from the show - Sporting News AU - January 24th, 2021
- From Grassroots To Grand Circuit Glory - Standardbred Canada - January 24th, 2021
- Tattoo artist Les Bowen reflects on 61 years inking bodies and change from underground to art form - ABC News - January 22nd, 2021
- Sherbrooke-based tattoo artists ready to get back to the studio - Sherbrooke Record - January 22nd, 2021
- The Dangerous Risks of Eye Tattoos, According to Body Modification Artist Who Invented Them - Yahoo Lifestyle - January 22nd, 2021
- Denver Tattoo Shop Owner Finally Gets Some Attention From the City - Westword - January 22nd, 2021
- Travis Ross makes another visit to Accelerated Charter High School - YourCentralValley.com - January 22nd, 2021
- Remington Tattoo Parlor and Gallery Claims To Be The Best Option For Those Searching Online For "Female Tattoo Artists Near Me" In San Diego... - January 20th, 2021
- Getting inked is becoming more acceptable - The Signal - The Signal - January 20th, 2021