It's been a long few months since our last episode! Here's what our host has been up to and what you should check out until the next episode.
Hello! It feels like its been a lifetime since Ive been able to sit down and talk to you. So lets start with why my absence has been so long.
If you already know, this is not my full time job. My full job is being the executive producer for Good Morning Quad Cities here on News 8. In the midst of the pandemic, starting around the summer time, things were busy busier than ever before. It was hard to pull myself off to the side to do anything really related to this.
I tried, I would sometimes get this burst of energy and I would file reports with police, and dip my toe in investigating cases. I would write here or there but all of it never felt like it was enough. Because if youve listened to other crime podcasts they have SCORES of people who are helping out their hosts.
They have writers, fact checkers, co-hosts, editors and so much more and I dont really have that. I have some help but a lot of this is done by me and me alone. So I never felt like what I was doing was strong enough, or informative enough and then I would have to take a back seat on the podcast because of the pandemic once more.
Luckily now, I have my own microphone and little set up at home here. A lot of the work I do for this is in my own free time so hopefully as we move through this year I will be able to do this more. Thats my hope at least. And if you ever hear a dog in the background, or a cat or husband in any of my episodes, Im sorry in advance!
But above all, thank you all for listening in throughout this past year. I was truly shocked to see that people were STILL listening, despite not having new content dropping every other week.
My plan now is to write up a what you missed episode for some of those cases Ive covered in the past. And I got a lot of new episodes coming soon that Im actively working on. Some new and developing cases, some old and almost forgotten ones.
And before I sign off, I wanted to bring back the Bloody Good Book Club! There have been just some amazing crime books and documentaries and docu-series over the last year that I just wanted to highlight a few!
This docu-series is about Sean Ellis being wrongfully convicted in the death of a Boston cop. Very compelling, especially since this was around the time where there were a lot of seedy cops within that department. His defense attorney later on, shes a powerhouse of a woman. Strong and stern in her conviction to help those in need. I was impressed by her own investigation skills and of course the strength Sean had during the 23 years he was in prison.
"The Confession Killer"
A great look back on Henry Lee Lucas. The news coverage that the documentarians pulled is outstanding. I love how for the longest time a lot of people were convinced he was this horrific killer but at the end of the day theres no way he could have committed all of those crimes. I believe hes a narcissist, and he is a killer but not to the extent of which he played.
Another absolutely fantastic piece that just came out in December. This all happened in the UK, the Yorkshire Ripper. I think it really helps tell a story about how women are looked at, especially when they are vulnerable and the victim of a horrendous crime. I think the preconceived notion that this clean cut guy couldnt have been him, even though the cops talk to him nine times at one point was extremely tragic and that ultimately led to more women dying as a result.
This latest docu-series is all about California killer Richard Ramirez. Extremely well done, the footage is brutal. But what I found shocking online is some people are saying its too gruesome. Listen, when it comes to all the Ted Bundy docs that have come out, they sugar coated what that man did. At least with the Night Stalker, they laid out that this man was a monster, true to its word. I will say we heard glimmers of audio from Richard himself and I would have loved to hear more from that than the cops themselves. As compelling as they were.
Some honorable mentions for Netflix:
"American Murder: The Family next door""Jeffrey Epstein: Filthy Rich""How to fix a drug scandal""Fear city New York vs. the mafia""The Pharmacist""Murder to Mercy: the Cyntoia Brown story"
The streaming site doesn't have a lot of gems right now, BUT if you check out ABCs 20/20 they have some great episodes. One of the latest about the Dating Game Killer. Truly a horrific story that even I didnt know about until my tattoo artist told me about him.
The streaming site is a stretch for some but theyve had some great stuff coming out. So if youre in a binging mood and want to just try the trial I would recommend a few things to watch that you can totally get through in a day. And its not just crime its also cults.
"Heavens Gate, the Cult of Cults"
When I tell you this story is so unbelievable, especially hearing from survivors WHO STILL BELIEVE IN WHAT WAS PREACHED, shook. If you dont know they pretty much believe aliens will save them and bring them to heaven. Its insane but its so fascinating. The mindset of it all is just amazing.
All about the NXIVM cult is a great great one about how Keith Reinere really was all about helping people at first with his inner group and then just slowly began to make it about men dominating women, sex, then BRANDING PEOPLE. His closest allies would FINALLY realize something is wrong after decades of being by his side and leave. Its a stunner Ill leave it at that.
With cults you have to have a cult following. This docu-series about an insane investigation into that old Monopoly McDonalds game and how one man tried to rig it and racked up millions of dollars. It leads to others within his family cashing in as well then other people who didnt think twice about it going sideways. Its bonkers.
Some other great mentions:
"Murder on Middle Beach""Crazy, not Insane" (but you really have to like psychology to get into it)"The mystery of D.B. Cooper"
"Dear Zachary "
Probably the saddest documentary. I watched it a few years ago but its about a man highlighting his friends life for that mans son, talking to all the people they knew and how this kids mom and dad fell in love and how his mom would later kill his dad. Its messed up and Im not lying when I say I wept to that.
"Theres something wrong with Aunt Diane"
A suspenseful documentary about how this woman killed her 3 kids and their 2 cousins by essentially crashing their car on a busy highway. The family still has no clue how it could have happened when she was fine a few hours prior after spending the weekend up at this lake house they had. It was good but obviously with no answers youd have to watch and see if you like it.
Sort of about Sue Klebold, the mother of Dylan Klebold who was one of the shooters at Columbine. It actually is pretty close to her book she wrote a few years back that was very well done called "A Mothers Reckoning". Just her working through coping with her son being one of the most prolific school shooters in history and how it could have happened.
And going into books, because I mean I am calling this the bloody good book club for a reason.
"A Father's Story"
Similar to Sue Klebolds but this was written two decades prior by the father of Jeffrey Dahmer. He published it in 1994 right after his son was sentenced, so a lot of people thought he was trying to profit off the tragedies. Its fascinating to see how hard his dad worked to try to save his son: its obvious from a young age that Jeff just struggled and he didnt want that for him. Tried to find him jobs, got him into the army, places to live, the whole works and then to be thrown off guard by what he did to his victims. Its a hard read but a good one.
"An appointment with Dr. Kavorkian"
A man on a mission Ill tell you what: this Armenian man, wanting to help people suffering from terminal illness by assisting them in suicide. It seems like a noble cause but as you read into this, man hes NUTS. This is the early 90s. At first I was like why do people hate him so much... because he would get thrown injunctions, cease and desists, and even threatened with hard prison time. Yet, hed come up with more people to help die and then spew some crazy stuff about organ donation with prisoners! It's a page turner.
"Hidden Valley Road"
This is not a crime book, but its very well done and really dives into schizophrenia and how back in the 60s and 70s some of the theories as to why it happens. This book centers around the family that really helped crack open the genetics and misconceptions of the disease. This couple had 12 kids, 10 boys and 2 girls and 6 of the boys would end up having some spectrum of the disease. There is some crime that happens in the book but its a very fascinating look at the nature vs. nurture complex and how so much has changed in the psychology world.
I hope you check those out until the next episode, where we are covering every aspect that we know about the disappearance of 11-year-old Breasia Terrell from Davenport, IA. Still a very active case happening, so you wont want to miss it.
Read this article:
- 5 Best Tattoo Artists in Houston - Kev's Best - February 19th, 2021
- Ink Evolution - Flathead Beacon - February 19th, 2021
- It doesnt get easier with time: Smiths continue to move forward while honoring loved ones - Fox17 - February 19th, 2021
- Arteta refuses to confirm whether Aubameyang broke rules by getting tattoo - BT Sport - February 19th, 2021
- Irish tattoo artist recalls the day Britney Spears came to Bray - Newstalk - February 19th, 2021
- Did you know entrepreneur Naman Arora is a top-notch tattoo artist? Read to know more about the creative genius! - News Track English - February 19th, 2021
- 3 Men Shared the Stories Behind the Epic Tattoos They Got to Cover Their Scars - menshealth.com - February 19th, 2021
- Want to get a finger tattoo? Here's what to keep in mind before taking the plunge - VOGUE India - February 17th, 2021
- Arsenal investigate Aubameyang over reported COVID-19 tattoo breach - ESPN - February 17th, 2021
- Tributes paid in memory of talented Blood Rush tattoo artist - Leighton Buzzard Observer - February 17th, 2021
- Artist and Influencer Mikey B Made It is legally trappin art from the hood to Hollywood - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 17th, 2021
- Charlie Cartwright: The Godfather of Black-and-Grey Fine Line Tattooing - Scene 360 - February 17th, 2021
- Exploring the process of becoming a tattoo artist - Argonaut - February 14th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Share the Tattoo Ideas So Bad They Actually Refused to Do Them - menshealth.com - February 14th, 2021
- Tattoo artists reveal the one inking theyve been asked to do but had to refuse - Daily Star - February 11th, 2021
- Show what you love: Manchester resident Lizzie Wright in the running to be Inked magazines next cover girl - Baltimore Sun - February 11th, 2021
- Tattoo artists reveal the one tattoo they have had to refuse to do - Buzz.ie - February 11th, 2021
- These Tattoo Artists Shared the Worst Mistakes Theyve Ever Made - menshealth.com - February 11th, 2021
- Feel the Bern: Warm up with the top 10 Bernie Sanders memes The Rocky Mountain Collegian - Rocky Mountain Collegian - February 11th, 2021
- Tattoo artists reveal their worst mistakes ever and how the clients reacted - Daily Star - February 11th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They Love Doing the Most - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 10th, 2021
- Halsey Doesn't Want To Go 'Overboard' On Pregnancy Cravings - OK! - February 10th, 2021
- Becky G Just Got 2 New Tattoos in One Day, and I Thought I Had a High Pain Threshold - POPSUGAR - February 10th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Best Tattoos They'll Never Get Tired of Doing - menshealth.com - February 10th, 2021
- Nine things tattoo artists hate clients doing when they get inked - Daily Star - February 10th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They're Most Sick of Seeing - menshealth.com - February 7th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Irish Sun - February 7th, 2021
- 'Basic' tattoos artists secretly hate doing - and the ones they'll refuse to give - Cambridgeshire Live - February 6th, 2021
- With Pastel Devil Studio, these artists are reimagining today's tattoo parlor - St. Louis Magazine - February 6th, 2021
- Marijuana law reform in Japan contingent on the message - The Japan Times - February 6th, 2021
- Bricks placed in Southern Indiana remember those who have died from drug overdose - WHAS11.com - February 6th, 2021
- Vans Tapped 4 Artists to Design Shoes For Black History Month, and We Talked to Them All - POPSUGAR - February 6th, 2021
- 20 Interesting Facts About the South Korean Boy Band BTS - Music in Minnesota - Music in Minnesota - February 6th, 2021
- 10 Celebs Who Have Face Tattoos | TheThings - TheThings - February 6th, 2021
- Walter Suza: A city along the Mississippi seeks to defeat hate - Ames Tribune - February 6th, 2021
- If Norman Rockwell were alive today: North Jersey photo exhibit updates iconic artists works - NJ.com - February 4th, 2021
- Jhene Aiko & 9 Other Celebs Who Got Huge Portraits Of Their Partners Tattooed On Them - TheThings - February 4th, 2021
- Columbus rappers and engineers embrace work from home with new DIY spaces - Columbus Alive - February 4th, 2021
- Chris Evans Has Way More Tattoos Than You Think - menshealth.com - February 4th, 2021
- The sweet side of a sour pandemic - IU Southeast Horizon - February 4th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Sun - February 4th, 2021
- No one said folding clothes was easy, but this folding board makes it quick - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 4th, 2021
- Bedford Has a Year-Round All-Horror Shop - Dallas Observer - February 4th, 2021
- 'Basic' tattoos artists secretly hate doing - and the ones they'll refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 4th, 2021
- One Arm Willie makes his mark on the local tattoo industry - Mountain Xpress - February 4th, 2021
- How to plan your tattoo - Nation Online - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - February 4th, 2021
- The most basic tattoos artists secretly hate as they reveal the one inking they will NEVER do - The Sun - February 2nd, 2021
- Six tattoos artists secretly hate doing and the one inking they refuse to do - Daily Star - February 2nd, 2021
- 90 Day Fianc Recap: They Really Titled This Episode The No Bang Theory - Vulture - February 2nd, 2021
- Brett Young Honors His Children By Getting Tattoos Of Their Heartbeats By Bubba Irwin - Music Mayhem Magazine - February 2nd, 2021
- Rye grads put a spotlight on Toronto's diverse artists with How T.O. Art - The Eyeopener - February 2nd, 2021
- Cara Delevingne & Other Models Who Made It In The Industry With Visible Tattoos - TheThings - February 2nd, 2021
- Heres What Halseys Mysterious Matching Seeds Tattoo With Her Boyfriend Alev Means - Cosmopolitan - February 2nd, 2021
- Denver tattoo artist goes viral for her take on the wildly popular Bernie Sanders meme - The Denver Channel - January 31st, 2021
- For the love of Ink - Daily Pioneer - January 31st, 2021
- Michigan family mourns death of son they say was pushed to the breaking point by stop in high school sports - MLive.com - January 31st, 2021
- Style 'The Bernie Meme' Is Forever Immortalized on a Denver Man's Body - ourcommunitynow.com - January 31st, 2021
- Halsey and Alev Aydin Have Matching Tattoos and the Meaning Behind Them Will Make You Melt - Seventeen.com - January 31st, 2021
- Someone in Toronto started an Instagram account sharing the stories behind people's tattoos - blogTO - January 31st, 2021
- For artist Tim Eakin, each tattoo has 'got to be the best thing ever' - Canton Repository - January 30th, 2021
- Pattaya tattoo artists have only red ink - Pattaya Mail - January 30th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Talked About Their Mistakes and Now We'll Think Twice Before Getting a Tattoo - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - January 30th, 2021
- Arrow Brings The El Duce Tapes & Shogun's Joy Of Torture In February - Inside Pulse - January 30th, 2021
- Kim Jones, roller derby and haute couture debuts: whats in fashion? - i-D - January 30th, 2021
- Can You Wear Floral on Your Buzz Cut? - The New York Times - January 27th, 2021
- #Balancetontatoueur: one of the accused tattooists files a complaint against the Instagram account which wanted to break the omerta - Inspired... - January 27th, 2021
- Is The King of Staten Island based on a true story? Which parts have been fictionalised? - Republic World - January 27th, 2021
- Integrity Ink Provides Fast, Effective, and Affordable Full-Spectrum Laser Tattoo Removal in Crosby, TX with the Astanza Trinity Laser - GlobeNewswire - January 27th, 2021
- New Year New Me LifeChanging Scalp Micropigmentation For Men and Women - Pro News Report - January 27th, 2021
- Ireland Baldwin Tugs Down Her Pants To Show Off Her Lace Panties, Butt, And Tattoo - The Inquisitr - January 25th, 2021
- Socceroo Jackson Irvine explains his viral Simpsons tattoo that won over a writer from the show - Sporting News AU - January 24th, 2021
- From Grassroots To Grand Circuit Glory - Standardbred Canada - January 24th, 2021
- Face tattoos give Indigenous woman a chance to reclaim traditional form of self-expression - CBC.ca - January 24th, 2021
- Tattoo artist Les Bowen reflects on 61 years inking bodies and change from underground to art form - ABC News - January 22nd, 2021
- Sherbrooke-based tattoo artists ready to get back to the studio - Sherbrooke Record - January 22nd, 2021
- The Dangerous Risks of Eye Tattoos, According to Body Modification Artist Who Invented Them - Yahoo Lifestyle - January 22nd, 2021
- Denver Tattoo Shop Owner Finally Gets Some Attention From the City - Westword - January 22nd, 2021
- Travis Ross makes another visit to Accelerated Charter High School - YourCentralValley.com - January 22nd, 2021
- Remington Tattoo Parlor and Gallery Claims To Be The Best Option For Those Searching Online For "Female Tattoo Artists Near Me" In San Diego... - January 20th, 2021
- Getting inked is becoming more acceptable - The Signal - The Signal - January 20th, 2021