Reading Time: 4 minutes
By Ruby Asgedome
In August 2019, Taelor Lewis-Joseph posted in a Facebook group for film directors telling them about her idea: to create a narrative series about intersectionality and diversity in Toronto. The call-out led to Lewis-Joseph meeting her co-director, Amanda Ann-Min Wong, who voiced interest in the project.
While the original idea fell through, Lewis-Joseph, who is in her last year of Ryersons professional communications program, and Wong, who graduated from the School of Image Arts in 2016, eventually reconnected to create How T.O. Art, a docu-webseries showcasing the talents of four Toronto artists.
The show is hosted by actress Naja Stanford, who spends each day with a Toronto-based artist and takes a deep dive into their art form and lifestyle. Throughout the day, Stanford follows the artist, engaging in discussions about their personal lives while exploring and highlighting different parts of Toronto.
The show took months for Lewis-Joseph and Wong to finalizethey had to brainstorm and develop the idea, host interviews for artists and crew members, and secure grants to fund the project.
Their first step was to find local artists who were interested in being part of the show. We already knew what we were looking for; we knew that we wanted women or non-binary folks. They also had to either be second or first-generation and from the GTA, said Wong. Their goal was to encourage diversity and showcase Black, Indigenous and racialized artists who often face more barriers breaking into creative industries.
They focused the series on people who didnt necessarily have the privilege to pursue their art full-time or faced adversity in their full-time artistry. I think whats really cool about the stories that we showed in [the show], is that everyone has something else going on too, said Lewis-Joseph.
The directors received an influx of artists interested in showcasing their talents. We held so many interviews, back to back, said Wong. Although the overwhelming amount of interest was deeply appreciated, they knew their vision was to focus on women and non-binary people, and, unfortunately, had to turn some people down. By September 2020, Lewis-Joseph and Wong filmed a drag artist, dancer, singer and tattoo artist, creating four 15-minute episodes.
For Flora Tang, an urban development coordinator by day and drag performer by night, said How T.O. Art allowed them to grow not as an artist but just as a person. For the longest time, she had wanted to cut her hair, but was afraid of being visibly queer. After they saw Alex Tse, the director of photography, with their hair cut short, they decided to frickin do it as well, they said.
All the connections that Ive made through the series have been really important to me, said Julia Saint-Amour, a tattoo artist who was featured in the show. In the series, theres just so much love.
Were all like one big Rye family; its Rye High all over again
In her episode, Saint-Amour opens up about her relationship with her family and art. She had to quit her first job and apprenticeship early in her career to be with her parents, who were both diagnosed with cancer.
Saint-Amour is now a tattoo and digital artist working in Toronto, and said she sees her art as an escape from her past traumas and hopes that her designs provide meaning and comfort for others as well. When I started tattooing, the fact that I could help people through that, it blew my mind, said Saint-Amour in her episode. Sometimes people can see a lot deeper into my art, and I usually have that escapism.
Her work combines retro themes, like the Tamagotchi, with a gory twist, and loves when her clients can relate to it. When someone else is like, Hey I connected with that when I was younger as well, Theres this weird instant bond with someone youve never met and then you meet up and then youre just going to do the art on their body, said Saint-Amour.
The teams ability to build a family and a bond with one another was one of the greatest successes that came from the series, said Wong. After all, many crew members already knew each other from Ryerson, having attended the university at some point in their lives. Were all like one big Rye family; its Rye High all over again, said Wong.
Filmed during the pandemic, Lewis-Joseph and Wong made sure to get everyone involved in the series tested to ensure their safety and comfort. They said they were grateful for the artists and team for being able to put together the project in spite of COVID-19.
The crew and everyone was just so amazing that the whole behind-the-scenes experience was honestly incredible, said Stanford.
The series premiered on Jan. 22 over Zoom, with an overflowing chat box of eager viewers who congratulated both Lewis-Joseph and Wong, as well as the artists.
We had upwards of 120 people show up, not including us, who were already on the call, said Lewis-Joseph. We were expecting 50. Fifty people wouldve been enough for us, she added.
Episode four was played at the event to give viewers a look into what they could expect from the series.
Both Lewis-Joseph and Wong hope, if granted the funding, they will be able to create more episodes in the series.
This web series isnt just like a web series, its more of a community and a collective, and wanting to support local, said Lewis-Joseph.
The full series was released on Jan. 29.
See more here:
- 5 Best Tattoo Artists in Houston - Kev's Best - February 19th, 2021
- Ink Evolution - Flathead Beacon - February 19th, 2021
- It doesnt get easier with time: Smiths continue to move forward while honoring loved ones - Fox17 - February 19th, 2021
- Arteta refuses to confirm whether Aubameyang broke rules by getting tattoo - BT Sport - February 19th, 2021
- Irish tattoo artist recalls the day Britney Spears came to Bray - Newstalk - February 19th, 2021
- Did you know entrepreneur Naman Arora is a top-notch tattoo artist? Read to know more about the creative genius! - News Track English - February 19th, 2021
- 3 Men Shared the Stories Behind the Epic Tattoos They Got to Cover Their Scars - menshealth.com - February 19th, 2021
- Want to get a finger tattoo? Here's what to keep in mind before taking the plunge - VOGUE India - February 17th, 2021
- Arsenal investigate Aubameyang over reported COVID-19 tattoo breach - ESPN - February 17th, 2021
- Tributes paid in memory of talented Blood Rush tattoo artist - Leighton Buzzard Observer - February 17th, 2021
- Artist and Influencer Mikey B Made It is legally trappin art from the hood to Hollywood - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 17th, 2021
- Charlie Cartwright: The Godfather of Black-and-Grey Fine Line Tattooing - Scene 360 - February 17th, 2021
- Exploring the process of becoming a tattoo artist - Argonaut - February 14th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Share the Tattoo Ideas So Bad They Actually Refused to Do Them - menshealth.com - February 14th, 2021
- Tattoo artists reveal the one inking theyve been asked to do but had to refuse - Daily Star - February 11th, 2021
- Show what you love: Manchester resident Lizzie Wright in the running to be Inked magazines next cover girl - Baltimore Sun - February 11th, 2021
- Tattoo artists reveal the one tattoo they have had to refuse to do - Buzz.ie - February 11th, 2021
- These Tattoo Artists Shared the Worst Mistakes Theyve Ever Made - menshealth.com - February 11th, 2021
- Feel the Bern: Warm up with the top 10 Bernie Sanders memes The Rocky Mountain Collegian - Rocky Mountain Collegian - February 11th, 2021
- Tattoo artists reveal their worst mistakes ever and how the clients reacted - Daily Star - February 11th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They Love Doing the Most - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 10th, 2021
- Halsey Doesn't Want To Go 'Overboard' On Pregnancy Cravings - OK! - February 10th, 2021
- Becky G Just Got 2 New Tattoos in One Day, and I Thought I Had a High Pain Threshold - POPSUGAR - February 10th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Best Tattoos They'll Never Get Tired of Doing - menshealth.com - February 10th, 2021
- Nine things tattoo artists hate clients doing when they get inked - Daily Star - February 10th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They're Most Sick of Seeing - menshealth.com - February 7th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Irish Sun - February 7th, 2021
- 'Basic' tattoos artists secretly hate doing - and the ones they'll refuse to give - Cambridgeshire Live - February 6th, 2021
- With Pastel Devil Studio, these artists are reimagining today's tattoo parlor - St. Louis Magazine - February 6th, 2021
- Marijuana law reform in Japan contingent on the message - The Japan Times - February 6th, 2021
- Bricks placed in Southern Indiana remember those who have died from drug overdose - WHAS11.com - February 6th, 2021
- Vans Tapped 4 Artists to Design Shoes For Black History Month, and We Talked to Them All - POPSUGAR - February 6th, 2021
- 20 Interesting Facts About the South Korean Boy Band BTS - Music in Minnesota - Music in Minnesota - February 6th, 2021
- 10 Celebs Who Have Face Tattoos | TheThings - TheThings - February 6th, 2021
- Walter Suza: A city along the Mississippi seeks to defeat hate - Ames Tribune - February 6th, 2021
- If Norman Rockwell were alive today: North Jersey photo exhibit updates iconic artists works - NJ.com - February 4th, 2021
- Jhene Aiko & 9 Other Celebs Who Got Huge Portraits Of Their Partners Tattooed On Them - TheThings - February 4th, 2021
- Columbus rappers and engineers embrace work from home with new DIY spaces - Columbus Alive - February 4th, 2021
- Chris Evans Has Way More Tattoos Than You Think - menshealth.com - February 4th, 2021
- The sweet side of a sour pandemic - IU Southeast Horizon - February 4th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Sun - February 4th, 2021
- No one said folding clothes was easy, but this folding board makes it quick - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 4th, 2021
- Bedford Has a Year-Round All-Horror Shop - Dallas Observer - February 4th, 2021
- 'Basic' tattoos artists secretly hate doing - and the ones they'll refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 4th, 2021
- One Arm Willie makes his mark on the local tattoo industry - Mountain Xpress - February 4th, 2021
- How to plan your tattoo - Nation Online - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - February 4th, 2021
- The most basic tattoos artists secretly hate as they reveal the one inking they will NEVER do - The Sun - February 2nd, 2021
- Six tattoos artists secretly hate doing and the one inking they refuse to do - Daily Star - February 2nd, 2021
- 90 Day Fianc Recap: They Really Titled This Episode The No Bang Theory - Vulture - February 2nd, 2021
- Brett Young Honors His Children By Getting Tattoos Of Their Heartbeats By Bubba Irwin - Music Mayhem Magazine - February 2nd, 2021
- Cara Delevingne & Other Models Who Made It In The Industry With Visible Tattoos - TheThings - February 2nd, 2021
- Heres What Halseys Mysterious Matching Seeds Tattoo With Her Boyfriend Alev Means - Cosmopolitan - February 2nd, 2021
- Denver tattoo artist goes viral for her take on the wildly popular Bernie Sanders meme - The Denver Channel - January 31st, 2021
- For the love of Ink - Daily Pioneer - January 31st, 2021
- Michigan family mourns death of son they say was pushed to the breaking point by stop in high school sports - MLive.com - January 31st, 2021
- Style 'The Bernie Meme' Is Forever Immortalized on a Denver Man's Body - ourcommunitynow.com - January 31st, 2021
- Halsey and Alev Aydin Have Matching Tattoos and the Meaning Behind Them Will Make You Melt - Seventeen.com - January 31st, 2021
- Someone in Toronto started an Instagram account sharing the stories behind people's tattoos - blogTO - January 31st, 2021
- For artist Tim Eakin, each tattoo has 'got to be the best thing ever' - Canton Repository - January 30th, 2021
- Pattaya tattoo artists have only red ink - Pattaya Mail - January 30th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Talked About Their Mistakes and Now We'll Think Twice Before Getting a Tattoo - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - January 30th, 2021
- Arrow Brings The El Duce Tapes & Shogun's Joy Of Torture In February - Inside Pulse - January 30th, 2021
- Kim Jones, roller derby and haute couture debuts: whats in fashion? - i-D - January 30th, 2021
- Can You Wear Floral on Your Buzz Cut? - The New York Times - January 27th, 2021
- #Balancetontatoueur: one of the accused tattooists files a complaint against the Instagram account which wanted to break the omerta - Inspired... - January 27th, 2021
- Is The King of Staten Island based on a true story? Which parts have been fictionalised? - Republic World - January 27th, 2021
- Integrity Ink Provides Fast, Effective, and Affordable Full-Spectrum Laser Tattoo Removal in Crosby, TX with the Astanza Trinity Laser - GlobeNewswire - January 27th, 2021
- New Year New Me LifeChanging Scalp Micropigmentation For Men and Women - Pro News Report - January 27th, 2021
- Missing and Murdered in the Midwest Crime Chat: Hello 2021 & Bloody Good Book Club - WQAD.com - January 25th, 2021
- Ireland Baldwin Tugs Down Her Pants To Show Off Her Lace Panties, Butt, And Tattoo - The Inquisitr - January 25th, 2021
- Socceroo Jackson Irvine explains his viral Simpsons tattoo that won over a writer from the show - Sporting News AU - January 24th, 2021
- From Grassroots To Grand Circuit Glory - Standardbred Canada - January 24th, 2021
- Face tattoos give Indigenous woman a chance to reclaim traditional form of self-expression - CBC.ca - January 24th, 2021
- Tattoo artist Les Bowen reflects on 61 years inking bodies and change from underground to art form - ABC News - January 22nd, 2021
- Sherbrooke-based tattoo artists ready to get back to the studio - Sherbrooke Record - January 22nd, 2021
- The Dangerous Risks of Eye Tattoos, According to Body Modification Artist Who Invented Them - Yahoo Lifestyle - January 22nd, 2021
- Denver Tattoo Shop Owner Finally Gets Some Attention From the City - Westword - January 22nd, 2021
- Travis Ross makes another visit to Accelerated Charter High School - YourCentralValley.com - January 22nd, 2021
- Remington Tattoo Parlor and Gallery Claims To Be The Best Option For Those Searching Online For "Female Tattoo Artists Near Me" In San Diego... - January 20th, 2021
- Getting inked is becoming more acceptable - The Signal - The Signal - January 20th, 2021