Reading Time: 4 minutes
By Ruby Asgedome
In August 2019, Taelor Lewis-Joseph posted in a Facebook group for film directors telling them about her idea: to create a narrative series about intersectionality and diversity in Toronto. The call-out led to Lewis-Joseph meeting her co-director, Amanda Ann-Min Wong, who voiced interest in the project.
While the original idea fell through, Lewis-Joseph, who is in her last year of Ryersons professional communications program, and Wong, who graduated from the School of Image Arts in 2016, eventually reconnected to create How T.O. Art, a docu-webseries showcasing the talents of four Toronto artists.
The show is hosted by actress Naja Stanford, who spends each day with a Toronto-based artist and takes a deep dive into their art form and lifestyle. Throughout the day, Stanford follows the artist, engaging in discussions about their personal lives while exploring and highlighting different parts of Toronto.
The show took months for Lewis-Joseph and Wong to finalizethey had to brainstorm and develop the idea, host interviews for artists and crew members, and secure grants to fund the project.
Their first step was to find local artists who were interested in being part of the show. We already knew what we were looking for; we knew that we wanted women or non-binary folks. They also had to either be second or first-generation and from the GTA, said Wong. Their goal was to encourage diversity and showcase Black, Indigenous and racialized artists who often face more barriers breaking into creative industries.
They focused the series on people who didnt necessarily have the privilege to pursue their art full-time or faced adversity in their full-time artistry. I think whats really cool about the stories that we showed in [the show], is that everyone has something else going on too, said Lewis-Joseph.
The directors received an influx of artists interested in showcasing their talents. We held so many interviews, back to back, said Wong. Although the overwhelming amount of interest was deeply appreciated, they knew their vision was to focus on women and non-binary people, and, unfortunately, had to turn some people down. By September 2020, Lewis-Joseph and Wong filmed a drag artist, dancer, singer and tattoo artist, creating four 15-minute episodes.
For Flora Tang, an urban development coordinator by day and drag performer by night, said How T.O. Art allowed them to grow not as an artist but just as a person. For the longest time, she had wanted to cut her hair, but was afraid of being visibly queer. After they saw Alex Tse, the director of photography, with their hair cut short, they decided to frickin do it as well, they said.
All the connections that Ive made through the series have been really important to me, said Julia Saint-Amour, a tattoo artist who was featured in the show. In the series, theres just so much love.
Were all like one big Rye family; its Rye High all over again
In her episode, Saint-Amour opens up about her relationship with her family and art. She had to quit her first job and apprenticeship early in her career to be with her parents, who were both diagnosed with cancer.
Saint-Amour is now a tattoo and digital artist working in Toronto, and said she sees her art as an escape from her past traumas and hopes that her designs provide meaning and comfort for others as well. When I started tattooing, the fact that I could help people through that, it blew my mind, said Saint-Amour in her episode. Sometimes people can see a lot deeper into my art, and I usually have that escapism.
Her work combines retro themes, like the Tamagotchi, with a gory twist, and loves when her clients can relate to it. When someone else is like, Hey I connected with that when I was younger as well, Theres this weird instant bond with someone youve never met and then you meet up and then youre just going to do the art on their body, said Saint-Amour.
The teams ability to build a family and a bond with one another was one of the greatest successes that came from the series, said Wong. After all, many crew members already knew each other from Ryerson, having attended the university at some point in their lives. Were all like one big Rye family; its Rye High all over again, said Wong.
Filmed during the pandemic, Lewis-Joseph and Wong made sure to get everyone involved in the series tested to ensure their safety and comfort. They said they were grateful for the artists and team for being able to put together the project in spite of COVID-19.
The crew and everyone was just so amazing that the whole behind-the-scenes experience was honestly incredible, said Stanford.
The series premiered on Jan. 22 over Zoom, with an overflowing chat box of eager viewers who congratulated both Lewis-Joseph and Wong, as well as the artists.
We had upwards of 120 people show up, not including us, who were already on the call, said Lewis-Joseph. We were expecting 50. Fifty people wouldve been enough for us, she added.
Episode four was played at the event to give viewers a look into what they could expect from the series.
Both Lewis-Joseph and Wong hope, if granted the funding, they will be able to create more episodes in the series.
This web series isnt just like a web series, its more of a community and a collective, and wanting to support local, said Lewis-Joseph.
The full series was released on Jan. 29.
See more here:
- Scar Cover-Up Tattoos Help Women Regain Confidence in Their Bodies - My Modern Met - June 9th, 2021
- How a New Generation of Queer Artists and Patrons Are Redefining Tattoo Culture on Their Own Terms - Vogue - June 9th, 2021
- Tattoo artist goes viral on TikTok with the story of a woman's perfect revenge on her cheating boyfriend - TAG24 NEWS - June 9th, 2021
- A fan pays tribute to Nikola Jokic by getting a tattoo of his patent move the 'Sombor Shuffle' - Basketball Network - June 9th, 2021
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson, 30, and wife Sam, 54, show off matching tattoos - Page Six - June 9th, 2021
- 'Alice the rat was so special': readers on their brilliant, beloved pet tattoos - The Guardian - June 9th, 2021
- Everything You Need to Know Before Getting a Face Tattoo - AskMen - June 9th, 2021
- Help Wanted: An airbrush artist to save the summer - theday.com - June 9th, 2021
- Dining and Dreaming at the Blind Salamander RV Park - Bon Appetit - June 9th, 2021
- Getting an unwanted tattoo removed: what you need to know - Euro Weekly News - June 9th, 2021
- The Stoner Comedy That Honors a 9/11 Firefighter - Rare.us - June 9th, 2021
- Champions of Pride 2021: The West Coast - Advocate.com - Advocate.com - June 9th, 2021
- Tattooed bride and groom flaunt ink as they pose with pal on leash for wedding day - Daily Star - June 9th, 2021
- Justin Bieber and Drake's tattoo artist is the skin guru you need to know - Los Angeles Times - May 28th, 2021
- What you need to know to become a tattoo artist - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle - May 28th, 2021
- Woman spends $45k to cover body in one tattoo - NEWS.com.au - May 28th, 2021
- Can Tattoos Cause Cancer? The Health Risks of Inking - Healthline - May 28th, 2021
- Yang Zhen Lee's trauma-informed tattooing prioritizes boundaries and trust - PGH City Paper - May 28th, 2021
- The Skin I'm In - INKED - May 28th, 2021
- Dalton, Ga.'s Jones to host show on tattoos that debuts Friday on Fox Nation - Moultrie Observer - May 28th, 2021
- American Exchange Group signs on as Licensee for Ed Hardy in Watches, Jewelry, Handbag, and Accessories Categories - PRNewswire - May 28th, 2021
- Everything You Need To Know About Made-To-Fade Semi-Permanent Tattoos - GLAMOUR UK - May 28th, 2021
- 30 Sureal 3D Tattoos Ideas to Try (2021) - The Trend Spotter - May 28th, 2021
- The tattooing culture of the Americas - Times of Malta - May 28th, 2021
- Teen Mom Briana DeJesus reveals shes moving out of $269k family home to live with fiance Javi and her tw... - The US Sun - May 28th, 2021
- Im a mum-of-three with my body & face COVERED in tattoos Ive even inked my lips... - The US Sun - May 28th, 2021
- The 8 Most Tatted Up Rockers - Popdust - May 28th, 2021
- Amber Luke, Whose Body Is 98% Tattooed, Covers Them With Makeup - BroBible - May 28th, 2021
- How tattoos have evolved in different cultures throughout history - Euro Weekly News - May 28th, 2021
- Jada Pinkett Smith Agrees to Get Matching Tattoos With Willow and Gammy on 'Red Table Talk' (Exclusive) - KVUE.com - May 28th, 2021
- 19 Actors Who Actually Got Tattoos To Honor Their Movie And TV Roles - BuzzFeed - May 16th, 2021
- Kourtney Kardashian Tattoos I Love You on Boyfriend Travis Barkers Arm and Fans Are Freaking Out - Us Weekly - May 16th, 2021
- The Inked Huntress Tattoo Studio is making its mark in Fargo - INFORUM - May 16th, 2021
- Perfectly Drawn Tattoos Look Like Stickers Placed on the Skin - My Modern Met - May 16th, 2021
- 20 Celebrities Who Got Tattoos To Honor Their Movie/TV Roles - FandomWire - May 16th, 2021
- Keith Urban Was At Mall Food Court When Taylor Swift Texted About Collab | The Bobby Bones Show | The Bobby Bones Show - iHeartRadio - May 16th, 2021
- The Story Behind One of the Oldest Art Glass Studios in the US - Hyperallergic - May 16th, 2021
- Mark Tuan on Experimenting With His Solo Aesthetic and Skin Care | Interview - Allure - May 16th, 2021
- Take folk art wherever you go with Redemption Tattoo or display a Santa for every season with the help of Vaillancourt Folk Art - WCVB Boston - May 16th, 2021
- Why is this Fayetteville tattoo artist getting so much attention on TikTok? - The Fayetteville Observer - May 4th, 2021
- Scar tissue: Vietnamese women find healing with tattoos - The Japan Times - May 4th, 2021
- Gypsy Carver Brings Ideas to Life - Thelaker - May 4th, 2021
- Madonna Just Got a Red X Inked on Her Arm and She Drank Wine to Numb the Pain - Us Weekly - May 4th, 2021
- Danny Trejo Reveals the Artist Behind His Iconic Chest Tattoo Actually Hated It (Exclusive) - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - May 4th, 2021
- Senior brings passion for art and tattoos to the campus community - The Hawk - May 4th, 2021
- Tattoo artist finds Robin Hoods Silver Arrow while magnet fishing in Sherwood Forest... - The Sun - May 4th, 2021
- Tattoo Peeling: What's Normal and How to Care for It in 2021 - Cosmopolitan - May 4th, 2021
- LeBron James gets tattoo of 'the big 3' with Lakers return near - New York Post - May 4th, 2021
- 6 Fresh Nail Art Ideas From Around the World - Allure - May 4th, 2021
- Mothers Day Gift ideas with Jeremiah David Stroup - KOIN.com - May 4th, 2021
- Madonna Shows Off Results Of Second Ever Tattoo After Getting Inked On Instagram - HuffPost UK - May 4th, 2021
- This First-of-Its-Kind Temporary Tattoo Ink is Made to Fade - Freethink - April 19th, 2021
- Tattoo artist accused of spray painting businesses acquitted - KVRR - April 19th, 2021
- Anthony Audy, Vermont Tattoo Artist With Whimsical Style, Dies at 44 - The New York Times - April 19th, 2021
- Move over Kim K, SA tattoo artist Lew Williams is a global reality show star with stigmas to break - TimesLIVE - April 19th, 2021
- Donna Lombardi Of Black Ink Crew Talks Pausing On Tattooing, Being A Businesswoman And More - MadameNoire - April 19th, 2021
- Meet the tattoo artist who helps Vietnamese women healing from physical and emotional trauma - South China Morning Post - April 19th, 2021
- Things to Do Denver: Art Gallery Openings and Exhibits April 16 to 21, 2021 - Westword - April 19th, 2021
- No regrets? I tried the first ever made to fade tattoo - Dazed - April 19th, 2021
- Tattoo Aftercare Products Market Is Rising With COVID-19 Impact Analysis, Development, Forecast To 2021-2027 The Courier - The Courier - April 19th, 2021
- See how tattoo artwork has modified because the 18th century - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - April 4th, 2021
- See how tattoo art has changed since the 18th century - CNN - April 4th, 2021
- The human canvas: Young tattoo artist draws inspiration from the past: 'attack your dreams' - Pilot Tribune - April 4th, 2021
- 5 Best Tattoo Artists in Indianapolis - Kev's Best - April 4th, 2021
- 'Don't you have enough yet?': Justin Bieber's mom reacts to 'Peaches' singer's new neck tattoo - USA TODAY - April 4th, 2021
- Electric Tattoo: Love of art and 'forbidden fruit' drives Asbury Park studio - Asbury Park Press - April 4th, 2021
- 'Almost like a tsunami': How Wilmington tattoo shops are thriving during the pandemic - StarNewsOnline.com - April 4th, 2021
- ONE YEAR GONE | Welch is back in business at Town's End Tattoo - Port Townsend Leader - April 4th, 2021
- Blazing Trails: Women Who Left Their Marks on the Art World - Cheddar - April 4th, 2021
- 33 Celebrities Who Regret Their Tattoos - Women's Health - April 4th, 2021
- Screen Time at the Worlds First Physical NFT Gallery, Whatever That Means - Vulture - April 4th, 2021
- Martin County resident and pet tree frog garner national attention as the 2021 Cadbury Easter Bunny - TCPalm - April 4th, 2021
- Tattoo fan spends 8k on ink and body mods including eyeballs and split tongue - Daily Star - April 4th, 2021
- Get Inked At 12 Of Auckland's Best Tattoo Studios | Urban List NZ - The Urban List - April 4th, 2021
- A Guide to All of Drake's 35 Tattoos and Their Meanings - menshealth.com - March 8th, 2021
- Tattoo artist restores Stations of the Cross in Belarus - Catholic News Agency - March 8th, 2021
- Jason Terry shares how he got the Larry O'Brien trophy tattoo - Basketball Network - March 8th, 2021
- How Alisha Gory Moved to the US On Her Own and Established Herself as a Famous Tattoo Artist - Daily Front Row - March 8th, 2021
- Who is Elle Kings husband? Know everything about the tattoo artist - Republic TV - March 8th, 2021
- Local Tattoo shop is seeing business boom amid the pandemic - WTHITV.com - March 8th, 2021