IF you're looking at getting a new tattoo, perhaps think long and hard about your design before you take to your skin with ink.
It turns out there are some designs tattooists really loathe because they're just so basic - so do you have one of these tattoos?
What is considered basic, though, depends on the artists own personal taste most of the time - so chose your studio wisely.
Stefan Dinu, from Inkaholics in London told Fabulous that he loves "photorealist, black and grey" artwork, but doesn't enjoy "Maori, Polynesian or mandalas."
As for Tota Volpe-Landi fromHappy Sailor Tattoo in London, she hates realistic artwork, and new, popular trends are definitely a no-go. Instead more "traditional tattoos, thick lines, big coverage" are the sure way to go.
Here, five tattoo artists tell Fabulous the designs they hate the most and what you should definitely avoid.
Tota told Fabulous that most tattooists will always prefer "big size tattoos instead of tiny ones."
She said: "Personally I wouldnt get a tiny infinite symbol on myself, but I have little tattoos I got on the spur of the moment, to mark something in my life."
"I prefer also doing tattoos that last in time, Im not too keen on superfine lines."
According to Naresh, a tattooer of 32 years and owner ofFlamin Eightin London, these tiny design "may look great freshly done" but says they're usually the first to fade.
Speaking to Fabulous, he said: "Believe me, I've seen how these heal and if they survive the initial healing they do not age well and are often a source of regret when the sharp lines fade and blur once the dressings are removed."
It seems there's a common distaste for infinity symbols among artists, particularly since it's now one of the most common requests.
Admitting it's his most hated design, Stefan said it's just because of "the volume ofenquiries we got throughout the years" and said it's a design that "makes you roll your eyes and say 'not again!'"
For Avram Nikolic-Parry, a tattoo artist available through IYNK, the most common tattoo that makes him cringe is by far the infinity symbol.
But particularly infinity symbols with tiny bird silhouettes coming out of them on the wrist, he said.
A feather with birds flying around is supposedly pretty on trend, but Stefan reckons it lacks "originality and inspiration".
He said: "There is so many people out there with the same tattoo, why copy? why not having something unique?"
There's a myriad of common designs now, though, thanks to celebrity-culture and Pinterest.
Tota said: "When tattooing started becoming mainstream, people had stars. Overrated but technically not as easy to do as people think. After there were owls, pocket watches, infinity symbols.... roses probably are the most tattooed subject."
Now, lions with crowns are becoming increasingly popular but Tota absolutely "loathes them".
"Thats a newish stuff," she explained. "Everyone likes these crowned lions.Personally I think they look funny and its not my style...I think it's how the crown sits on the head which is weird."
Stefan added: "Times are changing, fashion comes and goes. If you get your tattoos because they are fashionable you will most likely regret it a year later."
He urges people to get something "meaningful, original and representative of you," saying you will "wear it with pride even when you get to your 90's."
For Stefan, name tattoos are his pet peeve - particularly those who get their partner's names.
He said: "After 17 years as a tattoo artist I still don't understand why people get their partners' name on them, especially at the beginning of a relationship."
In his experience, those customers are always the first to get a tattoo removed, and said "they never learn".
Offering some advice, he said: "If any couples out there are thinking [about getting] their names tattooed on each other,please try to think of something a bit more meaningful and original that represents the love for each other."
Tom Abbott, Founder of IYNK told Fabulous that celebrities can make certain tattoo styles go mainstream - face tattoos like Post Malone, Amber Rose, Lil Wayne, or hand designs like Cara Delevingne, Rita Ora and Lana Del Rey.
But he reckons you'll have a pretty hard time finding an artist who'll happily ink your foot, hand or face because "many artists and studios have policies against doing tattoos in these areas".
Avram agreed and revealed that, in his opinion, hand ink is definitely the most basic tattoo someone could get.
"The one tattoo I find super basic is the Cheryl Cole-style hand tattoos," he admitted.
"Clients coming in asking for an intricate design to put on the side of the hand. These tattoos never stay crisp and clean, they always fade and blur out. I hate the fad she created.
A common theme among artists is that they'll rarely convince a customer not to get something - but they will work with them and guide them in the right direction.
Tota said: "I will [do] my best [to do] what my customers ask, no judgement. I can only give my opinion and then try to do my best."
But she will turn down work she isn't comfortable doing - such as people who are intoxicated or underage.
She said: "I do turn down work that I dont feel comfortable with, people that are inebriated, people who are very young."
But also customers who want very visible tattoos on the hands, neck and face.
Stefan agreed and doesn't encourage ink on these areas and said he'll often book those in months in advance in hope the customer changes their mind.
He said they get a lot of requests for hand and finger ink as first tattoos, but he will "kindly decline".
"We try to put things in perspective and ask them, 'how would it be if you hadto wear your favourite baseball cap all your life...?' And thats when they started having second thoughts and really sleep on it," he said.
But don't expect Naresh from Flamin Eight to oblige because visible hand and neck tattoos are off limits for him too.
"I do sometimes refuse to do certain designs and will not do anything that could be deemed offensive," he said.
And added: "Clients with few or no other tattoos are unlikely to convince me to tattoo very visible areas like hands or necks."
LOOKING FLYModel told to cover up on plane because her crop top was inappropriate'
DISHY IDEAHow to use dishwasher tablets to clean ANYTHING - including the oven
NOD OFFMum-of-eight, 27, shares busy night routine & its SO chaotic she starts at 4.30pm
NO KIDDINGMum makes daughter wear sign to stop others shaming her for taking her to shops
ROCK BOTTOMI was suicidal and 100k in debt after losing my dream job on CBeebies
BUM'S THE WORDPut your bum away Heidi, you're 47! Its your teen daughter's time to shine
Meanwhile,tattoo fans share what dodgy body art REALLY means and fresh spring rolls has to be the winner.
Plusthese daring celebs all got tattoos later in life can you guess the stars from their surprising inkings?
AndDan Osbornes tattoo shows hes protective of Jacqueline Jossa& the meaning behind Brooklyn Beckhams spooky ink.
- 5 Best Tattoo Artists in Houston - Kev's Best - February 19th, 2021
- Ink Evolution - Flathead Beacon - February 19th, 2021
- It doesnt get easier with time: Smiths continue to move forward while honoring loved ones - Fox17 - February 19th, 2021
- Arteta refuses to confirm whether Aubameyang broke rules by getting tattoo - BT Sport - February 19th, 2021
- Irish tattoo artist recalls the day Britney Spears came to Bray - Newstalk - February 19th, 2021
- Did you know entrepreneur Naman Arora is a top-notch tattoo artist? Read to know more about the creative genius! - News Track English - February 19th, 2021
- 3 Men Shared the Stories Behind the Epic Tattoos They Got to Cover Their Scars - menshealth.com - February 19th, 2021
- Want to get a finger tattoo? Here's what to keep in mind before taking the plunge - VOGUE India - February 17th, 2021
- Arsenal investigate Aubameyang over reported COVID-19 tattoo breach - ESPN - February 17th, 2021
- Tributes paid in memory of talented Blood Rush tattoo artist - Leighton Buzzard Observer - February 17th, 2021
- Artist and Influencer Mikey B Made It is legally trappin art from the hood to Hollywood - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 17th, 2021
- Charlie Cartwright: The Godfather of Black-and-Grey Fine Line Tattooing - Scene 360 - February 17th, 2021
- Exploring the process of becoming a tattoo artist - Argonaut - February 14th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Share the Tattoo Ideas So Bad They Actually Refused to Do Them - menshealth.com - February 14th, 2021
- Tattoo artists reveal the one inking theyve been asked to do but had to refuse - Daily Star - February 11th, 2021
- Show what you love: Manchester resident Lizzie Wright in the running to be Inked magazines next cover girl - Baltimore Sun - February 11th, 2021
- Tattoo artists reveal the one tattoo they have had to refuse to do - Buzz.ie - February 11th, 2021
- These Tattoo Artists Shared the Worst Mistakes Theyve Ever Made - menshealth.com - February 11th, 2021
- Feel the Bern: Warm up with the top 10 Bernie Sanders memes The Rocky Mountain Collegian - Rocky Mountain Collegian - February 11th, 2021
- Tattoo artists reveal their worst mistakes ever and how the clients reacted - Daily Star - February 11th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They Love Doing the Most - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 10th, 2021
- Halsey Doesn't Want To Go 'Overboard' On Pregnancy Cravings - OK! - February 10th, 2021
- Becky G Just Got 2 New Tattoos in One Day, and I Thought I Had a High Pain Threshold - POPSUGAR - February 10th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Best Tattoos They'll Never Get Tired of Doing - menshealth.com - February 10th, 2021
- Nine things tattoo artists hate clients doing when they get inked - Daily Star - February 10th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They're Most Sick of Seeing - menshealth.com - February 7th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Irish Sun - February 7th, 2021
- 'Basic' tattoos artists secretly hate doing - and the ones they'll refuse to give - Cambridgeshire Live - February 6th, 2021
- With Pastel Devil Studio, these artists are reimagining today's tattoo parlor - St. Louis Magazine - February 6th, 2021
- Marijuana law reform in Japan contingent on the message - The Japan Times - February 6th, 2021
- Bricks placed in Southern Indiana remember those who have died from drug overdose - WHAS11.com - February 6th, 2021
- Vans Tapped 4 Artists to Design Shoes For Black History Month, and We Talked to Them All - POPSUGAR - February 6th, 2021
- 20 Interesting Facts About the South Korean Boy Band BTS - Music in Minnesota - Music in Minnesota - February 6th, 2021
- 10 Celebs Who Have Face Tattoos | TheThings - TheThings - February 6th, 2021
- Walter Suza: A city along the Mississippi seeks to defeat hate - Ames Tribune - February 6th, 2021
- If Norman Rockwell were alive today: North Jersey photo exhibit updates iconic artists works - NJ.com - February 4th, 2021
- Jhene Aiko & 9 Other Celebs Who Got Huge Portraits Of Their Partners Tattooed On Them - TheThings - February 4th, 2021
- Columbus rappers and engineers embrace work from home with new DIY spaces - Columbus Alive - February 4th, 2021
- Chris Evans Has Way More Tattoos Than You Think - menshealth.com - February 4th, 2021
- The sweet side of a sour pandemic - IU Southeast Horizon - February 4th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Sun - February 4th, 2021
- No one said folding clothes was easy, but this folding board makes it quick - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 4th, 2021
- Bedford Has a Year-Round All-Horror Shop - Dallas Observer - February 4th, 2021
- 'Basic' tattoos artists secretly hate doing - and the ones they'll refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 4th, 2021
- One Arm Willie makes his mark on the local tattoo industry - Mountain Xpress - February 4th, 2021
- How to plan your tattoo - Nation Online - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - February 4th, 2021
- Six tattoos artists secretly hate doing and the one inking they refuse to do - Daily Star - February 2nd, 2021
- 90 Day Fianc Recap: They Really Titled This Episode The No Bang Theory - Vulture - February 2nd, 2021
- Brett Young Honors His Children By Getting Tattoos Of Their Heartbeats By Bubba Irwin - Music Mayhem Magazine - February 2nd, 2021
- Rye grads put a spotlight on Toronto's diverse artists with How T.O. Art - The Eyeopener - February 2nd, 2021
- Cara Delevingne & Other Models Who Made It In The Industry With Visible Tattoos - TheThings - February 2nd, 2021
- Heres What Halseys Mysterious Matching Seeds Tattoo With Her Boyfriend Alev Means - Cosmopolitan - February 2nd, 2021
- Denver tattoo artist goes viral for her take on the wildly popular Bernie Sanders meme - The Denver Channel - January 31st, 2021
- For the love of Ink - Daily Pioneer - January 31st, 2021
- Michigan family mourns death of son they say was pushed to the breaking point by stop in high school sports - MLive.com - January 31st, 2021
- Style 'The Bernie Meme' Is Forever Immortalized on a Denver Man's Body - ourcommunitynow.com - January 31st, 2021
- Halsey and Alev Aydin Have Matching Tattoos and the Meaning Behind Them Will Make You Melt - Seventeen.com - January 31st, 2021
- Someone in Toronto started an Instagram account sharing the stories behind people's tattoos - blogTO - January 31st, 2021
- For artist Tim Eakin, each tattoo has 'got to be the best thing ever' - Canton Repository - January 30th, 2021
- Pattaya tattoo artists have only red ink - Pattaya Mail - January 30th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Talked About Their Mistakes and Now We'll Think Twice Before Getting a Tattoo - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - January 30th, 2021
- Arrow Brings The El Duce Tapes & Shogun's Joy Of Torture In February - Inside Pulse - January 30th, 2021
- Kim Jones, roller derby and haute couture debuts: whats in fashion? - i-D - January 30th, 2021
- Can You Wear Floral on Your Buzz Cut? - The New York Times - January 27th, 2021
- #Balancetontatoueur: one of the accused tattooists files a complaint against the Instagram account which wanted to break the omerta - Inspired... - January 27th, 2021
- Is The King of Staten Island based on a true story? Which parts have been fictionalised? - Republic World - January 27th, 2021
- Integrity Ink Provides Fast, Effective, and Affordable Full-Spectrum Laser Tattoo Removal in Crosby, TX with the Astanza Trinity Laser - GlobeNewswire - January 27th, 2021
- New Year New Me LifeChanging Scalp Micropigmentation For Men and Women - Pro News Report - January 27th, 2021
- Missing and Murdered in the Midwest Crime Chat: Hello 2021 & Bloody Good Book Club - WQAD.com - January 25th, 2021
- Ireland Baldwin Tugs Down Her Pants To Show Off Her Lace Panties, Butt, And Tattoo - The Inquisitr - January 25th, 2021
- Socceroo Jackson Irvine explains his viral Simpsons tattoo that won over a writer from the show - Sporting News AU - January 24th, 2021
- From Grassroots To Grand Circuit Glory - Standardbred Canada - January 24th, 2021
- Face tattoos give Indigenous woman a chance to reclaim traditional form of self-expression - CBC.ca - January 24th, 2021
- Tattoo artist Les Bowen reflects on 61 years inking bodies and change from underground to art form - ABC News - January 22nd, 2021
- Sherbrooke-based tattoo artists ready to get back to the studio - Sherbrooke Record - January 22nd, 2021
- The Dangerous Risks of Eye Tattoos, According to Body Modification Artist Who Invented Them - Yahoo Lifestyle - January 22nd, 2021
- Denver Tattoo Shop Owner Finally Gets Some Attention From the City - Westword - January 22nd, 2021
- Travis Ross makes another visit to Accelerated Charter High School - YourCentralValley.com - January 22nd, 2021
- Remington Tattoo Parlor and Gallery Claims To Be The Best Option For Those Searching Online For "Female Tattoo Artists Near Me" In San Diego... - January 20th, 2021
- Getting inked is becoming more acceptable - The Signal - The Signal - January 20th, 2021