IF you're looking at getting a new tattoo, perhaps think long and hard about your design before you take to your skin with ink.
It turns out there are some designs tattooists really loathe because they're just so basic - so do you have one of these tattoos?
What is considered basic, though, depends on the artists own personal taste most of the time - so chose your studio wisely.
Stefan Dinu, from Inkaholics in London told Fabulous that he loves "photorealist, black and grey" artwork, but doesn't enjoy "Maori, Polynesian or mandalas."
As for Tota Volpe-Landi fromHappy Sailor Tattoo in London, she hates realistic artwork, and new, popular trends are definitely a no-go. Instead more "traditional tattoos, thick lines, big coverage" are the sure way to go.
Here, five tattoo artists tell Fabulous the designs they hate the most and what you should definitely avoid.
Tota told Fabulous that most tattooists will always prefer "big size tattoos instead of tiny ones."
She said: "Personally I wouldnt get a tiny infinite symbol on myself, but I have little tattoos I got on the spur of the moment, to mark something in my life."
"I prefer also doing tattoos that last in time, Im not too keen on superfine lines."
According to Naresh, a tattooer of 32 years and owner ofFlamin Eightin London, these tiny design "may look great freshly done" but says they're usually the first to fade.
Speaking to Fabulous, he said: "Believe me, I've seen how these heal and if they survive the initial healing they do not age well and are often a source of regret when the sharp lines fade and blur once the dressings are removed."
It seems there's a common distaste for infinity symbols among artists, particularly since it's now one of the most common requests.
Admitting it's his most hated design, Stefan said it's just because of "the volume ofenquiries we got throughout the years" and said it's a design that "makes you roll your eyes and say 'not again!'"
For Avram Nikolic-Parry, a tattoo artist available through IYNK, the most common tattoo that makes him cringe is by far the infinity symbol.
But particularly infinity symbols with tiny bird silhouettes coming out of them on the wrist, he said.
A feather with birds flying around is supposedly pretty on trend, but Stefan reckons it lacks "originality and inspiration".
He said: "There is so many people out there with the same tattoo, why copy? why not having something unique?"
There's a myriad of common designs now, though, thanks to celebrity-culture and Pinterest.
Tota said: "When tattooing started becoming mainstream, people had stars. Overrated but technically not as easy to do as people think. After there were owls, pocket watches, infinity symbols.... roses probably are the most tattooed subject."
Now, lions with crowns are becoming increasingly popular but Tota absolutely "loathes them".
"Thats a newish stuff," she explained. "Everyone likes these crowned lions.Personally I think they look funny and its not my style...I think it's how the crown sits on the head which is weird."
Stefan added: "Times are changing, fashion comes and goes. If you get your tattoos because they are fashionable you will most likely regret it a year later."
He urges people to get something "meaningful, original and representative of you," saying you will "wear it with pride even when you get to your 90's."
For Stefan, name tattoos are his pet peeve - particularly those who get their partner's names.
He said: "After 17 years as a tattoo artist I still don't understand why people get their partners' name on them, especially at the beginning of a relationship."
In his experience, those customers are always the first to get a tattoo removed, and said "they never learn".
Offering some advice, he said: "If any couples out there are thinking [about getting] their names tattooed on each other,please try to think of something a bit more meaningful and original that represents the love for each other."
Tom Abbott, Founder of IYNK told Fabulous that celebrities can make certain tattoo styles go mainstream - face tattoos like Post Malone, Amber Rose, Lil Wayne, or hand designs like Cara Delevingne, Rita Ora and Lana Del Rey.
But he reckons you'll have a pretty hard time finding an artist who'll happily ink your foot, hand or face because "many artists and studios have policies against doing tattoos in these areas".
Avram agreed and revealed that, in his opinion, hand ink is definitely the most basic tattoo someone could get.
"The one tattoo I find super basic is the Cheryl Cole-style hand tattoos," he admitted.
"Clients coming in asking for an intricate design to put on the side of the hand. These tattoos never stay crisp and clean, they always fade and blur out. I hate the fad she created.
A common theme among artists is that they'll rarely convince a customer not to get something - but they will work with them and guide them in the right direction.
Tota said: "I will [do] my best [to do] what my customers ask, no judgement. I can only give my opinion and then try to do my best."
But she will turn down work she isn't comfortable doing - such as people who are intoxicated or underage.
She said: "I do turn down work that I dont feel comfortable with, people that are inebriated, people who are very young."
But also customers who want very visible tattoos on the hands, neck and face.
Stefan agreed and doesn't encourage ink on these areas and said he'll often book those in months in advance in hope the customer changes their mind.
He said they get a lot of requests for hand and finger ink as first tattoos, but he will "kindly decline".
"We try to put things in perspective and ask them, 'how would it be if you hadto wear your favourite baseball cap all your life...?' And thats when they started having second thoughts and really sleep on it," he said.
But don't expect Naresh from Flamin Eight to oblige because visible hand and neck tattoos are off limits for him too.
"I do sometimes refuse to do certain designs and will not do anything that could be deemed offensive," he said.
And added: "Clients with few or no other tattoos are unlikely to convince me to tattoo very visible areas like hands or necks."
LOOKING FLYModel told to cover up on plane because her crop top was inappropriate'
DISHY IDEAHow to use dishwasher tablets to clean ANYTHING - including the oven
NOD OFFMum-of-eight, 27, shares busy night routine & its SO chaotic she starts at 4.30pm
NO KIDDINGMum makes daughter wear sign to stop others shaming her for taking her to shops
ROCK BOTTOMI was suicidal and 100k in debt after losing my dream job on CBeebies
BUM'S THE WORDPut your bum away Heidi, you're 47! Its your teen daughter's time to shine
Meanwhile,tattoo fans share what dodgy body art REALLY means and fresh spring rolls has to be the winner.
Plusthese daring celebs all got tattoos later in life can you guess the stars from their surprising inkings?
AndDan Osbornes tattoo shows hes protective of Jacqueline Jossa& the meaning behind Brooklyn Beckhams spooky ink.
- Scar Cover-Up Tattoos Help Women Regain Confidence in Their Bodies - My Modern Met - June 9th, 2021
- How a New Generation of Queer Artists and Patrons Are Redefining Tattoo Culture on Their Own Terms - Vogue - June 9th, 2021
- Tattoo artist goes viral on TikTok with the story of a woman's perfect revenge on her cheating boyfriend - TAG24 NEWS - June 9th, 2021
- A fan pays tribute to Nikola Jokic by getting a tattoo of his patent move the 'Sombor Shuffle' - Basketball Network - June 9th, 2021
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson, 30, and wife Sam, 54, show off matching tattoos - Page Six - June 9th, 2021
- 'Alice the rat was so special': readers on their brilliant, beloved pet tattoos - The Guardian - June 9th, 2021
- Everything You Need to Know Before Getting a Face Tattoo - AskMen - June 9th, 2021
- Help Wanted: An airbrush artist to save the summer - theday.com - June 9th, 2021
- Dining and Dreaming at the Blind Salamander RV Park - Bon Appetit - June 9th, 2021
- Getting an unwanted tattoo removed: what you need to know - Euro Weekly News - June 9th, 2021
- The Stoner Comedy That Honors a 9/11 Firefighter - Rare.us - June 9th, 2021
- Champions of Pride 2021: The West Coast - Advocate.com - Advocate.com - June 9th, 2021
- Tattooed bride and groom flaunt ink as they pose with pal on leash for wedding day - Daily Star - June 9th, 2021
- Justin Bieber and Drake's tattoo artist is the skin guru you need to know - Los Angeles Times - May 28th, 2021
- What you need to know to become a tattoo artist - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle - May 28th, 2021
- Woman spends $45k to cover body in one tattoo - NEWS.com.au - May 28th, 2021
- Can Tattoos Cause Cancer? The Health Risks of Inking - Healthline - May 28th, 2021
- Yang Zhen Lee's trauma-informed tattooing prioritizes boundaries and trust - PGH City Paper - May 28th, 2021
- The Skin I'm In - INKED - May 28th, 2021
- Dalton, Ga.'s Jones to host show on tattoos that debuts Friday on Fox Nation - Moultrie Observer - May 28th, 2021
- American Exchange Group signs on as Licensee for Ed Hardy in Watches, Jewelry, Handbag, and Accessories Categories - PRNewswire - May 28th, 2021
- Everything You Need To Know About Made-To-Fade Semi-Permanent Tattoos - GLAMOUR UK - May 28th, 2021
- 30 Sureal 3D Tattoos Ideas to Try (2021) - The Trend Spotter - May 28th, 2021
- The tattooing culture of the Americas - Times of Malta - May 28th, 2021
- Teen Mom Briana DeJesus reveals shes moving out of $269k family home to live with fiance Javi and her tw... - The US Sun - May 28th, 2021
- Im a mum-of-three with my body & face COVERED in tattoos Ive even inked my lips... - The US Sun - May 28th, 2021
- The 8 Most Tatted Up Rockers - Popdust - May 28th, 2021
- Amber Luke, Whose Body Is 98% Tattooed, Covers Them With Makeup - BroBible - May 28th, 2021
- How tattoos have evolved in different cultures throughout history - Euro Weekly News - May 28th, 2021
- Jada Pinkett Smith Agrees to Get Matching Tattoos With Willow and Gammy on 'Red Table Talk' (Exclusive) - KVUE.com - May 28th, 2021
- 19 Actors Who Actually Got Tattoos To Honor Their Movie And TV Roles - BuzzFeed - May 16th, 2021
- Kourtney Kardashian Tattoos I Love You on Boyfriend Travis Barkers Arm and Fans Are Freaking Out - Us Weekly - May 16th, 2021
- The Inked Huntress Tattoo Studio is making its mark in Fargo - INFORUM - May 16th, 2021
- Perfectly Drawn Tattoos Look Like Stickers Placed on the Skin - My Modern Met - May 16th, 2021
- 20 Celebrities Who Got Tattoos To Honor Their Movie/TV Roles - FandomWire - May 16th, 2021
- Keith Urban Was At Mall Food Court When Taylor Swift Texted About Collab | The Bobby Bones Show | The Bobby Bones Show - iHeartRadio - May 16th, 2021
- The Story Behind One of the Oldest Art Glass Studios in the US - Hyperallergic - May 16th, 2021
- Mark Tuan on Experimenting With His Solo Aesthetic and Skin Care | Interview - Allure - May 16th, 2021
- Take folk art wherever you go with Redemption Tattoo or display a Santa for every season with the help of Vaillancourt Folk Art - WCVB Boston - May 16th, 2021
- Why is this Fayetteville tattoo artist getting so much attention on TikTok? - The Fayetteville Observer - May 4th, 2021
- Scar tissue: Vietnamese women find healing with tattoos - The Japan Times - May 4th, 2021
- Gypsy Carver Brings Ideas to Life - Thelaker - May 4th, 2021
- Madonna Just Got a Red X Inked on Her Arm and She Drank Wine to Numb the Pain - Us Weekly - May 4th, 2021
- Danny Trejo Reveals the Artist Behind His Iconic Chest Tattoo Actually Hated It (Exclusive) - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - May 4th, 2021
- Senior brings passion for art and tattoos to the campus community - The Hawk - May 4th, 2021
- Tattoo artist finds Robin Hoods Silver Arrow while magnet fishing in Sherwood Forest... - The Sun - May 4th, 2021
- Tattoo Peeling: What's Normal and How to Care for It in 2021 - Cosmopolitan - May 4th, 2021
- LeBron James gets tattoo of 'the big 3' with Lakers return near - New York Post - May 4th, 2021
- 6 Fresh Nail Art Ideas From Around the World - Allure - May 4th, 2021
- Mothers Day Gift ideas with Jeremiah David Stroup - KOIN.com - May 4th, 2021
- Madonna Shows Off Results Of Second Ever Tattoo After Getting Inked On Instagram - HuffPost UK - May 4th, 2021
- This First-of-Its-Kind Temporary Tattoo Ink is Made to Fade - Freethink - April 19th, 2021
- Tattoo artist accused of spray painting businesses acquitted - KVRR - April 19th, 2021
- Anthony Audy, Vermont Tattoo Artist With Whimsical Style, Dies at 44 - The New York Times - April 19th, 2021
- Move over Kim K, SA tattoo artist Lew Williams is a global reality show star with stigmas to break - TimesLIVE - April 19th, 2021
- Donna Lombardi Of Black Ink Crew Talks Pausing On Tattooing, Being A Businesswoman And More - MadameNoire - April 19th, 2021
- Meet the tattoo artist who helps Vietnamese women healing from physical and emotional trauma - South China Morning Post - April 19th, 2021
- Things to Do Denver: Art Gallery Openings and Exhibits April 16 to 21, 2021 - Westword - April 19th, 2021
- No regrets? I tried the first ever made to fade tattoo - Dazed - April 19th, 2021
- Tattoo Aftercare Products Market Is Rising With COVID-19 Impact Analysis, Development, Forecast To 2021-2027 The Courier - The Courier - April 19th, 2021
- See how tattoo artwork has modified because the 18th century - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - April 4th, 2021
- See how tattoo art has changed since the 18th century - CNN - April 4th, 2021
- The human canvas: Young tattoo artist draws inspiration from the past: 'attack your dreams' - Pilot Tribune - April 4th, 2021
- 5 Best Tattoo Artists in Indianapolis - Kev's Best - April 4th, 2021
- 'Don't you have enough yet?': Justin Bieber's mom reacts to 'Peaches' singer's new neck tattoo - USA TODAY - April 4th, 2021
- Electric Tattoo: Love of art and 'forbidden fruit' drives Asbury Park studio - Asbury Park Press - April 4th, 2021
- 'Almost like a tsunami': How Wilmington tattoo shops are thriving during the pandemic - StarNewsOnline.com - April 4th, 2021
- ONE YEAR GONE | Welch is back in business at Town's End Tattoo - Port Townsend Leader - April 4th, 2021
- Blazing Trails: Women Who Left Their Marks on the Art World - Cheddar - April 4th, 2021
- 33 Celebrities Who Regret Their Tattoos - Women's Health - April 4th, 2021
- Screen Time at the Worlds First Physical NFT Gallery, Whatever That Means - Vulture - April 4th, 2021
- Martin County resident and pet tree frog garner national attention as the 2021 Cadbury Easter Bunny - TCPalm - April 4th, 2021
- Tattoo fan spends 8k on ink and body mods including eyeballs and split tongue - Daily Star - April 4th, 2021
- Get Inked At 12 Of Auckland's Best Tattoo Studios | Urban List NZ - The Urban List - April 4th, 2021
- A Guide to All of Drake's 35 Tattoos and Their Meanings - menshealth.com - March 8th, 2021
- Tattoo artist restores Stations of the Cross in Belarus - Catholic News Agency - March 8th, 2021
- Jason Terry shares how he got the Larry O'Brien trophy tattoo - Basketball Network - March 8th, 2021
- How Alisha Gory Moved to the US On Her Own and Established Herself as a Famous Tattoo Artist - Daily Front Row - March 8th, 2021
- Who is Elle Kings husband? Know everything about the tattoo artist - Republic TV - March 8th, 2021
- Local Tattoo shop is seeing business boom amid the pandemic - WTHITV.com - March 8th, 2021