Getting a tattoo is a big decision - they are for life after all.
Before you commit to it, it's important to do your research - and we're not just talking about what design you want.
As well as choosing your studio wisely, you should also do a little digging into the artist before you sit down to get permanently marked.
Every artist has a different style and preference on what they like to ink so you want to make sure that you're picking the right one for you.
Whilst some like black and white photorealist sketches, others might prefer to ink watercolour designs or mandalas.
But there are a few designs that tattoo artists can't stand - here's the top six.
Tota Volpe-Landi from Happy Sailor Tattoo in London told The Sun that most tattooists - herself included - prefer big tattoos over small, dainty inks.
She said that although she has a few smaller tattoos that mean a lot to her, she prefers to tattoo designs with thicker lines over super fine lines as they last a lot longer.
Tiny tattoos also do not heal as well as their larger counterparts, something that Naresh, a London-based artist and owner of Flamin' Eight explained.
He said that even if they survive the initial healing stage, they tend not to age well.
And more often than not, after the dressings are removed and lines fade and blur, people regret their choice.
The infinity symbol is one of the most commonly-seen tattoos around, so it's not a surprise that artists get bored of doing the design.
Stefan Dinu, from Inkaholics in London, went as far as to say it's the design he hates the most purely because of "the volume of inquiries we got throughout the years, it's a design that makes you roll your eyes and say 'not again!'"
Although feather and bird tattoos are a popular choice, it's not a firm favourite with artists as Stefan thinks it lacks originality and inspiration.
With so many people with the same tattoo, Stefan doesn't understand why anyone would pick it.
Roses, pocket watches and roman numerals are also some of the most commonly seen tattoos on people up and down the country.
Now, lions with crowns are becoming increasingly popular but Tota absolutely "loathes them".
While she acknowledges that everyone seems to love this new lion craze, she thinks it looks "weird".
Explaining why she doesn't like them, she says it's probably how the crown sits on the lion's head.
Stefan added that getting a tattoo that is fashionable is risky as "fashion comes and goes."
Instead, he suggests getting something unique and meaningful - something that will still be representative of you when you've grown old.
For Stefan, name tattoos are his pet peeve - especially if it's a partner's name.
He said: "After 17 years as a tattoo artist I still don't understand why people get their partners' names on them, especially at the beginning of a relationship."
In his experience, most often than not, these people are the ones who are the first to get a tattoo removed.
In place of your loved one's name, he suggests thinking of something that represents the love each person has for the other.
Whether it be celebrities like Post Malone, Amber Rose or Lil Wayne with face tattoos, or Cara Delevingne, Rita Ora, and Lana Del Rey with hand designs, there's always a flurry of admiring superfans wanting to get the same ink as their favourite celebs.
But Tom Abbott, founder of IYNK, said that you might find it hard to find a studio that will tattoo on your hands, face, or feet as a lot of places have policies against these areas.
Avram Nikolic-Parry, a tattoo artist available through IYNK, says the Cheryl Cole-style hand tattoos are some of the most "basic."
The issue with tattooing in this place is that the lines always fade over time.
Artists will rarely convince a customer not to get a design that they've set their heart on - but they will try and guide them in the right direction.
Although Tota will do her best to give the customer what they want, she will turn down any work she doesn't feel comfortable taking on, for example, tatting people who are either intoxicated or who are underage.
She'll also turn away customers who want very visible tattoos on their neck, hands and face.
Stefan said he doesn't encourage people to have ink in these places, and will often book these appointments months in advance in the hopes the customer will change their mind.
If people ask for hand or finger ink, he'll also politely decline.
"We try to put things in perspective and ask them, 'how would it be if you had to wear your favourite baseball cap all your life...?' And that's when they started having second thoughts and really sleep on it," he said.
Naresh from Flamin Eight said he'll also refuse to do a design that could be seen as offensive.
Do you have a story to share? We want to hear all about it. Email us at email@example.com
See the article here:
- Scar Cover-Up Tattoos Help Women Regain Confidence in Their Bodies - My Modern Met - June 9th, 2021
- How a New Generation of Queer Artists and Patrons Are Redefining Tattoo Culture on Their Own Terms - Vogue - June 9th, 2021
- Tattoo artist goes viral on TikTok with the story of a woman's perfect revenge on her cheating boyfriend - TAG24 NEWS - June 9th, 2021
- A fan pays tribute to Nikola Jokic by getting a tattoo of his patent move the 'Sombor Shuffle' - Basketball Network - June 9th, 2021
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson, 30, and wife Sam, 54, show off matching tattoos - Page Six - June 9th, 2021
- 'Alice the rat was so special': readers on their brilliant, beloved pet tattoos - The Guardian - June 9th, 2021
- Everything You Need to Know Before Getting a Face Tattoo - AskMen - June 9th, 2021
- Help Wanted: An airbrush artist to save the summer - theday.com - June 9th, 2021
- Dining and Dreaming at the Blind Salamander RV Park - Bon Appetit - June 9th, 2021
- Getting an unwanted tattoo removed: what you need to know - Euro Weekly News - June 9th, 2021
- The Stoner Comedy That Honors a 9/11 Firefighter - Rare.us - June 9th, 2021
- Champions of Pride 2021: The West Coast - Advocate.com - Advocate.com - June 9th, 2021
- Tattooed bride and groom flaunt ink as they pose with pal on leash for wedding day - Daily Star - June 9th, 2021
- Justin Bieber and Drake's tattoo artist is the skin guru you need to know - Los Angeles Times - May 28th, 2021
- What you need to know to become a tattoo artist - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle - May 28th, 2021
- Woman spends $45k to cover body in one tattoo - NEWS.com.au - May 28th, 2021
- Can Tattoos Cause Cancer? The Health Risks of Inking - Healthline - May 28th, 2021
- Yang Zhen Lee's trauma-informed tattooing prioritizes boundaries and trust - PGH City Paper - May 28th, 2021
- The Skin I'm In - INKED - May 28th, 2021
- Dalton, Ga.'s Jones to host show on tattoos that debuts Friday on Fox Nation - Moultrie Observer - May 28th, 2021
- American Exchange Group signs on as Licensee for Ed Hardy in Watches, Jewelry, Handbag, and Accessories Categories - PRNewswire - May 28th, 2021
- Everything You Need To Know About Made-To-Fade Semi-Permanent Tattoos - GLAMOUR UK - May 28th, 2021
- 30 Sureal 3D Tattoos Ideas to Try (2021) - The Trend Spotter - May 28th, 2021
- The tattooing culture of the Americas - Times of Malta - May 28th, 2021
- Teen Mom Briana DeJesus reveals shes moving out of $269k family home to live with fiance Javi and her tw... - The US Sun - May 28th, 2021
- Im a mum-of-three with my body & face COVERED in tattoos Ive even inked my lips... - The US Sun - May 28th, 2021
- The 8 Most Tatted Up Rockers - Popdust - May 28th, 2021
- Amber Luke, Whose Body Is 98% Tattooed, Covers Them With Makeup - BroBible - May 28th, 2021
- How tattoos have evolved in different cultures throughout history - Euro Weekly News - May 28th, 2021
- Jada Pinkett Smith Agrees to Get Matching Tattoos With Willow and Gammy on 'Red Table Talk' (Exclusive) - KVUE.com - May 28th, 2021
- 19 Actors Who Actually Got Tattoos To Honor Their Movie And TV Roles - BuzzFeed - May 16th, 2021
- Kourtney Kardashian Tattoos I Love You on Boyfriend Travis Barkers Arm and Fans Are Freaking Out - Us Weekly - May 16th, 2021
- The Inked Huntress Tattoo Studio is making its mark in Fargo - INFORUM - May 16th, 2021
- Perfectly Drawn Tattoos Look Like Stickers Placed on the Skin - My Modern Met - May 16th, 2021
- 20 Celebrities Who Got Tattoos To Honor Their Movie/TV Roles - FandomWire - May 16th, 2021
- Keith Urban Was At Mall Food Court When Taylor Swift Texted About Collab | The Bobby Bones Show | The Bobby Bones Show - iHeartRadio - May 16th, 2021
- The Story Behind One of the Oldest Art Glass Studios in the US - Hyperallergic - May 16th, 2021
- Mark Tuan on Experimenting With His Solo Aesthetic and Skin Care | Interview - Allure - May 16th, 2021
- Take folk art wherever you go with Redemption Tattoo or display a Santa for every season with the help of Vaillancourt Folk Art - WCVB Boston - May 16th, 2021
- Why is this Fayetteville tattoo artist getting so much attention on TikTok? - The Fayetteville Observer - May 4th, 2021
- Scar tissue: Vietnamese women find healing with tattoos - The Japan Times - May 4th, 2021
- Gypsy Carver Brings Ideas to Life - Thelaker - May 4th, 2021
- Madonna Just Got a Red X Inked on Her Arm and She Drank Wine to Numb the Pain - Us Weekly - May 4th, 2021
- Danny Trejo Reveals the Artist Behind His Iconic Chest Tattoo Actually Hated It (Exclusive) - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - May 4th, 2021
- Senior brings passion for art and tattoos to the campus community - The Hawk - May 4th, 2021
- Tattoo artist finds Robin Hoods Silver Arrow while magnet fishing in Sherwood Forest... - The Sun - May 4th, 2021
- Tattoo Peeling: What's Normal and How to Care for It in 2021 - Cosmopolitan - May 4th, 2021
- LeBron James gets tattoo of 'the big 3' with Lakers return near - New York Post - May 4th, 2021
- 6 Fresh Nail Art Ideas From Around the World - Allure - May 4th, 2021
- Mothers Day Gift ideas with Jeremiah David Stroup - KOIN.com - May 4th, 2021
- Madonna Shows Off Results Of Second Ever Tattoo After Getting Inked On Instagram - HuffPost UK - May 4th, 2021
- This First-of-Its-Kind Temporary Tattoo Ink is Made to Fade - Freethink - April 19th, 2021
- Tattoo artist accused of spray painting businesses acquitted - KVRR - April 19th, 2021
- Anthony Audy, Vermont Tattoo Artist With Whimsical Style, Dies at 44 - The New York Times - April 19th, 2021
- Move over Kim K, SA tattoo artist Lew Williams is a global reality show star with stigmas to break - TimesLIVE - April 19th, 2021
- Donna Lombardi Of Black Ink Crew Talks Pausing On Tattooing, Being A Businesswoman And More - MadameNoire - April 19th, 2021
- Meet the tattoo artist who helps Vietnamese women healing from physical and emotional trauma - South China Morning Post - April 19th, 2021
- Things to Do Denver: Art Gallery Openings and Exhibits April 16 to 21, 2021 - Westword - April 19th, 2021
- No regrets? I tried the first ever made to fade tattoo - Dazed - April 19th, 2021
- Tattoo Aftercare Products Market Is Rising With COVID-19 Impact Analysis, Development, Forecast To 2021-2027 The Courier - The Courier - April 19th, 2021
- See how tattoo artwork has modified because the 18th century - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - April 4th, 2021
- See how tattoo art has changed since the 18th century - CNN - April 4th, 2021
- The human canvas: Young tattoo artist draws inspiration from the past: 'attack your dreams' - Pilot Tribune - April 4th, 2021
- 5 Best Tattoo Artists in Indianapolis - Kev's Best - April 4th, 2021
- 'Don't you have enough yet?': Justin Bieber's mom reacts to 'Peaches' singer's new neck tattoo - USA TODAY - April 4th, 2021
- Electric Tattoo: Love of art and 'forbidden fruit' drives Asbury Park studio - Asbury Park Press - April 4th, 2021
- 'Almost like a tsunami': How Wilmington tattoo shops are thriving during the pandemic - StarNewsOnline.com - April 4th, 2021
- ONE YEAR GONE | Welch is back in business at Town's End Tattoo - Port Townsend Leader - April 4th, 2021
- Blazing Trails: Women Who Left Their Marks on the Art World - Cheddar - April 4th, 2021
- 33 Celebrities Who Regret Their Tattoos - Women's Health - April 4th, 2021
- Screen Time at the Worlds First Physical NFT Gallery, Whatever That Means - Vulture - April 4th, 2021
- Martin County resident and pet tree frog garner national attention as the 2021 Cadbury Easter Bunny - TCPalm - April 4th, 2021
- Tattoo fan spends 8k on ink and body mods including eyeballs and split tongue - Daily Star - April 4th, 2021
- Get Inked At 12 Of Auckland's Best Tattoo Studios | Urban List NZ - The Urban List - April 4th, 2021
- A Guide to All of Drake's 35 Tattoos and Their Meanings - menshealth.com - March 8th, 2021
- Tattoo artist restores Stations of the Cross in Belarus - Catholic News Agency - March 8th, 2021
- Jason Terry shares how he got the Larry O'Brien trophy tattoo - Basketball Network - March 8th, 2021
- How Alisha Gory Moved to the US On Her Own and Established Herself as a Famous Tattoo Artist - Daily Front Row - March 8th, 2021
- Who is Elle Kings husband? Know everything about the tattoo artist - Republic TV - March 8th, 2021
- Local Tattoo shop is seeing business boom amid the pandemic - WTHITV.com - March 8th, 2021