Limited access to public studios and fears surrounding COVID-19 have set the stage for local artists to develop their own in-home studios
Last year, Malcolm Westmoor was operating a music studio inside a desolate office spacealongside fellow artist Tune$quad. It wasnt much, but the two craftsmen, working under the name Palace Recordings, circulated a small clientele base until operations slowed as the country wrestled with the effects of the novel coronavirus.
By March, most traditional studios temporarily ceased operations waiting for the moment to pass, which left local artists desperate to find places to record and someone capable of capturing their sound. Luckily, a few of these people were able to connect with Westmoor, who grew his clientele base from four artists to dozens in a matter of months using a stripped-down, DIY setup.
Westmoor, known as artist Yogi Split, eventually moved from the office space, relocating his equipment to a two-bedroom apartment for six months, where he used curtains as door dividers and three mattresses to form an enclosed booth.
Before then, Westmoor was forced to flex his artistic muscle moving from house-to-house, with the 24-year-old meeting local artists in their residence to record and mix songs as he prepared his in-home studio.
My clients have been very understanding of my situation, Westmoor said. Theyre like Oh, were in the office today? Oh, were in an apartment today? A house today? It doesnt matter. Im very grateful to have clients that would probably record with me in a cardboard box if they saw a laptop and a microphone.
Westmoor put the finishing touches on his home studio in September and has since reestablished the same presence he had at the start of quarantine.
The setup is fairly makeshift, Westmoor said, but his clients are as grateful for the space as he feels running it. For many, this unstructured business model would breed a sense of instability, but Westmoor is living the lifestyle hes sought out for years.
Man, this is priceless, he said. I think back to what I gained and its a deep sense of fulfillment because at this point Im not really chasing being happy. I found something supposedly we dont get to find before we die, and I was able to find this by age 21. And I manifested it into something that could carry me for the rest of my life.
Artist Inky Jamez said it was love at first ear when he started collaborating with Westmoor. And despite the shifts in Westmoors production space, Jamez (born Chris Jordan) remains willing to meet Westmoor wherever his services take him.
I understand this as a tattoo artist: If youre good at what you do, it doesnt matter where youre at, Jamez said. When I work with other engineers, and it can be the nicest studio, if we dont have that connection, the song is not going to have what it needs.
Prior to the pandemic and its associated restrictions, artist ayelookitsBrady rarely booked studio time, but the arrival of COVID-19 led him to invest in building his own in-home studio. Over the course of the pandemic, he equipped his one-bedroom apartment with a new desktop, computer software, monitors and low lighting to accommodate for his slight synesthesia a neurological condition that can affect sensory pathways like vision.
Between April to October 2020, ayelookitsBRADY (Demerus Taylor) crafted his recent album Not Sorry, released in December, and compiled more than 110 songs between his own tracks and ones he recorded with other artists. Now, the musician feels he can make any song he wants, a level of confidence he said he didnt have this same time last year.
I feel like I wouldve never tapped into that if the pandemic never happened, ayelookitsBRADY said. I feel like I wouldve always toyed and played with the idea That didnt happen until this year, and I think over that time period, having worked with so many people in my house and with people sending me stuff, I was able to really work on mixing and mastering to the point I feel like I can work at a full studio full-time.
AyelookitsBRADY said DIY studios ultimately kept the music scene alive, creating small artistic brigades across the citys musical landscape.
They have made it much more convenient way of making music, ayelookitsBRADY said of these artists and engineers who have formed small, collaborative groups. Its our version of working from home.
Westmoor said hes heard too many horror stories about local studio spaces, with artists expressing frustration toward local engineers who overcharge for their services and dont appear to appreciate the genre.
I think a lot of these studios ... theyre not serious. Theyre jokes. They smoke weed all the time. They do this and they do that, Westmoor said. For me, hip-hop is the fast-growing and biggest genre in the world, so why would I disrespect someone trying to cultivate that? Because theres probably an in for me from a business standpoint.
Westmoor said hes seen more people shift toward a DIY setup because of self-sufficiency, and he believes more artists will be driven to in-home studios for comfort, collaboration and more reasonable price points.
I definitely see more artists moving toward the DIY setup because of how people are reacting to quarantine, but I also think thats the direction people are going to because of life, he said. Peoples journeys will take them to having a microphone in their house.
- Scar Cover-Up Tattoos Help Women Regain Confidence in Their Bodies - My Modern Met - June 9th, 2021
- How a New Generation of Queer Artists and Patrons Are Redefining Tattoo Culture on Their Own Terms - Vogue - June 9th, 2021
- Tattoo artist goes viral on TikTok with the story of a woman's perfect revenge on her cheating boyfriend - TAG24 NEWS - June 9th, 2021
- A fan pays tribute to Nikola Jokic by getting a tattoo of his patent move the 'Sombor Shuffle' - Basketball Network - June 9th, 2021
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson, 30, and wife Sam, 54, show off matching tattoos - Page Six - June 9th, 2021
- 'Alice the rat was so special': readers on their brilliant, beloved pet tattoos - The Guardian - June 9th, 2021
- Everything You Need to Know Before Getting a Face Tattoo - AskMen - June 9th, 2021
- Help Wanted: An airbrush artist to save the summer - theday.com - June 9th, 2021
- Dining and Dreaming at the Blind Salamander RV Park - Bon Appetit - June 9th, 2021
- Getting an unwanted tattoo removed: what you need to know - Euro Weekly News - June 9th, 2021
- The Stoner Comedy That Honors a 9/11 Firefighter - Rare.us - June 9th, 2021
- Champions of Pride 2021: The West Coast - Advocate.com - Advocate.com - June 9th, 2021
- Tattooed bride and groom flaunt ink as they pose with pal on leash for wedding day - Daily Star - June 9th, 2021
- Justin Bieber and Drake's tattoo artist is the skin guru you need to know - Los Angeles Times - May 28th, 2021
- What you need to know to become a tattoo artist - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle - May 28th, 2021
- Woman spends $45k to cover body in one tattoo - NEWS.com.au - May 28th, 2021
- Can Tattoos Cause Cancer? The Health Risks of Inking - Healthline - May 28th, 2021
- Yang Zhen Lee's trauma-informed tattooing prioritizes boundaries and trust - PGH City Paper - May 28th, 2021
- The Skin I'm In - INKED - May 28th, 2021
- Dalton, Ga.'s Jones to host show on tattoos that debuts Friday on Fox Nation - Moultrie Observer - May 28th, 2021
- American Exchange Group signs on as Licensee for Ed Hardy in Watches, Jewelry, Handbag, and Accessories Categories - PRNewswire - May 28th, 2021
- Everything You Need To Know About Made-To-Fade Semi-Permanent Tattoos - GLAMOUR UK - May 28th, 2021
- 30 Sureal 3D Tattoos Ideas to Try (2021) - The Trend Spotter - May 28th, 2021
- The tattooing culture of the Americas - Times of Malta - May 28th, 2021
- Teen Mom Briana DeJesus reveals shes moving out of $269k family home to live with fiance Javi and her tw... - The US Sun - May 28th, 2021
- Im a mum-of-three with my body & face COVERED in tattoos Ive even inked my lips... - The US Sun - May 28th, 2021
- The 8 Most Tatted Up Rockers - Popdust - May 28th, 2021
- Amber Luke, Whose Body Is 98% Tattooed, Covers Them With Makeup - BroBible - May 28th, 2021
- How tattoos have evolved in different cultures throughout history - Euro Weekly News - May 28th, 2021
- Jada Pinkett Smith Agrees to Get Matching Tattoos With Willow and Gammy on 'Red Table Talk' (Exclusive) - KVUE.com - May 28th, 2021
- 19 Actors Who Actually Got Tattoos To Honor Their Movie And TV Roles - BuzzFeed - May 16th, 2021
- Kourtney Kardashian Tattoos I Love You on Boyfriend Travis Barkers Arm and Fans Are Freaking Out - Us Weekly - May 16th, 2021
- The Inked Huntress Tattoo Studio is making its mark in Fargo - INFORUM - May 16th, 2021
- Perfectly Drawn Tattoos Look Like Stickers Placed on the Skin - My Modern Met - May 16th, 2021
- 20 Celebrities Who Got Tattoos To Honor Their Movie/TV Roles - FandomWire - May 16th, 2021
- Keith Urban Was At Mall Food Court When Taylor Swift Texted About Collab | The Bobby Bones Show | The Bobby Bones Show - iHeartRadio - May 16th, 2021
- The Story Behind One of the Oldest Art Glass Studios in the US - Hyperallergic - May 16th, 2021
- Mark Tuan on Experimenting With His Solo Aesthetic and Skin Care | Interview - Allure - May 16th, 2021
- Take folk art wherever you go with Redemption Tattoo or display a Santa for every season with the help of Vaillancourt Folk Art - WCVB Boston - May 16th, 2021
- Why is this Fayetteville tattoo artist getting so much attention on TikTok? - The Fayetteville Observer - May 4th, 2021
- Scar tissue: Vietnamese women find healing with tattoos - The Japan Times - May 4th, 2021
- Gypsy Carver Brings Ideas to Life - Thelaker - May 4th, 2021
- Madonna Just Got a Red X Inked on Her Arm and She Drank Wine to Numb the Pain - Us Weekly - May 4th, 2021
- Danny Trejo Reveals the Artist Behind His Iconic Chest Tattoo Actually Hated It (Exclusive) - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - May 4th, 2021
- Senior brings passion for art and tattoos to the campus community - The Hawk - May 4th, 2021
- Tattoo artist finds Robin Hoods Silver Arrow while magnet fishing in Sherwood Forest... - The Sun - May 4th, 2021
- Tattoo Peeling: What's Normal and How to Care for It in 2021 - Cosmopolitan - May 4th, 2021
- LeBron James gets tattoo of 'the big 3' with Lakers return near - New York Post - May 4th, 2021
- 6 Fresh Nail Art Ideas From Around the World - Allure - May 4th, 2021
- Mothers Day Gift ideas with Jeremiah David Stroup - KOIN.com - May 4th, 2021
- Madonna Shows Off Results Of Second Ever Tattoo After Getting Inked On Instagram - HuffPost UK - May 4th, 2021
- This First-of-Its-Kind Temporary Tattoo Ink is Made to Fade - Freethink - April 19th, 2021
- Tattoo artist accused of spray painting businesses acquitted - KVRR - April 19th, 2021
- Anthony Audy, Vermont Tattoo Artist With Whimsical Style, Dies at 44 - The New York Times - April 19th, 2021
- Move over Kim K, SA tattoo artist Lew Williams is a global reality show star with stigmas to break - TimesLIVE - April 19th, 2021
- Donna Lombardi Of Black Ink Crew Talks Pausing On Tattooing, Being A Businesswoman And More - MadameNoire - April 19th, 2021
- Meet the tattoo artist who helps Vietnamese women healing from physical and emotional trauma - South China Morning Post - April 19th, 2021
- Things to Do Denver: Art Gallery Openings and Exhibits April 16 to 21, 2021 - Westword - April 19th, 2021
- No regrets? I tried the first ever made to fade tattoo - Dazed - April 19th, 2021
- Tattoo Aftercare Products Market Is Rising With COVID-19 Impact Analysis, Development, Forecast To 2021-2027 The Courier - The Courier - April 19th, 2021
- See how tattoo artwork has modified because the 18th century - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - April 4th, 2021
- See how tattoo art has changed since the 18th century - CNN - April 4th, 2021
- The human canvas: Young tattoo artist draws inspiration from the past: 'attack your dreams' - Pilot Tribune - April 4th, 2021
- 5 Best Tattoo Artists in Indianapolis - Kev's Best - April 4th, 2021
- 'Don't you have enough yet?': Justin Bieber's mom reacts to 'Peaches' singer's new neck tattoo - USA TODAY - April 4th, 2021
- Electric Tattoo: Love of art and 'forbidden fruit' drives Asbury Park studio - Asbury Park Press - April 4th, 2021
- 'Almost like a tsunami': How Wilmington tattoo shops are thriving during the pandemic - StarNewsOnline.com - April 4th, 2021
- ONE YEAR GONE | Welch is back in business at Town's End Tattoo - Port Townsend Leader - April 4th, 2021
- Blazing Trails: Women Who Left Their Marks on the Art World - Cheddar - April 4th, 2021
- 33 Celebrities Who Regret Their Tattoos - Women's Health - April 4th, 2021
- Screen Time at the Worlds First Physical NFT Gallery, Whatever That Means - Vulture - April 4th, 2021
- Martin County resident and pet tree frog garner national attention as the 2021 Cadbury Easter Bunny - TCPalm - April 4th, 2021
- Tattoo fan spends 8k on ink and body mods including eyeballs and split tongue - Daily Star - April 4th, 2021
- Get Inked At 12 Of Auckland's Best Tattoo Studios | Urban List NZ - The Urban List - April 4th, 2021
- A Guide to All of Drake's 35 Tattoos and Their Meanings - menshealth.com - March 8th, 2021
- Tattoo artist restores Stations of the Cross in Belarus - Catholic News Agency - March 8th, 2021
- Jason Terry shares how he got the Larry O'Brien trophy tattoo - Basketball Network - March 8th, 2021
- How Alisha Gory Moved to the US On Her Own and Established Herself as a Famous Tattoo Artist - Daily Front Row - March 8th, 2021
- Who is Elle Kings husband? Know everything about the tattoo artist - Republic TV - March 8th, 2021
- Local Tattoo shop is seeing business boom amid the pandemic - WTHITV.com - March 8th, 2021