@Meicrosoft not the rolling fields of green desktop screen and the shrill start-up noise of Windows XP kind but the self-confessed over-sharing internet kid and make-up artist known as Mei Pang a name youll definitely recognise from your FYP if youre a TikTok fanatic. In just over two months, the Canadian star has amassed an audience of over 700k followers on the platform, documenting her eccentric and ethereal make-up looks from butterflies to barbed wire.
Launching my TikTok felt like the next organic step for me, she explains, following on from the success of make-up on Instagram and YouTube. I was so scared starting my TikTok because I know its a younger demographic, I know there are so many eyes, that when I stepped into the game so late, and looking like this, I didnt know how well received I would be.
Revered for her 80+ tattoos each of them symmetrical and her shaved head, Pang is using her image to overcome the restrictive structures she felt growing up. I lived in a primarily Caucasian town outside of Toronto, and I was one of the only Asian kids in my high school. I know a lot of people get bullied in school, but for me, it was very racially charged I always say Im too Asian for the white kids and too white for the Asian kids. Im this weird mix because my family didnt teach me Mandarin or anything about my culture because they wanted me to be as Western as possible, she tells us.
From sharing her yoga practices, her intricate portraits to her virally acclaimed cat Latte, Mei Pang talks on her journey to becoming a make-up artist and the virtual beauty world.
Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and what it was like growing up in Canada?
Mei Pang: I grew up in a very hyper-religious all-girls private school and figuring out my identity in such a structured environment, I felt like I had no choice but to rebel. I was always getting into trouble, but beyond that, I never really had the time to figure out who I was and that made me angry on the inside. So I left home when I was 14/15, I bounced around a lot and after graduating high school, I got accepted into art school in Toronto and Ive now been here for six years.
What was your time like as an art student? Was it during this time that you got into make-up?
Mei Pang: I didnt finish Im your classic art school dropout. I went to school for drawing and painting with a minor in screen printing, but thats pretty much all I got out of it. Going to art school made me realise it wasnt my lifelong dream, more of a creative release, and I think art school itself killed my motivation because of the structure. I felt those restrictions again like I did in school and so when I left, I still wanted to pick up a brush. But this time, rather a brush on a canvas, it was a brush on your face.
I still wanted to pick up a brush. But this time, rather a brush on a canvas, it was a brush on your face Mei Pang
Can you remember when you first started using make-up? Whats your earliest beauty related memory?
Mei Pang: It was definitely through the internet; through MySpace, DailyBooth, Tumblr. The internet made me realise that theres more to make-up than just simple eyeliner and pink lipstick. I was your typical MySpace scene kid. I was such an emo, with the black eyeliner and every single colour of hair. Im one of the lucky ones who first experienced the rise of make-up on YouTube with people like Michelle Phan and RCL Beauty 101. Then I got my first make-up retail job maybe five years ago and I was a stock girl so I wasnt even on the floor. I was seeing all of my co-workers glammed up in these beautiful looks, when I didnt have that much experience. I was so inspired by them I started to come to work with more fun looks and then rose through the ranks, got on the floor and its all been uphill from here.
Where do you find the inspiration for your looks?
Mei Pang: Definitely from my friends on the internet world. We push each other. Also, most of my inspiration comes from fashion. I take so much from graphics and prints, especially animal print or retro looks from a couch that Ive seen on the side of the street and I think to myself, I can probably put that on my eyes; it gives me the most chance to play with colour.
Youre recognised on TikTok for your make-up but also your tattoos. Is there a message behind them?
Mei Pang: The quick run-down about all my tattoos is that theyre symmetrical. What you see on one side, you see on the other. When I got my second tattoo, I walked out of the shop and I felt a bit lopsided and heavier on one side and the biggest thing I try to tell people about getting them is that I have a strong belief that not all tattoos need to have meaning.
You talk candidly across your platforms and share your life from your yoga practices to your cat Latte. How has it helped you grow creatively and how does it feel sharing your life through the internet?
Mei Pang: The reason why I didnt start my TikTok for the longest time is because when I opened up the app, maybe over a year ago, I saw the platform itself and the editing features and thought Im too old for this, I don't understand what Im looking at. And I see all these people do like these amazing, amazing things with the videos because for me, my bread and butter is my Instagram and thats just still photos, then YouTube its long-form content of me talking. So Im like, let's challenge this whole 60-second thing. I think its helped me grow up a lot, just trying new things with transitions and now my music taste! I probably get all my new songs on TikTok. I've definitely grown in that aspect of just being able to now try new short-form videos.
Do you find it hard to switch off?
Mei Pang: As a Virgo woman with an Aquarius moon? Absolutely.
What advice would you give to somebody who wants to hone their skills as a creative/MUA?
Mei Pang: I probably say this maybe once every couple days to myself and its from my Dad. He always told me: try everything once. If it sticks, it sticks. If it doesnt, at least you tried. And thats essentially my whole mantra, thats why I shaved off my hair, why Ive gotten all these tattoos, and Ive worn some pretty questionable things. If I try and dont like it, at least I know. My advice to MUAs would be not to get discouraged. Ive seen a lot of my friends trying to grow online and its just not happening. When I started my Instagram, I got one follower a day or then lost a bunch and then one day it just changed. Its just learning to be patient. Try everything once, go out of your comfort zone and just experiment with different makeup styles.
How do you think the beauty industry has been impacted by TikTok and social media?
Mei Pang: Its insane. One person can say one thing about this one product and next thing you know its sold out instantly. I feel like the beauty industry has also grown in that if we didnt have social media, Im not sure wed have the diversity. Whereas before it, even going into drugstores and looking for your foundation shade would be so difficult. Whereas with social media, theres so many different faces and voices; its expanding and giving so many opportunities for so many. What I hope for during this time that people are stuck at home is that while theyre baking bread and making pottery, I hope that a lot of people have started playing with makeup and having fun. I hope to see new faces on my Discover page.
Try everything once, go out of your comfort zone and just experiment with different makeup styles Mei Pang
If you could collaborate with anyone dead or alive, who would it be and why?
Mei Pang: Definitely be Leigh Bowery, the icon of the Club Kid era. Theres one look where Bowery had acrylic paint just dripping from their head down and I thought it was the sickest thing Ive ever seen in my entire life.
What does beauty mean to you?
Mei Pang: The concept of beauty to me is whatever makes people feel comfortable and cosy. I dress quite subtly but this is just how I feel beautiful its having no hair and having a bunch of tattoos that makes me truly feel like myself and at peace.
Follow this link:
- The Ron Swanson Mistake You Never Noticed In Parks And Recreation - Looper - April 4th, 2021
- Ireland Baldwin Reveals Creative Use For David Bowie Tattoo - The Inquisitr News - April 4th, 2021
- Watch Travis Barkers Daughter Alabama Cover Up His Face Tattoos With Makeup - menshealth.com - April 4th, 2021
- Is There KVD Beauty Without Kat Von D? - The Business of Fashion - March 8th, 2021
- What Is Microshading? Heres What To Know About the No-Maintenance, Feathery Brows Everyones Talking About - Well+Good - March 8th, 2021
- Jennifer Aniston finally reveals the meaning behind her '11 11' wrist tattoo - Cosmopolitan UK - March 8th, 2021
- Popular new makeup products to try in 2021 - Belfast Live - February 19th, 2021
- Woman Reacts To Seeing Boyfriend For First Time Without Tattoo-Covered Face - BroBible - February 19th, 2021
- Test Pattern Director Shatara Michelle Ford on Making Their First Film and Being Emotionally Truthful - TheStranger.com - February 19th, 2021
- Here's Why Jeffree Star's 'Delicious' Neck Tattoo Is One Of His Favorites - TheThings - February 17th, 2021
- Blue Light Body Arts to open on the bricks in spring - Hays Daily News - February 17th, 2021
- Exploring the ever-diminishing returns of the Crow franchise - The Spool - February 14th, 2021
- 'Justice League': Check out Jared Leto's freaky Joker in the trailer for Zack Snyder's new HBO Max cut - USA TODAY - February 14th, 2021
- JUSTICE LEAGUE Director Zack Snyder Addresses Absence Of The Joker's SUICIDE SQUAD Tattoos In The Snyder Cut - CBM (Comic Book Movie) - February 11th, 2021
- Zack Snyder explains why Joker's tattoos were removed in Justice League - Explica - February 11th, 2021
- How TikTok communists are reclaiming the hammer and sickle - i-D - February 11th, 2021
- Why Leto's Joker Doesn't Have His "Damaged" Tattoo In Justice League - Screen Rant - February 10th, 2021
- Site of the day: Want a tattoo? You have to download this app - Explica - February 10th, 2021
- Salma Hayek Shows off Chest Tattoos for New Movie 'Bliss' - PopCulture.com - February 7th, 2021
- The rise of beauty enhancements and Maya Darwiche - Sunrise News - February 7th, 2021
- The eyes have it: Above-the-mask makeup sees pandemic surge - CBC.ca - February 7th, 2021
- BB14 promo: Salman Khan schools Abhinav for his choice of words; asks if he's 'going in the right direction' - Times Now - February 7th, 2021
- Tattoo Stamp - MILK MAKEUP | Sephora - February 6th, 2021
- Eye Studio Color Tattoo 24HR Cream Gel Eyeshadow - Maybelline - February 6th, 2021
- Salma Hayek flaunts new large tattoo and fans freak out - HOLA USA - February 6th, 2021
- Gigi Hadid Now Has A Tattoo Tribute To Baby Girl And It Matches Zayn Maliks - Capital - February 4th, 2021
- Bobrisky lavishes N596k while shopping for lady that tattooed him on her back - Legit.ng - February 4th, 2021
- Nick Carter of Backstreet Boys Covered Up His Paris Hilton Tattoo With a Skull and Crossbones - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 4th, 2021
- Two Singaporean women pioneering in the rise of hand-poked tattoos - News24 - February 4th, 2021
- Britney Spears Fans Concerned About Singers Well-Being After Her Latest Video Upload - The Inquisitr - February 4th, 2021
- Priyanka Chopra is a sight to behold as the bold and beautiful cover star of Elle UK - Bollywood Hungama - February 4th, 2021
- Promised Neverland: 10 Great Emma Cosplay You Have To See | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 4th, 2021
- The Multiple Personalities of Johnny Depp: The Smearing of Makeup and a Beloved Actors Career - Mandatory - February 2nd, 2021
- Hunter Schafer on the Reverb of Euphorias Makeup and Her Road-Trip Beauty Essentials - Vanity Fair - January 24th, 2021
- BTS' Jungkook reveals tattoos on show and fans are excited to get a close-up view - CNA - January 24th, 2021
- Forget microblading... These eyebrow tattoo stickers are the in-thing - Jacaranda FM - January 24th, 2021
- Jurassic World: Age, Height, & 8 Other Things You Didn't Know About Jeff Goldblum - Screen Rant - January 24th, 2021
- Foundation getting in the way of your natural freckles? Here's how you can make them pop again - News24 - January 20th, 2021
- Forget Shoes, It's About the Lipstick: Hollywood Stylists Share Lessons Learned From Working in a Pandemic - Hollywood Reporter - January 15th, 2021
- This designer is giving the ancient art of henna a modern makeover - CNN - January 15th, 2021
- Apex Legends: 10 Loba Cosplays That Prove She Is The Best Character - TheGamer - January 15th, 2021
- New fashion trend went viral, women tattooing tattoos to hide dark circles and stretch mark - Primetime - January 12th, 2021
- Makeup trends 2021 | Beauty - MAG THE WEEKLY - Mag The Weekly Magazine - January 12th, 2021
- Assassins Creed Valhalla: 10 Female Eivor Cosplays That Are Battle-Ready - TheGamer - January 12th, 2021
- Justin Bieber Covered Up All His Tattoos for the Anyone Music Video and the Video Is Mesmerizing to Watch - Us Weekly - January 9th, 2021
- Fans Think Cardi B Deserves A Superhero Name | TheThings - TheThings - January 9th, 2021
- Priyanka Chopra In Trouble With UK Cops After Breaking Lockdown Rules - Talent Recap - January 9th, 2021
- Nikita Dragun Masters The Underboob Look In Metallic Bandeau Top With Matching Thigh-High Slit Skirt - The Inquisitr News - January 3rd, 2021
- Justin Bieber Shared a Video of Himself Getting His Tattoos Covered Up for His New "Anyone" Music Video Watch - Allure - January 3rd, 2021
- Prateik Babbar experiments with his hair colour again, goes from red to blue - Republic World - December 28th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077: 5 Things That Make No Sense About V (& 5 Fan Theories That Really Do) - TheGamer - December 28th, 2020
- Fashion trends that originated from other cultures - Los Angeles Times - December 28th, 2020
- 89 Best Truth or Dare Questions and Dares - Teen Vogue - December 28th, 2020
- Louisa Johnson Showcases Chest Tattoo In Low-Cut White Top For A Series Of Close-Up Snaps - The Inquisitr - December 23rd, 2020
- Get the Look: a gold mine of information about gilded makeup looks - Irish Examiner - December 21st, 2020
- Replicating Success In The ECommerce World: A Case Study With James Khuri - Forbes - December 21st, 2020
- Pete Davidson is reportedly in the process of removing all of his tattoos - 21-Dec-2020 - NZ Entertainment news - NZCity - December 21st, 2020
- TRIED & TESTED: "I got my eyebrows tattooed with a freehand blade. Here's how it went." - Mamamia - December 18th, 2020
- Permanent Makeup Information: Eyeliner, Lipstick, and More - December 18th, 2020
- People Have a Lot of Feelings About Pete Davidson Removing All of His Tattoos - POPSUGAR - December 17th, 2020
- Are Hair and Beauty Salons Allowed to Be Open in Tier 3? - POPSUGAR United Kingdom - December 17th, 2020
- Docs with Tattoos: More Relatable to Patients? - MedPage Today - December 14th, 2020
- Keep Your Eye On These Young Designers From Around the World - W Magazine - December 3rd, 2020
- Carmen Electra, 48, Nearly Bursts Out Of Plunging Corset While Caressing Her Chest - The Inquisitr - November 26th, 2020
- 7 of the best and 6 of the worst beauty trends of the year, so far - INSIDER - November 25th, 2020
- Guns N Roses Stars Daughter Draws All Eyes To Her Backside As She Strikes A Sultry Pose With ... - Metalhead Zone - November 25th, 2020
- Gen-Z is finding alternatives to traditional mental health resources through social media - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 21st, 2020
- KVD Vegan Beauty Debuts Holiday 2020 with First-Ever Fully-Recycled Eyeshadow Palette, Dazzling Shadows Sticks, Vegan Lashes and a Plethora of... - November 20th, 2020
- Astanza Wins Top Aesthetic Company, Best Laser Service and Training, and Best Laser Company to Work For in the Aesthetic Everything 2020 Aesthetic and... - November 20th, 2020
- Valeria Micropigmentation Is One of The Most Trusted Solution for Permanent Makeup - Press Release - Digital Journal - November 18th, 2020
- Revealed: The Get The Gloss Beauty and Wellness Awards 2020 winners - Get The Gloss - November 18th, 2020
- Queen Icon Roger Taylors Daughter Tiger Lily Looks Sexy In Red, Shows A Secret Tattoo And Explains ... - Metalhead Zone - November 18th, 2020
- New Zealand has just elected one of the most diverse parliaments in the world. Here's how it stacks up - KESQ - November 18th, 2020
- Cardi B Puts Her Colorful Leg Tattoo on Display in a Red Reebok Outfit from Her New Collection - AmoMama - November 16th, 2020
- Lee Sang Yeob Hilariously Pretends To Be Bentley From The Future On The Return Of Superman - soompi - November 16th, 2020
- Tejaswini Pandit Flaunts A Rare Barcode Tattoo, Fans Wonder What Scanning It Will Lead To? - Zee Kannada - November 12th, 2020
- Chris Evans Has 9 Hidden Tattoos Here's What They Mean - POPSUGAR - November 11th, 2020
- Assassins Creed Valhalla Will Feature Photo Mode at Launch. Know All The Updates Right Here ! - Stanford Arts Review - November 9th, 2020
- 'Welcome to Plathville': The Plaths Are More Divided Than Ever in the Season 2 Sneak Peek Moriah Calls Her Parents' House a 'Cage,' Ethan Gets a... - November 9th, 2020
- 'The Serbs stared at us, so we stared back. They have no awareness of fat people' - Haaretz.com - November 9th, 2020