Another writer once told me they found violence rippling beneath some of my short stories. I was glad theyd highlighted it. Growing up in Northern Ireland during the Troubles, violence was rife. It dominated the news channels. Even if my stories arent overt in their portrayal of it, it makes sense to me that the threat would be there. Or the fear of it. Or the lasting damage.
Lately, my short stories have developed a more satirical voice, but that is not to say I dont still write about violence, be it political, domestic, violence against women Violence was one of the main themes in my debut novel, The Bones of It, just as it is evident in my DI Harriet Sloane police procedural series.
In the first book of the series, The Sleeping Season, Harriet Sloane the middle-class protagonist seems to have it all. Harry is flying in her career. Yes, she has to fit in with the boys club at the PSNI, but she is smart, quick-witted and more than capable. Behind the scenes Harry is living with the lasting effects of having been in a toxic, violent relationship.
Even though she is a detective, who knows the law especially well - her mother was one of the first female judges in Northern Ireland - Harry doesnt trust the law enough to press charges against her own abuser, her ex-husband, who has been stalking her.
The Sleeping Season was published last March and is set in autumn 2016. I hoped that space in time would show how things once were but Im not sure there have been many changes. While, thankfully, stalking is recognised more since I wrote The Sleeping Season, Northern Ireland is still the only region of the UK or Ireland without stalking legislation.
Harrys backstory is another character in the series. Just like Belfast itself. Book one centred around the case of a missing four-year-old boy. Book two, Problems with Girls, sees DI Sloane over a year later, working on a new case where a young female activist has been found murdered in a political office. DI Sloane and the rest of the team in Strandtown PSNI station, East Belfast, soon join the dots and start to realise that there is someone out there who is targeting young women.
Something similar happened lately in Belfast. A man on a bicycle went around striking and stabbing young women. Unnerving and upsetting, it reminded me that, like in the book, there are individuals who target people based on their gender and age. In another recent local case, the judge branded the offender a misogynist. The first time I have ever heard the obvious recognised so pointedly.
Problems with Girls was always planned to be set in May 2018. When that time came around I wanted to reflect what was happening in our society. I knew that I was writing a book about young women being targets of violence. Timing would have it that the Belfast (rugby) rape trial happened the month before, the #ibelieveher rallies that took place shortly after were still fresh images. The result f the Repeal the 8th referendum is revealed during the course of the novel, which was also relevant to the series.
Around that time I read that young women were the most invisible demographic in Northern Ireland. I have said before how the lasting legacy for children of the Troubles, though statistics have tended to focus on how the conflict affected males, is devastating. In The Bones of It, Scott, the novels narrator, notes this and ponders to himself whether women werent affected.
The lack of genuine interest in how conflict has affected girls here is painful. Not until Anna Burns Milkman had I visited through literature the ways in which the Troubles had certainly affected women, in both overt and subtle detail. I have addressed some of the ways myself in Problems with Girls.
And yes, I used the word girls in the title, which was only in part a nod to the trend, as there have been many crime novels with girl in the title. There was a decade-long gap between James Pattersons 1995 Kiss the Girls and Stieg Larssons 2005 hit The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, another break and then we saw a sudden surge; from Gillian Flynns Gone Girl to Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter, to Megan Mirandas All the Missing Girls. And many more.
The title actually derived from watching documentaries about the Me Too movement; I kept hearing friends of alleged offenders say, he was known to have problems with girls. I wrote this phrase down. Of course I was aware that the title had the word girl in it, and how popular and contentious that can be, but the phrase itself is loaded. The term Problems with Girls means much more than criminal misogyny.
Girls in crime fiction are usually women. Historically we have read about the icy blonde femme fatale character with the hourglass figure, or the other female character, the victim; who was usually a beautiful young dead woman.
Crime fiction once had an obsession with the dead female form. As readers, we have not always learned who the victim really was. Nowadays crime fiction has more awareness. We have feminist thrillers. It makes sense; women have a huge appetite for crime fiction.
As the DI Sloane series progresses, I want to both entertain my readers and make them think. I may cover serious subjects, as crime fiction does, but like all crime fiction set in Northern Ireland, we writers have a knack of balancing it out with bags of dark humour. Its far from doom and gloom; crime fiction showcases resilience of character and ultimately hope. Readers enter into a contract with the author of police procedurals knowing there has to be justice, in the end. At least with fiction you can trust there will be that.
Kelly Creighton is a crime writer and short story writer living in Co Down. Problems with Girlsis published by Friday Press, 9.99.
- Heres The Full Story Behind That Viral TikTok Of A Girl Getting Upskirted At A Syd Tattoo Shop - Pedestrian TV - April 19th, 2021
- Ruby Rose on gender, bullying and breaking free: I had a problem with authority - The Guardian - April 4th, 2021
- Traditional Croatian Tattoos: Meet the tattoo artist keeping tradition alive - Croatia Week - March 8th, 2021
- David and Victoria Beckham Have a Matching Hebrew Tattoo Here's What It Means - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 8th, 2021
- Exotic Body Works celebrates 25th anniversary - Hammonton Gazette - February 14th, 2021
- Gigi Hadid and Zayn Malik now have matching tattoos in honour of their daughter Emirates Woman - Emirates Woman - February 11th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Irish Sun - February 11th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Sun - February 10th, 2021
- 10 Celebs Who Have Finger Tattoos | TheThings - TheThings - February 7th, 2021
- Kamala Harris' Stepdaughter Ella Emhoff Is Making Waves Get To Know The Rising Model In 5 Snaps - OK! - February 4th, 2021
- New Movies to Watch This Week: Supernova, The Little Things, Palmer - Variety - February 2nd, 2021
- Cops investigated kidnappings, extortions, teen runaways across California. Victims all ended up at same motel, forced into sex trafficking, feds say... - January 27th, 2021
- 'Miss Scarlet and the Duke' Recap: Episode 2 - WTTW News - January 25th, 2021
- The tattoo on her arm said it all: Grace Orzechowski was a fighter - Concord Monitor - January 20th, 2021
- Modern, Edgy And Bold: Different Bob Cuts For Girls To Try - Femina - January 15th, 2021
- What's New on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Disney+, and More in January 2021 - TV Guide - January 15th, 2021
- KVD Vegan Beauty Announces Launch of Limited-Edition Tattoo Liner with Global Organization, Girl Up - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2021
- Sonakshi Sinha Paints The Town Yellow in an Embroidered Cape Set from the Shelves of Arpita Mehta Worth Rs 39 - India.com - January 12th, 2021
- Musician tattoo stories | Wild and funny tattoos - Alternative Press - January 12th, 2021
- 40+ YA Book Cover Artists and Designers to Follow on Instagram - Book Riot - January 12th, 2021
- FIRST LOOK: Meet the contestants for new reality dating show The Cabins - FM104 - January 5th, 2021
- The Cabins cast: Meet all the contestants in the winter Love Island dating show - The Sun - January 5th, 2021
- What's New on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Disney+, and More in January 2021 - TV Guide - January 3rd, 2021
- Gothika Ending, Explained | Why Did Miranda See the Boy's Ghost? - The Cinemaholic - December 31st, 2020
- Tour Tales | Crowned YB shares untold stories of shooting Dave East around the world - REVOLT TV - December 31st, 2020
- An Interview with Gareth Johnson MP by Neve Wilson, Dartford Grammar School for Girls - This is Local London - December 31st, 2020
- Everything coming to and leaving Netflix in January 2021 - Fox News - December 28th, 2020
- Well At Least Some Positives for Women in 2020 - The Citizen - December 27th, 2020
- Jollof Couscous & Leather Jackets: Inside The Mind Of Enny - British Vogue - December 25th, 2020
- This is Justin Vernon from Bon Ivers favourite song of all time - Far Out Magazine - December 25th, 2020
- Family beg dad who disappeared after saying he was 'going away' to call this Christmas - Liverpool Echo - December 25th, 2020
- Shows like Black Widows that you may like; from Django Unchained to Gone Girl & more - Republic World - December 25th, 2020
- Michaela Garechts mother reacts to arrest of suspect in 1988 Hayward kidnapping of 9-year-old daughter - San Francisco Chronicle - December 25th, 2020
- The Interview Gift Guide That Gives Back - Interview - December 23rd, 2020
- 25 Feather Tattoos for Girls in 2020 NewShables - December 21st, 2020
- How sexy these tattoos on intimate body parts of women ... - December 21st, 2020
- How I Met Your Mother: 10 Worst First Dates The Characters Had - Screen Rant - December 21st, 2020
- Sabrina Carpenter's Got Her Very First Tattoo, and It's a Reference to Her "Lucky" Life - POPSUGAR Beauty Austrailia - December 18th, 2020
- Whats New On Netflix In January: Night Stalker, History of Swear Words, Cobra Kai And More - BroBible - December 18th, 2020
- Roxanne First Shares Her Inspirations - Vanity Fair - December 16th, 2020
- So, What the Hell Folk Tales Is Taylor Swift Telling Now on evermore? - Vulture - December 12th, 2020
- The Work Diary of Mira Mariah, Tattoo and Girl Culture Expert - The New York Times - December 11th, 2020
- Strongest girl in the world: Meet the 7-year-old who can lift 80 kg - The Indian Express - December 11th, 2020
- Mum of twins divides opinion after tattooing one baby to help tell them apart - Heart - December 11th, 2020
- Three Oaks wants INKED to raise awareness - Toronto Star - December 11th, 2020
- [150+] Beautiful Wrist Tattoo Ideas ... - Tattoos for Girls - December 6th, 2020
- The girl with her own tattoos: the joy of homemade ink - The Guardian - December 6th, 2020
- 35 Hand Tattoos for Women | Cute Tattoos For Girls On Hand - December 6th, 2020
- Emily Viti's son has MPS and the Framingham High volleyball coach is fighting to find a cure for the terminal disease - Milford Daily News - December 6th, 2020
- Mara and Dona: Argentine twins a living tribute to soccer great - Reuters - November 28th, 2020
- Born into occupation, young Afghans fear the Taliban will crush their freedoms when US troops exit - Anchorage Daily News - November 23rd, 2020
- Environmental contest's winning displays and essays are on exhibit at Jeff Library - NOLA.com - November 18th, 2020
- Tiffany Calver: Living the dream | DJMag.com - DJ Mag - November 18th, 2020
- Blind date: 'We realised we have matching tattoos' - The Guardian - November 16th, 2020
- Tattooed twins from Germany (PHOTOS) - The Saxon - November 12th, 2020
- A Clover in weeds, loss, homelessness, beatings and love - Tucson Weekly - November 5th, 2020
- The Real Housewives of New York City's First-Ever Black Housewife Isn't Holding Back - The Daily Beast - November 3rd, 2020
- Every time Bollywood actresses proved that they are protective mothers - Times Now - November 3rd, 2020
- Broadley, BF girls three-peat on Thetford trail - Brattleboro Reformer - November 1st, 2020
- Jack Nowell: Would I get a tattoo of Eddie Jones? Only if he promises to pick me for every England game - iNews - October 31st, 2020
- Ronald Hall, Worcester man accused of human trafficking, kept women addicted to drugs and had his nickname ta - MassLive.com - October 30th, 2020
- Learner Dad: 'I need to get the kids to write an early Santa letter so they cant change their minds' - Irish Examiner - October 27th, 2020
- 133 Inspiring Cute and Small Tattoos Ideas for Girls - October 22nd, 2020
- 30 Beautiful Tattoos for Girls 2020 - Meaningful Tattoo ... - October 22nd, 2020
- Jill Duggar's Tattoo Opinions Have Changed, but Does She Have One? - Distractify - October 22nd, 2020
- Sophie Turner wears vote hoodie on stroll with Joe Jonas and baby girl - Metro.co.uk - October 22nd, 2020
- Jacqueline Jossa reveals her incredible singing voice in the car after admitting she wants to sing on stage - The Irish Sun - October 22nd, 2020
- Jacqueline Jossa reveals her incredible singing voice in the car after admitting she wants to sing on stage - The Sun - October 21st, 2020
- Vanessa Bryant reveals new tattoo dedicated to Kobe and their 4 girls (photo) - Rolling Out - October 16th, 2020
- Pomp it Up: On the wild side with Motley Crue - Pueblo Chieftain - October 16th, 2020
- Coronavirus is killing haunted houses, but we still have real horror stories to scare you - Detroit Free Press - October 16th, 2020
- Glimpse inside Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's Tattoos and the True Meaning behind Them - AmoMama - October 14th, 2020
- Mike Tyson Almost Got an Even Crazier Tattoo on His Face Thankfully He Didn't - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 14th, 2020
- Mike Tyson's Tribal Face Tattoo Got a Wild Reaction From a Woman in the Tribe - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 14th, 2020
- 10 Gilmore Girl Tattoo Ideas That Would Earn Lorelai and Rory's Stamp of Approval - POPSUGAR - October 10th, 2020
- 10 Gilmore Girl Tattoo Ideas That Would Earn Lorelai and Rory's Stamp of Approval - POPSUGAR Beauty Austrailia - October 9th, 2020
- Cancer survivor views tattoos as another recovery technique - Leader Publications - October 7th, 2020
- Revisiting Hellboy, the mixtape that captured Lil Peep's breakout energy - Dazed - October 7th, 2020
- 'Mr Snake': Meet the teacher who is France's most tattooed man - The Phnom Penh Post - October 6th, 2020
- Healing wheels: 63-year-old skates her way to cancer recovery - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - October 6th, 2020