To prove to you why communism is so bad, were going to talk to my dad who grew up in communist Romania, TikToker @stinkysocialist says, in a video thats amassed 2.4m likes. Walking into their dads study, they ask: Dad, why was communist Romania so bad? The dad, serious, thoughtful and poignant, begins: I lived there until I was 21 years old, so I have a lot of horrible stories to tell you. I left communist Romania in 88, which was one year before the war went down. And if I were to tell you one main thing that I remember? I aint never seen two pretty best friends.
Scroll through TikTok and youll find a lot of videos like this that ostensibly touch upon the legacy of the Soviet Union, before flipping the script. The Daddy Karl trend back in October 2020 was a signal of how quickly TikToks communist community was growing. Four months on, #communism has reached over 563 million views and accumulated hours of videos dedicated to highlighting Gen Zs seemingly growing anti-capitalist beliefs, and their faith in opposing ideologies.
Youll find people flexing tattoos of the hammer and sickle symbol (originally created by Soviet artist Yevgeny Ivanovich Kamzolkin to represent unity between the working class and the peasantry) to the soundtrack Just Did a Good Thing. Another video sees the face of Joseph Stalin, the notorious leader of the USSR from 1922-1952, whose legacy is caught somewhere between mass murderer and World War Two hero, deepfaked to lipsync to Millie Bs M to the B. One TikTok is captioned communist leaders as chav anthems (Stalin is Sophie Aspins Mash Up, for those interested).
The influx of iconic Soviet symbols hanging on TikTokers bedroom walls or printed on their bikini tops, and videos claiming the USSR is best over a Soviet chorus soundtrack not to mention the numerous light-hearted tattoos and animations may seem like little more than another TikTok trend. For some, it does appear to be more of an aesthetic interest than a deeply political one. But for many others who place the hammer and sickle in their social media bio, or label themselves commies or comrades, its a belief; an important part of their identity.
20-year-old Ilyssa, from New York, sees communism as the only viable alternative, one that will improve the societal issues we currently face. From a young age, I was very aware of the stark class differences that existed, she says. I grew up with a single mother in a very poor family. We made it work but I was aware of our class status. On TikTok, she educates her 67k followers on the subject of anti-semitism and creates hammer and sickle-inspired makeup looks. For Ilyssa, the symbol means solidarity among the working class. [Communism] means being anti-capitalist. It means advocating for equality and dignity for all people and striving towards a basic level of humanity for every person that exists.
Yet it's hard to ignore the geographical and historical disconnect between young Americans with a new interest in this history, and those related, through experience or blood, to hardships under Soviet rule. Alina, an 18-year-old from Luhansk in Eastern Ukraine, wonders if TikToks communist boom is rooted in people who are fans of communism, but who understand little about its history.
In Russia and former Soviet satellite states, such as Hungary, Poland and the Czech Republic, the Soviet symbol and images of the regimes leaders still carry the trauma of that time. For the children and grandchildren of those who suffered, the hammer and sickle represents much more than the solidarity initially intended. Stalins regime will be remembered by its descendants for decades to come, 18-year-old Anton from Omsk, Russia says. They will not forget the deaths of their repressed relatives.
The Red Armys arrival is rarely remembered as a pure liberation, historian Anne Applebaum wrote about the USSRs victory over the Nazis in her book Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe. Instead, it is remembered as the brutal beginning of a new occupation.
Many of the descendants of the regime know Soviet rule for its horrors. There was the looting and rape by Red Army soldiers, as documented by writers like Vasily Grossman; the Gulag system that led to the deaths of tens of millions of inmates; and the criminalisation of homosexuality in 1934 that targeted an unknown but substantial number of gay men and women -- a subject Dan Healey explores in his book Russian Homophobia from Stalin to Sochi.
The flag of the Soviet Union may trigger memories of events like the Holodomor in Ukraine a famine widely considered to be a genocide that led to the deaths of up to 12 million Ukrainians. To some, its a symbol that represented the anti-Semitism that was characteristic of Stalins regime, such as the 1953 Doctors Plot, a witch-hunt that targeted predominantly Jewish doctors. For others, its a reminder of the 1921 invasion of Georgia, which aimed to rid the country of its independence and implement Bolshevik control, or the Great Terror/Purge of 1936-1938 that targeted everyone from ethnic minorities to those suspected of dissidence.
Its not just the ideologys dark history that Anton worries is being ignored, but its problematic present. The current situation in North Korea is an example, he says. The communists know what is going on there but either dont think its necessary to talk about, or they discuss it ambiguously.
There are a lot of TikTok videos under #communism that set out to show that true communism has never been properly implemented. One video says the Stalinism and Soviet communism legacy distorted so many peoples understanding of Marxism and socialism. They are different ideologies. For the communists of TikTok, oppressive regimes like that of Stalin, North Korea, and the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia have very little to do with what communism and the hammer and sickle mean today.
I dont necessarily agree that its offensive, says 18-year-old Zoe from Chicago, who has a tattoo of the symbol and uses her TikTok platform to educate others about communism. I dont think that we should equate communism with the Soviet Union. We associate the symbol with more radical, positive change. That desire for change was what pushed her into far left and anti-capitalist politics in the first place. It was mostly the events happening in the US, especially over the summer, that were the reason I decided that communism was the best fit for me, she says. And there are many others, both Gen Z and millennials, that are also starting to consider communism or socialism as a more suitable ideological fit.
A 2019 YouGov poll found that more than one third of millennials in the US approve of communism an 8% increase on the previous year. Elsewhere, predictions of the current presidential election in Ecuador are indicating a nation eager for a return to socialism after years of neoliberal rule under current leader Lenn Moreno. In Russia, only over the past few months has the seemingly progressive, socialist and anti-corruption campaigner Alexei Navalny (who has a history of racist and nationalist politics) overtaken Communist Party leader Gennady Zyuganov, who has called for the Re-Stalinisation of Russian Society. Now, Navalny is seen as the substantial political opposition to Vladimir Putin.As such, he has recently been imprisoned for violating parole terms, during a period of time spent comatose in a Berlin hospital as he recovered from novichok poisoning.
The semantics of these debates are complicated, not least because while many advocating for communist ideals are based far from the former USSR, they arent necessarily disconnected from its history. Ilyssa recounts the hardships that her Jewish relatives felt when fleeing Russia from the pogroms in the early 20th century, and then from the Soviet Union a few decades later. My great grandparents were able to flee and come to the US, but a lot of their relatives were killed, and theres no documentation that exists of them outside of their memories, she explains. As a history major and descendant of victims of the Soviet Unions regime, Ilyssa wants to reclaim the hammer and sickle as a symbol of hope and a brighter future. But thats not to say that she doesnt recognise the dark nuances of the flag from which her great grandparents fled. Its realising that [Stalin] was not representative of communism or the hammer and sickle thats what makes it so easy to divorce the two. But its still worth learning from. We have to look at what parts of Marxism and communist theory left a space for totalitarianism and authoritarianism to take hold, and how we can prevent that from happening in the future.
Many young Russians also want to see the crimes of Stalin dissociated from the countrys proud heritage. The symbol isnt offensive," Roma, from Sarapul in Western Russia, says. It represents pride, a time when people strove for the best. Over 800 miles away in Saint Petersburg, 22-year-old Maria says she thinks its a good thing that Gen Z communists are breathing new life into the symbol: I personally dont associate it with anything bad. The hammer and sickle was there before Stalin and it was there after him. His crimes are a black stain on our history that still resonates to this day.
For many of Gen Zs TikTok communist community, rejuvenating the hammer and sickle is not about ignoring the weight that it carries. Its about returning the symbol to its original meaning: one of unity and solidarity. They want the symbol to represent everything they dream of seeing in the world. But, above all, they see it as an emblem of hope for a generation caught within a defective, splintering system; one they collectively want to topple on its head.
Follow i-D on Instagram and TikTok for more.
- The Ron Swanson Mistake You Never Noticed In Parks And Recreation - Looper - April 4th, 2021
- Ireland Baldwin Reveals Creative Use For David Bowie Tattoo - The Inquisitr News - April 4th, 2021
- Watch Travis Barkers Daughter Alabama Cover Up His Face Tattoos With Makeup - menshealth.com - April 4th, 2021
- Is There KVD Beauty Without Kat Von D? - The Business of Fashion - March 8th, 2021
- What Is Microshading? Heres What To Know About the No-Maintenance, Feathery Brows Everyones Talking About - Well+Good - March 8th, 2021
- Jennifer Aniston finally reveals the meaning behind her '11 11' wrist tattoo - Cosmopolitan UK - March 8th, 2021
- Popular new makeup products to try in 2021 - Belfast Live - February 19th, 2021
- Woman Reacts To Seeing Boyfriend For First Time Without Tattoo-Covered Face - BroBible - February 19th, 2021
- Test Pattern Director Shatara Michelle Ford on Making Their First Film and Being Emotionally Truthful - TheStranger.com - February 19th, 2021
- Here's Why Jeffree Star's 'Delicious' Neck Tattoo Is One Of His Favorites - TheThings - February 17th, 2021
- Blue Light Body Arts to open on the bricks in spring - Hays Daily News - February 17th, 2021
- Exploring the ever-diminishing returns of the Crow franchise - The Spool - February 14th, 2021
- 'Justice League': Check out Jared Leto's freaky Joker in the trailer for Zack Snyder's new HBO Max cut - USA TODAY - February 14th, 2021
- JUSTICE LEAGUE Director Zack Snyder Addresses Absence Of The Joker's SUICIDE SQUAD Tattoos In The Snyder Cut - CBM (Comic Book Movie) - February 11th, 2021
- Zack Snyder explains why Joker's tattoos were removed in Justice League - Explica - February 11th, 2021
- Why Leto's Joker Doesn't Have His "Damaged" Tattoo In Justice League - Screen Rant - February 10th, 2021
- Site of the day: Want a tattoo? You have to download this app - Explica - February 10th, 2021
- Salma Hayek Shows off Chest Tattoos for New Movie 'Bliss' - PopCulture.com - February 7th, 2021
- The rise of beauty enhancements and Maya Darwiche - Sunrise News - February 7th, 2021
- The eyes have it: Above-the-mask makeup sees pandemic surge - CBC.ca - February 7th, 2021
- BB14 promo: Salman Khan schools Abhinav for his choice of words; asks if he's 'going in the right direction' - Times Now - February 7th, 2021
- Tattoo Stamp - MILK MAKEUP | Sephora - February 6th, 2021
- Eye Studio Color Tattoo 24HR Cream Gel Eyeshadow - Maybelline - February 6th, 2021
- Salma Hayek flaunts new large tattoo and fans freak out - HOLA USA - February 6th, 2021
- Gigi Hadid Now Has A Tattoo Tribute To Baby Girl And It Matches Zayn Maliks - Capital - February 4th, 2021
- Bobrisky lavishes N596k while shopping for lady that tattooed him on her back - Legit.ng - February 4th, 2021
- Make-up artist Mei Pang is turning the internet into her beauty playground - Dazed - February 4th, 2021
- Nick Carter of Backstreet Boys Covered Up His Paris Hilton Tattoo With a Skull and Crossbones - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 4th, 2021
- Two Singaporean women pioneering in the rise of hand-poked tattoos - News24 - February 4th, 2021
- Britney Spears Fans Concerned About Singers Well-Being After Her Latest Video Upload - The Inquisitr - February 4th, 2021
- Priyanka Chopra is a sight to behold as the bold and beautiful cover star of Elle UK - Bollywood Hungama - February 4th, 2021
- Promised Neverland: 10 Great Emma Cosplay You Have To See | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 4th, 2021
- The Multiple Personalities of Johnny Depp: The Smearing of Makeup and a Beloved Actors Career - Mandatory - February 2nd, 2021
- Hunter Schafer on the Reverb of Euphorias Makeup and Her Road-Trip Beauty Essentials - Vanity Fair - January 24th, 2021
- BTS' Jungkook reveals tattoos on show and fans are excited to get a close-up view - CNA - January 24th, 2021
- Forget microblading... These eyebrow tattoo stickers are the in-thing - Jacaranda FM - January 24th, 2021
- Jurassic World: Age, Height, & 8 Other Things You Didn't Know About Jeff Goldblum - Screen Rant - January 24th, 2021
- Foundation getting in the way of your natural freckles? Here's how you can make them pop again - News24 - January 20th, 2021
- Forget Shoes, It's About the Lipstick: Hollywood Stylists Share Lessons Learned From Working in a Pandemic - Hollywood Reporter - January 15th, 2021
- This designer is giving the ancient art of henna a modern makeover - CNN - January 15th, 2021
- Apex Legends: 10 Loba Cosplays That Prove She Is The Best Character - TheGamer - January 15th, 2021
- New fashion trend went viral, women tattooing tattoos to hide dark circles and stretch mark - Primetime - January 12th, 2021
- Makeup trends 2021 | Beauty - MAG THE WEEKLY - Mag The Weekly Magazine - January 12th, 2021
- Assassins Creed Valhalla: 10 Female Eivor Cosplays That Are Battle-Ready - TheGamer - January 12th, 2021
- Justin Bieber Covered Up All His Tattoos for the Anyone Music Video and the Video Is Mesmerizing to Watch - Us Weekly - January 9th, 2021
- Fans Think Cardi B Deserves A Superhero Name | TheThings - TheThings - January 9th, 2021
- Priyanka Chopra In Trouble With UK Cops After Breaking Lockdown Rules - Talent Recap - January 9th, 2021
- Nikita Dragun Masters The Underboob Look In Metallic Bandeau Top With Matching Thigh-High Slit Skirt - The Inquisitr News - January 3rd, 2021
- Justin Bieber Shared a Video of Himself Getting His Tattoos Covered Up for His New "Anyone" Music Video Watch - Allure - January 3rd, 2021
- Prateik Babbar experiments with his hair colour again, goes from red to blue - Republic World - December 28th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077: 5 Things That Make No Sense About V (& 5 Fan Theories That Really Do) - TheGamer - December 28th, 2020
- Fashion trends that originated from other cultures - Los Angeles Times - December 28th, 2020
- 89 Best Truth or Dare Questions and Dares - Teen Vogue - December 28th, 2020
- Louisa Johnson Showcases Chest Tattoo In Low-Cut White Top For A Series Of Close-Up Snaps - The Inquisitr - December 23rd, 2020
- Get the Look: a gold mine of information about gilded makeup looks - Irish Examiner - December 21st, 2020
- Replicating Success In The ECommerce World: A Case Study With James Khuri - Forbes - December 21st, 2020
- Pete Davidson is reportedly in the process of removing all of his tattoos - 21-Dec-2020 - NZ Entertainment news - NZCity - December 21st, 2020
- TRIED & TESTED: "I got my eyebrows tattooed with a freehand blade. Here's how it went." - Mamamia - December 18th, 2020
- Permanent Makeup Information: Eyeliner, Lipstick, and More - December 18th, 2020
- People Have a Lot of Feelings About Pete Davidson Removing All of His Tattoos - POPSUGAR - December 17th, 2020
- Are Hair and Beauty Salons Allowed to Be Open in Tier 3? - POPSUGAR United Kingdom - December 17th, 2020
- Docs with Tattoos: More Relatable to Patients? - MedPage Today - December 14th, 2020
- Keep Your Eye On These Young Designers From Around the World - W Magazine - December 3rd, 2020
- Carmen Electra, 48, Nearly Bursts Out Of Plunging Corset While Caressing Her Chest - The Inquisitr - November 26th, 2020
- 7 of the best and 6 of the worst beauty trends of the year, so far - INSIDER - November 25th, 2020
- Guns N Roses Stars Daughter Draws All Eyes To Her Backside As She Strikes A Sultry Pose With ... - Metalhead Zone - November 25th, 2020
- Gen-Z is finding alternatives to traditional mental health resources through social media - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 21st, 2020
- KVD Vegan Beauty Debuts Holiday 2020 with First-Ever Fully-Recycled Eyeshadow Palette, Dazzling Shadows Sticks, Vegan Lashes and a Plethora of... - November 20th, 2020
- Astanza Wins Top Aesthetic Company, Best Laser Service and Training, and Best Laser Company to Work For in the Aesthetic Everything 2020 Aesthetic and... - November 20th, 2020
- Valeria Micropigmentation Is One of The Most Trusted Solution for Permanent Makeup - Press Release - Digital Journal - November 18th, 2020
- Revealed: The Get The Gloss Beauty and Wellness Awards 2020 winners - Get The Gloss - November 18th, 2020
- Queen Icon Roger Taylors Daughter Tiger Lily Looks Sexy In Red, Shows A Secret Tattoo And Explains ... - Metalhead Zone - November 18th, 2020
- New Zealand has just elected one of the most diverse parliaments in the world. Here's how it stacks up - KESQ - November 18th, 2020
- Cardi B Puts Her Colorful Leg Tattoo on Display in a Red Reebok Outfit from Her New Collection - AmoMama - November 16th, 2020
- Lee Sang Yeob Hilariously Pretends To Be Bentley From The Future On The Return Of Superman - soompi - November 16th, 2020
- Tejaswini Pandit Flaunts A Rare Barcode Tattoo, Fans Wonder What Scanning It Will Lead To? - Zee Kannada - November 12th, 2020
- Chris Evans Has 9 Hidden Tattoos Here's What They Mean - POPSUGAR - November 11th, 2020
- Assassins Creed Valhalla Will Feature Photo Mode at Launch. Know All The Updates Right Here ! - Stanford Arts Review - November 9th, 2020
- 'Welcome to Plathville': The Plaths Are More Divided Than Ever in the Season 2 Sneak Peek Moriah Calls Her Parents' House a 'Cage,' Ethan Gets a... - November 9th, 2020
- 'The Serbs stared at us, so we stared back. They have no awareness of fat people' - Haaretz.com - November 9th, 2020