Margaret Allen|Hays Daily News
Chris Norris grew up in a house on W. 6th Street in Hays, so moving his tattoo and piercing shop to the heart of downtown is just going back to his neighborhood.
Sore Loser, the body arts shop that established its name at the corner of 8th and Vine streets 13 years ago, will move to 1008 Main sometime this spring.
Thats not all thats changing.
From what people tell me, the Sore Loser name, I hate to say iconic, but its well-known, said Norris, talking recently about the move. It was fun back in 07 when we opened up, but you kind of grow up a little bit, and I kind of want to go, not in a different direction, but just slightly off the path were on right now.
As Blue Light Body Arts, the shops new name conjures the captivating local history of Elizabeth Polly. Known fondly as the Blue Light Lady, theblue auraof Pollys ghost, its said, still walks the hill south of town where she was buried in 1867 after succumbing to cholera while nursing Fort Hays soldiers dying of the epidemic.
Yeah, its a huge thing here. I grew up hearing about it, said Norris, a 1992 graduate of Hays High School. I mean who didnt walk out in the country looking for her grave? Its a neat story that has to do with Hays, specifically.
Being on Main Street opens up new opportunities for the business, which has three tattoo artists, two body piercersand a piercing apprentice.
I dont have much foot traffic here, he said of his Vine Street location. I want to get that person walking by that wouldnt really think about it, and tease their brain a little. Theres been such a stigma with tattoos and piercings over the years, but thats kind of gone by the wayside. We pierce most everything, its perfectly fine with us.
Customers range in age from 7 on up, to older folks getting their first tattoo or piercing. But the heart of the business is the 18-to-25 college-aged crowd, he said.
Norris also looks forward to being part of the lively Main Street business district, The Bricks in Downtown Hays.
With big plate glass windows onto Main Street, the piercers and tattoo artists can display their work for downtown shoppers. And Blue Light Body Arts will also be a part of special downtown events, particularly the Art Walk, hosted quarterly by the Hays Arts Council.
Norris hopes to showcase his studios artists, two of whom are graduates of the Fort Hays State University art program, during Art Walk, when Main Street hosts local art and entertainment.
Norris spent some time finding the right storefront.
I looked around for about the past five years of getting downtown, he said. Everyone sees the revitalization going on. I like it. It gives a really good feel.
Formerly The Bluetique, a womens clothing store, the space was the first he looked at. It was one of 18 commercial buildings downtown owned by Plainville businessman Chuck Comeaus DFC Holdings Inc. Prices were more affordable, Norris said, when he bought the space from Bank of Hays after DFC Holdings 2019 bankruptcy.
Now the shop can focus on expanding.
Tattooing will always be there. Thats just solid, Norris said, noting the shop has about a 50/50 or 60/40 split of tattooing to piercing.
We have the college crowd, that stands the test of time, youre always gonna have kids that want to come in and they want shiny stuff, he said. Theyre just trying to get different things, whats not normal in small-town Kansas.
Norris has spent the last seven years ramping up his jewelry quality, to where now the items in the jewelry case are pretty much all titanium or gold, and from U.S. manufacturers with lifetime warranties on craftsmanship.
Thats a big selling point, he said. We have a little something for everyone. I try to be inclusive with everybodys budget.
He hopes to expand the jewelry offerings 25% to 50%, particularly the yellow, rose and white gold section, with a lot of variety in size and price. As for stones, while there are options like synthetic opals, most everything will be cubic zirconia, Norris said. But he also plans to expand into genuine diamonds.
The new location expands the size of the studio from 1,800 square feet to 3,000 square feet on two stories. He also hopes to expand the hours and days of operation.
Piercing will be downstairs, with tattooing upstairs. A spare room downstairs will meet Americans with Disabilities Act standards, and also serve a makeup artist who applies permanent cosmetics, like eyeliner and eyebrows.
Norris will sell his building at 8th and Vine once the studio moves out. He hopes that will be in April or May.
Theres quite a bit of work to be done to get it up to state standards for tattoo and piercing establishments, Norris said. That means no porous floors, so all the carpet came out.
The open space on the ground floor will have wall dividers for individual rooms, each with its own sink.
Upstairs, on the second floor, will be pit-style, with one open room and privacy screens, at the tattooers request.
Thats what they want to do, he said. I think they feed off one another artistic-wise and everything else. Its good for them to see each others work daily, and clients can see what other people are doing.
General contractor for the remodel is Commercial Builders Inc., 2717 Canal Blvd., but Norris will do some of the work too, including installing hardwood floors for a turn-of-the-century look.
I think that we can tie in well to the other businesses down there, Norris said. I want to have a really healthy relationship with everyone there, and everyone I talk to is pretty excited about us coming down.
Here is the original post:
- According to artists, the Best and Worst Types of Tattoos To Get - Central Recorder - November 23rd, 2021
- Go Behind the Scenes of Succession with Jihae - TownandCountrymag.com - November 23rd, 2021
- Im a makeup artist and these are the most annoying things clients do PLEASE put your phone away... - The US Sun - November 9th, 2021
- Ariana Grande on Creating the Perfect rem Beauty Makeup Line And Secret "Harry Potter" Reference - Seventeen.com - November 9th, 2021
- All New Beauty Launches Arriving in November 2021 - TeenVogue.com - November 9th, 2021
- Katherine Ryan: I thought plastic surgery was aspirational - The Guardian - November 9th, 2021
- Reese Witherspoon's daughter complains to this fellow celeb child about mom-lookalike comparisons, more news - Wonderwall - November 9th, 2021
- Travis Barker's Utterly Distraught Ex-Wife Shanna Moakler Sobs Into The Phone After Rocker Covers Up Tattoo Of Her Name With New Fiance Kourtney... - October 29th, 2021
- Why Are NFL Players So Obsessed With The Dark Knight? - The Ringer - October 29th, 2021
- National salon franchise coming to Milwaukee's Third Ward - BizTimes Milwaukee - October 29th, 2021
- Allouez gets updates on Webster Avenue, south landfill - The Press-Times - October 29th, 2021
- 23 Thanksgiving Makeup Ideas That Pair Well With Pumpkin Pie - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 29th, 2021
- Kaiit On Her Epic Tattoo Collection, Musical Inspirations And Love For 1920s Makeup - The Urban List - October 17th, 2021
- Inside the techniques and ideas behind portrait tattoos - Los Angeles Times - October 17th, 2021
- Mama June, 42, teases new boo then cozies up to handsome tattoo artist after relationship with boy toy Ti... - The US Sun - October 17th, 2021
- Tattoo their name on your body if you love them. Get their face if you really care - Yahoo News - October 17th, 2021
- How Inked made its mark on local television history - The Spinoff - October 5th, 2021
- 13 Latinx-Owned Beauty Brands to Support Now and Always - Vogue - October 5th, 2021
- This female tattoo artist is making her mark in a male-dominated field | Venture - Daily Hive - September 1st, 2021
- The Best Mens Makeup? 5 Pros Share Their Go-To Picks - Vogue - September 1st, 2021
- He's All That Ending, Explained: Do Padgett and Cameron End Up Together? - The Cinemaholic - September 1st, 2021
- Tattoos in the Workplace in 2021 - Fife Free Press - September 1st, 2021
- News to note : Women in Afghanistan fear for their lives and futures, trouble at Times Up & more - Boss Betty - August 20th, 2021
- Machine Gun Kelly Reveals Dramatic Head Tattoo After Shaving off His Hair - PopCulture.com - August 20th, 2021
- 24 of the best beauty products on Amazon that are worth adding to cart - CNN - August 20th, 2021
- This Woman Covered Her Face and Body Tattoos to See if Her Family Would Recognize Her - menshealth.com - August 20th, 2021
- We Tried 8 Viral TikTok Beauty Trends To See If They Really Work - Todayuknews - Todayuknews - August 20th, 2021
- 7 New Netflix Shows You Can Watch This Weekend - Best Life - August 6th, 2021
- Ink positive: how tattoos can heal the mind as well as adorn the body - The Guardian - August 6th, 2021
- 18 Celebs Who Have Looked Back At Their Iconic Past Looks And Gone, "Never Again" - BuzzFeed - August 6th, 2021
- Graphic Eyeliner Is The Makeup Trend You Need Right Now - OK! - July 22nd, 2021
- Permanent makeup: Give yourself a winter beauty boost - New Zealand Herald - July 22nd, 2021
- Celebrities Who Have Had Tattoos Removed: Stars Who Have Undergone the Painful Laser Process - Life&Style Weekly - July 8th, 2021
- Watch This Man React to Seeing His Girlfriend Without Face Tattoos for the First Time - menshealth.com - July 8th, 2021
- Which Kardashian-Jenners Have Tattoos? Photos of Khloe, Rob, Kylie, Kendall and Kris Ink - Life&Style Weekly - July 8th, 2021
- Marion to adopt body art regulations | Sippican - Sippican Week - July 8th, 2021
- Ludacris On Why He Ditched Plan To Get Covered In Tattoos - AllHipHop - July 8th, 2021
- Brooke Shields on her iconic brows and her definition of self-care - Glossy - July 8th, 2021
- 7 Best Lip Stains That Give You A Popsicle Finish - MissMalini - July 8th, 2021
- Skin Check-In with Dr. Will: The Top-Requested Aesthetic Procedures and Treatments for Summer 2021 - Life&Style Weekly - June 26th, 2021
- Viral video of full body tattoo transformation shows the power of a good makeup artist - Digital Journal - June 26th, 2021
- How to use viral Rampage tattoo filter on TikTok and Instagram - Dexerto - June 9th, 2021
- 7 Reasons to Venture Into the Cosmetics Industry - ABCmoney.co.uk - May 28th, 2021
- The answer to eyebrows gone wrong on Jessops Journeys - ABC 4 - May 28th, 2021
- Iconic 90s Beauty Products That Are Being Revived in 2021 - Femina - May 28th, 2021
- Best Sunscreen for Year-Round UV Protection - Popular Science - May 28th, 2021
- Teen Mom 2s Briana DeJesus is getting serious with boyfriend Javi See photo of them from the reunion - Monsters and Critics - May 28th, 2021
- Landon Barker Gushes Over Kourtney K.'s 'Fire' Tattoo on Travis - In Touch Weekly - May 16th, 2021
- Aesthetic tattoos that cover scars and beautify, how to get one safely? Explica .co - Explica - May 16th, 2021
- James Charles is being sued, Cara Delevingne is auctioning off a NFT of her vagina, and other beauty news - Buro 24/7 Singapore - May 16th, 2021
- Britain's 'Most Tattooed Woman' Covered Up All of Her Ink for a Day - menshealth.com - May 4th, 2021
- Mama June: June Shannon gives Parenting Advice Shares Dos And Donts; Know Which Negative Comment Bothered Her The Most - TV Season Spoilers - May 4th, 2021
- Tinkerbell with tattoos, inked Incredibles; Disney to allow visible tattoos on cast members - WKRG News 5 - April 19th, 2021
- The Ron Swanson Mistake You Never Noticed In Parks And Recreation - Looper - April 4th, 2021
- Ireland Baldwin Reveals Creative Use For David Bowie Tattoo - The Inquisitr News - April 4th, 2021
- Watch Travis Barkers Daughter Alabama Cover Up His Face Tattoos With Makeup - menshealth.com - April 4th, 2021
- Is There KVD Beauty Without Kat Von D? - The Business of Fashion - March 8th, 2021
- What Is Microshading? Heres What To Know About the No-Maintenance, Feathery Brows Everyones Talking About - Well+Good - March 8th, 2021
- Jennifer Aniston finally reveals the meaning behind her '11 11' wrist tattoo - Cosmopolitan UK - March 8th, 2021
- Popular new makeup products to try in 2021 - Belfast Live - February 19th, 2021
- Woman Reacts To Seeing Boyfriend For First Time Without Tattoo-Covered Face - BroBible - February 19th, 2021
- Test Pattern Director Shatara Michelle Ford on Making Their First Film and Being Emotionally Truthful - TheStranger.com - February 19th, 2021
- Here's Why Jeffree Star's 'Delicious' Neck Tattoo Is One Of His Favorites - TheThings - February 17th, 2021
- Exploring the ever-diminishing returns of the Crow franchise - The Spool - February 14th, 2021
- 'Justice League': Check out Jared Leto's freaky Joker in the trailer for Zack Snyder's new HBO Max cut - USA TODAY - February 14th, 2021
- JUSTICE LEAGUE Director Zack Snyder Addresses Absence Of The Joker's SUICIDE SQUAD Tattoos In The Snyder Cut - CBM (Comic Book Movie) - February 11th, 2021
- Zack Snyder explains why Joker's tattoos were removed in Justice League - Explica - February 11th, 2021
- How TikTok communists are reclaiming the hammer and sickle - i-D - February 11th, 2021
- Why Leto's Joker Doesn't Have His "Damaged" Tattoo In Justice League - Screen Rant - February 10th, 2021
- Site of the day: Want a tattoo? You have to download this app - Explica - February 10th, 2021
- Salma Hayek Shows off Chest Tattoos for New Movie 'Bliss' - PopCulture.com - February 7th, 2021
- The rise of beauty enhancements and Maya Darwiche - Sunrise News - February 7th, 2021
- The eyes have it: Above-the-mask makeup sees pandemic surge - CBC.ca - February 7th, 2021
- BB14 promo: Salman Khan schools Abhinav for his choice of words; asks if he's 'going in the right direction' - Times Now - February 7th, 2021
- Tattoo Stamp - MILK MAKEUP | Sephora - February 6th, 2021
- Eye Studio Color Tattoo 24HR Cream Gel Eyeshadow - Maybelline - February 6th, 2021
- Salma Hayek flaunts new large tattoo and fans freak out - HOLA USA - February 6th, 2021
- Gigi Hadid Now Has A Tattoo Tribute To Baby Girl And It Matches Zayn Maliks - Capital - February 4th, 2021
- Bobrisky lavishes N596k while shopping for lady that tattooed him on her back - Legit.ng - February 4th, 2021
- Make-up artist Mei Pang is turning the internet into her beauty playground - Dazed - February 4th, 2021