A dermal therapist shares their tattoo removal tips.
As a teenager, my mum told me not to do many things. When I asked to dye my hair black and if I could get a tongue piercing at 14, I was promptly and in no uncertain terms told that I could do whatever my heart desired when I was an adult. But the one thing my parents always said to never do, age aside? Get a tattoo.
Tattoos are forever, theyd tell me as I begged them, yearning to rebel against the conformity of my peers.While I am grateful my mum did not let me get a love heart permanently etched into my wrist at the age of 16 (oh the originality!), there is no denying that attitudes towards tattoos have changed quite dramatically in thelast few decades.
Looking to procrastinate in a productive way? Subscribe here and well send more great reads straight to your inbox.
With one in 5 Australians now having one or more tatts, social stereotypes around body art are changing quickly. No longer is it seen as a hindrance to getting a job or that youre intertwined with a bikie gang. Hey, even golden boy Harry Styles is tatted almost head to toe.
But whether you choose to get a tattoo for aesthetic, cultural or personal reasons or maybe just for the hell of it there is one commonality that they all share. They are permanent or at least they used to be.
With more people heading to the ink parlour than ever before, it stands to reason that many more are experiencing tattoo regret. According to one poll, 31 per cent of tattoo-havers regret the decision and while the only option to change a tattoo used to be getting it covered over with an even bigger one, now thanks to advances in technology tattoo removal is becoming a more common and widespread choice.
Like my love heart on the wrist idea, many people decide to get a tattoo when theyre younger or as a spur of the moment choice. Often, people just simply outgrow the design they used to love while others want to cover up the initials of a certain ex-partner. (Im looking at you, Johnny Depp.)
Whatever the reason, the demand for tattoo removal services has surged by 440 per cent in the last decade with one in 10 Australians choosing to getrid of their ink.
So, what are your options?
Over the last few decades, the amount of technologies and options cropping up has grown significantly in order to meet the ever-growing demand of people wanting to get a tattoo removed. But fade creams, acids, dermabrasion and even skin grafts have all been invasive and expensive treatments.
According to The Global Beauty Group, a beauty supplier to the aesthetic industry, the most modern, effective and least invasive way to get rid of your 18-year-old selfs mistake is through tattoo removal lasers.
And the best choice at the moment? Q-Switched lasers. Similar to hair removal lasers, the Q-Switched laser emits light that is absorbed into the melanin. But instead of breaking down the hair follicles, tattoo removal lasers breakup the pigment of the ink left in the skin, leaving your skin looking like youd actually listened to your mum in the first place.
Dermal therapist Elise Andrews explains that tattoo removal lasers work by using, high-intensity light that shatters the ink into smaller particles so that it can be effectively eliminated via our lymphatic system. Q-Switched lasers also minimise the risk of heat exposure which can result in skin damage and scarring.
Be warned though, Elise says that although different wavelengths can be used to target the various colours found in tattoos, some are much harder to remove than others (for example white cannot be removed and yellow, green and blue can also be difficult). Depending on the depth of the original tattoo, there also might be some scarring that is difficult to remove some things to consider next time you are toying with the idea of some new ink.
While this super-smart technology makes it sound quick, the whole process will take a number of months, even years. You are removing permanent ink thats been embedded into your skin, after all. Elise says that most clients will need around six to 12 treatments depending on the quality, size location and colour.
Because your skin needs time to heal, leaving gaps of six to eight weeks is also recommended.Its also not a particularly comfortable treatment either in fact, most find the tattoo removal process more painful than actually getting tattooed. Again, just something to keep in mind when you are whiling away the hours on your favourite tattoo artists Instagram feed.
According to Elise, the most important aspect of getting a tattoo removed is finding a qualified therapist. You should seek a trained clinician that specialises in tattoo removal. Ask whether they do it on a regular basis and if they are qualified.
Qualified therapists will have undergone training into skin physiology, laser safety and a tattoo removal course so will be able to answer any questions you may have in regards to removing a tattoo or fading it to a level where a cover-up may be possible.
While you were once stuck with your lingering feelings of tattoo regret permanently, thanks to technology such as laser tattoo removal services becoming widely accessible, we may see the number of people heading to the tattoo parlour rise even further.
Considering Australia is the second most tattooed country in the world, it wouldnt be surprising to see those stats go up even further and hey if I can change my mind, maybe I will try out that love heart tattoo after all. Sorry, Mum.
For more information about tattoo removal, head here.
- Connecticut Tattoo Removal Brings Full-Spectrum Laser Tattoo Removal to North Haven, Connecticut Featuring the Astanza Trinity and DESCRIBE PFD Patch... - November 23rd, 2021
- Teen Mom Ashley Jones reveals she was secretly in a relationship with a woman for four years before... - The Sun - November 23rd, 2021
- Removery Opens New Tattoo Removal Location in Oklahoma City - PR Web - November 9th, 2021
- Dermatology PA-C Rebecca Sklar of Advanced Dermatology PC with Tips on Tattoo Removal - Benzinga - Benzinga - October 29th, 2021
- Do tattoos hurt? What it feels like, areas, pain relief, and more - Medical News Today - October 17th, 2021
- Modified Tattoo Gallery Delivers Superior Laser Tattoo Removal and Fading for Cover Ups with the Astanza - Benzinga - October 17th, 2021
- Laser tattoo removal: How it works, how long it takes and side effects - Metro.co.uk - October 17th, 2021
- Teen Moms Bar Smith wears sweater & gold chain after starting laser treatment to remove face tattoos in m... - The Sun - October 5th, 2021
- Ink Eraser is the Brings Superior Laser Tattoo Removal to Cranberry Township, PA Featuring the Astanza - GlobeNewswire - October 5th, 2021
- Main Benefits of Pico Laser: Pigmentation Removal, Skin Whitening and Skin Rejuvenation at V Medical Aesthetics and Laser Clinic in Singapore -... - October 5th, 2021
- Rethinking the ink: Austin company aims to be leader in tattoo removal industry - Austin American-Statesman - September 1st, 2021
- Teen Mom Ashley Jones baby daddy Bar Smith undergoes second round of lasering to remove his face tattoos i... - The US Sun - September 1st, 2021
- Ubiquity Lab Wins Removery, As The Tattoo Removal Service Launches In Australia - B&T - August 20th, 2021
- Surgical Laser Devices Market: Urology segment held major market share due to rise in the prevalence of urological disorders - BioSpace - July 22nd, 2021
- Thinking about getting a tattoo? Here's what you need to know before getting inked for the first time - IOL - July 8th, 2021
- Pete Davidson Is Getting All of His Tattoos Removed and Itll Take 2 More Years - Us Weekly - July 8th, 2021
- Doff & Flux On the Efficacy of Laser Tattoo Removal and Industry Impact - Digital Journal - July 8th, 2021
- Trying to Remove a Tattoo at Home Can Do More Harm Than Good - Chiang Rai Times - June 26th, 2021
- Taking your scars and making something better. Jillian Marty on Jessops Journal - ABC 4 - June 26th, 2021
- Tarnished Provides Advanced Laser Tattoo Removal and Tattoo Modification Using the Astanza Duality in Oakville, Connecticut - Yahoo Finance - June 9th, 2021
- This Is What Its Like To Get A Tattoo Removed, If You Once Had No Ragrets But Now Have Some - Pedestrian TV - June 9th, 2021
- Warren woman whose mugshots went viral shares her story of recovery - News 5 Cleveland - May 16th, 2021
- Meet ArrDee: The Brighton rapper behind TikTok's biggest song right now - The Tab - May 16th, 2021
- Laser All Brings Full-Spectrum Laser Tattoo Removal and Painless Laser Hair Removal to Westminster, CO with the Astanza Trinity and Astanza ReSmooth... - April 19th, 2021
- My Experience Lightening and ... - Tattoos & Piercings - February 14th, 2021
- 'Britain's most tattooed woman' shows what she looks like with ink covered up - Daily Star - February 6th, 2021
- Tattoo Removal Market Trends, Comprehensive Research Study, Development Status, Opportunities, Future Demand, Competitive Landscape and Growth by... - January 22nd, 2021
- Free tattoo removal event helps give people a clean break with past - Stockton Record - January 20th, 2021
- WJFW Newswatch 12 - News From Where You Live - Rhinelander Wisconsin WJFW TV-12 - WJFW-TV - January 20th, 2021
- Kat Von D tattoo cover- up revealed: Tattoo artist shows off new ink! - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - December 18th, 2020
- Ribbon Cutting in Boca Raton: LifeGaines Medical and Aesthetics Center Will Receive the Lumenis Excellence Award at Their Ribbon Cutting Event Today... - December 17th, 2020
- Laser Tattoo Removal Procedure, Benefits, and Risks - December 12th, 2020
- How Does Laser Tattoo Removal Work? 7 Facts You Need to Know - December 12th, 2020
- Tattoo Removal | American Society of Plastic Surgeons - December 12th, 2020
- The Best Tattoo Removalists in Canberra - The RiotACT - December 6th, 2020
- Laser tattoo removal offers hope for future - December 5th, 2020
- Laser tattoo removal offers hope for future | fox43.com - December 5th, 2020
- 7 Stars Who Had to Remove Tattoos of Their Exes, From Johnny Depp to Pete Davidson (Photos) - msnNOW - December 2nd, 2020
- The Best Laser Tattoo Removalists in Canberra - The RiotACT - November 30th, 2020
- How Much Does Tattoo Removal Cost? [2020 Price Guide] - November 12th, 2020
- 7 FAQs About Laser Tattoo Removal | Blog | Balshi Dermatology - November 12th, 2020
- The MedSpa on 5th Removes Unwanted Tattoos and Skin Blemishes with the Astanza Duality in Mount Dora, Florida - PRNewswire - November 9th, 2020
- E-dermis Magnetic Tattoo Removal An Alternative Way of Tattoo Elimination - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - November 3rd, 2020
- Understanding Laser Tattoo Removal | University of Utah Health - October 29th, 2020
- Tattoo Removal: How Much Lasering a Tattoo Costs and Hurts ... - October 29th, 2020
- Panacea Tattoo Removal Offers a Second Chance with Laser Tattoo Removal Featuring the Astanza Duality in Grand Junction, CO - PRNewswire - October 27th, 2020
- Laser Tattoo Removal: From Prep to Aftercare, Heres What to Expect - HYPEBAE - October 27th, 2020
- What To Expect When You Get a Tattoo - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - October 2nd, 2020
- 9 Tips for Tattoo Removal Health Essentials from ... - September 28th, 2020
- Tattoo Removal Lasers: Types & Differences - September 28th, 2020
- What You Need to Know Before Tattoo Removal - - RushPRnews.com - September 26th, 2020
- These innovative regimes and therapies are worth booking well in advance - Connecticut Magazine - September 22nd, 2020
- Chinese Taxi Drivers Ordered To Remove Tattoos - INKED - September 22nd, 2020
- Tattoo Removal: How to, Costs, Before and After Pictures ... - September 9th, 2020
- Tattoo removal - Mayo Clinic - September 9th, 2020
- Laser Tattoo Removal - Swinyer-Woseth Dermatology - September 9th, 2020
- 6 Things Everyone Gets Wrong About Laser Tattoo Removal | SELF - September 9th, 2020
- How to Remove Your Unwanted Tattoo Permanently and Safely - Chiang Rai Times - August 25th, 2020
- 10 Things No One Tells You About Tattoo Removal | Glamour - August 22nd, 2020
- How To Remove A Permanent Tattoo: DIY Methods and Surgical ... - August 22nd, 2020
- Laser surgery - Wikipedia - August 22nd, 2020
- 'Erase The Mistake' effort addresses unwanted tattoos - Huntington Herald Dispatch - August 18th, 2020
- Removery's INK-nitiative Will Remove Racist and Hate Tattoos For Free - Tyler Morning Telegraph - August 12th, 2020
- Interest In Tattoo Removal High As Removery Safely Opens Its Doors - PRNewswire - July 15th, 2020
- How to Remove a Tattoo without Laser at Home - September 13th, 2019
- Tattoo removal - Wikipedia - September 13th, 2019