On February 22, the Instagram feed of KVD Vegan Beauty, the makeup brand formerly known as Kat Von D Beauty, was wiped clean.
It was a not-so-subtle signal that Kendo Brands, the LVMH-owned incubator behind the brand as well as beauty lines from Rihanna, Marc Jacobs and others, was looking to make a fresh start with one of its earliest success stories.
The decision to start fresh wasnt entirely Kendos choice. In January 2020, Kat Von D, real name Katherine Von Drachenberg, exited the brand she had founded nearly 12 years earlier. By then, the tattoo artist was better known to many for her controversies including allegations of antisemitism and flirting with the anti-vaccination movement than her body art or makeup skills.
Changing the brands name last year was only the beginning. This week, Kendo dropped the vegan, and announced that KVD Beauty stands not for Kat Von D, but for Kara, Veritas, Decora, or Value, Truth and Beauty in Latin. Miryam Lumpini, another tattoo artist, was enlisted to help the line return to its tattoo inspired beauty roots. Four makeup artists most heavily tattooed have signed on to work with the brand. By the end of next year, the more modern, black and gilded branding will appear in-store, on products, on packaging and throughout all marketing and social media content. KVD Beauty will focus on full coverage, full face makeup (a lightweight, medium coverage True Portrait foundation is now less than half price online), an attempt to appeal to the makeup maximalists with an edge who made the brand a top-seller at Sephora years ago.
This is not the first time we have attempted to rebirth and rebrand KVD, said Sarah Koch, Kendos senior vice president and general manager. It felt like it needed a full undoing.
Is it enough to save the brand? The number of customers who might respond to KVDs full-coverage, full-face makeup targets is smaller than it once was, as more-natural looks that prioritise skin care have exploded in popularity during the pandemic.
And those consumers have plenty of influencer-fronted brands to choose from; KVD, which can no longer lean on its founders instantly recognisable look, is at a disadvantage. With her beauty line, Von D was really selling her persona: tattoos, non-conformity, glamour, rock n roll, red lipstick and staunch veganism. KVD has to sell that same combination without evoking the founder herself.
They can hang on if they do a really quick job of distilling what it was about her her persona, her lifestyle and then elevating that into redefining the brand, said Shireen Jiwan, founder of Sleuth Brand Consulting. The brand, the company, the business, the product line, exist specifically because of her. People werent buying lipstick they were buying her a slice of her.
Von D did not respond for comment.
Kat Von D was Kendos first venture back in 2008, and quickly became a top selling makeup range at Sephora. Marc Jacobs Beauty debuted in 2013 and Fenty Beauty in 2017, cementing Kendos agenda-setting reputation in the beauty industry. Von D was a pioneer in several ways, both as an early example of a celebrity beauty influencer and for making her line vegan and cruelty-free, just as those concepts were hitting the mainstream.
Von D always courted controversy, but the headlines she generated were more extreme, and undeniably bad for business, in recent years. Rumours that the tattoo artist was anti-Semitic and anti-vaccine swirled online for years (she denied both claims in a 2019 YouTube video).
Her beauty line also went through an identity crisis. Before Von D left, campaigns started to take a dark turn, with solemn imagery that was too subversive for selling makeup, said Tara Loftis, Kendos global vice president of marketing and public relations.
The brand overcorrected, with two years of pink backdrops and cute cats. Many customers felt the line had lost its edge. Von D left, telling fans she wanted to focus on other endeavours, including a singing career. The pandemic hit soon after her departure, which accelerated a trend toward a dewy no makeup makeup aesthetic, played against KVDs strengths. Fewer and fewer customers wanted liquid lipstick and full coverage foundation. KVD Beauty saw sales plummet by about 40 percent between 2018 and 2020, according to a source with knowledge of Kendos finances.
We do have to resurrect, restore and re-engage all brand credibility, loyalty and excitement globally, Loftis said. [Its] not an easy task.
As the beauty industry learned last year, when brand after brand found itself cancelled for racist or misogynistic practices, consumers are quick to turn on companies and founders whose beliefs and actions fail to align with their image.
Consumers can also be quick to come back. A Kearney Consumer Institute survey from January found 33 percent of Americans would boycott a brand over a disagreement with its mission or founder. But over 60 percent of respondents said they would forgive a brand if an authentic apology was offered.
Kendo is betting bold colours and customers loyal to the full-face makeup look will revive KVD Beauty. Source: Courtesy
Its tricky when it comes to these controversial founders, said Katie Thomas, head of the Kearney Consumer Institute. In some ways, brands have to try and stand for something and not try and be everything to everybody but there is still a line there. Once you cross that line its a little tough to get back.
Patricia Hong, partner and managing director at Alvarez & Marsals Consumer and Retail Group, thinks its best to rely on the quality of the product, not the person promoting it. Evolving a brand is easier when there are several hero items.
Many KVD Beauty loyalists come back purely for the gel eyeliner, full coverage foundation and liquid lip colours.
Its that community thats following the product, she said. Thats another way for them to build back up, as opposed to making it all about acquiring a completely new set of customers.
Jessica Hudson, 29, a forensic psychology student, started using KVD Beauty because the foundation could cover face tattoos and didnt give her a rash. Hudson said shell keep using KVD Beauty as long as Von D isnt associated with the brand.
Jo Threlfall, 28, a freelance blogger and writer from Leeds, said her holy grail lip colours are KVD Beautys Santa Sangre and Outlaw.
If they got rid of my red lipstick Id be devastated, Threlfall said.
Whats Selling in Beauty Right Now
Why Beauty Brands Are Struggling to Develop New Products
The Hidden Network Churning Out Celebrity and Influencer Beauty Line
The rest is here:
- According to artists, the Best and Worst Types of Tattoos To Get - Central Recorder - November 23rd, 2021
- Go Behind the Scenes of Succession with Jihae - TownandCountrymag.com - November 23rd, 2021
- Im a makeup artist and these are the most annoying things clients do PLEASE put your phone away... - The US Sun - November 9th, 2021
- Ariana Grande on Creating the Perfect rem Beauty Makeup Line And Secret "Harry Potter" Reference - Seventeen.com - November 9th, 2021
- All New Beauty Launches Arriving in November 2021 - TeenVogue.com - November 9th, 2021
- Katherine Ryan: I thought plastic surgery was aspirational - The Guardian - November 9th, 2021
- Reese Witherspoon's daughter complains to this fellow celeb child about mom-lookalike comparisons, more news - Wonderwall - November 9th, 2021
- Travis Barker's Utterly Distraught Ex-Wife Shanna Moakler Sobs Into The Phone After Rocker Covers Up Tattoo Of Her Name With New Fiance Kourtney... - October 29th, 2021
- Why Are NFL Players So Obsessed With The Dark Knight? - The Ringer - October 29th, 2021
- National salon franchise coming to Milwaukee's Third Ward - BizTimes Milwaukee - October 29th, 2021
- Allouez gets updates on Webster Avenue, south landfill - The Press-Times - October 29th, 2021
- 23 Thanksgiving Makeup Ideas That Pair Well With Pumpkin Pie - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 29th, 2021
- Kaiit On Her Epic Tattoo Collection, Musical Inspirations And Love For 1920s Makeup - The Urban List - October 17th, 2021
- Inside the techniques and ideas behind portrait tattoos - Los Angeles Times - October 17th, 2021
- Mama June, 42, teases new boo then cozies up to handsome tattoo artist after relationship with boy toy Ti... - The US Sun - October 17th, 2021
- Tattoo their name on your body if you love them. Get their face if you really care - Yahoo News - October 17th, 2021
- How Inked made its mark on local television history - The Spinoff - October 5th, 2021
- 13 Latinx-Owned Beauty Brands to Support Now and Always - Vogue - October 5th, 2021
- This female tattoo artist is making her mark in a male-dominated field | Venture - Daily Hive - September 1st, 2021
- The Best Mens Makeup? 5 Pros Share Their Go-To Picks - Vogue - September 1st, 2021
- He's All That Ending, Explained: Do Padgett and Cameron End Up Together? - The Cinemaholic - September 1st, 2021
- Tattoos in the Workplace in 2021 - Fife Free Press - September 1st, 2021
- News to note : Women in Afghanistan fear for their lives and futures, trouble at Times Up & more - Boss Betty - August 20th, 2021
- Machine Gun Kelly Reveals Dramatic Head Tattoo After Shaving off His Hair - PopCulture.com - August 20th, 2021
- 24 of the best beauty products on Amazon that are worth adding to cart - CNN - August 20th, 2021
- This Woman Covered Her Face and Body Tattoos to See if Her Family Would Recognize Her - menshealth.com - August 20th, 2021
- We Tried 8 Viral TikTok Beauty Trends To See If They Really Work - Todayuknews - Todayuknews - August 20th, 2021
- 7 New Netflix Shows You Can Watch This Weekend - Best Life - August 6th, 2021
- Ink positive: how tattoos can heal the mind as well as adorn the body - The Guardian - August 6th, 2021
- 18 Celebs Who Have Looked Back At Their Iconic Past Looks And Gone, "Never Again" - BuzzFeed - August 6th, 2021
- Graphic Eyeliner Is The Makeup Trend You Need Right Now - OK! - July 22nd, 2021
- Permanent makeup: Give yourself a winter beauty boost - New Zealand Herald - July 22nd, 2021
- Celebrities Who Have Had Tattoos Removed: Stars Who Have Undergone the Painful Laser Process - Life&Style Weekly - July 8th, 2021
- Watch This Man React to Seeing His Girlfriend Without Face Tattoos for the First Time - menshealth.com - July 8th, 2021
- Which Kardashian-Jenners Have Tattoos? Photos of Khloe, Rob, Kylie, Kendall and Kris Ink - Life&Style Weekly - July 8th, 2021
- Marion to adopt body art regulations | Sippican - Sippican Week - July 8th, 2021
- Ludacris On Why He Ditched Plan To Get Covered In Tattoos - AllHipHop - July 8th, 2021
- Brooke Shields on her iconic brows and her definition of self-care - Glossy - July 8th, 2021
- 7 Best Lip Stains That Give You A Popsicle Finish - MissMalini - July 8th, 2021
- Skin Check-In with Dr. Will: The Top-Requested Aesthetic Procedures and Treatments for Summer 2021 - Life&Style Weekly - June 26th, 2021
- Viral video of full body tattoo transformation shows the power of a good makeup artist - Digital Journal - June 26th, 2021
- How to use viral Rampage tattoo filter on TikTok and Instagram - Dexerto - June 9th, 2021
- 7 Reasons to Venture Into the Cosmetics Industry - ABCmoney.co.uk - May 28th, 2021
- The answer to eyebrows gone wrong on Jessops Journeys - ABC 4 - May 28th, 2021
- Iconic 90s Beauty Products That Are Being Revived in 2021 - Femina - May 28th, 2021
- Best Sunscreen for Year-Round UV Protection - Popular Science - May 28th, 2021
- Teen Mom 2s Briana DeJesus is getting serious with boyfriend Javi See photo of them from the reunion - Monsters and Critics - May 28th, 2021
- Landon Barker Gushes Over Kourtney K.'s 'Fire' Tattoo on Travis - In Touch Weekly - May 16th, 2021
- Aesthetic tattoos that cover scars and beautify, how to get one safely? Explica .co - Explica - May 16th, 2021
- James Charles is being sued, Cara Delevingne is auctioning off a NFT of her vagina, and other beauty news - Buro 24/7 Singapore - May 16th, 2021
- Britain's 'Most Tattooed Woman' Covered Up All of Her Ink for a Day - menshealth.com - May 4th, 2021
- Mama June: June Shannon gives Parenting Advice Shares Dos And Donts; Know Which Negative Comment Bothered Her The Most - TV Season Spoilers - May 4th, 2021
- Tinkerbell with tattoos, inked Incredibles; Disney to allow visible tattoos on cast members - WKRG News 5 - April 19th, 2021
- The Ron Swanson Mistake You Never Noticed In Parks And Recreation - Looper - April 4th, 2021
- Ireland Baldwin Reveals Creative Use For David Bowie Tattoo - The Inquisitr News - April 4th, 2021
- Watch Travis Barkers Daughter Alabama Cover Up His Face Tattoos With Makeup - menshealth.com - April 4th, 2021
- What Is Microshading? Heres What To Know About the No-Maintenance, Feathery Brows Everyones Talking About - Well+Good - March 8th, 2021
- Jennifer Aniston finally reveals the meaning behind her '11 11' wrist tattoo - Cosmopolitan UK - March 8th, 2021
- Popular new makeup products to try in 2021 - Belfast Live - February 19th, 2021
- Woman Reacts To Seeing Boyfriend For First Time Without Tattoo-Covered Face - BroBible - February 19th, 2021
- Test Pattern Director Shatara Michelle Ford on Making Their First Film and Being Emotionally Truthful - TheStranger.com - February 19th, 2021
- Here's Why Jeffree Star's 'Delicious' Neck Tattoo Is One Of His Favorites - TheThings - February 17th, 2021
- Blue Light Body Arts to open on the bricks in spring - Hays Daily News - February 17th, 2021
- Exploring the ever-diminishing returns of the Crow franchise - The Spool - February 14th, 2021
- 'Justice League': Check out Jared Leto's freaky Joker in the trailer for Zack Snyder's new HBO Max cut - USA TODAY - February 14th, 2021
- JUSTICE LEAGUE Director Zack Snyder Addresses Absence Of The Joker's SUICIDE SQUAD Tattoos In The Snyder Cut - CBM (Comic Book Movie) - February 11th, 2021
- Zack Snyder explains why Joker's tattoos were removed in Justice League - Explica - February 11th, 2021
- How TikTok communists are reclaiming the hammer and sickle - i-D - February 11th, 2021
- Why Leto's Joker Doesn't Have His "Damaged" Tattoo In Justice League - Screen Rant - February 10th, 2021
- Site of the day: Want a tattoo? You have to download this app - Explica - February 10th, 2021
- Salma Hayek Shows off Chest Tattoos for New Movie 'Bliss' - PopCulture.com - February 7th, 2021
- The rise of beauty enhancements and Maya Darwiche - Sunrise News - February 7th, 2021
- The eyes have it: Above-the-mask makeup sees pandemic surge - CBC.ca - February 7th, 2021
- BB14 promo: Salman Khan schools Abhinav for his choice of words; asks if he's 'going in the right direction' - Times Now - February 7th, 2021
- Tattoo Stamp - MILK MAKEUP | Sephora - February 6th, 2021
- Eye Studio Color Tattoo 24HR Cream Gel Eyeshadow - Maybelline - February 6th, 2021
- Salma Hayek flaunts new large tattoo and fans freak out - HOLA USA - February 6th, 2021
- Gigi Hadid Now Has A Tattoo Tribute To Baby Girl And It Matches Zayn Maliks - Capital - February 4th, 2021
- Bobrisky lavishes N596k while shopping for lady that tattooed him on her back - Legit.ng - February 4th, 2021
- Make-up artist Mei Pang is turning the internet into her beauty playground - Dazed - February 4th, 2021