On February 22, the Instagram feed of KVD Vegan Beauty, the makeup brand formerly known as Kat Von D Beauty, was wiped clean.
It was a not-so-subtle signal that Kendo Brands, the LVMH-owned incubator behind the brand as well as beauty lines from Rihanna, Marc Jacobs and others, was looking to make a fresh start with one of its earliest success stories.
The decision to start fresh wasnt entirely Kendos choice. In January 2020, Kat Von D, real name Katherine Von Drachenberg, exited the brand she had founded nearly 12 years earlier. By then, the tattoo artist was better known to many for her controversies including allegations of antisemitism and flirting with the anti-vaccination movement than her body art or makeup skills.
Changing the brands name last year was only the beginning. This week, Kendo dropped the vegan, and announced that KVD Beauty stands not for Kat Von D, but for Kara, Veritas, Decora, or Value, Truth and Beauty in Latin. Miryam Lumpini, another tattoo artist, was enlisted to help the line return to its tattoo inspired beauty roots. Four makeup artists most heavily tattooed have signed on to work with the brand. By the end of next year, the more modern, black and gilded branding will appear in-store, on products, on packaging and throughout all marketing and social media content. KVD Beauty will focus on full coverage, full face makeup (a lightweight, medium coverage True Portrait foundation is now less than half price online), an attempt to appeal to the makeup maximalists with an edge who made the brand a top-seller at Sephora years ago.
This is not the first time we have attempted to rebirth and rebrand KVD, said Sarah Koch, Kendos senior vice president and general manager. It felt like it needed a full undoing.
Is it enough to save the brand? The number of customers who might respond to KVDs full-coverage, full-face makeup targets is smaller than it once was, as more-natural looks that prioritise skin care have exploded in popularity during the pandemic.
And those consumers have plenty of influencer-fronted brands to choose from; KVD, which can no longer lean on its founders instantly recognisable look, is at a disadvantage. With her beauty line, Von D was really selling her persona: tattoos, non-conformity, glamour, rock n roll, red lipstick and staunch veganism. KVD has to sell that same combination without evoking the founder herself.
They can hang on if they do a really quick job of distilling what it was about her her persona, her lifestyle and then elevating that into redefining the brand, said Shireen Jiwan, founder of Sleuth Brand Consulting. The brand, the company, the business, the product line, exist specifically because of her. People werent buying lipstick they were buying her a slice of her.
Von D did not respond for comment.
Kat Von D was Kendos first venture back in 2008, and quickly became a top selling makeup range at Sephora. Marc Jacobs Beauty debuted in 2013 and Fenty Beauty in 2017, cementing Kendos agenda-setting reputation in the beauty industry. Von D was a pioneer in several ways, both as an early example of a celebrity beauty influencer and for making her line vegan and cruelty-free, just as those concepts were hitting the mainstream.
Von D always courted controversy, but the headlines she generated were more extreme, and undeniably bad for business, in recent years. Rumours that the tattoo artist was anti-Semitic and anti-vaccine swirled online for years (she denied both claims in a 2019 YouTube video).
Her beauty line also went through an identity crisis. Before Von D left, campaigns started to take a dark turn, with solemn imagery that was too subversive for selling makeup, said Tara Loftis, Kendos global vice president of marketing and public relations.
The brand overcorrected, with two years of pink backdrops and cute cats. Many customers felt the line had lost its edge. Von D left, telling fans she wanted to focus on other endeavours, including a singing career. The pandemic hit soon after her departure, which accelerated a trend toward a dewy no makeup makeup aesthetic, played against KVDs strengths. Fewer and fewer customers wanted liquid lipstick and full coverage foundation. KVD Beauty saw sales plummet by about 40 percent between 2018 and 2020, according to a source with knowledge of Kendos finances.
We do have to resurrect, restore and re-engage all brand credibility, loyalty and excitement globally, Loftis said. [Its] not an easy task.
As the beauty industry learned last year, when brand after brand found itself cancelled for racist or misogynistic practices, consumers are quick to turn on companies and founders whose beliefs and actions fail to align with their image.
Consumers can also be quick to come back. A Kearney Consumer Institute survey from January found 33 percent of Americans would boycott a brand over a disagreement with its mission or founder. But over 60 percent of respondents said they would forgive a brand if an authentic apology was offered.
Kendo is betting bold colours and customers loyal to the full-face makeup look will revive KVD Beauty. Source: Courtesy
Its tricky when it comes to these controversial founders, said Katie Thomas, head of the Kearney Consumer Institute. In some ways, brands have to try and stand for something and not try and be everything to everybody but there is still a line there. Once you cross that line its a little tough to get back.
Patricia Hong, partner and managing director at Alvarez & Marsals Consumer and Retail Group, thinks its best to rely on the quality of the product, not the person promoting it. Evolving a brand is easier when there are several hero items.
Many KVD Beauty loyalists come back purely for the gel eyeliner, full coverage foundation and liquid lip colours.
Its that community thats following the product, she said. Thats another way for them to build back up, as opposed to making it all about acquiring a completely new set of customers.
Jessica Hudson, 29, a forensic psychology student, started using KVD Beauty because the foundation could cover face tattoos and didnt give her a rash. Hudson said shell keep using KVD Beauty as long as Von D isnt associated with the brand.
Jo Threlfall, 28, a freelance blogger and writer from Leeds, said her holy grail lip colours are KVD Beautys Santa Sangre and Outlaw.
If they got rid of my red lipstick Id be devastated, Threlfall said.
Whats Selling in Beauty Right Now
Why Beauty Brands Are Struggling to Develop New Products
The Hidden Network Churning Out Celebrity and Influencer Beauty Line
The rest is here:
- The Ron Swanson Mistake You Never Noticed In Parks And Recreation - Looper - April 4th, 2021
- Ireland Baldwin Reveals Creative Use For David Bowie Tattoo - The Inquisitr News - April 4th, 2021
- Watch Travis Barkers Daughter Alabama Cover Up His Face Tattoos With Makeup - menshealth.com - April 4th, 2021
- What Is Microshading? Heres What To Know About the No-Maintenance, Feathery Brows Everyones Talking About - Well+Good - March 8th, 2021
- Jennifer Aniston finally reveals the meaning behind her '11 11' wrist tattoo - Cosmopolitan UK - March 8th, 2021
- Popular new makeup products to try in 2021 - Belfast Live - February 19th, 2021
- Woman Reacts To Seeing Boyfriend For First Time Without Tattoo-Covered Face - BroBible - February 19th, 2021
- Test Pattern Director Shatara Michelle Ford on Making Their First Film and Being Emotionally Truthful - TheStranger.com - February 19th, 2021
- Here's Why Jeffree Star's 'Delicious' Neck Tattoo Is One Of His Favorites - TheThings - February 17th, 2021
- Blue Light Body Arts to open on the bricks in spring - Hays Daily News - February 17th, 2021
- Exploring the ever-diminishing returns of the Crow franchise - The Spool - February 14th, 2021
- 'Justice League': Check out Jared Leto's freaky Joker in the trailer for Zack Snyder's new HBO Max cut - USA TODAY - February 14th, 2021
- JUSTICE LEAGUE Director Zack Snyder Addresses Absence Of The Joker's SUICIDE SQUAD Tattoos In The Snyder Cut - CBM (Comic Book Movie) - February 11th, 2021
- Zack Snyder explains why Joker's tattoos were removed in Justice League - Explica - February 11th, 2021
- How TikTok communists are reclaiming the hammer and sickle - i-D - February 11th, 2021
- Why Leto's Joker Doesn't Have His "Damaged" Tattoo In Justice League - Screen Rant - February 10th, 2021
- Site of the day: Want a tattoo? You have to download this app - Explica - February 10th, 2021
- Salma Hayek Shows off Chest Tattoos for New Movie 'Bliss' - PopCulture.com - February 7th, 2021
- The rise of beauty enhancements and Maya Darwiche - Sunrise News - February 7th, 2021
- The eyes have it: Above-the-mask makeup sees pandemic surge - CBC.ca - February 7th, 2021
- BB14 promo: Salman Khan schools Abhinav for his choice of words; asks if he's 'going in the right direction' - Times Now - February 7th, 2021
- Tattoo Stamp - MILK MAKEUP | Sephora - February 6th, 2021
- Eye Studio Color Tattoo 24HR Cream Gel Eyeshadow - Maybelline - February 6th, 2021
- Salma Hayek flaunts new large tattoo and fans freak out - HOLA USA - February 6th, 2021
- Gigi Hadid Now Has A Tattoo Tribute To Baby Girl And It Matches Zayn Maliks - Capital - February 4th, 2021
- Bobrisky lavishes N596k while shopping for lady that tattooed him on her back - Legit.ng - February 4th, 2021
- Make-up artist Mei Pang is turning the internet into her beauty playground - Dazed - February 4th, 2021
- Nick Carter of Backstreet Boys Covered Up His Paris Hilton Tattoo With a Skull and Crossbones - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 4th, 2021
- Two Singaporean women pioneering in the rise of hand-poked tattoos - News24 - February 4th, 2021
- Britney Spears Fans Concerned About Singers Well-Being After Her Latest Video Upload - The Inquisitr - February 4th, 2021
- Priyanka Chopra is a sight to behold as the bold and beautiful cover star of Elle UK - Bollywood Hungama - February 4th, 2021
- Promised Neverland: 10 Great Emma Cosplay You Have To See | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 4th, 2021
- The Multiple Personalities of Johnny Depp: The Smearing of Makeup and a Beloved Actors Career - Mandatory - February 2nd, 2021
- Hunter Schafer on the Reverb of Euphorias Makeup and Her Road-Trip Beauty Essentials - Vanity Fair - January 24th, 2021
- BTS' Jungkook reveals tattoos on show and fans are excited to get a close-up view - CNA - January 24th, 2021
- Forget microblading... These eyebrow tattoo stickers are the in-thing - Jacaranda FM - January 24th, 2021
- Jurassic World: Age, Height, & 8 Other Things You Didn't Know About Jeff Goldblum - Screen Rant - January 24th, 2021
- Foundation getting in the way of your natural freckles? Here's how you can make them pop again - News24 - January 20th, 2021
- Forget Shoes, It's About the Lipstick: Hollywood Stylists Share Lessons Learned From Working in a Pandemic - Hollywood Reporter - January 15th, 2021
- This designer is giving the ancient art of henna a modern makeover - CNN - January 15th, 2021
- Apex Legends: 10 Loba Cosplays That Prove She Is The Best Character - TheGamer - January 15th, 2021
- New fashion trend went viral, women tattooing tattoos to hide dark circles and stretch mark - Primetime - January 12th, 2021
- Makeup trends 2021 | Beauty - MAG THE WEEKLY - Mag The Weekly Magazine - January 12th, 2021
- Assassins Creed Valhalla: 10 Female Eivor Cosplays That Are Battle-Ready - TheGamer - January 12th, 2021
- Justin Bieber Covered Up All His Tattoos for the Anyone Music Video and the Video Is Mesmerizing to Watch - Us Weekly - January 9th, 2021
- Fans Think Cardi B Deserves A Superhero Name | TheThings - TheThings - January 9th, 2021
- Priyanka Chopra In Trouble With UK Cops After Breaking Lockdown Rules - Talent Recap - January 9th, 2021
- Nikita Dragun Masters The Underboob Look In Metallic Bandeau Top With Matching Thigh-High Slit Skirt - The Inquisitr News - January 3rd, 2021
- Justin Bieber Shared a Video of Himself Getting His Tattoos Covered Up for His New "Anyone" Music Video Watch - Allure - January 3rd, 2021
- Prateik Babbar experiments with his hair colour again, goes from red to blue - Republic World - December 28th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077: 5 Things That Make No Sense About V (& 5 Fan Theories That Really Do) - TheGamer - December 28th, 2020
- Fashion trends that originated from other cultures - Los Angeles Times - December 28th, 2020
- 89 Best Truth or Dare Questions and Dares - Teen Vogue - December 28th, 2020
- Louisa Johnson Showcases Chest Tattoo In Low-Cut White Top For A Series Of Close-Up Snaps - The Inquisitr - December 23rd, 2020
- Get the Look: a gold mine of information about gilded makeup looks - Irish Examiner - December 21st, 2020
- Replicating Success In The ECommerce World: A Case Study With James Khuri - Forbes - December 21st, 2020
- Pete Davidson is reportedly in the process of removing all of his tattoos - 21-Dec-2020 - NZ Entertainment news - NZCity - December 21st, 2020
- TRIED & TESTED: "I got my eyebrows tattooed with a freehand blade. Here's how it went." - Mamamia - December 18th, 2020
- Permanent Makeup Information: Eyeliner, Lipstick, and More - December 18th, 2020
- People Have a Lot of Feelings About Pete Davidson Removing All of His Tattoos - POPSUGAR - December 17th, 2020
- Are Hair and Beauty Salons Allowed to Be Open in Tier 3? - POPSUGAR United Kingdom - December 17th, 2020
- Docs with Tattoos: More Relatable to Patients? - MedPage Today - December 14th, 2020
- Keep Your Eye On These Young Designers From Around the World - W Magazine - December 3rd, 2020
- Carmen Electra, 48, Nearly Bursts Out Of Plunging Corset While Caressing Her Chest - The Inquisitr - November 26th, 2020
- 7 of the best and 6 of the worst beauty trends of the year, so far - INSIDER - November 25th, 2020
- Guns N Roses Stars Daughter Draws All Eyes To Her Backside As She Strikes A Sultry Pose With ... - Metalhead Zone - November 25th, 2020
- Gen-Z is finding alternatives to traditional mental health resources through social media - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 21st, 2020
- KVD Vegan Beauty Debuts Holiday 2020 with First-Ever Fully-Recycled Eyeshadow Palette, Dazzling Shadows Sticks, Vegan Lashes and a Plethora of... - November 20th, 2020
- Astanza Wins Top Aesthetic Company, Best Laser Service and Training, and Best Laser Company to Work For in the Aesthetic Everything 2020 Aesthetic and... - November 20th, 2020
- Valeria Micropigmentation Is One of The Most Trusted Solution for Permanent Makeup - Press Release - Digital Journal - November 18th, 2020
- Revealed: The Get The Gloss Beauty and Wellness Awards 2020 winners - Get The Gloss - November 18th, 2020
- Queen Icon Roger Taylors Daughter Tiger Lily Looks Sexy In Red, Shows A Secret Tattoo And Explains ... - Metalhead Zone - November 18th, 2020
- New Zealand has just elected one of the most diverse parliaments in the world. Here's how it stacks up - KESQ - November 18th, 2020
- Cardi B Puts Her Colorful Leg Tattoo on Display in a Red Reebok Outfit from Her New Collection - AmoMama - November 16th, 2020
- Lee Sang Yeob Hilariously Pretends To Be Bentley From The Future On The Return Of Superman - soompi - November 16th, 2020
- Tejaswini Pandit Flaunts A Rare Barcode Tattoo, Fans Wonder What Scanning It Will Lead To? - Zee Kannada - November 12th, 2020
- Chris Evans Has 9 Hidden Tattoos Here's What They Mean - POPSUGAR - November 11th, 2020
- Assassins Creed Valhalla Will Feature Photo Mode at Launch. Know All The Updates Right Here ! - Stanford Arts Review - November 9th, 2020
- 'Welcome to Plathville': The Plaths Are More Divided Than Ever in the Season 2 Sneak Peek Moriah Calls Her Parents' House a 'Cage,' Ethan Gets a... - November 9th, 2020
- 'The Serbs stared at us, so we stared back. They have no awareness of fat people' - Haaretz.com - November 9th, 2020