It's hard knowing whether you're going to like something for the rest of your life. For example, I used to hate reality television, but that was until the summer I spent watching every season of Vanderpump Rules. Everyone hates coffee the first time they try ituntil they learn the powers of the magical substance. And making the decision to tattoo something on your bodyonly to realize later that you wish you hadn'tis a feeling shared by us regular people *and* celebrities alike.
Whether it's the name of a partner who ends up cheating on them (eeek), something they thought was profound when they were younger that just doesn't translate anymore (hi, Nicole Richie!), or a text that afterward they realized was, in fact, spelled wrong, celebrities are guilty of some common mistakes when it comes to tattoos.
While some stars with regrettable ink have decided to just erase the mistake from the skin with a (painful and expensive) removal process, there are others who have opted to cover up past tats, or just learned to fess up and live with their misspellings or badly drawn designs. If you're considering making your own permanent statement on your skin, check out this list of celebs who regret their tattoos...before you find yourself under the tattoo needle.
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below
When Ariana Grande's smash hit "7 Rings" was released in 2019, it smashed a ton of records, including quickly becoming the biggest Spotify debut not just for Ariana herself but for all time, according to MTV UK. Which would make sense that the Grammy winner would want to commemorate the moment in some way, like permanently.
Ariana debuted her new palm tattoo that read "7 rings" on social media, but followers pointed out that instead of paying tribute to her hit song, the ink actually read "Japanese BBQ grill."Ariana called in some lifelinesincluding her Japanese tutorto fix the mistake. "rip tiny charcoal grill. miss u man. i actually really like u," she wrote on her Instagram Story afterward, Cosmopolitan reports.
The singer has also made some *cough* alterations over the years, Elle reports, including covering up several tattoos she got with ex-fiance Pete Davidson.
Khloe Kardashian worked with doctors for years to remove a tattoo on her lower back that she got when she was 16 in honor of her father, Robert Kardashian. The design included a cross and angel wings, with the word "Daddy" written above them.
On an Instagram post from one of the removal procedures, Khloe wrote that it was the "end of an era" and that the ink was "not so cute anymore."However, Khloe does still carry the memory of her dad with her via her tattoo on her wrist that reads "I love you" in his handwriting.
Before there was Brangelina, Angelina Jolie was married to Billy Bob Thorton, and the Academy Award winner showcased her love for the fellow actor by getting his name tattooed on her upper arm. However, after the marriage went south in the early 2000s, Angelina had the tattoo removed, according to Yahoo News, and later ended up with the coordinates of the birthplaces for her children and (now ex) husband Brad Pitt in its place.
Like Eva, actress Kaley Cuoco had some permanent tributes to an ex-husband that she had to take care of when their marriage turned out to be less than, well, permanent. But unlike others on this list, The Flight Attendant star decided to cover up the Roman numerals of her wedding date to former tennis pro Ryan Sweeting with some new ink, a moth with its wings spread.
On a visit to The Ellen Show in 2016, Kaley revealed the simple reason why she chose a moth: "Because it was big enough to cover the numbers...the wings. Big wings," she said. "It's just what I picked out when I was there."
When Denise Richards and Charlie Sheen split, instead of removing the tattoo of her ex-husband's name from her ankle, the former Real Housewife covered it with a whimsical fairy.
The pop superstar had already removed one tattoo when she posted on Instagram that she was thinking about erasing a second last March. Britney decided it was time for her Madonna-inspired kabbalah tattoo on the back of her neck to go in 2008, per Us, and the latest ink she's thinking about getting removed is a pair of pink dice on her wrist that she got with her ex-husband Kevin Federline on a trip to Ireland in 2004.
Albert Einstein once said 'God does not play dice with the universe,'" she wrote in the caption of the Instagram post. ". so maybe I shouldnt have gotten the pink dice 7 on my left arm !!!!! I dont even like ink . guess I should remove it ?!?!!!!
If you haven't learned yet that you should always (always!) spellcheck your tattoos, Hayden Panettiere is here with another friendly reminder. While the Nashville star intended to get inked with the phrase "Live without regrets" in Italian on her back, the third word is intentionally misspelled with an extra "i."
While Hayden seemed to take the mistake in stride, telling Glamour that since it's spelled wrong, "I literally have to live by that advice," the Daily Mail reported later that the actress was in the process of getting it removed.
Even celebrities do things when they're younger that they regret later in life. For Jessica Alba, one of those things is the flower tattoo she got on the back of her neck when she was 17. "Im so irritated that I got it," the Honest Company founder told Refinery29. "I got it lasered many times and its not coming out." Jessica said she also has a bow in the middle of her lower back that feels like "kind of a tramp stamp" that she wishes she hadn't gotten.
But three tattoos she'll never regret? The zodiac signs' constellations of her three kids that she has on her left arm.
9Kat Von D
Initially after she split from Jesse James, Kat Von D said she would be keeping the tattoo of Jesse James' fifth-grade photo. But the tattoo artist and makeup entrepreneur later decided it was time to say goodbye to the ink.
Kat documented the experience of getting the tat removed via laser on Instagram, captioning a montage post of her session, "AND SO IT BEGINS! First round of tattoo removal well underway! 🙂 #freshstart."
Kelly Osbourne began the process of saying goodbye to two tattoos last year: the word "Lovely" on her left wrist and keyboard on the back of her right arm, Allure reports. The Instagram post of the star suffering through the pain of removal came after she revealed in her daily column in British magazine Closer that she was planning on removing most of her 15 tattoos, per Us Weekly.
"Some still have a special meaning, like the matching ones my brother Jack and I have of each other's names," she wrote. "But now I feel like some were a mistake."
Actress and activist Eva Longoria has had all four of her tattoos removed, including one that was the date of her marriage to former husband Tony Parker and the word "nine" on the back of her neck, the former NBA player's jersey number.
In 2016, she documented a trip to the doctor to remove the remaining two tatsa star on her wrist and a cross on her lower back. "This is a tale for all young kids," she said in the series of Snapchats, Revelist reports. "It hurts to get a tattoo, but it's ten times worse getting it off!"
Sarah Hyland has multiple tattoos, but the Modern Family star decided she had outgrown one of them in 2019. The actress shared a video on Instagram Stories of her getting laser tattoo removal that looked painful AF, and based on the location of the laser, the most likely candidate of the tat she was saying goodbye to was a purple dinosaur on her butt that she got just two years earlier.
In 1995, Pamela Anderson did the opposite of most people on this list and got a string of barbed wire tattooed on her upper arm when she got a movie role that called for her to get a barbed wire tattoo painted on every day. Nineteen years later, it appeared that Pam was ready to move on and started the process of removing the ink, according to Huff Post.
If you know one thing about Adam Levine it's likely one of these three: he's the former frontman of Maroon 5, he used to be a judge on The Voice, or that he's got his fair share of tattoos. Adam told Anderson Cooper that he would never cover up any of his ink but there's one that he now thinks is "pretty stupid."
The tat in question is on his shoulder and was inspired by a Russian prison tattoo but the singer thinks the "bastardized" version ended up looking more like a cauliflower. "I tried to surround it with something and then it just got even worse," he said. "But there's a lot more, so at least I can focus on those."
After splitting from husband of nine years Seal, Heidi Klum finalized the end of their marriage by removing the tattoo of his name from her right inner arm. The TV host and "Kiss From a Rose" singer commemorated their fourth wedding anniversary with a vow renewal ceremony and tats of each other's names. A decision that later, for Heidi, did not make the cut.
When it comes to tattoos, Justin Beiber started out small, with the outline of a seagull on his lower abs that he told GQ his family all got as a tribute to a book they love.
Today, Biebs has literally dozens of tattoos on his body, but his most infamous might be on his wrist and look very similar to a pop singer/Disney star ex-girlfriend. "I tried to cover her face up with some shading, but people still know," he told the publication.
In an effort to show her love for her (now ex) husband Simon Barney, Tamra Judge had his name tattooed on her left ring finger. Unfortunately for the former Real Housewives star, the marriage ended soon after. Tamra had the ink removed with the help of Dr. Terry Dubrow (and husband to former RHOC cast member Heather Dubrow), according to Showbiz Cheat Sheet.
In his 27 years, Pete Davidson has added over 100 tattoos to his ink collection, and fans were shocked last December when reports surfaced that the SNL star is in the process of getting not one, not two, but all of them removed. During a virtual Q&A about The King of Staten Island, the actor allegedly said that after spending hours in the makeup chair getting his tattoos covered up each day for shooting, he decided it would be easier to just laser them off.
Pete has already altered several of his tats, Elle reports, including the ones he got with ex-fianc Ariana Grande.
Ariana isn't the only singer who had a slight hiccup with their tattoo in honor of a hit song. Jessie J revealed her misspelled tattoo on Instagram when she posted a photo of herself in a bikini, but before fans had the chance to call out the mistake, the singer owned up to it in the caption.
"Yes, my tattoo says...'dont loose who you are in the blur of the stars,'" she wrote, Buzzfeed reports. "Yes, they are MY lyrics from my song, 'Who You Are.' Yes, that I wrote. Yes, I spelt the tattoo wrong. Yes, I repeat its spelt wrong." But instead of getting the ink removed, Jessie says, at least for now, she'll stick to hiding the tat by wearing high-waisted everything.
While it is faint, if you look closely at Jennifer Lawrence's right hand, in light reddish-brown ink is H20. Yes, the chemical formula for water, and yes, the Oscar winner knows that the tat is actually written incorrectly. At a Comic-Con panel in 2015 J Law explained that she was hanging out with Liam Hemsworth's family and they were all getting tattoos and she decided she should as well.
"I was like, 'Well I'm always gonna need to be hydrated, so I guess I should just get H2O on my hand,'" she said, Vogue reports. However, the Passengers star realized afterward that the "2" in the design is too high and admitted,"I should have Googled it before I got it tattooed on my body forever."
Another celebrity who is a member of the "Tattoos We Got When We Were Younger That We Now Regret" Club is Nicole Richie. The actress told E! that tattoo on her wrist that says "Virgin" is her "biggest regret." "See this tattoo? It says virgin,' you guys. It's embarrassing and desperate," she said. "Now, I am a Virgo so when I was 16 I thought, 'Ooh I'm going to be different and I'm going to put virgin, because the Virgin is the sign for Virgo." She joked that the best option she's come up with is to add an "ia" to the end of it and tell people she's from Virginia, but she's afraid people won't buy it.
Nicole has also expressed regret over two other tattoos: her "butt crack cross" and the bow alongside her last name on the back of her neck.
When it comes to a specific tattoo, Demi Lovato was less "Sorry Not Sorry" and more actually just sorry. The singer told Kelly Ripa and Michael Strahan on Live! that she regrets getting the image of a pair of lips (her friend's, not hers) on her forearm, calling it "a spur-of-the-moment stupid decision." Instead of getting the ink removed, though, Demi chose to cover up the lips with two detailed roses.
Yes, even The Queen sometimes has regrets. Nicki Minaj was 16 when she got the Chinese characters that read "God is with me always" on her arm, but now that she's older, she's having second thoughts about the ink, Elle Australia reports. "You have no idea what you want to put on your body at the age of 16," the Grammy nominee reportedly said in an interview. "You need to wait until at least 21 and decide."
When Pharrell Williams realized his tattoos no longer made him "happy," the music producer looked into a surprising method of removal. The Grammy winner reportedly was interested in getting rid of his ink through skin grafting, in a process where the new skin is grown in a test tube instead of transplanted from another area on your body, according to the New York Daily News.
Among the tats he had grown out of were the flames on his upper body, telling reporters that, "I got fire on my arms, I don't need fire on my arms! I'm a grown man." However, in the end, TMZ reports that the musician settled for good, old-fashioned laser removal.
Iggy Azalea proved that she was too fancy to mess around with having the names of exes still tattooed on her fingers. When the Australian rapper split from A$AP Rocky, she first crossed his name out on the series of tattoos she had on the inside of the fingers that read "LIVE," "LOVE," and "A$AP." The Grammy nominee did eventually get the tat removed, according to E!.
Blake Shelton will be the first person to say that he thinks the tattoo on his forearm sucks. The Voice star drew the design himself, Showbiz Cheat Sheet reports, and intended for it to two strings of barbed wire that encircle his arm with deer tracks in between. However, he (and fans also) think the tracks ended up looking more like ladybugs than what he intended.
But even though the Grammy nominee isn't a fan, his ink did lend itself to fianc Gwen Stefani sharing a sweet moment on Twitter when her three sons all got temporary tattoos that matched Blake's.
Melanie Griffith and Antonio Banderas were married for 19 years - which is basically forever in Hollywood years. But fans knew the couple was really over when Melanie appeared on the red carpet with the tattoo of his name on her arm partially covered. At first, the actress used makeup to erase Antonio's name, but the Daily Mail reports she eventually made the decision to have the ink permanently removed.
In an effort to make sure they don't make the same mistakes he did, Mark Wahlberg brought two of his kids along with him so they could see for themselves just exactly what they would have to go through if they ever wanted to get a tattoo removed. Ive taken my two older kids to the procedure so they see how painful it is and what I have to go through," The Departed star told Today, as reported by People.
The actor had gotten inked in several places over the years and said the tattoos were still meaningful to him, but he had gotten to the point where erasing them was easier than getting them covered for movie roles.
Adrienne Bailon may have broken up with Rob Kardashian years ago, but the singer is contemplating keeping the faint remnants of the tattoo of his name that remain. The Cheetah Girls star told InTouch that since the ink is on her butt, it's not like many people will see it anyway, and if she ever has kids who end up seeing it, Arienne plans on turning the moment into a "good learning lesson."
When you have the choice of removing your tattoos or coming to work four hours earlier than everyone else, 50 Cent made the decision to go the route of tattoo removal. The rapper turned actor realized while on the set of the movie Twelve that his call time was significantly earlier than everyone else's in the cast just so there would be enough time to cover up his ink.
"If everyone is getting there for 6am, I'm there at 2am. So I was like, 'Oh man, hold up," he told Bang Showbiz. After that, 50 started the painstaking work of removal.
There was a time when Asia Argento says she would have described Rose McGowan as a "sister," and the two even got matching tattoosa simple dot on their ankles. But when the friendship went south in 2018 Asia made how she felt about her former BFF perfectly clear by announcing she was getting the matching tattoo removed.
She made herself even more clear by choosing to cover the tattoo with one of a bloody knife, and writing "Bye bye Rose McGowan" in the Instagram story where she shared the update. It's probably unlikely there are any friendship braceletsor friendship tattoosfor these two in the future.
Nick Lachey (a.k.a. the lead singer of 98 Degrees) road the band's success in the late '90s all the way to the tattoo chair. The musician's upper right arm used to be blessed with a sun that said 98 in the middle, and it was a sad day for fans everywhere when Nick got the sun filled in, covering up the band's name. To be fair though, for a while there, it did seem like the Boy Band era was going to last forever.
Megan Fox's love for Marilyn Monroe runs deepsbut not deep enough to keep her tattoo of the blonde bombshell on her forearm. Marie Claire reports that the actress first got the tat because Marilyn was one of the first people she saw on television and that Megan "always empathized with her." But later, the Jennifer's Body star realized Marilyn's life wasn't maybe wasn't one she wanted to emulate.
"She was a negative person, she was disturbed, bipolar," she said. "I do not want to attract this kind of negative energy in my life."
This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below
- This First-of-Its-Kind Temporary Tattoo Ink is Made to Fade - Freethink - April 19th, 2021
- Tattoo artist accused of spray painting businesses acquitted - KVRR - April 19th, 2021
- Anthony Audy, Vermont Tattoo Artist With Whimsical Style, Dies at 44 - The New York Times - April 19th, 2021
- Move over Kim K, SA tattoo artist Lew Williams is a global reality show star with stigmas to break - TimesLIVE - April 19th, 2021
- Donna Lombardi Of Black Ink Crew Talks Pausing On Tattooing, Being A Businesswoman And More - MadameNoire - April 19th, 2021
- Meet the tattoo artist who helps Vietnamese women healing from physical and emotional trauma - South China Morning Post - April 19th, 2021
- Things to Do Denver: Art Gallery Openings and Exhibits April 16 to 21, 2021 - Westword - April 19th, 2021
- No regrets? I tried the first ever made to fade tattoo - Dazed - April 19th, 2021
- Tattoo Aftercare Products Market Is Rising With COVID-19 Impact Analysis, Development, Forecast To 2021-2027 The Courier - The Courier - April 19th, 2021
- See how tattoo artwork has modified because the 18th century - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - April 4th, 2021
- See how tattoo art has changed since the 18th century - CNN - April 4th, 2021
- The human canvas: Young tattoo artist draws inspiration from the past: 'attack your dreams' - Pilot Tribune - April 4th, 2021
- 5 Best Tattoo Artists in Indianapolis - Kev's Best - April 4th, 2021
- 'Don't you have enough yet?': Justin Bieber's mom reacts to 'Peaches' singer's new neck tattoo - USA TODAY - April 4th, 2021
- Electric Tattoo: Love of art and 'forbidden fruit' drives Asbury Park studio - Asbury Park Press - April 4th, 2021
- 'Almost like a tsunami': How Wilmington tattoo shops are thriving during the pandemic - StarNewsOnline.com - April 4th, 2021
- ONE YEAR GONE | Welch is back in business at Town's End Tattoo - Port Townsend Leader - April 4th, 2021
- Blazing Trails: Women Who Left Their Marks on the Art World - Cheddar - April 4th, 2021
- Screen Time at the Worlds First Physical NFT Gallery, Whatever That Means - Vulture - April 4th, 2021
- Martin County resident and pet tree frog garner national attention as the 2021 Cadbury Easter Bunny - TCPalm - April 4th, 2021
- Tattoo fan spends 8k on ink and body mods including eyeballs and split tongue - Daily Star - April 4th, 2021
- Get Inked At 12 Of Auckland's Best Tattoo Studios | Urban List NZ - The Urban List - April 4th, 2021
- A Guide to All of Drake's 35 Tattoos and Their Meanings - menshealth.com - March 8th, 2021
- Tattoo artist restores Stations of the Cross in Belarus - Catholic News Agency - March 8th, 2021
- Jason Terry shares how he got the Larry O'Brien trophy tattoo - Basketball Network - March 8th, 2021
- How Alisha Gory Moved to the US On Her Own and Established Herself as a Famous Tattoo Artist - Daily Front Row - March 8th, 2021
- Who is Elle Kings husband? Know everything about the tattoo artist - Republic TV - March 8th, 2021
- Local Tattoo shop is seeing business boom amid the pandemic - WTHITV.com - March 8th, 2021
- Shogun's Joy of Torture not for Weak Hearts - Critical Blast - March 8th, 2021
- These Miley Cyrus Tattoos Are Dedicated to Her Exes - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 8th, 2021
- A Film That Tests Assumptions About Race, Rape, and Power - Hyperallergic - March 8th, 2021
- You Need to See Whitney Cummings' Tattoo Tribute to Jennifer Aniston - E! NEWS - March 8th, 2021
- 5 Best Tattoo Artists in Houston - Kev's Best - February 19th, 2021
- Ink Evolution - Flathead Beacon - February 19th, 2021
- It doesnt get easier with time: Smiths continue to move forward while honoring loved ones - Fox17 - February 19th, 2021
- Arteta refuses to confirm whether Aubameyang broke rules by getting tattoo - BT Sport - February 19th, 2021
- Irish tattoo artist recalls the day Britney Spears came to Bray - Newstalk - February 19th, 2021
- Did you know entrepreneur Naman Arora is a top-notch tattoo artist? Read to know more about the creative genius! - News Track English - February 19th, 2021
- 3 Men Shared the Stories Behind the Epic Tattoos They Got to Cover Their Scars - menshealth.com - February 19th, 2021
- Want to get a finger tattoo? Here's what to keep in mind before taking the plunge - VOGUE India - February 17th, 2021
- Arsenal investigate Aubameyang over reported COVID-19 tattoo breach - ESPN - February 17th, 2021
- Tributes paid in memory of talented Blood Rush tattoo artist - Leighton Buzzard Observer - February 17th, 2021
- Artist and Influencer Mikey B Made It is legally trappin art from the hood to Hollywood - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 17th, 2021
- Charlie Cartwright: The Godfather of Black-and-Grey Fine Line Tattooing - Scene 360 - February 17th, 2021
- Exploring the process of becoming a tattoo artist - Argonaut - February 14th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Share the Tattoo Ideas So Bad They Actually Refused to Do Them - menshealth.com - February 14th, 2021
- Tattoo artists reveal the one inking theyve been asked to do but had to refuse - Daily Star - February 11th, 2021
- Show what you love: Manchester resident Lizzie Wright in the running to be Inked magazines next cover girl - Baltimore Sun - February 11th, 2021
- Tattoo artists reveal the one tattoo they have had to refuse to do - Buzz.ie - February 11th, 2021
- These Tattoo Artists Shared the Worst Mistakes Theyve Ever Made - menshealth.com - February 11th, 2021
- Feel the Bern: Warm up with the top 10 Bernie Sanders memes The Rocky Mountain Collegian - Rocky Mountain Collegian - February 11th, 2021
- Tattoo artists reveal their worst mistakes ever and how the clients reacted - Daily Star - February 11th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They Love Doing the Most - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 10th, 2021
- Halsey Doesn't Want To Go 'Overboard' On Pregnancy Cravings - OK! - February 10th, 2021
- Becky G Just Got 2 New Tattoos in One Day, and I Thought I Had a High Pain Threshold - POPSUGAR - February 10th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Best Tattoos They'll Never Get Tired of Doing - menshealth.com - February 10th, 2021
- Nine things tattoo artists hate clients doing when they get inked - Daily Star - February 10th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They're Most Sick of Seeing - menshealth.com - February 7th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Irish Sun - February 7th, 2021
- 'Basic' tattoos artists secretly hate doing - and the ones they'll refuse to give - Cambridgeshire Live - February 6th, 2021
- With Pastel Devil Studio, these artists are reimagining today's tattoo parlor - St. Louis Magazine - February 6th, 2021
- Marijuana law reform in Japan contingent on the message - The Japan Times - February 6th, 2021
- Bricks placed in Southern Indiana remember those who have died from drug overdose - WHAS11.com - February 6th, 2021
- Vans Tapped 4 Artists to Design Shoes For Black History Month, and We Talked to Them All - POPSUGAR - February 6th, 2021
- 20 Interesting Facts About the South Korean Boy Band BTS - Music in Minnesota - Music in Minnesota - February 6th, 2021
- 10 Celebs Who Have Face Tattoos | TheThings - TheThings - February 6th, 2021
- Walter Suza: A city along the Mississippi seeks to defeat hate - Ames Tribune - February 6th, 2021
- If Norman Rockwell were alive today: North Jersey photo exhibit updates iconic artists works - NJ.com - February 4th, 2021
- Jhene Aiko & 9 Other Celebs Who Got Huge Portraits Of Their Partners Tattooed On Them - TheThings - February 4th, 2021
- Columbus rappers and engineers embrace work from home with new DIY spaces - Columbus Alive - February 4th, 2021
- Chris Evans Has Way More Tattoos Than You Think - menshealth.com - February 4th, 2021
- The sweet side of a sour pandemic - IU Southeast Horizon - February 4th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Sun - February 4th, 2021
- No one said folding clothes was easy, but this folding board makes it quick - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 4th, 2021
- Bedford Has a Year-Round All-Horror Shop - Dallas Observer - February 4th, 2021
- 'Basic' tattoos artists secretly hate doing - and the ones they'll refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 4th, 2021
- One Arm Willie makes his mark on the local tattoo industry - Mountain Xpress - February 4th, 2021
- How to plan your tattoo - Nation Online - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - February 4th, 2021
- The most basic tattoos artists secretly hate as they reveal the one inking they will NEVER do - The Sun - February 2nd, 2021
- Six tattoos artists secretly hate doing and the one inking they refuse to do - Daily Star - February 2nd, 2021